Baby Bear is in the house

Hope 650B on a budget (rims and tires)

Could someone please direct me to an online shop that has good deals on 650B rims and tires?

650B is still practically non-existent here in the Philippines (heck, to date, we only have one shop in the country that has a fairly good selection of 29er stuff) but I really want to try this out on my current rigid ride (and an eventual new frame I hope to have built up by year-end).

On rims, I was hoping to get the Alex XD-Lite 650B, seeing as how Alex has become quite popular locally. Unfortunately, the local Alex distributor will only bring in the 650B rims for orders of 100 units or more(!). I don't own a bike shop, so that route is moot.

It's been mentioned here somewhere that the Alex's retail for about USD40, but I can't find them listed anywhere. I was surprised, though, to find out that the Sun Equalizer27 is going for only USD34 over on Universal Cycles. Is the Eq27 650B any good? They're a little too heavy for me (was hoping for sub-500g rims), but at that price, I won't complain.

Any word on when the WTB 650B rims will be available?

Also, who's got the best price for Pacenti Quasi-Motos? I realise the prices for the Pacenti tires are governed by supply/demand, but I find it a bit shocking that they're more expensive than my car tires!

I'm hoping to keep item costs down as much as possible on this "experiment", as the shipping would easily double my overall expenses

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Email Chad at Red Barn Bikes - see what he can do.

or

Try the guys at www.bikeman.com - they are very 650b friendly.

Also - ebay may be your friend as well.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Even in the states, 650b is still a very oddball size. So far in my ongoing experiment, nothing related to this wheelsize is cheap or available.

I live in a major metro city (Phoenix) and to my knowledge only one shop does any 650b stuff at all. I managed to get a deal on Neos takeoffs at that shop, $30 each, which is roughly half price.

Two week ago, I ordered a set of wheels from Red Barn (Sun rims, Hope front/Shimano rear). Last piece of my build puzzle. Still waiting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go to Speedgoat or someone similar that price-matches, put in the lowest price that you have googled, and you can get a pair of Quasi's shipped free in the US for around $100. There are a number of rims available to build yourself.

I haven't had any problems finding 650b stuff in the 2 years I've ridden this wheelsize. My timing must have been right. In fact I ended up with extra rims and sold off two sets while keeping a spare pair plus tires.

How about Australian sources for the Philippines?

MMcG, Blatant,

Thanks for the responses so far guys

I'll look into Red Barn and Bikeman.com.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    Go to Speedgoat or someone similar that price-matches, put in the lowest price that you have googled, and you can get a pair of Quasi's shipped free in the US for around $100. There are a number of rims available to build yourself.

I haven't had any problems finding 650b stuff in the 2 years I've ridden this wheelsize. My timing must have been right. In fact I ended up with extra rims and sold off two sets while keeping a spare pair plus tires.

How about Australian sources for the Philippines?
    Thanks mate.

I've actually PM'd Stu at Definitive Cycles (Au), but he hasn't got back to me yet. I guess I should follow up with him.

cheers

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The outside date for my wheel delivery has come and gone. My 650b build still sits on the stand, where it's been for the last two weeks.

All said and done, I should have bought my own parts and learned how to lace wheels myself. Live and learn, I guess.

Members who have read this thread: 0