62 YO MTB newbie seeks advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

62 YO MTB newbie seeks advice

Thanks in advance.

I'm almost 62, an intermediate road rider who can ride forever but gets challenged on steep ascents, a little overweight, with one balky knee. I've never ridden a mountain bike.

I live in Central NJ where there are nice trails. My goal for those who know this part of the world is to do full loops in Washington Valley Park. Here's a preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDr4gIhYFKg

I don't plan on racing and suspect I won't ride the bike terribly hard. I've decided on a 27.5/27.5+ because it's use will be trails and I think I'm less likely to crash on one than on a 29er. I've also decided on a single in the front.

Money matters.

These are the bikes I'm thinking about. The Cube is $760 and the others just under $1100 (prices delivered). The Salsa is from a LBS and the others mail order but I'd have to self fit it. I will use it to ride trails and nothing harder than "moderate." I welcome your input. Iím not going to push the bike terribly hard so my instinct tells me the Cube would be plenty of bike for me.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...cJKF6VaSa6I_2k

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...erjack_xt_27.5

This one wouldn't come until mid-June. Otherwise it'd be my favorite https://www.fezzari.com/mountain-bikes/wasatch-peak-comp-275-plus

I appreciate your guidance.

Ride what you like!
    The direct sales bikes require some assembly. Bikeshop bikes come with some maintenance support. That can be a big difference maker for some.
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jimicoltrane View Post
    Thanks in advance.

I'm almost 62, an intermediate road rider who can ride forever but gets challenged on steep ascents, a little overweight, with one balky knee. I've never ridden a mountain bike.

I live in Central NJ where there are nice trails. My goal for those who know this part of the world is to do full loops in Washington Valley Park. Here's a preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDr4gIhYFKg

I don't plan on racing and suspect I won't ride the bike terribly hard. I've decided on a 27.5/27.5+ because it's use will be trails and I think I'm less likely to crash on one than on a 29er. I've also decided on a single in the front.

Money matters.

These are the bikes I'm thinking about. The Cube is $760 and the others just under $1100 (prices delivered). The Salsa is from a LBS and the others mail order but I'd have to self fit it. I will use it to ride trails and nothing harder than "moderate." I welcome your input. Iím not going to push the bike terribly hard so my instinct tells me the Cube would be plenty of bike for me.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...cJKF6VaSa6I_2k

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...erjack_xt_27.5

This one wouldn't come until mid-June. Otherwise it'd be my favorite https://www.fezzari.com/mountain-bikes/wasatch-peak-comp-275-plus

I appreciate your guidance.
    Those alllook like decent bikes. Spec wise differences come to small things. The cube if u can get that discounted price is not bad. What u lose out is forK is not very adjustable. And wheels are not through axle, not a deal breaker if not going hard into trails.
    The fezzarri you lose out on gear range. If climbings not your strong suit and youve got steep climbs, you might miss that.

Hi There!
    Without even looking at the bikes, I'd say support the LBS if you can; and they will support you. If they are decent. They should at least give you a basic fitting which can make a huge difference.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I'd get the Fezzari out of those...but if I had $1100 to spend, I'd scour the classifieds over at Pinkbike waiting for just the right deal. Like this one....GX drivetrain, better fork, dropper post included. Great deal if it's the right size for you https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2671393/
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    ^Ditto that, good advice.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I have ridden out there. I would go to Hilltop cycles and try out either the Timberjack or specialized Fuse

Also look on Mtbnj.com for used bikes

mtbr member
    Try shopping local bike shops. Get on the bikes. Test ride them and even see if you can rent one. Sometimes, a bike seems like a good match upon reading specs but one you buy it without a ride... youíre stuck with it. Donít be afraid to shop used bikes. For the reasons Iíve mentioned, people sell lightly used bikes because they donít fit.

See if any people you know ride mountain bikes and borrow one for a day. If you get a bike that doesnít fit your size or riding style, it may just end up in the garage.
    It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

mtbr member
    Some good advice from Root Beer.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR

mtbr member
    Specialized Fuse and Trek Stache are similar to that Salsa. You could probably find a local dealer who carries those and help with repairs, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Root Beer View Post
    Try shopping local bike shops. Get on the bikes. Test ride them and even see if you can rent one. Sometimes, a bike seems like a good match upon reading specs but one you buy it without a ride... youíre stuck with it. Donít be afraid to shop used bikes. For the reasons Iíve mentioned, people sell lightly used bikes because they donít fit.

See if any people you know ride mountain bikes and borrow one for a day. If you get a bike that doesnít fit your size or riding style, it may just end up in the garage.
    Thanks to you and everyone for your replies.

Unfortunately in NJ trying a bike at a bike store these days is not happening. Stores here are open for repairs. To buy a bike you give them a card, they roll the bike out, and you take it away. Makes the process much more hit and miss.

Based on research and feedback I went with the Salsa w/ 27.5+ tires in Deore trim. I picked it up today.

Fortunately, I sold my old Giant road bike yesterday for a good price and am selling a hybrid I have also (along with a guitar amplifier). The sale of all will cover the bike, pedals, shoes, and helmet.

I'll be reading this forum religiously for a while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I have ridden out there. I would go to Hilltop cycles and try out either the Timberjack or specialized Fuse

Also look on Mtbnj.com for used bikes
    That looks like a good website for me. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I started mountainbiking when I was 51 and have been an athlete all my life. Ive never felt stronger or had less knee pain in my life since I started riding! Rip it up Jim !!!!