5010 build ...choices, choices...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    22

    5010 build ...choices, choices...

    I think I'm leaning towards the 5010, and getting close to pulling the trigger before the season starts getting away from me. Just a little conflicted on the exact build. I've gone from Aluminum R build ($3400, 32.4lbs) to trying to talk myself into somehow stretching out to Carbon C S build ($4900, 28.8lbs)...WTH is wrong with me?!?

    I rode a demo 5010 from the LBS that was an XO1 Carbon CC ($6900, 26.9lbs), and of course was awesome (damn them). I'm a beginner that will "probably" be hangin on to this for a while. I just dont want to get an inferior spec'd bike that weighs much more, and regret it.

    Also - each build of course has the option of regular (2.3" Maxxis), or + (2.6" Maxxis) builds. I noticed the + adds about 3/4lb to the overall weight)...what is the right reason to get + over the non+?

    I'm not even sure why I am so caught up on weight, because I have plenty of my own to lose, but that demo just felt so light and agile. Does an additional 4-5lbs change this if I went with an AL bike?

    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I can overanalyze this to death, and talk myself into spending another $1500...I just dont know if its worth it...and if I did in fact want to get a different bike in a year of 2...not sure how much I'd get back out of it on resale...?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    222
    I originally wanted a R+ Aluminum build but ended up with a Carbon C R build. Changed the wheelset out for a wider set and made my own R+ build.

    After seeing the Aluminum models in the wild, I'm glad I went the Carbon C frame, it just looks better IMO. Weight difference is not much really.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//MRP

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    884
    You will be very happy with a high end aluminum build. Get the plus wheels. They come with 2.6" tires which are not plus, but they have the clearance for 2.8". Weight does not matter. Suspension performance and tires matter a lot.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,115
    I would get the AL S+. It is worth the extra money over the AL R build for the build spec/performance gains, and it makes no sense to buy the R c build over the AL S build for the same reason IMO.

    You'd have to have ridden an alum. frame first to feel the subtle differences to a carbon frame. It's very nuanced and subjective. Only 1/2 lb lighter, a little stiffer, and a little more direct to accelerate. You'd never really miss it, and in general, an alum. frame is a lot more forgiving of scrapes and bangs, which you will probably have your fare share of.

    My Sc+ in L with Time special 8 pedals, One Up bash/CG, and tire sealant came in just over 31 lbs. So even the carbon S is no light weight, which was a little disappointing to me. Not to mention, I have to worry more about hitting my frame. If I had to do it over again, I would've gotten the Al S+ and put the money saved into better wheels.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,842
    I'm looking at a new SC bike right now. I currently have a 2015 V1 5010C with a build that was likely called all mountain or something like that four years ago. When the bike arrived, I had the shop put it on the scale before I added anything and the quoted weight was exactly what SC said it would be. Truth in advertising does exist.

    At the moment, I think I'm interested in either a Megatower or Bronson. The weight of the Megatower with an S build is almost exactly the same as a Bronson A with an S build which made me realize that if I was satisfied with the weight of a C Megatower at 33.3 lbs., why not save $1000 and go with a Bronson A with the S build that also weights 33.3 lbs.

    At 200 lbs. and in decent shape so I won't be losing any weight, the bike weight is 16.6 % of my total weight. If I spent a bunch more money and got something around 30 lbs., its still 15% of my body weight and nothing to sweat over since I'm not racing where it might make a difference and I'd be on a different bike anyway.

    PS: They really do suck you in with the demo bikes. I rode a Blur worth about 10K last season and fell totally in love with a 24lbs. +/- bike I would never buy.

    I want to correct an error: I was comparing the weight of a Bronson Aluminum with and S build to a Megatower Carbon R build. Those two weigh and cost almost the same. I was more focused on what you get for a similar cost going from carbon to aluminum. Sorry for the mistaken info.
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 06-14-2019 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Factual correction

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    16
    I went through this recently and what I came away with after hearing a few people's thoughts and sitting with my own is to get a 5010 aluminum S build. As a relative beginner and considering the trails I ride (or want to ride), my gut is telling me to focus on better components and not the frame so much. I don't want to have to upgrade a lot of stuff unless I have to. I want to not worry about the frame (I do fall sometimes, and that's OK!). While I would be more comfortable spending $3,300 for an R build, at that point, another $600 is a drop in the bucket, you know what I mean? It's insane. However, I've ridden a Trek 6000 for over a year now and demoed various bikes with different wheel sizes and travel and for me, as a smaller, newer rider, who enjoys climbing and wants to continue to improve and actually get out there...the 5010 is the way to go. I see lots of folks with this bike here and have spoken to them and I know, for these trails, and the rider I *want* to be, that this is the bike for me. When you feel at peace with your decision...that is the time to act, and not before. Don't rush it...it will come to you. Sorry to be new-agey but it's true!! Good luck!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    23
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm looking / shopping and reading everything I can to make up my mind. I was in one shop and the owner told me she only orders the S build on the bikes she stocks as she believes that's the sweet spot for price and value to her customers. I went to my favorite local shop and talked bike vs budget and came away wanting a Santa Cruz but have it narrowed down to the 5010 if I stay with the 27.5 wheels and a toss up of the Hightower and tallboy if I go 29er. I feel the tallboy is better for my local trails but possibly the HT is better when I go on my yearly vacation trips out of town to places I dream all year about riding.
    I was contemplating the giant trance 29 because it's in my budget safely while the Santa Cruz bikes mean I'm really pushing my budget and possibly saving up longer to get one. maybe the price on 2019 stock will come down once the 2020's come out. good luck and I'm hoping hear how it works out for you since I'm trying to decide the same.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    402
    The S build is the best option from Santa Cruz. I didn't realize this till just recently but the 5010 S carbon build come with an upgraded shock. The DPX2 is a really great shock for this bike. That $900 difference between the carbon and aluminum builds really should be a no brainer based on the shock upgrade.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,115
    When the v3 was first released, I'm almost positive the alum S build also had the performance dpx2 listed in the parts spec. Wonder if they changed the build, or if it was just a misprint on the web page.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    937
    Aluminum s build is the best value. As others have said, the weight diff from al to carbon c frame is negligible. The 3-4 lb weight difference you're seeing is mostly the tires and wheels for plus. Personally I don't think plus tires are worth the weight penalty with full suspension. They give you better traction but make the bike less nimble.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rob214 View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm looking / shopping and reading everything I can to make up my mind. I was in one shop and the owner told me she only orders the S build on the bikes she stocks as she believes that's the sweet spot for price and value to her customers. I went to my favorite local shop and talked bike vs budget and came away wanting a Santa Cruz but have it narrowed down to the 5010 if I stay with the 27.5 wheels and a toss up of the Hightower and tallboy if I go 29er. I feel the tallboy is better for my local trails but possibly the HT is better when I go on my yearly vacation trips out of town to places I dream all year about riding.
    I was contemplating the giant trance 29 because it's in my budget safely while the Santa Cruz bikes mean I'm really pushing my budget and possibly saving up longer to get one. maybe the price on 2019 stock will come down once the 2020's come out. good luck and I'm hoping hear how it works out for you since I'm trying to decide the same.

    So, I want to respond to this by saying that focusing on the trails you ride most of the time makes the most sense, right? Maybe at some point you can find a used one for the trails you dream about riding. But I think getting the bike that is best for what you want to ride most of the time will help get you out there and appreciate those trails the most.

    It sounds like people agree here that the S build is the best value, which is reassuring. And aluminum!! YES!!

    I want you guys (mostly guys, right?) to think about weight in this way: the S build is 25% of my weight! So please don't trip on a pound or two on carbon vs. aluminum. My bike would have to be 18 lbs. to be 15% of my weight. If you can tell that carbon feels different and you like that fine...but weight? Come on!

    SC is *supposed* to be releasing 2020 bikes in July (like in a couple of days!). I don't know if they are on schedule. Just new colors and supposedly no changes to the bikes. I know this because a couple of weeks ago, I went into my local shop, ready to get a quote on a 5010 S build in aluminum (thanks in part to you all). They are OUT of the smalls. So, I am continuing to look for a used one, but since most used bikes out there are mediums and larges, I'm going to have to wait for the new colors. My understanding about SC is that they don't really want their bikes to be sold *on sale* because it "diminishes the brand" so to speak. You might see 10% off but it won't really be advertised too much. You might be able to ask your local shop for a little deal, but honestly, they don't make much. I should probably know this, but they make around $500 on a bike that's $4K. They are depending on you to come back and get it serviced, tell your friends, and get your kids' bikes there. So, start selling stuff! Get a 0% credit card! Get freelance work! Because those new bikes are coming out soon and you don't want to wait until they are sold out, like me...and then have to wait an indeterminate amount of time. Not the worst thing in the world, but a bit annoying. Good luck!!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,115
    As a long time 2.35 tire user, I find the 2.6 tires put a big grin on my face. I may try a 2.5, but doubt I'd go smaller than that again.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    22
    What a difference 2 weeks makes. I rode a 29'er demo out on my trails, and really loved the additional rollover ability, and it was properly sized for me (my first one was too big, and I felt like I was on top of it). So, long story short, I went the other direction, and ended up with an Ibis Ripley v4 (carbon, NX, Fox Factory) - very difficult to get right now, but my LBS had one that somebody backed out of. Rode it yesterday, and absolutely loved it. Thanks to everybody for the feedback! If budget allowed, I'd love a 5010 as an alternate bike...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    23
    have fun on the new bike

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    When the v3 was first released, I'm almost positive the alum S build also had the performance dpx2 listed in the parts spec. Wonder if they changed the build, or if it was just a misprint on the web page.
    The owner of the shop I ordered from assured me the S+ aluminum I ordered a little over a week ago does come with the DPX2. He checked his hard copy spec book and it was listed there so we concluded it was a misprint on the website. I'll know for sure in about a week when I pick it up.

  16. #16
    Coffee Drinker
    Reputation: Taildragger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    The owner of the shop I ordered from assured me the S+ aluminum I ordered a little over a week ago does come with the DPX2. He checked his hard copy spec book and it was listed there so we concluded it was a misprint on the website. I'll know for sure in about a week when I pick it up.
    The last one we got (aliminum S build) had a DPS, not the DPX2. Please keep us posted.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    The last one we got (aliminum S build) had a DPS, not the DPX2. Please keep us posted.
    I will let you know. So did you upgrade yourself to the DPX2? I see in the 5010 thread that you are talking about it. I guess you noticed a real difference between the two?

  18. #18
    Coffee Drinker
    Reputation: Taildragger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    I will let you know. So did you upgrade yourself to the DPX2? I see in the 5010 thread that you are talking about it. I guess you noticed a real difference between the two?
    We are dealers,,
    I'm riding a C S now that is bone stock, except for the wheels, brakes, rotors, crankset, saddle, tires, fork, stem and handlebars. I've ridden the DPS and it is okay, not a deal breaker but still a good opportunity to upgrade if you want. I'm really thinking about a Canecreek DB CS Air. I have one on my Bronson and I'm really impressed with it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AF2NR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    239
    @Taildragger would you say in your opinion that the C S build is a sweet spot of sorts for what you get? It gets many upgrades for $900. Also since you ride both "if" you could only ride one or the other, and it be your only FS bike, would you go 5010 or Bronson?

  20. #20
    Coffee Drinker
    Reputation: Taildragger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    217
    C S build is definitely the 'sweet spot'. As to one or the other,,,, well I chose one of each. Saying that,,, I am finding that the 5010 is actually more capable than I ever imagined.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AF2NR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    C S build is definitely the 'sweet spot'. As to one or the other,,,, well I chose one of each. Saying that,,, I am finding that the 5010 is actually more capable than I ever imagined.
    Thanks! I'm currently riding a Blur CC TR with 120/100 travel and while it gets around most all my trails/lines it isn't as playful and fun as I'd like. Did a demo on the 5010 and has a blast with it so I've though about picking one up and getting rid of my Blur.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    Thanks! I'm currently riding a Blur CC TR with 120/100 travel and while it gets around most all my trails/lines it isn't as playful and fun as I'd like. Did a demo on the 5010 and has a blast with it so I've though about picking one up and getting rid of my Blur.
    2020 colors are in! Frames available next week. D and R builds in aluminum releasing mid to late July. S builds (the sweet spot) releasing after that (TBD). Robins Egg with Orange and Dark Gray with Light gray (bleh!). Waiting patiently...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by joaquin_miller View Post
    2020 colors are in! Frames available next week. D and R builds in aluminum releasing mid to late July. S builds (the sweet spot) releasing after that (TBD). Robins Egg with Orange and Dark Gray with Light gray (bleh!). Waiting patiently...
    I loved both 2018 colors, but 19 and 20 colors are so bad I had to buy something else. I don't know what they're thinking. Gray two years in a row? Purple? What's wrong with red, green, blue, yellow, orange? Even brown would be better than any of these. I'm not quite sure what the thought process was with the colors the last two years.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I loved both 2018 colors, but 19 and 20 colors are so bad I had to buy something else. I don't know what they're thinking. Gray two years in a row? Purple? What's wrong with red, green, blue, yellow, orange? Even brown would be better than any of these. I'm not quite sure what the thought process was with the colors the last two years.
    I'm curious if they didn't sell many of these because I'm seeing four colors available on their website. I think the purple looks great but I covered up the black decals with something brighter.



    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I loved both 2018 colors, but 19 and 20 colors are so bad I had to buy something else. I don't know what they're thinking. Gray two years in a row? Purple? What's wrong with red, green, blue, yellow, orange? Even brown would be better than any of these. I'm not quite sure what the thought process was with the colors the last two years.
    NO kidding. I want to get on the board or something there. I do not love Robins Egg, but I am stuck on this GD bike. At least it's not this yellow:
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/hightower. How gross!!

    This is my first FS bike. I will get another and if I take care of this...someone will want to buy it. I wanted candy apple red....alas. At least my Subaru is a great color. I'm holding on to that. And this bike will stand out, which is nice. Hopefully in a good way. OK I'm done now.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    I'm curious if they didn't sell many of these because I'm seeing four colors available on their website. I think the purple looks great but I covered up the black decals with something brighter.



    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    The new colors were just announced last weekend I think, so that's why you see both the 19 and 20 colors on the website.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AF2NR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    The new colors were just announced last weekend I think, so that's why you see both the 19 and 20 colors on the website.
    Not all bikes are showing both colors since the release on 7/2. The Blur is only showing the two new colors. Iíd guess that there still may be some models/sizes in the old colors still. I know I checked on a C S build in L before the new colors were released and they didnít have any?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,115
    The purple rocks. You guys are crazy. I get a random compliment all the time, and most of them are chicks.... so..... I don't care if they think I'm riding the new Juliana.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    Not all bikes are showing both colors since the release on 7/2. The Blur is only showing the two new colors. Iíd guess that there still may be some models/sizes in the old colors still. I know I checked on a C S build in L before the new colors were released and they didnít have any?
    That's correct. Some 2019 colors are available in certain builds and in certain sizes only. No small aluminum S builds in any 2019 colors...hence my Robins Egg decision. I'm sure "chicks" will like it however that doesn't help me very much, now does it?!

  30. #30
    Hi There!
    Reputation: TheGweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,631
    My Matte Carbon and Silver>anything else. The more people that don't like it the better.
    NTFTC

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    The last one we got (aliminum S build) had a DPS, not the DPX2. Please keep us posted.
    Picked mine up yesterday and it does have the DPX2!

  32. #32
    Coffee Drinker
    Reputation: Taildragger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    217
    Cool!!! You're gonna love it!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AF2NR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    Picked mine up yesterday and it does have the DPX2!
    That is awesome! If I knew for a fact I could get one like that I would jump at it and save the money over the carbon.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AF2NR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    239

    New Bike Day

    Picked up my 5010 today, C S build, and have a skills clinic tomorrow. Looking forward to many fun times!5010 build ...choices, choices...-91a4d4a9-b7be-430b-a2c6-21a63c04f58b.jpg
    So many trails, so little time.

    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 C S
    2019 Santa Cruz Blur CC TR X01 (FOR SALE)

Similar Threads

  1. Choices choices and more choices??
    By Rlbol in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-06-2015, 01:11 PM
  2. Choices, Choices, Choices... Could you help me find the right one?
    By AKnRDR in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 08:02 PM
  3. Hubs, choices choices choices....
    By MendonCycleSmith in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 03:01 PM
  4. Choices, choices, choices..
    By Low_Rider in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 01:13 AM
  5. choices, choices, choices
    By mcruzgt in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:59 PM

Members who have read this thread: 110

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.