5010 build ...choices, choices...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

5010 build ...choices, choices...

I think I'm leaning towards the 5010, and getting close to pulling the trigger before the season starts getting away from me. Just a little conflicted on the exact build. I've gone from Aluminum R build ($3400, 32.4lbs) to trying to talk myself into somehow stretching out to Carbon C S build ($4900, 28.8lbs)...WTH is wrong with me?!?

I rode a demo 5010 from the LBS that was an XO1 Carbon CC ($6900, 26.9lbs), and of course was awesome (damn them). I'm a beginner that will "probably" be hangin on to this for a while. I just dont want to get an inferior spec'd bike that weighs much more, and regret it.

Also - each build of course has the option of regular (2.3" Maxxis), or + (2.6" Maxxis) builds. I noticed the + adds about 3/4lb to the overall weight)...what is the right reason to get + over the non+?

I'm not even sure why I am so caught up on weight, because I have plenty of my own to lose, but that demo just felt so light and agile. Does an additional 4-5lbs change this if I went with an AL bike?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I can overanalyze this to death, and talk myself into spending another $1500...I just dont know if its worth it...and if I did in fact want to get a different bike in a year of 2...not sure how much I'd get back out of it on resale...?

mtbr member
    I originally wanted a R+ Aluminum build but ended up with a Carbon C R build. Changed the wheelset out for a wider set and made my own R+ build.

After seeing the Aluminum models in the wild, I'm glad I went the Carbon C frame, it just looks better IMO. Weight difference is not much really.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//DVO

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    You will be very happy with a high end aluminum build. Get the plus wheels. They come with 2.6" tires which are not plus, but they have the clearance for 2.8". Weight does not matter. Suspension performance and tires matter a lot.

mtbr member
    I would get the AL S+. It is worth the extra money over the AL R build for the build spec/performance gains, and it makes no sense to buy the R c build over the AL S build for the same reason IMO.

You'd have to have ridden an alum. frame first to feel the subtle differences to a carbon frame. It's very nuanced and subjective. Only 1/2 lb lighter, a little stiffer, and a little more direct to accelerate. You'd never really miss it, and in general, an alum. frame is a lot more forgiving of scrapes and bangs, which you will probably have your fare share of.

My Sc+ in L with Time special 8 pedals, One Up bash/CG, and tire sealant came in just over 31 lbs. So even the carbon S is no light weight, which was a little disappointing to me. Not to mention, I have to worry more about hitting my frame. If I had to do it over again, I would've gotten the Al S+ and put the money saved into better wheels.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at a new SC bike right now. I currently have a 2015 V1 5010C with a build that was likely called all mountain or something like that four years ago. When the bike arrived, I had the shop put it on the scale before I added anything and the quoted weight was exactly what SC said it would be. Truth in advertising does exist.

At the moment, I think I'm interested in either a Megatower or Bronson. The weight of the Megatower with an S build is almost exactly the same as a Bronson A with an S build which made me realize that if I was satisfied with the weight of a C Megatower at 33.3 lbs., why not save $1000 and go with a Bronson A with the S build that also weights 33.3 lbs.

At 200 lbs. and in decent shape so I won't be losing any weight, the bike weight is 16.6 % of my total weight. If I spent a bunch more money and got something around 30 lbs., its still 15% of my body weight and nothing to sweat over since I'm not racing where it might make a difference and I'd be on a different bike anyway.

PS: They really do suck you in with the demo bikes. I rode a Blur worth about 10K last season and fell totally in love with a 24lbs. +/- bike I would never buy.

I want to correct an error: I was comparing the weight of a Bronson Aluminum with and S build to a Megatower Carbon R build. Those two weigh and cost almost the same. I was more focused on what you get for a similar cost going from carbon to aluminum. Sorry for the mistaken info.
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 06-14-2019 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Factual correction

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I went through this recently and what I came away with after hearing a few people's thoughts and sitting with my own is to get a 5010 aluminum S build. As a relative beginner and considering the trails I ride (or want to ride), my gut is telling me to focus on better components and not the frame so much. I don't want to have to upgrade a lot of stuff unless I have to. I want to not worry about the frame (I do fall sometimes, and that's OK!). While I would be more comfortable spending $3,300 for an R build, at that point, another $600 is a drop in the bucket, you know what I mean? It's insane. However, I've ridden a Trek 6000 for over a year now and demoed various bikes with different wheel sizes and travel and for me, as a smaller, newer rider, who enjoys climbing and wants to continue to improve and actually get out there...the 5010 is the way to go. I see lots of folks with this bike here and have spoken to them and I know, for these trails, and the rider I *want* to be, that this is the bike for me. When you feel at peace with your decision...that is the time to act, and not before. Don't rush it...it will come to you. Sorry to be new-agey but it's true!! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm looking / shopping and reading everything I can to make up my mind. I was in one shop and the owner told me she only orders the S build on the bikes she stocks as she believes that's the sweet spot for price and value to her customers. I went to my favorite local shop and talked bike vs budget and came away wanting a Santa Cruz but have it narrowed down to the 5010 if I stay with the 27.5 wheels and a toss up of the Hightower and tallboy if I go 29er. I feel the tallboy is better for my local trails but possibly the HT is better when I go on my yearly vacation trips out of town to places I dream all year about riding.
    I was contemplating the giant trance 29 because it's in my budget safely while the Santa Cruz bikes mean I'm really pushing my budget and possibly saving up longer to get one. maybe the price on 2019 stock will come down once the 2020's come out. good luck and I'm hoping hear how it works out for you since I'm trying to decide the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The S build is the best option from Santa Cruz. I didn't realize this till just recently but the 5010 S carbon build come with an upgraded shock. The DPX2 is a really great shock for this bike. That $900 difference between the carbon and aluminum builds really should be a no brainer based on the shock upgrade.

mtbr member
    When the v3 was first released, I'm almost positive the alum S build also had the performance dpx2 listed in the parts spec. Wonder if they changed the build, or if it was just a misprint on the web page.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Aluminum s build is the best value. As others have said, the weight diff from al to carbon c frame is negligible. The 3-4 lb weight difference you're seeing is mostly the tires and wheels for plus. Personally I don't think plus tires are worth the weight penalty with full suspension. They give you better traction but make the bike less nimble.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rob214 View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm looking / shopping and reading everything I can to make up my mind. I was in one shop and the owner told me she only orders the S build on the bikes she stocks as she believes that's the sweet spot for price and value to her customers. I went to my favorite local shop and talked bike vs budget and came away wanting a Santa Cruz but have it narrowed down to the 5010 if I stay with the 27.5 wheels and a toss up of the Hightower and tallboy if I go 29er. I feel the tallboy is better for my local trails but possibly the HT is better when I go on my yearly vacation trips out of town to places I dream all year about riding.
    I was contemplating the giant trance 29 because it's in my budget safely while the Santa Cruz bikes mean I'm really pushing my budget and possibly saving up longer to get one. maybe the price on 2019 stock will come down once the 2020's come out. good luck and I'm hoping hear how it works out for you since I'm trying to decide the same.

So, I want to respond to this by saying that focusing on the trails you ride most of the time makes the most sense, right? Maybe at some point you can find a used one for the trails you dream about riding. But I think getting the bike that is best for what you want to ride most of the time will help get you out there and appreciate those trails the most.

It sounds like people agree here that the S build is the best value, which is reassuring. And aluminum!! YES!!

I want you guys (mostly guys, right?) to think about weight in this way: the S build is 25% of my weight! So please don't trip on a pound or two on carbon vs. aluminum. My bike would have to be 18 lbs. to be 15% of my weight. If you can tell that carbon feels different and you like that fine...but weight? Come on!

SC is *supposed* to be releasing 2020 bikes in July (like in a couple of days!). I don't know if they are on schedule. Just new colors and supposedly no changes to the bikes. I know this because a couple of weeks ago, I went into my local shop, ready to get a quote on a 5010 S build in aluminum (thanks in part to you all). They are OUT of the smalls. So, I am continuing to look for a used one, but since most used bikes out there are mediums and larges, I'm going to have to wait for the new colors. My understanding about SC is that they don't really want their bikes to be sold *on sale* because it "diminishes the brand" so to speak. You might see 10% off but it won't really be advertised too much. You might be able to ask your local shop for a little deal, but honestly, they don't make much. I should probably know this, but they make around $500 on a bike that's $4K. They are depending on you to come back and get it serviced, tell your friends, and get your kids' bikes there. So, start selling stuff! Get a 0% credit card! Get freelance work! Because those new bikes are coming out soon and you don't want to wait until they are sold out, like me...and then have to wait an indeterminate amount of time. Not the worst thing in the world, but a bit annoying. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    As a long time 2.35 tire user, I find the 2.6 tires put a big grin on my face. I may try a 2.5, but doubt I'd go smaller than that again.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    What a difference 2 weeks makes. I rode a 29'er demo out on my trails, and really loved the additional rollover ability, and it was properly sized for me (my first one was too big, and I felt like I was on top of it). So, long story short, I went the other direction, and ended up with an Ibis Ripley v4 (carbon, NX, Fox Factory) - very difficult to get right now, but my LBS had one that somebody backed out of. Rode it yesterday, and absolutely loved it. Thanks to everybody for the feedback! If budget allowed, I'd love a 5010 as an alternate bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    have fun on the new bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    When the v3 was first released, I'm almost positive the alum S build also had the performance dpx2 listed in the parts spec. Wonder if they changed the build, or if it was just a misprint on the web page.
    The owner of the shop I ordered from assured me the S+ aluminum I ordered a little over a week ago does come with the DPX2. He checked his hard copy spec book and it was listed there so we concluded it was a misprint on the website. I'll know for sure in about a week when I pick it up.

Coffee Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    The owner of the shop I ordered from assured me the S+ aluminum I ordered a little over a week ago does come with the DPX2. He checked his hard copy spec book and it was listed there so we concluded it was a misprint on the website. I'll know for sure in about a week when I pick it up.
    The last one we got (aliminum S build) had a DPS, not the DPX2. Please keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    The last one we got (aliminum S build) had a DPS, not the DPX2. Please keep us posted.
    I will let you know. So did you upgrade yourself to the DPX2? I see in the 5010 thread that you are talking about it. I guess you noticed a real difference between the two?

Coffee Drinker
    I will let you know. So did you upgrade yourself to the DPX2? I see in the 5010 thread that you are talking about it. I guess you noticed a real difference between the two?
    We are dealers,,
    I'm riding a C S now that is bone stock, except for the wheels, brakes, rotors, crankset, saddle, tires, fork, stem and handlebars. I've ridden the DPS and it is okay, not a deal breaker but still a good opportunity to upgrade if you want. I'm really thinking about a Canecreek DB CS Air. I have one on my Bronson and I'm really impressed with it.

mtbr member
    @Taildragger would you say in your opinion that the C S build is a sweet spot of sorts for what you get? It gets many upgrades for $900. Also since you ride both "if" you could only ride one or the other, and it be your only FS bike, would you go 5010 or Bronson?

Coffee Drinker
    C S build is definitely the 'sweet spot'. As to one or the other,,,, well I chose one of each. Saying that,,, I am finding that the 5010 is actually more capable than I ever imagined.

mtbr member
    C S build is definitely the 'sweet spot'. As to one or the other,,,, well I chose one of each. Saying that,,, I am finding that the 5010 is actually more capable than I ever imagined.
    Thanks! I'm currently riding a Blur CC TR with 120/100 travel and while it gets around most all my trails/lines it isn't as playful and fun as I'd like. Did a demo on the 5010 and has a blast with it so I've though about picking one up and getting rid of my Blur.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    Thanks! I'm currently riding a Blur CC TR with 120/100 travel and while it gets around most all my trails/lines it isn't as playful and fun as I'd like. Did a demo on the 5010 and has a blast with it so I've though about picking one up and getting rid of my Blur.
    2020 colors are in! Frames available next week. D and R builds in aluminum releasing mid to late July. S builds (the sweet spot) releasing after that (TBD). Robins Egg with Orange and Dark Gray with Light gray (bleh!). Waiting patiently...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by joaquin_miller View Post
    2020 colors are in! Frames available next week. D and R builds in aluminum releasing mid to late July. S builds (the sweet spot) releasing after that (TBD). Robins Egg with Orange and Dark Gray with Light gray (bleh!). Waiting patiently...
    I loved both 2018 colors, but 19 and 20 colors are so bad I had to buy something else. I don't know what they're thinking. Gray two years in a row? Purple? What's wrong with red, green, blue, yellow, orange? Even brown would be better than any of these. I'm not quite sure what the thought process was with the colors the last two years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I loved both 2018 colors, but 19 and 20 colors are so bad I had to buy something else. I don't know what they're thinking. Gray two years in a row? Purple? What's wrong with red, green, blue, yellow, orange? Even brown would be better than any of these. I'm not quite sure what the thought process was with the colors the last two years.
    I'm curious if they didn't sell many of these because I'm seeing four colors available on their website. I think the purple looks great but I covered up the black decals with something brighter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    NO kidding. I want to get on the board or something there. I do not love Robins Egg, but I am stuck on this GD bike. At least it's not this yellow:
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/hightower. How gross!!

This is my first FS bike. I will get another and if I take care of this...someone will want to buy it. I wanted candy apple red....alas. At least my Subaru is a great color. I'm holding on to that. And this bike will stand out, which is nice. Hopefully in a good way. OK I'm done now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    I'm curious if they didn't sell many of these because I'm seeing four colors available on their website. I think the purple looks great but I covered up the black decals with something brighter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    The new colors were just announced last weekend I think, so that's why you see both the 19 and 20 colors on the website.

mtbr member
    The new colors were just announced last weekend I think, so that's why you see both the 19 and 20 colors on the website.
    Not all bikes are showing both colors since the release on 7/2. The Blur is only showing the two new colors. Iíd guess that there still may be some models/sizes in the old colors still. I know I checked on a C S build in L before the new colors were released and they didnít have any?

mtbr member
    The purple rocks. You guys are crazy. I get a random compliment all the time, and most of them are chicks.... so..... I don't care if they think I'm riding the new Juliana.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Not all bikes are showing both colors since the release on 7/2. The Blur is only showing the two new colors. Iíd guess that there still may be some models/sizes in the old colors still. I know I checked on a C S build in L before the new colors were released and they didnít have any?
    That's correct. Some 2019 colors are available in certain builds and in certain sizes only. No small aluminum S builds in any 2019 colors...hence my Robins Egg decision. I'm sure "chicks" will like it however that doesn't help me very much, now does it?!

Hi There!
    My Matte Carbon and Silver>anything else. The more people that don't like it the better.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Picked mine up yesterday and it does have the DPX2!

Coffee Drinker
    Cool!!! You're gonna love it!

mtbr member
    Picked mine up yesterday and it does have the DPX2!
    That is awesome! If I knew for a fact I could get one like that I would jump at it and save the money over the carbon.

mtbr member

New Bike Day

Picked up my 5010 today, C S build, and have a skills clinic tomorrow. Looking forward to many fun times!5010 build ...choices, choices...-91a4d4a9-b7be-430b-a2c6-21a63c04f58b.jpg
    So many trails, so little time.

Ibis Ripley V4, Pike Ultimate 140, I9 Trail S Hydra

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Can you take alot more picures

i am waitng for mine

Do you know if the dropper post is a B1 ore mabye a C1`?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loop^dk View Post
    Can you take alot more picures

i am waitng for mine

Do you know if the dropper post is a B1 ore mabye a C1`?
    Did you get a 19 or 20, what model, color? Do you have an ETA yet on it? My bike has the B1 Reverb on it and based on the SC specs showing 170 length on the L and XL I would assume they are also B1, since the C1 is now 175. RS is pretty good about warranty/replacements so if you have issues you may be able to switch.

This is the only other one I currently have, too busy riding!
    5010 build ...choices, choices...-5010-jh-th.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I am getting a CS 2019 XL same colour as you.

shot be here later to day

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Did you get a 19 or 20, what model, color? Do you have an ETA yet on it? My bike has the B1 Reverb on it and based on the SC specs showing 170 length on the L and XL I would assume they are also B1, since the C1 is now 175. RS is pretty good about warranty/replacements so if you have issues you may be able to switch.

This is the only other one I currently have, too busy riding!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5010 JH TH.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	457.7 KB 
ID:	1266985

what do you think on the 370 hubs?

mtbr member
    Funny you ask that because I just posted this earlier in the wheel/tire forum.

My Blur TR came with 36 POE. I just bought a new set of DT XM481's that also come with 350's that had 18, which I switched out to 54 due to the price being the same as the 36. These don't seem as different as I expected/hoped from the 370's they replaced. They don't even seem as quick to engage as the ones on the Blur at 36. Maybe changing wheel sizes has something to do with it as well? Either way if I had it to do over I would have been happy paying $350 for the wheels/hubs and saved the $100 for the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Funny you ask that because I just posted this earlier in the wheel/tire forum.

My Blur TR came with 36 POE. I just bought a new set of DT XM481's that also come with 350's that had 18, which I switched out to 54 due to the price being the same as the 36. These don't seem as different as I expected/hoped from the 370's they replaced. They don't even seem as quick to engage as the ones on the Blur at 36. Maybe changing wheel sizes has something to do with it as well? Either way if I had it to do over I would have been happy paying $350 for the wheels/hubs and saved the $100 for the upgrade.
    Interesting experience. The demo 5010 I road had 36 POE (SC Reserve wheels, 350 hubs with 36T). The 5010 I am picking up next week has the alloy wheel with 350 hubs but only 18T POEs. I'm curious what the difference will be. I found the Reserve wheels with the 350/36T really an improvement over other bikes I demo'd, with lower POEs. I'm not sure how much that improvement is the higher POE or the carbon wheels. I was planning to upgrade to 36T but we'll see.

mtbr member
    It depends on what you're used to, and if you need to ratchet a bunch on your trails. I don't think it's a deal breaker. I do think a $5K bike should have better though.

I used low engagement OEM hubs for decades due to money constraints. I finally splurged, and had wheels built with Hope Pro4 hubs on my last bike. I used those wheels for about 4 years, and it was really nice.

I've had about 10 rides on my S+, with the 370 hubs. I hated the low engagement and it really stood out at first, but now, I barely notice it to be honest. Now that I'm used to it. If you need to ratchet a bunch on your trails, you'll notice for sure, but otherwise... meh, definitely not great, but whatever... just keep the cranks turning.

I'm going to keep riding them for awhile, and try some 2.8 tires eventually. Then decide on a nice wheel set, and what inner width rim I want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My evil runs Hope pro4 hubs and my old bike ran DT 240 with54t ratchets....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehayes View Post
    Interesting experience.
    I agree, and as stated it wasn't what I expected. It could be that I didn't notice the play/slack/slop on the set on my Blur and then the 370's really showed it and I still experience a little on the new wheels? It could also just be a difference between wheel sizes? I only rode the 370's once and it was very apparent, next ride was on the 350's and I still notice some.

For reference my demo was actually on the C R+ build and I didn't notice play on the, SRAM I think, hubs. It was also my first experience on a 27.5 and + bike so maybe it was there but so much was different I didn't notice it?

mtbr member
    My evil runs Hope pro4 hubs and my old bike ran DT 240 with54t ratchets....
    Yeah.... you'll notice right away. It was almost comical how bad the engagement felt, but like I said, it doesn't bother me as bad as it did at first.... having too much fun to worry about it, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I ordret ea set of hope w35 wheels to repllace them

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

My new baby

I picked up my 2019 X01+ yesterday.

I'm waiting to recovery from a minor medical procedure to take her on a maiden ride, should be in a week or two.

The LBS did a basic fit when I picked it up. I ended up cutting 10mm off each end of the bars. All the current bikes I demoed had bars that were way to wide for me (I'm old school, learned to MTB in the 90's and 2000s). I'm sure I'll be tweaking a few more things on the first few rides. Also wouldn't be surprised if I lose another 10mm on each bar side, but want to ride some first.

Really excited to get out and ride.

5010 build ...choices, choices...-sc_5010_x01.jpg

mtbr member
    I ended up cutting 10mm off each end of the bars. All the current bikes I demoed had bars that were way to wide for me (I'm old school, learned to MTB in the 90's and 2000s). I'm sure I'll be tweaking a few more things on the first few rides. Also wouldn't be surprised if I lose another 10mm on each bar side, but want to ride some first.
    What length were yours originally? I know they show they are stock at 760 but I recall a review saying the carbon SC bars were 800? Mine currently seem larger than the ones on the Blur, and the bike before that I had cut down to 740 to get around some spots on our trails.

Hope you heal up quick and enjoy the new ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    What length were yours originally? I know they show they are stock at 760 but I recall a review saying the carbon SC bars were 800? Mine currently seem larger than the ones on the Blur, and the bike before that I had cut down to 740 to get around some spots on our trails.
    I definitely received the 800s. Looking on SC's website, they make the 35mm bars in 760 and 800. After cutting 1cm off each end, I'm right at 800mm with the grips on. When I take the bike in for the post break-in tune up, I'll ask for another 1cm to be cut, putting me at the spec'd 760mm. I may do more, but would want to ride at that width for a bit. I do ride with trees also

mtbr member
    I definitely received the 800s.
    Cool, thanks! I haven't had any issues with mine at 760 so far but do find myself slowing down a bit in tight spots, just in case.

mtbr member
    This isnt a popular opinion... but the D build is the way to go!

I dont want to run fox or rockshox. Its perfectly fine stuff, but I want to go another way these days. Im replacing suspension on a $2500 D build just as I am on a $6900 x01 build. Thats a huge cost right there. While there is no denying the value of buying a complete high end bike (cheaper than buying separate), its really only a good deal if its what you actually want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    This isnt a popular opinion... but the D build is the way to go!

I dont want to run fox or rockshox. Its perfectly fine stuff, but I want to go another way these days. Im replacing suspension on a $2500 D build just as I am on a $6900 x01 build. Thats a huge cost right there. While there is no denying the value of buying a complete high end bike (cheaper than buying separate), its really only a good deal if its what you actually want.
    For you maybe it is but it wasn't for me, and it seems many others. You aren't really making a good comparison between models either. You are comparing the base model 5010 with either NX or SX on an aluminum build and no dropper to the CC model carbon with X01, at $2699 and $6799 respectively. If you are simply looking for a 5010 frame to put your own parts and pieces on then the D is the cheapest way in but to say its the way to go isn't accurate for many of us.

"I" believe the C S provides a lot of value and would have gone with it as well on my Blur if it would have been an option at the time, it is now. It was cheaper on it to get the CC X01 than to get a C S and make the changes to make it a TR.

Enjoy the ride and let us know the exact build up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So I bought the D build on my old bike and I think it's a nice option of you are new to mountain biking and don't know what to upgrade. After 5 years, the only stock item on that bike was the cranks. I am keeping a spreadsheet tracking all of my replacement parts. So far I've spent over $600 on upgrades (excluding wheels & handlebars since I had a set of carbon wheels and a carbon bar) to the S build. Most of it was on a Fox dropper post but I have new cranks, grips, saddle and stem. The S build has good suspension, GX Eagle and the brakes are fine IMO. After a year on the bike, I still feel the S build is the best value.

mtbr member
    For you maybe it is but it wasn't for me, and it seems many others. You aren't really making a good comparison between models either. You are comparing the base model 5010 with either NX or SX on an aluminum build and no dropper to the CC model carbon with X01, at $2699 and $6799 respectively. If you are simply looking for a 5010 frame to put your own parts and pieces on then the D is the cheapest way in but to say its the way to go isn't accurate for many of us.

"I" believe the C S provides a lot of value and would have gone with it as well on my Blur if it would have been an option at the time, it is now. It was cheaper on it to get the CC X01 than to get a C S and make the changes to make it a TR.

Enjoy the ride and let us know the exact build up!
    Oh I know, plenty of people are plenty happy with their factory builds!

I used those builds on purpose, it shows that despite a $4100 price difference, both models still dont come with real tuned suspension. Thats a lot of money to still fall short of whats out there these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    So I bought the D build on my old bike and I think it's a nice option of you are new to mountain biking and don't know what to upgrade.
    This is the position I'm in. I just ordered a 2020 Juliana Furtado in the aluminum D+ build. The only reason to go with the 2020 over the 2019 was the change to SX Eagle drivetrain, and I really wanted that extra 50T cog.

I demo'd a carbon S+ build (they don't make the aluminum S for Juliana) and sure, it was fabulous. The 2.6" tires gave me a bunch of confidence, and the frame fits me beautifully. I was looking at the R+ primarily because of the upgrade to the Fox fork. However, in talking to my LBS the only real difference I am going to notice at this stage in my mountain biking is the dropper. So I've committed to investing a little money to get a dropper installed at time of purchase.

I ride carbon on my road and tri bikes, so I absolutely do appreciate the nuance there - but I still think the best $1800 I spent was on my CAADX. I ride it on the roads in everything but the height of summer here in Maine, on the rail trails, on gravel and dirt, whenever I think I might want to stop and have ice cream somewhere along the way.... Pretty much anywhere I can meander on a bicycle!

It may not be the top of the line spec, but I'm just super excited to get my new bike and ride more trails. It's going to be infinitely better than any other mtb I've had before. I'll figure out what, if anything (for my purposes), needs upgrading as I go.

mtbr member

I just finished this build and got my first ride in yesterday. I ordered and received the frame as soon as they were available. Iíd like to say that the ďgreyĒ color looks way better in person, and it looks more like a dark olive grey/green. Itís a really cool color and ended up looking really good with my components.

Speaking of components, all the parts on this bike came off a 2018 Cotic Soul custom build I did last year, except I had to get a new headset and seatpost collar.

Iím perfectly happy that I went with the alloy frame because I donít much like the idea of the carbon as far and crashing, scratches and rock strikes go, and donít mind the extra chassis weight. I havenít weighed the bike yet but I did some math based on how much my Cotic Soul weighed with these same components. Based on the differences in frame weight Iíd say this bike weighs between 29-30 pounds. Feels like a tank but super smooth! Only thing I really want is a better rear shock, and Iíd like a Pike Ultimate but hard to justify when I already have a 2017 Pike with a Debonair spring installed. I really feel like for the price SC should have stocked the alloy frame set with the DPX2 shock because anyone whoís gonna buy a frame only is probably going to do a higher end build.

Did the build myself and it was painstaking but rewarding!

First ride yesterday went well and I look forward to thrashing this thing around more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post

I just finished this build and got my first ride in yesterday. I ordered and received the frame as soon as they were available. Iíd like to say that the ďgreyĒ color looks way better in person, and it looks more like a dark olive grey/green. Itís a really cool color and ended up looking really good with my components.

Speaking of components, all the parts on this bike came off a 2018 Cotic Soul custom build I did last year, except I had to get a new headset and seatpost collar.

Iím perfectly happy that I went with the alloy frame because I donít much like the idea of the carbon as far and crashing, scratches and rock strikes go, and donít mind the extra chassis weight. I havenít weighed the bike yet but I did some math based on how much my Cotic Soul weighed with these same components. Based on the differences in frame weight Iíd say this bike weighs between 29-30 pounds. Feels like a tank but super smooth! Only thing I really want is a better rear shock, and Iíd like a Pike Ultimate but hard to justify when I already have a 2017 Pike with a Debonair spring installed. I really feel like for the price SC should have stocked the alloy frame set with the DPX2 shock because anyone whoís gonna buy a frame only is probably going to do a higher end build.

Did the build myself and it was painstaking but rewarding!

First ride yesterday went well and I look forward to thrashing this thing around more!

So in addition to the gray that looks better in person, I do want to say that now that I have my Robin's Egg, it also looks better in person. It's an interesting color and both dudes and chicks seem to like it. The burnt orange type on the frame actually looks more like a coral color, while the decals on the fork, look more like a burnt orange. And while I would prefer they are the same, I'm trying not to split hairs and the coral looks very pretty. So different than how it looks online and better....much like the gray, I'm guessing. Had to replace the dropper with another one as it didn't work right out of the gate, but under warranty so picking up today! Also took 10mm off each side off the bars to start and we'll go from there.

I have to say, circling back to what I said earlier, that really taking your time with your decision is the way to go, no matter what build it is. I spent a couple of months researching and reading this forum and once I relaxed about what I wanted (aluminum S), I made my deposit. She's the one!
    2020 Santa Cruz 5010 S

mtbr member
    So in addition to the gray that looks better in person, I do want to say that now that I have my Robin's Egg, it also looks better in person. It's an interesting color and both dudes and chicks seem to like it. The burnt orange type on the frame actually looks more like a coral color, while the decals on the fork, look more like a burnt orange. And while I would prefer they are the same, I'm trying not to split hairs and the coral looks very pretty. So different than how it looks online and better....much like the gray, I'm guessing. Had to replace the dropper with another one as it didn't work right out of the gate, but under warranty so picking up today! Also took 10mm off each side off the bars to start and we'll go from there.

I have to say, circling back to what I said earlier, that really taking your time with your decision is the way to go, no matter what build it is. I spent a couple of months researching and reading this forum and once I relaxed about what I wanted (aluminum S), I made my deposit. She's the one!
    Heck yeah, Iím very happy with my choice!

Also I saw the Robinís egg in person at the store and it did look good but I figured the grey would work better with my purple components.

mtbr member
    I spent a couple of months researching and reading this forum and once I relaxed about what I wanted (aluminum S), I made my deposit. She's the one!
    Did it come with the DPS or DPX2 shock?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Did it come with the DPS or DPX2 shock?
    It says Fox Float DPS on it...
    2020 Santa Cruz 5010 S

mtbr member
    It says Fox Float DPS on it...
    That is what is spec'd on it according to the SC website but I had heard of some people getting the DPX2 on them, at least on some of the 19's. There were also people who got the DPS so not sure how that all worked out? Sweet bike either way!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That is what is spec'd on it according to the SC website but I had heard of some people getting the DPX2 on them, at least on some of the 19's. There were also people who got the DPS so not sure how that all worked out? Sweet bike either way!
    The website only shows rockshox options for all builds

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bronson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    The website only shows rockshox options for all builds

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bronson
    Thats the Bronson not the 5010.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I definitely received the 800s. Looking on SC's website, they make the 35mm bars in 760 and 800. After cutting 1cm off each end, I'm right at 800mm with the grips on. When I take the bike in for the post break-in tune up, I'll ask for another 1cm to be cut, putting me at the spec'd 760mm. I may do more, but would want to ride at that width for a bit. I do ride with trees also
    Picture confirming the carbon bars are in fact 800mm. Looks like when I had the shop trim them to 780 on delivery, they only did them to 790. I just now trimmed them to 780

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5010 build ...choices, choices...-bars.jpg  

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Feedthewolf got me all worked up with those purple parts on the gray. The gray looks awesome!
    I'm waiting on a gray CC frame. I hate baby blue and I'm tired of all black bikes. My road bike is all black and my Canfield is black. So gray is perfect for me, and my red hubs will stand out nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Feedthewolf got me all worked up with those purple parts on the gray. The gray looks awesome!
    I'm waiting on a gray CC frame. I hate baby blue and I'm tired of all black bikes. My road bike is all black and my Canfield is black. So gray is perfect for me, and my red hubs will stand out nicely.
    Woot! Iím loviní it like McDonaldís, lol.

mtbr member
    An MRP Ribbon fork on it with 145mm of travel is sweet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am 5í9Ē and considering a 5010. What size do you all think? Medium? I say that because I had a M Bronson V3 in medium and it fit great. Sold it just to much bike for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ski1970 View Post
    I am 5í9Ē and considering a 5010. What size do you all think? Medium? I say that because I had a M Bronson V3 in medium and it fit great. Sold it just to much bike for me.
    As I said in another thread, at 5'9" you really could go either way. You'll probably need a different stem on either size for optimal fit. It depends on what you want out of it, and what your trails dictate. M would be easier to throw around, play around. The L would be more stable and roomy feeling. Testing both sizes would be ideal.

I'm 5'11" on a L with a 50mm stem. Fit's pretty perfect. If I was 5'9, I'd probably go medium, because I like a playful, quick bike, and don't need extra stability for steep and chunky too much. 2Ę

NedwannaB
    Good channel you have.👍
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NINER Rip9 RDO(future...)
    Salsa Timberjack

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Picked up the frame last week. New pike + hope front hub just arrived. Ordered rims from nextie today. Trying to wait until week between Xmas and new years to tear down my current bike and build this up.
    5010 build ...choices, choices...-img_20191014_142416.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    As I said in another thread, at 5'9" you really could go either way. You'll probably need a different stem on either size for optimal fit. It depends on what you want out of it, and what your trails dictate. M would be easier to throw around, play around. The L would be more stable and roomy feeling. Testing both sizes would be ideal.

I'm 5'11" on a L with a 50mm stem. Fit's pretty perfect. If I was 5'9, I'd probably go medium, because I like a playful, quick bike, and don't need extra stability for steep and chunky too much. 2Ę
    I'm 5'7. Should I get the small size?

mtbr member
    I'm at 5'6 and the small is perfect for me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I'm 5'7" 29" inseam and I ride a medium 5010 V2 with a 50mm stem. The V3 has a longer TT so a small would most likely be fine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Iím 5í7Ē and Iím riding a medium v3 5010 and the fit is great. Currently using a 35mm stem because thatís what I already had but I wouldnít be opposed to trying a 50mm stem.