mtbr member
    Jun 2015

5 Bike Battle - Help spend my money!

Ha! Billions of threads like I these I appreciate anyone who is bored enough to respond. Been saving my pennies for the past couple years (a slow process with 2 new kids at home!) and am FINALLY able to upgrade from my 2012 SC Heckler (which I have loved dearly). I live in Rifle, Co, an hour from Fruita. We have alot of rolling terrain here, never too far up or down. A typical ride from my house would be about 15miles with about 900-1200ft in elevation gained. Mostly buff singletrack through juniper desert with a few short technical bits mixed in. I'm specifically looking at trail bikes. I am 5'8", 150lbs. Am able to get out a couple times a week and consider myself an above average rider but still plenty to work on. My biggest complaints with my Heckler is that it's heavy, does not climb well, and feels sluggish when I crank on the pedals to go fast. Here are my final 5 contenders I've been scrutinizing. I will provide highlights and then a link to check them out. Just looking for personal opinions, as I value and enjoy thoughts from other riders.

1. Yeti SB5: carbon frame, switch infinity sus, 28lbs, slx groupset $4699
    Yeti SB5 Carbon Xt-Slx Bike 2017 > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

2. Transition Scout, Build 3: Alum frame, RS Pike, GX groupset, $3899
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Scout.cfm

3. Guerilla Gravity Megatrail SS, Build 1: Alum frame, made in CO, MRP Ribbon fork, GX groupset, $4435
    Guerrilla Gravity | Custom Builder for MEGATRAIL Trail Bike

4. YT Cycles Jeffsy 27, CF One: Carbon frame, RS Deluxe RCT, Sram X1 shifter and RD, 28.4lbs, $3999
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

5. Whyte T130 Carbon RS: Carbon Frame, RS Pike RC, Sram Eagle groupset, 29.7lbs, $4499
    https://www.whyteusa.bike/collection...-130-carbon-rs

Note: The Jeffsy appears to be the best bang for my buck for a well spec'd bike at a great price BUT it wouldn't ship until September

The Whyte is only 130mm of front and rear travel. Might that be limiting?

Thanks for looking, I appreciate anyone's thoughts!

mtbr member
    Take the Jeffsy.
    But if you just want to spend some money take the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've heard really good things about the Whyte bikes. The Pike RC loses virtually nothing to the RCT3 version, unless you really like using the 3 position compression adjusters and just can't live without them.

130mm of travel is not a ton, but you could easily put a 140mm air shaft on the Pike and add a little extra squish up front. If you're primarily riding buff singletrack, you will appreciate the slack/low/short travel layout. I would put the Transition Scout in the same category as the Whyte in that regard, though it does not carry as much value in my opinion.

The Jeffsy is an amazing deal for the spec too...it's between those 2 in my mind. One of my buddies just put a Jeffsy on order though, and I can't imagine the pain of ordering a $4400 bike and then waiting for almost 6 months to get it. That alone is a major turnoff for me on the whole YT range.

The good thing about your list is that all of those bikes are awesome. The GG MegaTrail sounds like it may be too much bike with how slack, long and low it is, and it's a burly frame - same frame as the bigger MegaTrail, just a different (shorter stroke) shock for the SS. My pops rides a Yeti SB5 back in California, and he absolutely LOVES it. I rode it and it has a distinctively plush, forgiving feel, while still pedaling well. I found the rear suspension to be a bit lacking in the 'pop' department, and it seemed to mute the trail very effectively. Makes for a comfortable ride, but not as engaging as bikes I generally prefer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks zhendo and steel calf. It would probably be a no brainer on the Jeffsy for me if it wasn't for the 5 months of waiting. I've already been saving for 2 years to make this work and looking forward to this particular summer of riding, would be a letdown to push that timeframe back. But, that is pretty sexy bike with an incredible price compared with the others. I could go for the aluminum version and it's still under 30lbs which would get the bike in my hands by the end of may but shoot, if I'm patient, I can just have the carbon version with just 3 more months of waiting. Plus, I really like the all black color over the red but that's getting picky...

I just recently got turned on to the Whyte, it seems a bit heavy for a carbon frame but the Eagle groupset is intriguing and everything I read online is very positive. Would probably be another no brainer if it was 150mm of travel although all the reviews say it rides like a bike with more suspension.

The other 3 bikes are $$$ as well.... I dunno but it's been a fun process narrowing it down and trying to decide!

mtbr member
    Do some testrides. It's like shopping for clothes. You can spent hours in front of a screen narrowing down your choices but once you put them on in a store you instantly know how well they fit.

Women are actually better at gut decisions than men who always try to think it through from a theoretical standpoint (specs, components) but don't see the bike as a whole.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Fruita Fat Tire Festival is April 27-30. It might be worth it to buy a pass that gives demo access and try to make it over to Fruita.

Fruita Fat Tire Festival – Epic Singletrack – April 27 – 30, 2017

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yep already got my pass. Head there every year. Rode GG Megatrail there last year so I have a feel on that rides. Looks like I should be able to try out the scout this year if they're not all being used. Yeti has been there in the past but they're not on the vendor list on the website. Yt and whyte I don't think I'll ever get a chance to try, if I'm feelin it, I just gotta go for it I guess!

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    Do some testrides. It's like shopping for clothes. You can spent hours in front of a screen narrowing down your choices but once you put them on in a store you instantly know how well they fit.

Women are actually better at gut decisions than men who always try to think it through from a theoretical standpoint (specs, components) but don't see the bike as a whole.
    What a way to stereotype

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by fids11 View Post
    Ha! Billions of threads like I these I appreciate anyone who is bored enough to respond. Been saving my pennies for the past couple years (a slow process with 2 new kids at home!) and am FINALLY able to upgrade from my 2012 SC Heckler (which I have loved dearly). I live in Rifle, Co, an hour from Fruita. We have alot of rolling terrain here, never too far up or down. A typical ride from my house would be about 15miles with about 900-1200ft in elevation gained. Mostly buff singletrack through juniper desert with a few short technical bits mixed in. I'm specifically looking at trail bikes. I am 5'8", 150lbs. Am able to get out a couple times a week and consider myself an above average rider but still plenty to work on. My biggest complaints with my Heckler is that it's heavy, does not climb well, and feels sluggish when I crank on the pedals to go fast. Here are my final 5 contenders I've been scrutinizing. I will provide highlights and then a link to check them out. Just looking for personal opinions, as I value and enjoy thoughts from other riders.

1. Yeti SB5: carbon frame, switch infinity sus, 28lbs, slx groupset $4699
    Yeti SB5 Carbon Xt-Slx Bike 2017 > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

2. Transition Scout, Build 3: Alum frame, RS Pike, GX groupset, $3899
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Scout.cfm

3. Guerilla Gravity Megatrail SS, Build 1: Alum frame, made in CO, MRP Ribbon fork, GX groupset, $4435
    Guerrilla Gravity | Custom Builder for MEGATRAIL Trail Bike

4. YT Cycles Jeffsy 27, CF One: Carbon frame, RS Deluxe RCT, Sram X1 shifter and RD, 28.4lbs, $3999
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

5. Whyte T130 Carbon RS: Carbon Frame, RS Pike RC, Sram Eagle groupset, 29.7lbs, $4499
    https://www.whyteusa.bike/collection...-130-carbon-rs

Note: The Jeffsy appears to be the best bang for my buck for a well spec'd bike at a great price BUT it wouldn't ship until September

The Whyte is only 130mm of front and rear travel. Might that be limiting?

Thanks for looking, I appreciate anyone's thoughts!
    Test ride. Demo on your dirt, or any dirt. Asking here what get you the answers you need.

The only bikes I've bought that I really liked I demoed on dirt, and I've demoed ones I don't like. The ones I've bought without demoing, 95% of the time I end up getting rid of the bike fast.

I love my Megatrail SS, but it's not a billy goat uphill and I use mine primarily for park stuff and don't care about how fast it climbs. So if you want a great climber, I would aim for the Yeti. I know nothing about the other two. If you want a Guerrilla Gravity bike, look at their Trail Pistol.

Then again, none of this determines how it fits you, or how it feels on the trail. Asking us here is just mental masturbation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    What a way to stereotype
    I've done worse before!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Buy the Whyte T-130. 30 day money back guarantee. Whytes are great bikes and great value.
    I ride the G-160. Descends like a downhill bike. Extremely stable at Mach speed and over the gnarliest of gnarly. Not the fastest bike to pedal around all day but it does pedal very well especially going uphill. Much more centered and stable than a lot of other bikes I have demoed. I can only imagine the T-130 handles just as well as it's big brother but in a much snappier and faster manner.
    Buy it and ride it around while testing out some other bikes and see how you like it. Like something else and send it back for the cost of shipping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Your riding sounds a lot like mine. Just rolling hills, never large elevation changes. I definitely wouldn't be looking in the 150mm range.

I'd stick to the 100-130 for rear travel. I know this is in the 27.5 thread, but have you tried a 29er? When I was originally looking for a new bike my LBS got me to try a Jamis 650b before it was a trend.
    Loved the way it kept moment more than my Felt at the time. When I brought it back, they convinced me to try a 29er. I was amazed at how much more speed it carried on our style trails. I noticed how much further up the other side I was making it before needing to pedal. On some of the smaller transitions, the momentum would get me up the otherside.

If you haven't ridden one in a long time, they've come a long way and are playful. I tried a Mojo 3 after years on a 29er, but I'm back on a 29er.

See if you can get on a Ripley LS at the demo day.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    You asked, so my answer would be Yeti (if you have the money) followed by the Jeffsy (if you can stand the wait.)

In all seriousness though, given your description of riding and trails, my vote is that a 29ner or two should be on this list. Hightower, Jeffsy 29, Stumpy...all extremely versatile weapons. This is coming from a guy who went from 29, to a Devinci Troy, back to 29. Now I own a stumpy and a Capra...two different weapons depending on the day. No doubt that the new 29ner crowd is an absolutely fun group of bikes. I have bro's switching to the darkside monthly. They just cant resist once they ride one.
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Dang I never considered the Whyte 30 day money back guarantee. That would probably be the only way I could 'try' the bike before buying it. Will definitely consider that. Good points about the 29ers as well. When I first got into mountain biking after years of not even riding a bike, I got 29er - GT Karakoram to get started. Bike always felt HUGE to me. When I sold it and got the Heckler, the Heckler felt like a playful little dirt bike. So much more fun than the Karakoram tank. Been kind of turned off big wheels ever since. The only 29er I've ridden since then was a demo of Kona Hei Hei which surprisingly (to me) really loved. Thing climbed like a beast, was plenty fun going down. Will try to get on 29er this weekend to see how they feel now.

Also, the 6% money back at Jenson puts the Yeti SB5 at $4417, not even the most expensive bike on this list!

The Jeffsy is really calling to me as well but oh that wait! Could get a Jeffsy 2 carbon by the end of May/beginning of June but it's not in the color I want - haha. Oh and the components are a bit lesser than the Jeffsy 1.

Lots to think about, it's been really enjoyable looking though. Thanks everyone, appreciate the mental masturbation

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dang I never considered the Whyte 30 day money back guarantee. That would probably be the only way I could 'try' the bike before buying it. Will definitely consider that. Good points about the 29ers as well. When I first got into mountain biking after years of not even riding a bike, I got 29er - GT Karakoram to get started. Bike always felt HUGE to me. When I sold it and got the Heckler, the Heckler felt like a playful little dirt bike. So much more fun than the Karakoram tank. Been kind of turned off big wheels ever since. The only 29er I've ridden since then was a demo of Kona Hei Hei which surprisingly (to me) really loved. Thing climbed like a beast, was plenty fun going down. Will try to get on 29er this weekend to see how they feel now.

Also, the 6% money back at Jenson puts the Yeti SB5 at $4417, not even the most expensive bike on this list!

The Jeffsy is really calling to me as well but oh that wait! Could get a Jeffsy 2 carbon by the end of May/beginning of June but it's not in the color I want - haha. Oh and the components are a bit lesser than the Jeffsy 1.

Lots to think about, it's been really enjoyable looking though. Thanks everyone, appreciate the mental masturbation
    29er have changed a lot! You owe it to yourself to ride a newer one before deciding. I think the fact the the SC Syndicate is going 29er for downhill racing should say something.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You've got a great list of options right there. Sounds like you are spot on for getting to swing a leg over at the fat tire fest. Since you live in rifle - don't underestimate the fact that you may really start to groove on your yet to be picked new ride and venture into more burly territory around GJ, tripping to Moab and finding what you can find all directions in CO. I think most of these will handle most if not all the riding you are contemplating plus any expanding options you may seek out.
    Now - I'm a wee bit biased cuz i bought one - but if you can get on the Spot's - Mayhem or Rollik you may be a whole lot surprised. If Spot are there - chat with the team and grab a ride if available. I know the Spot pricing is like passing your budget - but maybe you can work a deal with them directly.
    I think the new GG Megatrail SS is worth a ride - its been completely redesigned since your previous experience and the GG guys are also great guys.

mtbr member
    Dang I never considered the Whyte 30 day money back guarantee. That would probably be the only way I could 'try' the bike before buying it. Will definitely consider that.
    this guarantee is meant for people who ordered the bike after careful research with best intentions in mind yet it didn't work out for them as expected

It's not meant for test riding or evaluation purposes.

If you wanna test ride ask whyte to help you get in contact with another rider

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Spot Rollik has def been on my radar and they will be in Fruita so will see if I can at least ride one around the parking lot. They are just soooo expensive! The boutique of the boutiques! They really only have an X01 build so there isn't any secondary options. But, I'll talk to the guys and see what they say.

Obviously I wouldn't do something douchy like buy a Whyte just to demo it. If I bought one, I would have all intentions of keeping it. That's alot of money to put down and trust that you'd get it back! It's nice peace of mind though to know that if it just didn't fit me right after multiple rides, I could work with Whyte on replacing or refunding. Didn't mean to make it sound like I would buy it just so I could test ride it for a month.

I'm a little surprised there's no Scout advocates on this thread. That bike has been getting alot of positive pub lately too. I wonder if that low standover height would give it that mini play bike feel as well?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

They don't pay on Ibis and Yeti products.

And based on my time on a Patrol, I think a Scout would be a super fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    They don't pay on Ibis and Yeti products.

And based on my time on a Patrol, I think a Scout would be a super fun bike.
    Dang, well that's good to know! Of course they don't!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks zhendo and steel calf. It would probably be a no brainer on the Jeffsy for me if it wasn't for the 5 months of waiting. I've already been saving for 2 years to make this work and looking forward to this particular summer of riding, would be a letdown to push that timeframe back. But, that is pretty sexy bike with an incredible price compared with the others. I could go for the aluminum version and it's still under 30lbs which would get the bike in my hands by the end of may but shoot, if I'm patient, I can just have the carbon version with just 3 more months of waiting. Plus, I really like the all black color over the red but that's getting picky...

I just recently got turned on to the Whyte, it seems a bit heavy for a carbon frame but the Eagle groupset is intriguing and everything I read online is very positive. Would probably be another no brainer if it was 150mm of travel although all the reviews say it rides like a bike with more suspension.

The other 3 bikes are $$$ as well.... I dunno but it's been a fun process narrowing it down and trying to decide!
    I always find I regret 'settling.' Is five months so long when you get the bike you want?

One thing, are you certain of your fit? The Jeffsy is long reach and short stack, the Yeti is short reach and high stack (typical for all-mountain).

Didn't check the others. What bike and size do you have now that works for you?
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Haha, yes when I've had my mind set that I would get to ride new bike X this entire summer! Haha!

But yes, I'm definitely carefully considering waiting it out to get exactly what I what or the best bang for my buck

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ok, add the Spot Rollik to the top of this list. Wow! What a bike! Couldn't believe how efficiently it climbed. Raced to the top of the entrance climb on chutes and ladders without breathing hard. Set a new PR on PBR by 2 full minutes (although I hadn't ridden it since 2013 so I'd imagine my skills have improved by leaps and bounds by then). The Spot guys were super cool and friendly too. They offered me the demo bike which was lightly used for $3800. XO rear derailleur, x1 shifter, x1 cranks, Pike RCT... basically this build:

Spot Rollik 557 Bike 2016 > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

OR I could afford a brand new bike, the 3 star build with GX drivetrain, Fox Elite Performance fork for $4800 and $300 cash back with Active junky ($4500 total). This bike:

Spot Rollik 3 Star Bike 2017 > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

Curious, what would ya'll do??

***Also demo'd a Transition Scout and an Orbea Accuma. Both amazing bikes that I like alot but just didn't compare to the all around ability of the Spot...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If they offer a full warranty on the demo bike then I'd probably go with that. Might try to talk them down to $3500 especially if you're paying cash.

Either way it sounds like you found the bike you want so congrats.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Glad to hear your experience Fids - i was gonna post that Jenson link for you OR ask Spot for the same deal direct... doesn't hurt to ask?

ghoti makes a great point - nice build for the money and i suspect full warranty - if so - hard to pass on - I bought the 3 star and have upgraded what i consider most important bits - wheels/tires primarily but there is nothing at all wrong w Stan's Arch MK3. I had carbon bars and stem, and went w Maxxis 2.5 dhf and 2.4 dhr. As it stands - i added rotational weight in heavier wheels, slower heavier rubber, heavier cassette as well - and Im setting PR's EARLY season both up and down the local trails. Amazing how good this bike is without being tooooo enduro or tooooo xc etc... its just such a well balanced all around bike that can go bigger and better than the numbers suggest. Plus its rated for up to 160 fork and i know thats what the Spot guys are running.

Good luck - keep posted your decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the opinions. I really like the idea of a 2.5 in front and a 2.35-2.4 in back. The bike I demoed had 2.3's on both and was wishing for a bit wider. I reached out to the spot guy that gave me his email. Asked for his best price, warranty, and asked if they'd be willing to give it a tune/wash before they sent it to me or I come pick it up. I'll let the thread know what happens. I know you're all on pins and needles! Ha!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    couldn't sleep last night waiting to hear when you get your Rollik! HA

Hoping it all works out for ya man. Next we need to convince Spot to have an owners ride/rally some where!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the opinions. I really like the idea of a 2.5 in front and a 2.35-2.4 in back. The bike I demoed had 2.3's on both and was wishing for a bit wider. I reached out to the spot guy that gave me his email. Asked for his best price, warranty, and asked if they'd be willing to give it a tune/wash before they sent it to me or I come pick it up. I'll let the thread know what happens. I know you're all on pins and needles! Ha!
    Hope it all works out for you. Going to the festival was the best thing you could have done. I need to ride a Rollik before the end of the year because I'll be replacing my 5010. At this point, I'll be getting an SB5 frame and building it up. I had the original SB5 and it's the best riding bike I ever had and the only bike I regret selling. That being said, I've always been a fan of the "look" of the Rollik though I've yet to see one in person.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Money spent! Went with the demo they offered me. $3800. They're giving it a wash and full tune at Golden headquarters tomorrow. 5 year warranty included. It's basically this build but used obviously with a few minor cosmetic scratches on the cranks, handlebar, and chainstay. XO/X1 drivetrain, Pike RCT, Guide RSC, carbon frame, reverb.... Pretty pumped, feel like I got alot of bang for my buck. Thanks for the conversation everyone, it was very helpful and enjoyable. Here it is getting a bath from Spot HQ

Here's the build: Spot Rollik 557 Bike 2016 > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

5 Bike Battle - Help spend my money!-spot-rollik.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice looking bike, I bet it's a blast.

Short-Change-Hero
    That thing looks awesome. I know they make stellar single speed bikes but had not idea they were developing a FS until this year when I saw the Rollik's big brother the Mayhem. Looks like a sick bike for the price you got it at, demo or not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Size Med Turner Flux. Turner was offering a $1400 free upgrade for Knight carbon wheels but I thinks that offer has passed. But even without that deal, for a full Carbon frame Turner offers pretty good value.