Thread: 46er??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

46er??

I'm building up a bike for my sister, who is about 5'2". I've got a tiny 14" Kona Explosif frame, and am wondering what would happen if i were to put a 24" wheel on the back, leaving a 26" on the front, kinda like a mini 69er - or 46er?

has anyone tried this?
    what effects would it have apart from dropping the BB half an inch or so, increasing standover by half an inch, and slackening the angles?

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

Franken-mini!

Hi Mattski,

Yes, we've been building them for 3 years now.

http://www.carverbikes.com/index.php...id=7&Itemid=12

As long as you're using a disc wheel on the rear, It should work fine. Your BB will drop about a half inch and your head and seat angles will slacken a little bit. Go for it!!

Best,

DavisCarver
    www.carverbikes.com

clueless
    cool idea, davis

are there any distributors in germany/switzerland/austria?

if not please drop me a pn or a mail.

ciao
    flo

conjoinicorned
    i do this on my FR hardtail to drop the BB, and slack the HA. i like the way it handles, it's less extreme a difference than a 69er. it is getting harder to find really good 24" tires in XC configuration, so if you find some buy a couple.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    cheers guys, it also seems fairly difficult to source 24" rims for XC - most seem to be jump or DH specific and heavier than a decent XC hoop...

any suggestions appreciated..?

conjoinicorned
    the sun MTX are pretty light...not an XC rim but lighter than the Alex or Atomlab offerings and not quite so ridiculously wide. i run the Alex, which is a HUGE rim at nearly 40mm wide. Sun used to make the rhyno lite in 24, but i haven't seen one in a long time.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=5681
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

pvd
    mtbr member
    The Beast of the East!

nothing relevant to say
    Check out Arrow Racing. Also, Sun produces the Rhyno Lite in a 24" for BMX cruisers.

mtbr member
    Kona frames have pretty decent slope to their top tubes. My young son was riding a 14" Hahanna with dual 26" wheels with no standover problems at all. I'd say he was under 5'2" when first riding the bike too.

Also this bike was fairly slack in my opinion with an old RS Sid fork up front. Liam ripped it up on this thing.

So you may be fine with setting up the Kona with dual 26" wheels and wouldn't have to sacrifice any bottom bracket height.

Hope this helps ya.

Cheers,

Mark

Blue Dot Junkie
    Jeni T (I think she posts on mtbr?) rides a really nice mixed wheel 24'/26" frame. I believe it was made by Kind Cycles.
    I own and work at Hub Cyclery, Idyllwild CA

mtbr member
    Why not trying some juvenile, kid bikes? perhaps 24" front + 22 or even 20" would be more nimble snappier lighter, stiffer. Sort of tiny mini 69er

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    The Beast of the East!
    ?

clueless
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    ?
    ... as some might know, mountain biking has some sort of history.

the 'beast of the east' is part of this history

ciao
    flo

mtbr member
    Mattski

Sound like an excellent idea to me. I put together a 6-9r just to give it a try and fell in love with it. However I would think that as will any experiment you might want to try it both ways 6-6 and 4-6. First I would let her try the bike as a standard 26 with whatever wheels you have. Then put the 24 on and see how she likes it. You might find that she can ride the straight up 6-6 just fine or she might fall for the 4-6 combo. The thing is you won’t know until you try. I am so happy with my rigid 6-9r that I am planning to sell my full squish 26 bike.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    before building too much around the 24/26 idea Id check into how she fits on it with 26" wheels, my GF rides a specalized stumpjumper fsr with 4" of travel, with no worries.(she is 5'2") A 14" hardtail should be ok without the 24" wheel.

mtbr member
    One more thought on the 4-6r idea while I love my 6-9r I have also been riding for well awhile. I have ridden everything from $150 piles of aluminum crap to a $4000 Blur currently dismantled and up for sale. Anyway my point would be that I don’t know if Franken-Mini would be good for a starter bike. Now if she has been riding awhile and thinks/knows she wants to try it that is a whole different thing.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Your thinking too much.

The important thing is to have her riding! To her all is new. Do you remember the first pair of shoes you had on when you began to walk?... No, you were just happy to have gained altitude and loco motion in an upright position. Build the bike put her on it and go ride...

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

I agree...

Too much thinking sometimes happens on/in the forums.

Build the bike, 46er, 26er, doesn't matter. Keep the rides short and fun. Make them social and the serious riding will come later.

I ride a xs carver and I'm no giant (5'3", 28in inseam.). Rides great, fits well and it's hard to beat Davis' customer service.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Ya... you could always spring for the Carver ride and you won't find a nicer guy! I do think it's great you are showing her the world of bikes!

LC

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

24" tires and rims

Bontrager made a reallly light 24" version of their Revolt tire a couple of years ago. We bought all they had, so if anyone needs a pair, let me know. We've also been using a really light rim by Sun, called the AT18. Non eyeletted, 36 hole only, but works great. Kinda tough t to find, but we have a stockpile of them. They are 16.00 each.

Best,

Davis Carver

www.carverbikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i do this on my FR hardtail to drop the BB, and slack the HA. i like the way it handles, it's less extreme a difference than a 69er. it is getting harder to find really good 24" tires in XC configuration, so if you find some buy a couple.

clueless
    ... schwalbetires has a very light 24" bmx folding tire, 420gr, called mow jow.

ciao
    flo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanC
    Jeni T (I think she posts on mtbr?) rides a really nice mixed wheel 24'/26" frame. I believe it was made by Kind Cycles.
    Yup she does.
    Attached Images Attached Images

pvd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    The Beast of the East!?
    Those who forget their past are condemed to repeat it. Those who never learned their past get to repeat it as well.

1991 Cannondale SM800 3.0 "Beast of the East". 26" front wheel, 24" rear. They were made in other years, but this is the one officially designated the beast of the east.

http://vintagecannondale.com/year/1991/1991.pdf

p.17

mtbr member
    My daughter is 4'8" and riding a Kona Kula Lisa HT with a RS Sid up front and 26" wheels.

Prior to this bike she had a 24" wheeled Spec. Hotrock that I swapped in an old 26" fork and front wheel. It worked fine for her. Check BMX sources for lightweight 24" rims and tires.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    My son's ht is a 13" Fisher, he's under 5 foot so your Kona should fit just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Kenda small block 8's 24X1.95 and only 470 grams ( as per web site) great tire the short tracker is one of my favorate tires and comes in a 24X1.75 and is 470 as well.
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/John...ml#smallblock8

Members who have read this thread: 0