Thread: 4" Bastardo?

mtbr member

4" Bastardo?

This came up a little bit in the 4" travel 650b FS thread but I hoped to get some more input on this specific bike. Anyone out there own or spent time on a Bastardo with 4" rockers? Has anyone been able to compare the 4" and the 5.5" versions?

I have a standard 5.5" and it's a nice riding bike but I think lowering the BB and reducing travel a little might make it more suitable for my riding style and terrain. I've been in touch with Ventana and it's a pretty straightforward conversion--the rockers, rear shock and front fork would need to be switched out. That would be a chunk o' money, but probably cheaper than buying a new ride!

mtbr member
    I am on the fence about ordering a frame with 4". Still doing some digging to see if I can find a better 4" 650b specific frame. None so far. Just curious, what front shock would think about using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonTy1 View Post
    I am on the fence about ordering a frame with 4". Still doing some digging to see if I can find a better 4" 650b specific frame. None so far. Just curious, what front shock would think about using?
    Havent thought much about a fork--probably a WB Loop if the Fluid I have on there can't have its travel adjusted down a bit.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    This came up a little bit in the 4" travel 650b FS thread but I hoped to get some more input on this specific bike. Anyone out there own or spent time on a Bastardo with 4" rockers? Has anyone been able to compare the 4" and the 5.5" versions?

I have a standard 5.5" and it's a nice riding bike but I think lowering the BB and reducing travel a little might make it more suitable for my riding style and terrain. I've been in touch with Ventana and it's a pretty straightforward conversion--the rockers, rear shock and front fork would need to be switched out. That would be a chunk o' money, but probably cheaper than buying a new ride!
    If you put 4 inch rockers on the El Bastardo it would yield 110mm of rear travel not 100mm because you have a 2.25" stroke shock to get the 140mm travel. The BB might be a little low. I did the same thing to a Ciclon and wacked the pedals all the time.....

Not dead yet, just playin
    I dream of a 4" Bastardemontes built with the butted tubeset used in the "racing" Fuego.
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    If you put 4 inch rockers on the El Bastardo it would yield 110mm of rear travel not 100mm because you have a 2.25" stroke shock to get the 140mm travel. The BB might be a little low. I did the same thing to a Ciclon and wacked the pedals all the time.....
    I was told to use a 2" stoke shock with the 4" rockers. (I am geometry ignorant) I understand this will get 100mm and a 13" bb, sound about right?

My Spez Stumpjumper hard tail with 90mm front shock BB is 12" and I don't have any issues.

Think 13" on a FS will be a problem for XC?

Again I am geometry stupid, never really paid attention. Just bought bikes that felt right. now that I am special ordering a frame I need to think about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonTy1 View Post
    I was told to use a 2" stoke shock with the 4" rockers. (I am geometry ignorant) I understand this will get 100mm and a 13" bb, sound about right?

Yep, that's what I was told by Teresa @ Ventana--she said with a 100mm fork it would have a 71-degree head angle which is pretty racy. I would probably go with a 110 or 120 fork to slack that out a bit.

The BB as is feels a little high to me as it is, so lowering it a bit seems like a change for the better.

So I'd need the rockers and a new shock and possibly a new fork. That'd be a chunk of change I'd imagine!

Members who have read this thread: 0