Which 27.5 Wheelset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Which 27.5 Wheelset?

I've been off the bike for a few years and have not really kept up with bike tech or products for even longer. I started riding again recently and decided it was time to replace my 2011 Santa Cruz Nickel with a new Mach 6 carbon, pretty excited to be getting a new bike.

I think I'm pretty happy with the build as is, but if I do decide to upgrade anything it would probably be the wheels and tires. It came with the DT Swiss M1900 wheelset.

What are some good options for 27.5 wheels? I'm looking at Industry 9's offerings, but wondering what else may be out there I dont know about. I dont really have a firm budget but I dont want to waste money either. I'm open to carbon or aluminum rims. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hope Fortus is a good option. The prices are pretty good, and the hub has high engagement so it would "feel" nicer than the DT 1900's. They are also easy to swap to almost any standard, so they wont really go obsolete years from now (this is true for the DT as well).

In theory you can upgrade the 1900 to a 54t ratchet, but the cost probably isn't worth it (about $200 for all the parts I think)

shimano XT is another option... the new shimano wheels (provided you are using shimano 12 speed of course) are actually very very nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    What don't you like about the current wheelset? weight? inner width? points of engagement? That way we can help you find what you need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smashysmashy View Post
    Hope Fortus is a good option. The prices are pretty good, and the hub has high engagement so it would "feel" nicer than the DT 1900's. They are also easy to swap to almost any standard, so they wont really go obsolete years from now (this is true for the DT as well).

In theory you can upgrade the 1900 to a 54t ratchet, but the cost probably isn't worth it (about $200 for all the parts I think)

shimano XT is another option... the new shimano wheels (provided you are using shimano 12 speed of course) are actually very very nice.
    DT M1900 use pawls and not the ratchet

To the OP, I would just keep your wheelset until you need to replace them. The go with either a DT 350 or Onyx racing hub

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    DT M1900 use pawls and not the ratchet
    Indeed. You can upgrade to a 54t ratchet.
    It is expensive though.

Rider
    Onyx hubs, XM481 rims, DT competition spokes. It'll be under a grand and be an nice unit.

Or, you can browse the hundreds of 27.5 takeoff wheelsets at very good prices in the used market.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Onyx hubs, XM481 rims, DT competition spokes. It'll be under a grand and be an nice unit.
    Or hope fortus for under $400us.
    Or DT xm1501 for under $650us (with xm481 rims).

Not that onyx isn't nice, but the price is mental

Dream it, Do it.
    'To me, DT350s are the king of affordable hubs that are really durable and reliable. The only shortcoming is that the standard 18 points of engagement COULD be less than ideal for some people. I've personally not found the need for faster engagement for riding in either California or Washington state. For the trails that I used to ride in the NY/CT/NJ area, faster engagement could be useful. Same in rocky areas.

In terms of rims, I was on Stans Flow Mk3s and have switched to DT XM481s in the past year. The Flow Mk3s have worked well for me. They set up tubeless easily.

The DT XM481 seem to be constructed better than the Flow Mk3s. They also seem to set up reasonably easily. What I do like better about the XM481s compared to the Flow Mk3s is that they feel like they have more ideal amount of vertical compliance. The Flow Mk3s feel softer in the vertical plane and thus feel a little slower rolling. The XM481s feel slightly more rigid vertically like a carbon rim with the ideal amount of vertical compliance and thus seem to roll a bit better than the Flow Mk3s.

I would be wary of getting cheaper non-branded carbon rims just because carbon rims are perceived to be "better". This was a comparison test that we did a while back that included a lower-priced Light Bicycle rim. From a ride quality and handling perspective, I preferred the wheels built with Flow Mk3s. Light Bicycle's current rims may likely have improved, but I sharing this just to support my perspective that carbon rims aren't necessarily better than alloy rims.

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...stans-flow-mk3
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    'To me, DT350s are the king of affordable hubs that are really durable and reliable. The only shortcoming is that the standard 18 points of engagement COULD be less than ideal for some people. I've personally not found the need for faster engagement for riding in either California or Washington state. For the trails that I used to ride in the NY/CT/NJ area, faster engagement could be useful. Same in rocky areas.

In terms of rims, I was on Stans Flow Mk3s and have switched to DT XM481s in the past year. The Flow Mk3s have worked well for me. They set up tubeless easily.

The DT XM481 seem to be constructed better than the Flow Mk3s. They also seem to set up reasonably easily. What I do like better about the XM481s compared to the Flow Mk3s is that they feel like they have more ideal amount of vertical compliance. The Flow Mk3s feel softer in the vertical plane and thus feel a little slower rolling. The XM481s feel slightly more rigid vertically like a carbon rim with the ideal amount of vertical compliance and thus seem to roll a bit better than the Flow Mk3s.

I would be wary of getting cheaper non-branded carbon rims just because carbon rims are perceived to be "better". This was a comparison test that we did a while back that included a lower-priced Light Bicycle rim. From a ride quality and handling perspective, I preferred the wheels built with Flow Mk3s. Light Bicycle's current rims may likely have improved, but I sharing this just to support my perspective that carbon rims aren't necessarily better than alloy rims.

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...stans-flow-mk3
    Hey, I really appreciate this insight. I have been looking at some of the cheep carbon rims wondering exactly what you where talking about.

mtbr member
    Running I-9 Enduro S's. You get the Hydra hubs, and a bit cheaper than the 305's if you want a factory built wheel. Prices are decent for them. You'll be out less than a grand for the set. Nothing to compare them to in 27.5" wheels as I just upgraded from my hope pro 4's on my old SC. I do like the instant engagement of the hydra's. Plus you can get a lot of different colors if you are into that. However the Enduro S is only available in black. Guess it keeps the cost down a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I second the I9 S series wheel set. I have the Trail S on my new Stumpy. Hydra hubs, aluminum rims with straight pull steel spokes not the I9 proprietary aluminum spokes. I use them more than my DT350/carbon set.

If ya have a good relationship with your LBS you'll probably get 10-15% off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
    I second the I9 S series wheel set. I have the Trail S on my new Stumpy. Hydra hubs, aluminum rims with straight pull steel spokes not the I9 proprietary aluminum spokes. I use them more than my DT350/carbon set.

If ya have a good relationship with your LBS you'll probably get 10-15% off.
    The Trail S wheelset looks very similar to the Trail 270 32h. I'm guessing its the same rim but built up with their proprietary system. For an extra $375 or so. What would be the benefits of their proprietary system over the S series?

mtbr member
    I would assume weight etc... I went down the road of proprietary wheels, but never again. (Mavic Crossmax XL) Great wheels but maint was hell, hard to get parts, and God forbid if you ever traveled and messed something up, don't count on getting them fixed. Yeah, the I9 hydra's are wierd and you need a 28 hole rim, but sure nice to roll into a bike shop with a broken spoke and know they have them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    ^^Yep probably weight and color availability Like was mentioned the "S" Series is black only I would think a lot of shops carry straight pull steel spokes. I9 sends a couple extras when you order a wheel set.