27.5" VS Fat tire for gravel roads- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

27.5" VS Fat tire for gravel roads

Hey guys was hoping you could help me out with a question.

I have a Specialized Fatboy that i bought last summer thinking i would use it a lot in the winter. Well over halfway into winter i have put on 10 miles. I am able to trade a guy for his Cannondale Bad Habit 2. He has 2.8" tires on it and has the original 3"also.

I ride a lot of gravel roads, and just old section line roads. I also ride singletrack trails from time to time. My question is would I be better off just getting a 27.5 instead of a fatty. Does anyone have any experience with a fat tire and a 27.5 on gravel roads.

I am just worried that if i swap over to a non fat tire that the gravel riding wont be as easy. I would imagine the trail riding would be more fun. But i am really just a newbie to biking.

Thanks for any help

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    2.8" tires are really fun for just about everything except of you are really heavy and the tires can squish a bit cornering trail riding. If the rims on that bike are 35mm internal width or thinner you could go down to a 2.4WT even if you want smaller.

If you think you made a wrong choice and can get out of it without taking too much of a hit and replace it with something comparable I think it would be a good choice.

edit: looks like it has 45mm internal so 2.8's probably the smallest you can use.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    It would be an straight up swap which I think is a pretty even trade. I am not a heavy guy (155#) so that will not be an issue.
    Is it best to be on the small or large side for bike sizing. For example Im 510 so I could ride a Large or Medium according to Specialized and Cannondale sizing charts. My Specialized is a Large where this Cannondale is a medium. Im guessing it would fit me. Thanks for the help.