27.5 Stumpjumper S-works- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

27.5 Stumpjumper S-works

Guys...question. I have a Yeti SB100 but want to add another horse to the stable. I am considering the S-Works Stumpjumper 27.5 which I think would be a very good bike for my desired uses that require more travel.

Million dollar question: I read a recent article talking about most bike brands are now chasing the 29'er market (and of course trying to get their geometry right on them, hence the never ending changes recently). Long story short....27.5's are being phased out (according the the article).

Am I a fool for considering a 27.5 if my turnover of the bike is perhaps 2-3 years out ? I know some folks will just say ride what floats your boat, but I don't want to be foolish about spending several thousand on a bike where eventual resale is likely.

BTW...if I don't get the Stumpjumper then I get the Yeti Sb130.

Thoughts....input?

mtbr member
    I really hope the 27.5 size stays around. I hate to hear of 'phasing out'.
    Im enjoying the 27.5 x 2.6 setup on my 5010 for the places I ride. Im very fortunate in that I also have a 29er Tallboy which I like (considering selling it though)
    I dont really have any great input, other than I guess it depends on where and how you ride.
    PS- I have ridden the SB100 and loved the handling and rear suspension.
    Hope this helps - I tend to ramble sometimes

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There have been a lot of companies in a pretty good position to phase out 27.5 if they wanted to, but instead put in the time to advance new 27.5 specific frames. So I don't think it's the case. If you're concerned about resale, I'm not sure that the Specialized is the bike for you- but it's always a risk I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I don't think 27.5 are going to be phased out. Many people see the advantages of 27.5 with a 2.6 tire for a particular terrain. How bout this formula. If the place you ride the most you average 6mph or less at the end of the day, get a 27.5. If you ave more than 6mph get a 29er.

Ride what you like!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhosfelt View Post
    I don't think 27.5 are going to be phased out. Many people see the advantages of 27.5 with a 2.6 tire for a particular terrain. How bout this formula. If the place you ride the most you average 6mph or less at the end of the day, get a 27.5. If you ave more than 6mph get a 29er.
    Interesting. Never heard speed used as a deciding factor, but it makes sense. At lower speeds, the extra weight and momentum of the 29" wheel would be fighting you. But I gotta ask, any reason for the 6 mph cutoff, or just an arbitrary number you applied?
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Counter point. Why spend several thousand on a 29er you won't truly enjoy as much as the 27.5? What if this causes you to sell the bike sooner, this wasting more money?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the input. That speed thing has really got me thinking now. I do see
    MTByumyum (youtube) rides an IBIS Mojo 27.5 and lives in Salt lake City and rides the big stuff and alot of of downhill....not sure how that plays into your idea on speed ? I did buy an sb130, but not ruling out Sworks Stumpjumper just yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I ride one place where the trail is nothing but tight, off chambered, rocky rooty, short abrupt uphill downhills. You never really get over 6 to 8mph on the average. I think this suits a 27.5. I ride another place where its smoother flowing and speeds range from 12 to 18 mph. For this I think a 29er works best. I live in Ks. where there are no downhills.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I own a 2016 S Works Camber. Absolutely love it. I would prefer a 29er...but between my skill and height, 27 is easier for me to dominate. Speed goes to my 29er for my local terrain...but speed never was my thing (that's what you say when you're slow).