27.5 that rides like a 29er- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

27.5 that rides like a 29er

Ive been riding 29ers for a while but sometimes have difficulty getting the fit right since i am 5'6" with short arms and legs (29" inseam). Im currently on a med Spot Mayhem and really like how efficient it feels while pedaling. It also fits me really well with the exception of me having sometimes having difficulty moving the bike around under me. If i try to get behind the bike (for most the 29ers) the back wheel has a tendency to buzz my rear end.

I also ride in New England so the trails have little elevation and there is lots of up, down, start stop riding over rocks and roots sort of riding. I dont want to feel the suspension working under me. However when i put the power down i want it to respond and not get knocked off a line easily.

Is there a 27.5 bike that has the get up and go and roll over everything feel of a 29er once you get it up to speed? It has to be able to power up and over things without being harsh but not mushy. So far ive been thinking a Niner Rip9 27.5, Evil Calling, Yeti SB140. Anything else I should look at?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I had an Ibis Ripley (29er) and also a Trek Fuel EX. I currently have a 27.5 and moved to it SPECIFICALLY because of your issue. I'm of a smaller frame and wanted more "playability" on the bike. I just got my TREK Roscoe 7, 27.5 2.8 wide tires. I'm not a pro rider but consider myself pretty skilled, especially at climbing/descending rocky single track. This thing ROCKS. I love it and here in Vegas there are a LOT of rocks, but the Roscoe just performs and I'm having more fun with it than I did my previous Full Suspension bikes.

But if you are looking for a GREAT 27.5 Full-Suspension.....Look at the Ibis Mojo or HD4. Either one will definitely be my next bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm searching for my next 27.5 also.

Going to be either a SC 5010 or the Ibis Mojo 3.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For a more 29'er feel on a 27.5, you'd need a wider ERD rim, maybe add a few more mm's, maybe 8 or 10mm if your lucky, and get a wider and taller tire to get the diameter longer.

mtbr member
    Not sure you can get a 27.5 that "rides" like a 29. I've got both and the wheels have characteristics all their own. At 5'6"...you still should be fine on a short travel 29er. I feel that once a person dips below a certain height...the 29 inch wheel starts to get harder to handle...and with bikes getting longer...it magnifies that affect. I'm not that tall at 5'8". I have a 27.5 that's 140mm and a 29r that's 120mm. As travel increases...I prefer the 27.5. At least for me...the increased travel up front (140mm and up) with a 29in wheel...the front end starts to get too high. I got a chance to ride my friend's Slash 29. I felt really high off the ground the entire time.

Hisforever
    At 5í6 27.5 would be killer. So many good choices. The new TRScout carries speed like no 27.5 Iíve tried. Hd4ís solid all around. Maybe the Updated 5? Calling is a Sweet playbike but doesnít climb great Imo, little dated geo if that matters. I thought the spot mayhem felt a little dead. Wasnít exciting enough, to me it Just pedalled well. I like a a bike on the opposite end from xc so take this as just another opinion. In the end I sold it quickly, And how about that tall seatube:0
    Yeti felt like a rocket but a little harsh sometimes if you are sensitive-maybe less forgiving than others imo. Have you seen the esker elkat? Looks interesting. Revel look great and work! probably my next mainstream rig
    Hope this helps! Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ibis Mojo 4. BOOM.

mtbr member
    Not all 29ers ride alike.
    Not all 27.5's ride alike.
    So looking for advice on a 27.5 that rides like a 29 is kind of tough to respond to, other than get a 27.5 with big tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Lots of good bike suggestions above.

I would go with wider 27.5" tires (27.5+, eg 2.6" wide). The wider tires will increase the overall tire/wheel diameter more than standard 27.5" (eg 2.3" wide). You won't be exactly 29er roll over heights, but will have a bit more roll over than normal width 27.5"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm 5'6" and deal with the compromise of hang up or butt buzz. I love the rollover for tech especially climbing of a 29er. I dont like 27.5 or mullet in slow tech in the Mid Atlantic. With enough momentum 27.5 is fine downhill.

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Is there a 27.5 bike that has the get up and go and roll over everything feel of a 29er once you get it up to speed? It has to be able to power up and over things without being harsh but not mushy. So far ive been thinking a Niner Rip9 27.5, Evil Calling, Yeti SB140. Anything else I should look at?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I recommend the Pivot Trail 429. It's a 27.5 bike, but when you put 29 wheels on it it will feel like a 29er while still being a 27.5 bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    You might need to be the first to mullet a new Ibis Mojo 4 - 27.5 rear with a 29 front could be just what you are looking for.