mtbr member
    Sep 2018

27.5 plus tires-any advantages??

I just bought my first real mountain bike. I got a Santa Cruz 5010 and I remember being very careful that I ordered it correctly. Whatever happened happened and now I'm stuck with a 27.5 plus (2.6") instead of the 27.5 regular (2.3 "). It shipped from Cali To Ga so no going back to the shop. I'm really bummed. I haven't even ridden yet bc I don't know if I can exchange them or not yet (Probably not) and I'm tapped for cash after spending 4k on it. SO is it a big deal? I wanted this bike bc I want to up my game jumping, cornering, and freestyle stuff. How disappointed am i going to be if I run the bigger tires?

mtbr member
    The bigger tires should bring a bigger grin to your face. Only downside will be a bit more weight and a bit more rolling resistance. Based on your intended use, just hop on the bike and enjoy the hell out of it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    2.6 tires are not "plus" tires. Plus tires start at 2.8 inches. Last year's 5010 had clearance for 2.4/2.5 tires or so. This year's has clearance for 2.8s and is available with either conventional width tires on ~29mm rims or 2.6s on 35mm rims, sold as their "plus" option.

35mm rims are wide enough to run 2.8 tires, so you can run plus tires if you want or a conventional 2.4. They are supplied with 2.6" tires that split the difference.

Were I buying a 5010 this year, which I would be doing if they offered it in a color I wanted this year, I would make the choice that you made and go for the bike with the 35mm rims. It allows you to run a 2.4 tire if you want or a true plus tire at 2.8" if you want. I have been running a 3" tire on my hardtail this year and it has been great. I would be willing to try the 2.6" tire to see how it splits the difference. On harder rock like up in western CO, the wider tires don't offer much advantage, but in the desert down here in NM and West TX, the gravel over rock loose over hard sort of surface, the plus tires are a huge advantage and I wouldn't want to be without them.

The narrower rims would restrict you, practically, to a 2.5 width. The 35mm rims are not ideal for the most narrow tires, but they work well with 2.5-2.8" width tires, the range of tread patterns and carcass designs of which will work anywhere you could possibly use the bike.

In short, you made the right choice. Wider rims = better for anything for which you'd use a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you soooo much for this information. That really helps me A LOT! And I feel much better about my bike now. I will run these and mayge switch to 2.5 in the Spring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    I'm about to order the S+, I think. You just have to really dial in the tire pressures, with one or two psi making a noticeable difference in ride feel.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    You got lucky. 2.6 on 27.5 is damn fun.

If the dhf front rekon terra rear is to slow move the rekon terra to front and use a rekon 3c Maxx speed as rear.
    Notice the wider tires isn't much more heavy. The difference between a 2.4wt dual rekon and a 2.83c rekon is nothing imo. Weight is not a factor here.
    Psi is a bit of a drawback as a few psi make a difference so you have to check more. That's not fun.

At least for my weight class I think Santa made the wrong choice to use i35 for those 2.6 tires. I30 would be better. If that soft maxxis rubber used on the side lugs on dhf and rekon terra starts to engage to often it will kill speed. Therefore make sure you keep tyre pressure above that level.

Ordered a Scott genius 700 tuned with 27.5 2.8 and predicted I would run 29 2.35 95% of the time so I ordered those wheels at the same time because 29 2.35 yada yada . It went opposite. As a result of that I got myself a new 2.6 27.5 wheelset for my ht for fun riding !!!
    So take care you might lose more money for your other bikes!

Go ride that bike obviously. You will have loads of fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you I really appreciate the technical details that are hard to find elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Isn't there some sort of order form that the shop used to place the order for the bike you wanted?

If so, does the bike match the order form? If yes, then either a) the 2.6 is the only option or b) the form wasn't looked over as closely as suspected.

Did the specification for the bike change for 2019, and you were not aware that the manufacturer changed the spec of the bike from the last time you 'knew' what was stock?

mtbr member
    I went from 2.35 Nobby Nics to 2.6 NN; the bigger tires are faster up and down. Very happy with the plus-minus tires.
    Last edited by slomtbr; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:49 AM.
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I think the mistake was on their end but I can't prove it. Long story.

mtbr member
    I added 2.6" tires to my 5010 and I love them. I think they're a great compromise between cross country tire fast and plus tire grippy.

mtbr member
    I have a Yeti SB5c and went from 2.25/2.35 to 2.6 front and back and improved my climb times in the process. For me, and where I ride, 27.5x2.6 is the sweet spot. They feel more plush, engage better, and the stopwatch doesn't lie. They're faster!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TTOKER View Post
    I just bought my first real mountain bike. I got a Santa Cruz 5010 and I remember being very careful that I ordered it correctly. Whatever happened happened and now I'm stuck with a 27.5 plus (2.6") instead of the 27.5 regular (2.3 "). It shipped from Cali To Ga so no going back to the shop. I'm really bummed. I haven't even ridden yet bc I don't know if I can exchange them or not yet (Probably not) and I'm tapped for cash after spending 4k on it. SO is it a big deal? I wanted this bike bc I want to up my game jumping, cornering, and freestyle stuff. How disappointed am i going to be if I run the bigger tires?
    you don't really need a 4k bike to shred like a boss, but anyways, the wider tires are going to be better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    When I ordered my 2019 5010, I made sure I got the + with 2.6's. I've been stoked running 3" tires on my HT. You'll love it bro

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Granny_Gear View Post
    you don't really need a 4k bike to shred like a boss, but anyways, the wider tires are going to be better.
    You don't need a 4k bike but you want a 4k bike. If you can afford one then go for it and ride it as slow as possible or only use it to get groceries if that's what you want to do. Who cares, bling bike stuff is awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by krumme View Post
    You got lucky. 2.6 on 27.5 is damn fun.

If the dhf front rekon terra rear is to slow move the rekon terra to front and use a rekon 3c Maxx speed as rear....
    The only Rekon that comes in 3C Maxx Speed is the 2.25 version. The dual compound 2.6 Rekon for the rear FTW...
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    The only Rekon that comes in 3C Maxx Speed is the 2.25 version. The dual compound 2.6 Rekon for the rear FTW...
    Ahh ok. But I have 3c Maxx speed on my 2.8 also so guessed the 2.6 was there too. Came stock on the genius 700 tuned 2018. Not all models is on Maxxis site. Take 2.6 ikon as an example also.

But dual will work the same for speed in my experience. Or heck the ikon 2.6 if it needs to be really fast.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I added 2.6" tires to my 5010 and I love them. I think they're a great compromise between cross country tire fast and plus tire grippy.
    What size rim do you have? I just got a 5010 w/i25ís wondering if they would be counter productive running 2.5-2.6 tires and should wait and wear out the stock 2.3/2.25 set and go to bigger size with a wheel set upgrade.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Isn't optimal rim width correlated strongly to your weight?

What data do we have here?

I mean my wife is 54kg. Runs a 9.6 kg ht and some sram roam 50 wide angle i21 27.5 wheels with 2.25 62a simgle rubber mavic quest. She runs 11-12 psi up front.
    The fork is 120mm and it's slacked a bit but it's very much about weight of bike vs her weight.
    That is some burly wheels for her and burly tyres.
    Looks like 29 2.5 dhr on an average man.
    If I gave her some just slightly grippier trail tyres on i25 rims she would complain after 25 meters. Literally. She is obsessed with weight. No wonder.
    We would say she is riding a xc bike. She isn't. It's a burly trail bike in her world.

And serious I have to wait enough for her when riding. Weight is a factor. Especially on the wheels.

Add if those softer side nobs begins to engage to much it's killing speed. With wider rims that is a concern. I think much of the hate for plus tyres comes from too wide rims with too little pressure.
    So it's no free lunch here.
    That said I am glad wider rims is here. And seeing more weighty males on old i19 it's nothing short of a revelation there is more choice and wider rims these days. For safety too. Lol.
    Wider rims is damn nice.

It just need to be wide right. For my 72kg not geared up I think rekon 2.4 is borderline on i30. 2.6 fits spot on and I certainly wouldn't go wider personally. The 2.6 isn't really much bigger than say a 2.5 or a schwalbe mm 2.35. If it eg. was stans rims I would take flow i29 vs baron i35 each day of the week for my weight and purpose for the 2.6 rekon. All personal.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ahh ok. But I have 3c Maxx speed on my 2.8 also so guessed the 2.6 was there too. Came stock on the genius 700 tuned 2018. Not all models is on Maxxis site. Take 2.6 ikon as an example also.

But dual will work the same for speed in my experience. Or heck the ikon 2.6 if it needs to be really fast.
    That's odd cuz when I emailed Maxxis about the 27.5 Rekon+ a year or so ago they said it would only be available in DC or 3C MaxxTerra.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    yeaa. guess its oem tyres only then (or whatever its called). Damn. I really, really like the 2.8 max speed. Because of its...speed , i guess the alternative is ikon 2.8 next time then if they dont bring the 2.8 max speed to market. Max speed rear - maxx terra front. Makes loads of sense.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    There is a rekon2.6 vs ikon 2.35 comparison here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wbMeIGJ1Hk

Not much difference imo. 3mm or so.

NedwannaB
    Isn't optimal rim width correlated strongly to your weight?

What data do we have here?

I mean my wife is 54kg. Runs a 9.6 kg ht and some sram roam 50 wide angle i21 27.5 wheels with 2.25 62a simgle rubber mavic quest. She runs 11-12 psi up front.
    The fork is 120mm and it's slacked a bit but it's very much about weight of bike vs her weight.
    That is some burly wheels for her and burly tyres.
    Looks like 29 2.5 dhr on an average man.
    If I gave her some just slightly grippier trail tyres on i25 rims she would complain after 25 meters. Literally. She is obsessed with weight. No wonder.
    We would say she is riding a xc bike. She isn't. It's a burly trail bike in her world.

And serious I have to wait enough for her when riding. Weight is a factor. Especially on the wheels.

Add if those softer side nobs begins to engage to much it's killing speed. With wider rims that is a concern. I think much of the hate for plus tyres comes from too wide rims with too little pressure.
    So it's no free lunch here.
    That said I am glad wider rims is here. And seeing more weighty males on old i19 it's nothing short of a revelation there is more choice and wider rims these days. For safety too. Lol.
    Wider rims is damn nice.

It just need to be wide right. For my 72kg not geared up I think rekon 2.4 is borderline on i30. 2.6 fits spot on and I certainly wouldn't go wider personally. The 2.6 isn't really much bigger than say a 2.5 or a schwalbe mm 2.35. If it eg. was stans rims I would take flow i29 vs baron i35 each day of the week for my weight and purpose for the 2.6 rekon. All personal.

Have fun.
    Ok. So my stats:

~135# girlyman physique
    Trail/Aggressive XC
    SC 5010
    Could I run 2.6 Recon/Ikonís on i25ís?
    With appropriate psi ofcourse. 👍😎

TIA

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Ok. So my stats:

~135# girlyman physique
    Trail/Aggressive XC
    SC 5010
    Could I run 2.6 Recon/Ikonís on i25ís?
    With appropriate psi ofcourse.

TIA
    I think I will try ikon 2.6 29 on my Scott genius tuned and perhaps some rekon race 2.25 rear all on i25. For a more xc oriented wheelset besides the rekon 2.8 i30 27.5 I run now. If i get first I will let you know about ikon 2.6 on i25

Tried my new ikon 2.35 on i21 front on my ht. Man those tires are certainly build for the stoneage because they look perfect on i21. I wouldn't have any trouble running those at i19 at all. The aspen race 2.1 was less square on the i21. Look more like a i23 rim tyre to me. Fantastic tyres btw for more race. That aspen is fast. Good to have the xc wheelset set proper up and back on the ht. Love that tyre combo. Different wheelset and tyres is fun.

Its evident the rekon 2.4 2.6 and 2.8 tyres I run is made for 30 to 35. But the ikon 2.35 casing is different from my looks. Seems far more square than 2.25 rocket ron and 2.35 magic Mary on i21 to me.

Not sure that ikon 2.6 casing is similar to 2.6 rekon. Anyways I would tilt towards yes for 2.6 rekon for your weight on i25 - not only work because it obviously will but also fairly good if speed is also a concern. But havnt tried it and I am a bit more heavy.

All personal. Have fun.

Beginner. 72kg. Technical xc.
    Last edited by krumme; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 AM.

mtbr member
    What size rim do you have? I just got a 5010 w/i25ís wondering if they would be counter productive running 2.5-2.6 tires and should wait and wear out the stock 2.3/2.25 set and go to bigger size with a wheel set upgrade.
    They're I-9 Enduro wheels, so the rim is 30.5mm internal-pretty wide. I kinda wish I had a narrower rim for the back as I think it would help with the very tight clearance but I bought these wheels as a set. I haven't seen any sign that they rub so I think it's fine-it just looks scary tight and sometimes a pebble or stick gets picked up by the tire tread and doesn't clear the rear triangle as easily as it would with, say a 2.2" tire.

mtbr member
    Plus tires are way more fun...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    They're I-9 Enduro wheels, so the rim is 30.5mm internal-pretty wide. I kinda wish I had a narrower rim for the back as I think it would help with the very tight clearance but I bought these wheels as a set. I haven't seen any sign that they rub so I think it's fine-it just looks scary tight and sometimes a pebble or stick gets picked up by the tire tread and doesn't clear the rear triangle as easily as it would with, say a 2.2" tire.
    I9ís nice! Some day....
    The tires on the bike I initially looked at to buy(got sold over the weekend)had High Roller ll/CrossMark But the bike they pulled in from a different store has the DHF/DHR tires so theyíre plenty stout enuff to run me thru winter! 👍😎🤙

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTOKER View Post
    I have 5010 Version 1. I put 27.5x2.6 on the bike to REPLACE 2.3's I feel like the bike rides better with 2.6. More grip lower rolling resistance (due to running less aggressive tires) and slightly better roll over. I am doing this on 35mm internal width wheels. The old ones were 23mm width. If the wheels are not too wide (like mine) then you can always put 2.3 on there if you want. Just a tire change.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have 5010 Version 1. I put 27.5x2.6 on the bike to REPLACE 2.3's I feel like the bike rides better with 2.6. More grip lower rolling resistance (due to running less aggressive tires) and slightly better roll over. I am doing this on 35mm internal width wheels. The old ones were 23mm width. If the wheels are not too wide (like mine) then you can always put 2.3 on there if you want. Just a tire change.
    Hey Joe what 2.6ís are you running down there in AZ? Some friends up here in NorCal on 29rs are switching to the Rekon and love them but I havenít seen any 27.5ís.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 Joe, what tires are you talking about?

I road my friends new Ibis HD today and it had a set of 2.6" Minions on it. They rolled a lot better than I ever thought they could.
    Last edited by John Kuhl; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I9ís nice! Some day....
    The tires on the bike I initially looked at to buy(got sold over the weekend)had High Roller ll/CrossMark But the bike they pulled in from a different store has the DHF/DHR tires so theyíre plenty stout enuff to run me thru winter! 👍😎🤙
    Heh, just the aluminum-rim version-nothing real fancy. I needed new wheels, wanted to try wider rims and they were on sale. Hub has a nice buzzzzzzz.

mtbr member
    Hey Joe what 2.6ís are you running down there in AZ? Some friends up here in NorCal on 29rs are switching to the Rekon and love them but I havenít seen any 27.5ís.
    2.6 Rekon in the rear and 2.6 Forekaster in front. I have room in the stock Fox Fork to fit probably 2.8 Forekaster since the tire runs a bit narrow. I replaced a High Roller II (2.4) front and 2.35 Hans Dampf in the back. The Forekaster/Rekon combo has more grip and better rolling resistance. I suspect the grip is better due to larger tire size and lower pressure (15/20psi vs 21/28). Plus they are lighter too. I also perfer the rounder profile of the forekaster to more square profile of the HRII. Personal preference as I don't need to lean the bike as much and get the same grip for any lean angle.

27.5 plus tires-any advantages??-lemmondrop.jpg
    27.5 plus tires-any advantages??-img_2703.jpg
    27.5 plus tires-any advantages??-img_2705.jpg

Rear Rekon 2.6
    27.5 plus tires-any advantages??-img_2716.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

NedwannaB
    Thanks Joe. That looks like a beefy setup. I just picked up an alloy 5010. What model fork and travel are you running on yours?

mtbr member
    Thanks Joe. That looks like a beefy setup. I just picked up an alloy 5010. What model fork and travel are you running on yours?
    Just the stock one 130mm travel Fox 32 that came on the bike.

27.5 plus tires-any advantages??-img_2708.jpg
    Joe

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Just the stock one 130mm travel Fox 32 that came on the bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2708.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	1226731
    Cool. Maybe @my 140# weight the base tier 32 Recon Silver I have will carry me for abit til I gather some funds for a little better model fork.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    +1 Joe, what tires are you talking about?

I road my friends new Ibis HD today and it had a set of 2.6" Minions on it? They rolled a lot better than I ever thought they could.
    See his reply to my inquiry above. 😎

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice dude! I'm running 2.6s on my intense Spider and love them. Great trail/xc tire. I'm running a nobby nick front and rocket ron rear. These make a great all around trail setup for my purpose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk