27.5 Hardtail choices- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

27.5 Hardtail choices

Hey everyone, I've decided that I'd like to get a hardtail to use for flow and jump trails and would like it to be a 27.5 to be more playful.

I know nothing really about hardtails so I'd appreciate some frame suggestions as I'm not sure how geo effects handling of a hardtail. Also how much do +size tires really effect handling? Ive tried them before and thought they were way clunkier than a normal 2.4in tire.

So far my top choices are the Banshee Paradox V3 and the Marin San Quentin 3.
    I'm also looking at the Commencal Meta HT and Nukeproof scout but these seem to be using some older geos and have really short reaches. Numbers aren't everything though so I'm still keeping an open mind.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a frame thats aggressive and can handle jumps and drops?

mtbr member
    I'd stay away from plus tires. A HT for use on DJ type features and for fun in general will benefit from a firmer ride. You'd be good with 2.3-2.4 tires. I'd look for a steel frame, if available. Aluminum will work, but fatigue may be an issue after years of abuse from jumps, etc. The shorter the chainstay length, the better. 27.5s are getting harder to find, so you're choices will be limited.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I'd stay away from plus tires. A HT for use on DJ type features and for fun in general will benefit from a firmer ride. You'd be good with 2.3-2.4 tires. I'd look for a steel frame, if available. Aluminum will work, but fatigue may be an issue after years of abuse from jumps, etc. The shorter the chainstay length, the better. 27.5s are getting harder to find, so you're choices will be limited.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Have any steel frame suggestions that fit 27.5s?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by habaden View Post
    Hey everyone, I've decided that I'd like to get a hardtail to use for flow and jump trails and would like it to be a 27.5 to be more playful.

I know nothing really about hardtails so I'd appreciate some frame suggestions as I'm not sure how geo effects handling of a hardtail. Also how much do +size tires really effect handling? Ive tried them before and thought they were way clunkier than a normal 2.4in tire.

So far my top choices are the Banshee Paradox V3 and the Marin San Quentin 3.
    I'm also looking at the Commencal Meta HT and Nukeproof scout but these seem to be using some older geos and have really short reaches. Numbers aren't everything though so I'm still keeping an open mind.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a frame thats aggressive and can handle jumps and drops?
    Some good options in specs, geo and budget are the Marin San Quentin, Ragley Mmmbop (alu) and Ragley Blue Pig (steel). I feel that these bikes are very solid and have good price to performance balance. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Bipolar roller
    BFe from cotic checks a lot of your boxes.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    BFe from cotic checks a lot of your boxes.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe
    This bike looks awesome but it seems pretty long which would make it feel big and sluggish on the trails right?

Your bike sucks
    This bike looks awesome but it seems pretty long which would make it feel big and sluggish on the trails right?
    Not necessarily. Another one to check out is what I have: Chromag Stylus. Or maybe the Chromag Wideangle if the Stylus is a little too aggressive for what you want.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Not necessarily. Another one to check out is what I have: Chromag Stylus. Or maybe the Chromag Wideangle if the Stylus is a little too aggressive for what you want.
    Yeah right now i'm stuck between the San Quentin and the Stylus. Both look super fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'd go Chromag. The Stylus is known to be built take whatever punishment you can put out.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

NedwannaB
    Check out "Hardtail Party" feed on YouTube.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack