27.5 hardtail with 65 degree headtube angle, shortest possible stays?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

27.5 hardtail with 65 degree headtube angle, shortest possible stays?

I'm curious if this exists - a purpose built 27.5 hardtail frame (not a 29/27.5+) that has the latest, greatest geometry (~65 degree headtube, ~78 degree seat tube).

The reason that I'm looking for a 27.5 frame, and not a 29/27.5+ frame is that the plan is to run a 2.35 rear tire and the 27.5+ frames have extra chainstay length that is wasted if you aren't running plus tires. As an example, I'm running a 27.5x2.35 on the rear of my Nimble 9 and there is almost one inch of unneeded room between the tire and seat tube.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Your bike sucks
    Chromag Stylus approaches a few of your numbers. I have one on order - IIRC, @160mm fork = 64 HTA, 77 STA. I cannot wait - their geo is hitting all my sweet spots. Oh - chain stays 419mm... braaaap.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The Stylus would be my first thought too. Most other hardtails with around a 65 degree head angle are in the 75-73 degree STA.

78deg STA seems pretty crazy steep for a hardtail though considering it will get steeper as the fork compresses.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

Your bike sucks
    I just rechecked the STA and they list it at 76 w/ 160mm fork. Plenty steep for me on a hard tail; OP may see it differently but for me - I just wanted that # 'in range' and used it to interpret the ETT #.

Also full disclosure, Chromag sent me the 2020 geo chart - it's the same bike & same geo # as 2019 - but technically they list the numbers using a 170mm fork but I suspect they just have a new 'sample fork' that has same axle to crown numbers of the previous 160mm...or just didn't really bother to recompute. I'm not pedantic enough for this to influence my selection.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Iíve been looking for the same thing. Except in ti. Nordest makes a 160 mm fork 410 chain stay 65 degree head tube. I believe the seat tube 75. 27.5 only frame. But itís from Spain Also RSD middle child 64.5 head 74 head 150 fork chainstay 415-430 slider They also make it in steel I believe thereís rumors of an MC aluminum frame in the works. From Toronto. I think the numbers are right? Check to make sure. Canfield has a New Nimble 9. 150 fork 66 head. Colors IMO are god awful in steel I believe all three have low stand over which Cromags typically arenít as much. I prefer low slung bikes. Iím vertically challenged 5í7Ē. My fully is a Evil Calling pretty low slung.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    RSD is 27.5+
    Kingdom bikes for TI bikes
    BTR belter another one for the list for op

mtbr member
    Kingdom are interesting choice..Iíve considered one. I thought of going with a custom builder in the states like Erickson or others. Thereís steel custom builders out there also. Iíd like to ride before I buy. Iíd have to do some traveling to ride a Nordest or a Kindom. Maybe bite the bullet and have something made. It just money. Ha. Nordest is the closest to what I have in mind.

mtbr member
    https://www.marinobike.com/

Marino Bikes will make you a custom 275er to your spec for a very affordable price.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    https://www.marinobike.com/

Marino Bikes will make you a custom 275er to your spec for a very affordable price.
    Wow. Incredibly affordable. And cool that you can specify basically everything. They're based in Peru... wonder if that would cause any issues before/during/after the sale?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Wow. Incredibly affordable. And cool that you can specify basically everything. They're based in Peru... wonder if that would cause any issues before/during/after the sale?
    Peru is why the frames are so cheap so you have to accept that, but it's a steel hardtail so it's not rocket science and the they aren't shooting for the lightest most delicate end of that bike category. Think Surly vs. Naked bikes. Having to ship a frame back and forth for a warranty issue would be a drag, but I think the risk of that happening would be low.

I just got a domestic steel hardtail frame built by a good, but not famous/boutique builder and it cost ~5 Marinos.

FWIW - ask around the net. Marino has a solid reputation. I'm not suggesting they couldn't make a mistake or have a problem, but they are not a fly by night operation pumping out junk.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Very interesting especially the price and options.

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFattie View Post
    I'm curious if this exists - a purpose built 27.5 hardtail frame (not a 29/27.5+) that has the latest, greatest geometry (~65 degree headtube, ~78 degree seat tube).

The reason that I'm looking for a 27.5 frame, and not a 29/27.5+ frame is that the plan is to run a 2.35 rear tire and the 27.5+ frames have extra chainstay length that is wasted if you aren't running plus tires. As an example, I'm running a 27.5x2.35 on the rear of my Nimble 9 and there is almost one inch of unneeded room between the tire and seat tube.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My question is: are there any 27.5 AM HT frames out there that are not boosted?

mtbr member
    Pipedream Moxie