mtbr member

26 rear tire recommendations with 650B front?

Which 26 inch rear tire with aggressive tread to go with Neo Moto on front? Both probably tubeless.

Also, which fast 26 inch tire to go with Quasi Moto on front for a light fast setup mostly on fireroads, singletrack and pavement.?

I'm already comfortable with setting up tires with Stans sealant, I just need some good tires.

Currently I have Hutchinson Piranha 26x2.0 and they run well tubeless but I'm not that happy with the tread.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just ran a new Conti Speed King 2.1 on the rear of my Neo-front Rize- it really worked well in the massive amounts of loose sand we have right now. I really love the Neo, and the Speed King seems a good match for aggressive riding. For hard pack and dirt roads, I have a Maxxis Monorail on the rear and a Quasi up front on my Scalpel. I'm using the Maaxis because it's what came with the bike, it's pretty light, and it rolls smoothly- I may go with a Crow or a Racing Ralph on the rear for dry races when it wears out.

I think I need to Upgrade
    What kind of trails are you riding? conditions? loose? hard pack? mud? sand? cow dung? your livingroom with shag carpet (not knocking shag carpet btw)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2.3 Neo front/2.0 Kenda Karma rear here.

www.derbyrims.com
    Panaracer Ramage is almost identical in design to the Neo-moto, and is made by the same company. I used this combination and the handling balance was excellent.

mtbr member

Hah! I really like frise carpet, but would have astroturf if

Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    What kind of trails are you riding? conditions? loose? hard pack? mud? sand? cow dung? your livingroom with shag carpet (not knocking shag carpet btw)?
    If my wife would let me. I have laminate in the living room, which is really best for all things bike-related.

Anyway, trails are mostly sandy with lots of roots. Rains a lot in spring and fall. Wet leaves, etc. The lighter/faster setup is gong on a single speed which will also sometimes be a commuter. The other set is for an all-around trail bike with FS. If I travel west I'll find similar dirt but some sharp shale-like rocks on and near the AT in Western Virginia.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    99% sure I'll be running a 2.3 Racing ralph with a 2.2 Conti MK supersonic.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Neo Moto front, Panaracer Rampage on the rear are great together.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Mojo MadDuc

650B Tire combo

I am running a Mutano Raptor in the rear and a Nevegal in the front. The combo rolls well and works great in the hardpack and rocks in Texas. Hope this helps.

MadDuc916

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I still think the Geax Saguaro is one of my favorite rear tires. Especially when it's worn in a little, it rolls great. I just replaced mine after two years of constant riding/racing. I put a pretty deep scratch in the sidewall flying through some rocks in a race.

I replaced it with a Furious Fred which, no surprise here, is insanely fast and good traction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm a Maxxis fan. I'd suggest Ignitor for aggressive and the Larsen TT for the fast stuff. I actually just run the Larsen TT 2.0 full time in the rear with a 2.35 Neo up front.

I do have a 650b front and 26" rear Racing Ralph that were ridden twice if anyone is looking for a great deal on a set. Just not my cup of tea.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'd say the Kenda Nevegals since they make it for all three wheel sizes now would be a good choice for any mixed wheel diameter bike. Run a 26x2.35 in the back and a 27.5x2.35 in front for example.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0