26" fork.. 650b wheel and bridge clearance.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

26" fork.. 650b wheel and bridge clearance.

Hi, I just jumped outta the 29er HT and into a full squish 26er.. but i keep contemplating going 650b. Because after a year it going to be cheaper then getting another bike, already on my third in 14months.. i know i have a problem though, and im told admitting it is half the battle. lol

I have a reign and i know the rear will fit a 650b, and i know people have stuffed a 650 into the RS revelation. My question is, with the clearance between rubber and bridge so minimal is anyone having an issues with rocks jamming up the front wheel?. I would imagine the majority just make a terrible noise and remove some paint on the way through, but is locking up the front wheel a real possibility?.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    ...not sure about the revelation but I run a SID on my XC with a neo-moto 2.1 up front and recently went OTBs when I got a 5mm piece of bark jammed in between the tyre and the bridge (about 2mm clearance). It didn't happen again on that day. The neo-moto is a higher profile to what I run now - fireXC 2.1 (this provides about 10mm clearance).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have the 2012 Giant Reign 2. It has the Fox 32 Float 150mm and I have the 650b clearing the fork quite well.

The set up is No Tubes Flox EX with a Vee Rubber Mission 650b X 2.1

NedwannaB

Tire size check here

Quote Originally Posted by twyeld View Post
    ...not sure about the revelation but I run a SID on my XC with a neo-moto 2.1 up front and recently went OTBs when I got a 5mm piece of bark jammed in between the tyre and the bridge (about 2mm clearance). It didn't happen again on that day. The neo-moto is a higher profile to what I run now - fireXC 2.1 (this provides about 10mm clearance).
    Seems by all acounts from what I've seen on different threads the IRC is the smallest (hieght/casing). So if I'm reading this right, and doing a little simple math, you're saying they are about 8mm smaller then the 2.1 Neo. Is that right? Looking to get one of these maybe for the back of my 26" fs to give me a little more room then what I'm getting with the 2.1 Nev/Neo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelliman View Post
    I have the 2012 Giant Reign 2. It has the Fox 32 Float 150mm and I have the 650b clearing the fork quite well.

The set up is No Tubes Flox EX with a Vee Rubber Mission 650b X 2.1
    whos selling a good selection of 650b's, right now im running a high roller on the rear and a Minion up front. Ideally i would like to keep with someone as aggressive, but i dont think they would clear.

Im looking at the ZTR wheelsets, just trying to find/figure out a tread thats going to work. The only tread i have found in 650 that i kinda like is the kenda nevegal.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A new fork is cheaper than a new bike. Especially with the end of year closeouts going on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    A new fork is cheaper than a new bike. Especially with the end of year closeouts going on.
    This is what i keep coming back too, takes so stress out of it and gives me more options. But at the same time its still a new fork, and a quick way to turn a 750$ upgrade into a $1200-1500 upgrade.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Seems by all acounts from what I've seen on different threads the IRC is the smallest (hieght/casing). So if I'm reading this right, and doing a little simple math, you're saying they are about 8mm smaller then the 2.1 Neo. Is that right? Looking to get one of these maybe for the back of my 26" fs to give me a little more room then what I'm getting with the 2.1 Nev/Neo.
    ...that's right. Note that I am running these tyres on Stan's Crest rims at ~22psi...

The fireXC is a low profile tyre but it has plenty of bite - great up front for XC race - maybe too gnarly for out back?

I have just taken delivery of some 2.1 exc x-marks (500-520gms real weight!). They also measure up the same as the fireXC, which are the same as the v-rubber mission 2.1. But the x-marks are pretty toothy for a low profile tyre. I haven't ridden the 650b version yet but they were my go-to tyre when i ran 26" wheels. I'll be running these front and back this session...

Last edited by twyeld; 12-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Subscribed.....I too want to know if a 650b will work on a revelation (2011) bit still haven't seen any pics to convince me one way or the other once and for all.

-S

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Subscribed.....I too want to know if a 650b will work on a revelation (2011) bit still haven't seen any pics to convince me one way or the other once and for all.

-S

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    I think the Rev fork uses the same lowers as the Sektor? I easily fit a 650B Stans flow in the Sektor on my trance with about 15mm clearance on a fireXC...

NedwannaB

Really....

...that's right. Note that I am running these tyres on Stan's Crest rims at ~22psi...

The fireXC is a low profile tyre but it has plenty of bite - great up front for XC race - maybe too gnarly for out back?

I have just taken delivery of some 2.1 exc x-marks (500-520gms real weght!). They also measure up the same as the fireXC, which are the same as the v-rubber mission 2.1. But the x-marks are pretty toothy for a low profile tyre. I haven't ridden the 650b version yet but they were more go-to tyre when i ran 26" wheels. I'll be running these front and back this session...

Interesting. I was looking at the XMarx as well fir my xc bike. Surprised in your comparison in size to Fire xc. They appear to be a bigger volume. I dont need much with my weight and riding style. Maybe this will be a back tire on the fs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm looking forward to Vee Rubber's new 650b line up for 2013. They have a bunch coming.

650B Palace: Big Tire News Bulletin

banned
    Sep 2012
    I think the Rev fork uses the same lowers as the Sektor? I easily fit a 650B Stans flow in the Sektor on my trance with about 15mm clearance on a fireXC...
    I'm guessing they are probably the same, but not sure what year yours is. Apparently older ones do work and the newer ones don't.

You know what would help... if we can put together a template for a "typical" 650B wheel/tire cross section and make it a PDF.....anyone can then download the PDF and make a cutout for a quick test.

-S

mtbr member
    Pics?

I am contemplating going to the sektor. I will, however, need to confirm it will fit some of the larger 650b tires coming soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'd like to see some pics also!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I cannot check the revelation myself as mine is a 15QR axle and all my 650B wheels are 9QR axles. But straight tape measure measuring puts it as "close". There's barely enough brace clearance with a Neo-Moto 2.3 and the crown clearance is below tolerances also. It'd be another case of a piece of bark on the tire = endo.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 1