mtbr member

26 to 96er conversion kona project II 26" fork

Would a 29" wheel and tire fit a kona project II 26" fork?

Woul the v-brake mounts work on a 29er rim brake wheel?

Where can i get a 29er rim brake wheel?
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

P2....

Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Would a 29" wheel and tire fit a kona project II 26" fork?
    Kona P2 both disc & Canti have a very short A-C @ 410. You'd have a very difficult time fitting a 29" tire in there

Woul the v-brake mounts work on a 29er rim brake wheel?
    In a word No. Not with 26 fork & 29 wheel, unless you have some custom linear pull brake or something
    Where can i get a 29er rim brake wheel?
    Try your LBS, they should either be able to build you one, or order you one. If you don't like human interaction try here

Exclusively Single
    29" won't fit in a 26" P2. Tried it with a Bonty XR 2.2, no go. Also, can't use 26" brake mounts for a 700c (29er) wheel.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005
    The axle to crown measurement on the Surly 1x1 fork is similar to the Kona P2, so if the bike handles well with one fork the other should also be OK.

But the Surly crown is much wider, so you can (JUST) fit something like a 50mm WTB 29re tyre.

RE. rim brakes: See previous posts.

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dave
    The axle to crown measurement on the Surly 1x1 fork is similar to the Kona P2, so if the bike handles well with one fork the other should also be OK.

But the Surly crown is much wider, so you can (JUST) fit something like a 50mm WTB 29re tyre.

RE. rim brakes: See previous posts.
    True, not much difference between the two as far as A-C, but the Surly fork has much more clearance. I've tried it on both and the P2 wouldn't fit a Bonty 2.2, and when I say that I don't mean it fit but with very little clearance, it just wouldn't fit. Whereas the 1x1 fork actually fit a 2.35 Rampage, albeit with very little clearance. I too figured that surely a 29" would fit the P2 since the A-C is only a few mm shorter than the 1x1, but alas it did not. The P2 would probably barely clear a smaller 29" like an Ignitor or any of the other >2.0 offerings.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by long hazy daze
    True, not much difference between the two as far as A-C, but the Surly fork has much more clearance. I've tried it on both and the P2 wouldn't fit a Bonty 2.2, and when I say that I don't mean it fit but with very little clearance, it just wouldn't fit. Whereas the 1x1 fork actually fit a 2.35 Rampage, albeit with very little clearance. I too figured that surely a 29" would fit the P2 since the A-C is only a few mm shorter than the 1x1, but alas it did not. The P2 would probably barely clear a smaller 29" like an Ignitor or any of the other >2.0 offerings.
    IIRC my P2s would clear a 700C "touring" tyre (around 32c to 38c???) but that's about it.
    No "proper" 29er tyres at all.

As LHD found, when slotting in a 700C wheel, the 29er tyre will hit the fork arch on the P2 before the axle gets anywhere near the fork dropout.

mtbr member
    I just converted my Kona Explosif to a six niner with a Voodoo rigid fork. It has removable rim brake bosses that can be set for either 26’ or 29’ wheels. I am using a loner wheel now but planning on having a new wheel built with Alex rim brake hoops. The fork also has disc mounts if you want to go that way.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005

Update:

Centerridgerider posted pics of his Humu Deluxe with an Exiwolf 29er tyre up front.

It uses the heavier duty "jump" version of the Project 2 fork.
    Clearance looks tight but do-able.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=359465

Hope that helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0