mtbr member
    May 2018

2019 vs 2018 Roscoe 8

How's going everyone. I'm in the market for a new HT and pretty much came to the conclusion. My budget was roughly 1500.

First I would like all to disregard the rear hub issues, I see it as a non issue. I'm just trailblazing, exploring so the 141 is fine and I know if I want, I can put on 29ers.

My question, if the budget is 1500 and with the current sale, should I just jump on the 2019 Roscoe 8 or is the 1x12 not worth the $? Other reason I would wait is because I really like the color of the 2019 more over the 2018, though I like both.

I test rode the 2018 and it felt great.

Also, only LBS I have are Fuji, Trek, Specialized, Scott, and Santa Cruz. Did I make a good choice with the Roscoe?

Thanks ALL!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel3246 View Post
    How's going everyone. I'm in the market for a new HT and pretty much came to the conclusion. My budget was roughly 1500.

First I would like all to disregard the rear hub issues, I see it as a non issue. I'm just trailblazing, exploring so the 141 is fine and I know if I want, I can put on 29ers.

My question, if the budget is 1500 and with the current sale, should I just jump on the 2019 Roscoe 8 or is the 1x12 not worth the $? Other reason I would wait is because I really like the color of the 2019 more over the 2018, though I like both.

I test rode the 2018 and it felt great.

Also, only LBS I have are Fuji, Trek, Specialized, Scott, and Santa Cruz. Did I make a good choice with the Roscoe?

Thanks ALL!
    First, I know you said just ignore it, however... As an owner of a 2018 Roscoe 8, you nailed it right on the head. The 141mm rear hub is a non-issue! Just as an FYI.... I found a set of replacement wheels without issue... Just by choosing a company that uses swapable QR endcaps. So don't let that impact your choice... There are plenty of options when it comes to that.

Second, I have ridden both the 2019 and 2018 Roscoe 8, and to be honest... If you can afford the extra few bucks... then go for the 2019. The slightly improved fork and NX 12 speed would be nice to have. However, that's just it... They are only "nice to haves" and not that much of a gmae changer!

But, if the difference in price between the 2018 and 2019 is a stretch for you... Then go for the 2018 and save the difference for some future upgraded of your choosing.

I honestly could barley tell the difference between the two bikes. The new NX 12 speed is not that far off from the NX 11 speed.
    Unless you have medical issues that would benefit from you having the extra range... I would say the difference in price is not worth it the 50t cog.

And the differences between the RS Judy silver and gold are mostly asthetics. I could barely tell them apart.

My suggestion would be... Buy the 2018 Roscoe 8 and wait for an end of season sale on Jenson. Then use the money you saved to upgrade the brakes, wheelset, and fork. Granted to do all that... Will be more then the price difference between the two bikes... however, the new components will be your choice.

That's what I did... I bought a Fox34 fork, some Shimano Deore M6000 brakes, and a set of Stan's No tubes barons... And the bike came alive!

The 11speed NX drivetrain was more than enough for me.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 20mmrain View Post
    First, I know you said just ignore it, however... As an owner of a 2018 Roscoe 8, you nailed it right on the head. The 141mm rear hub is a non-issue! Just as an FYI.... I found a set of replacement wheels without issue... Just by choosing a company that uses swapable QR endcaps. So don't let that impact your choice... There are plenty of options when it comes to that.

Second, I have ridden both the 2019 and 2018 Roscoe 8, and to be honest... If you can afford the extra few bucks... then go for the 2019. The slightly improved fork and NX 12 speed would be nice to have. However, that's just it... They are only "nice to haves" and not that much of a gmae changer!

But, if the difference in price between the 2018 and 2019 is a stretch for you... Then go for the 2018 and save the difference for some future upgraded of your choosing.

I honestly could barley tell the difference between the two bikes. The new NX 12 speed is not that far off from the NX 11 speed.
    Unless you have medical issues that would benefit from you having the extra range... I would say the difference in price is not worth it the 50t cog.

And the differences between the RS Judy silver and gold are mostly asthetics. I could barely tell them apart.

My suggestion would be... Buy the 2018 Roscoe 8 and wait for an end of season sale on Jenson. Then use the money you saved to upgrade the brakes, wheelset, and fork. Granted to do all that... Will be more then the price difference between the two bikes... however, the new components will be your choice.

That's what I did... I bought a Fox34 fork, some Shimano Deore M6000 brakes, and a set of Stan's No tubes barons... And the bike came alive!

Alright cool, thank you for the response. I think would greatly benefit from the 1x12. I had double video assisted thorocoscopic surgery this winter, one on each lung. I'm actually lucky to be here. I own a 3x8, borrowed a 2x10, and think for me personally a 1x12 would be ticket.

I felt far less over worked as I moved from my drive to the borrowed drive. I was more concerned with the 2019 still being a bang for your buck. I did love the demo of the 2018 hence why I thought just wait, save up the extra 200 and buy the 2019.

I was planning on in the end of a 1x12 upgrade, that was when I figured I'd just get the 2019. Loving the color a bit more over the bright orange too.

I hadn't realized the forks were also different either.

Curious, what site or company is that? Do they already sell 29er wheels on the appropriate hubs? That's the other thing I wanted to do, love the idea of wheel choice with the Roscoe.

And what would the max tire width of the each size be?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel3246 View Post
    Alright cool, thank you for the response. I think would greatly benefit from the 1x12. I had double video assisted thorocoscopic surgery this winter, one on each lung. I'm actually lucky to be here. I own a 3x8, borrowed a 2x10, and think for me personally a 1x12 would be ticket.

I felt far less over worked as I moved from my drive to the borrowed drive. I was more concerned with the 2019 still being a bang for your buck. I did love the demo of the 2018 hence why I thought just wait, save up the extra 200 and buy the 2019.

I was planning on in the end of a 1x12 upgrade, that was when I figured I'd just get the 2019. Loving the color a bit more over the bright orange too.

I hadn't realized the forks were also different either.

Curious, what site or company is that? Do they already sell 29er wheels on the appropriate hubs? That's the other thing I wanted to do, love the idea of wheel choice with the Roscoe.

And what would the max tire width of the each size be?

Thank you!
    Well I'm glad to hear you are still here! Sorry to hear about your surgery. In your case I would definitely agree with you that the 2019 Roscoe is the way to go! Just a reminder that the new NX 12 speed does Not have a 500% gear range like the GX or XO versions do. It's because it uses standard Shimano hub body and the cassette does not have a 10t cog. But it does have the 50t cog, which sounds like you will benefit from.

Yes the forks are different... The 2018 has the silver version of the Judy and the 2019 has the gold version. I can't remember the exact differences (except I remember the gold has black stantions, which looks way better!). I also think it has a better negative chamber but don't quote me on that.

As for the wheels... Go to Stan's No tubes website. Look for the Baron S1's or Baron MK3's depending on your price range.

Wheelset...(note link in blank spot below)
    https://www.notubes.com/baron-s1-wheelset

End cap converstion to 141mm...
    (note it says 135mm but it will work for 148 to 141 as well.)
    (note link in blank spot below)
    https://www.notubes.com/kit-neo-end-...r-10x135-qr-cl

There are many other wheelsets out there besides this one that have end caps that will convert 148 to 141.

As for Max tire size. I would say you could do a small 3.2 safely (depending on the tire) However, I went down from 2.8 to 2.6 because I wanted stronger sidewalls.

But before I did that I fit 3.0 safely in my bike with room to spare.

Let me know if you have any other questions bud.
    Last edited by 20mmrain; 08-05-2018 at 04:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Just confirming that the 2018 has a new fork?
    Just looking on the website and it looks like the same one as last year's model.
    I am also looking at this bike, very close to putting one on order. I'm also considering the scott scale 720 but not sure I can justify the extra $900 AU

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondy View Post
    Just confirming that the 2018 has a new fork?
    Just looking on the website and it looks like the same one as last year's model.
    I am also looking at this bike, very close to putting one on order. I'm also considering the scott scale 720 but not sure I can justify the extra $900 AU
    Looks like you are right buddy... I made the assumption without confirming. The 2018 version of the silver Judy had silver stantions and the gold had black stantions. When I looked at the 2019 Roscoe and saw the black stantions I assumed they upgraded to the gold Judy. According to treks spec, I assumed wrong.

However, is there any difference between the 2018 & 2019 Judy besides color of the stantions?... I don't know... I would have to investigate that a little.

Sorry for the confusion. But even if they did upgrade the fork (silver vs gold) like I said in my original post... The difference was so minimal, it wasn't that big of a deal anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thats ok, I am still researching and was just after some clarification. I'm trying to buy my first proper mtb and am finding it so hard to decipher all of the linger and info.

There is just a couple of things that are holding me back from buying a roscoe, the head angle (is this too steep for a trail, and can you put 29er wheels on it).

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondy View Post
    Thats ok, I am still researching and was just after some clarification. I'm trying to buy my first proper mtb and am finding it so hard to decipher all of the linger and info.

There is just a couple of things that are holding me back from buying a roscoe, the head angle (is this too steep for a trail, and can you put 29er wheels on it).
    I don't feel the head angle is to steep. This is coming from the. A guy who's other bike is a full suspension intense... With a 66 degree head angle.

I can definitely tell the difference between riding the two... But not in a negative way... Just different.

In terms of putting 29" wheels on a Roscoe. I don't know if you can... But I would assume you might be able to. There is a button load of clearneance and remember... It shares the same frame as the xcaliber... And I thought they had a 29" version of that. (Look that up I could be remembering that wrong)

Honestly, I don't think you would be disappointed if you chose the Roscoe. I know I wasn't.

The biggest downfall In my opinion for the Roscoe is the bottom bracket. Trek choosing to use a internal bb keeps upgrading your cranks a little limted unless you upgrade the bb to.

mtbr member
    I do not believe you can run 29's on the Roscoe. I can't confirm I've tried, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it won't work with 29's for some reason.

I upgraded to a 130mm fork so it slightly slackened the geometry by maybe half a degree, but it bombs downhill in my opinion! No issues with stability, it rocks!
    My Noob MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogy View Post
    I do not believe you can run 29's on the Roscoe. I can't confirm I've tried, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it won't work with 29's for some reason.

I upgraded to a 130mm fork so it slightly slackened the geometry by maybe half a degree, but it bombs downhill in my opinion! No issues with stability, it rocks!
    I have never tried to upgrade it either however, as I said knowing that the X-Caliber and the Roscoe share the same frame... And that the Roscoe uses 27.5 plus (which is almost the same circumference as 29") I find it hard to believe that you can't.

Now... That doesn't mean it would be cheap and if that is the problem well then yes... You couldn't upgrade.

I could be wrong... But like I said... Check it out. Go look at the X-Caliber specs.

mtbr member
    May 2018

Hey, just wondering about your wheel set upgrade. Is that the Barons S1? And did you just purchase the conversion kit to make it to QR? Lastly, did you get Boost Sram Freehub? Sorry for all the noob questions, I just want to make sure before chucking in money for this. I'm interested in upgrading to these same ones as well. TIA!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by therealthanos View Post
    Hey, just wondering about your wheel set upgrade. Is that the Barons S1? And did you just purchase the conversion kit to make it to QR? Lastly, did you get Boost Sram Freehub? Sorry for all the noob questions, I just want to make sure before chucking in money for this. I'm interested in upgrading to these same ones as well. TIA!
    Sorry, I should have read the entire forum before asking. The answer was already here to begin with. Thank you for pointing the way for some of us looking to upgrade the wheel sets on the Roscoe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by therealthanos View Post
    Sorry, I should have read the entire forum before asking. The answer was already here to begin with. Thank you for pointing the way for some of us looking to upgrade the wheel sets on the Roscoe.
    For NX 11 speed & 12 speed a new driver is not needed. You can use the standard Shimano hub.
    However for GX and above you need a new driver

For Shimano drivetrain slx -xtr 10 and 11speed no new driver is needed either.

And yes, all I did was buy the Baron S1's and bought the 142 ta to 135 qr end cap adapters and it will convert your 148 ta axels to 141 qr standard.

Good luck bud

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Which fork did you go with? I am considering upgrading my Judy as well

Thanks

mtbr member
    Fox Rhythm 34
    My Noob MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Fox Rhythm 34
    I also went with that fork as well. Stayed at 120mm but that fork responds much better than the Judy IMO

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The only one that would work would be the 130mm fork.

The others are 170 & 150 which would slacken the bike way too much and put too much stress on the frame.

130mm should be fine... But remember this bike was originally designed for a 100mm fork (the xcaliber) and trek tested it to be stable with a 120mm fork. So 130mm is only 10mm more...and it should be fine... But just keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    so, I did order the 130mm, (the middle link above) question: do I need to worry about the 2.8 tire?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The only one that would work would be the 130mm fork.

The others are 170 & 150 which would slacken the bike way too much and put too much stress on the frame.g

130mm should be fine... But remember this bike was originally designed for a 100mm fork (the xcaliber) and trek tested it to be stable with a 120mm fork. So 130mm is only 10mm more...and it should be fine... But just keep that in mind.

So, the place i ordered the Fox fork from (the pros closet) say the 2.8 tire will fit. But here is some interesting info: the Fox fork with 130mm travel is 525mm axel to crown and the Judy with 120mm travel is 530mm axel to crown