2019 Diamondback Mason 2 - best Specs at discounted price point of 1200?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Idea! 2019 Diamondback Mason 2 - best Specs at discounted price point of 1200?

Hi All! Looking for your opinions regarding the 2019 Mason 2 from Diamondback. With my Bank of America discount, I can get this bike for 1200 out the door. Can I do any better for this price point or should I go for it? Link to bike with specs is below. My requirements are 27.5 plus tires with dropper post, aggressive trail geometry, NX11 or Shimano SLX components, hydrolic breaks and a trail worthy fork.

https://www.diamondback.com/mason-2-d42

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This question is probably better suited to the "plus" forum, but it looks like a decent bike. The wheels, tires and dropper post are going to be heavy, and I would bet this bike weighs nearly 36 pounds. You are not really saving all that much on it, but if price is the only consideration, it might work for you. Is this going to be an addition to your stable, or is this a first bike since college bike?
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for the reply. This will be my only bike so I’m looking for something that is going to take a beating and handle any trail I throw at it. The weight issue is a concern and I would hesitate if the true weight was over 31 lbs for size medium. Not sure the exact weight but i will be going tubeless and removing reflectors. I also want to do a little bike packing. Another bike I have my eye on is the Diamondback Syncr. Link below. A little cheaper but Rockshox Recon rl with 140mm travel. No dropper post tho

https://www.diamondback.com/syncr-d42

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For perspective, my Santa Cruz Chameleon with Fox fork and dropper, tubeless with light(er)weight tires and a few carbon bits is just under 29 pounds. Getting rid of the dropper post and tubes on the first bike may get you down to 32 or 33 pounds. It's really hard to tell because mfg's either underestimate the weights or don't list them at all.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    This question is probably better suited to the "plus" forum, but it looks like a decent bike. The wheels, tires and dropper post are going to be heavy, and I would bet this bike weighs nearly 36 pounds. You are not really saving all that much on it, but if price is the only consideration, it might work for you. Is this going to be an addition to your stable, or is this a first bike since college bike?

The stated weight is just under 29 lbs, he should for sure weigh it before buying. I have a hardtail I upgraded to a pretty similar level and it's 34.4 lbs. But the real question is, will he have fun with this bike and the answer is yes!!! This would be a great solo all-around bike (he may want to get a narrow wheelset for pavement if he is doing that on the side; a gazillion 19-23mm wheelsets out there for dirt cheap). However, I admit I'm not a big SRAM fan and this is an SRAM bike through and through. For climbing, the granny gear is a not quite optimal 0.71 on a 30 / 42 setup so he may need to up the cassette to 11-46. And maybe the brakes, other than that it looks like a solid buy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    The stated weight is just under 29 lbs, he should for sure weigh it before buying. I have a hardtail I upgraded to a pretty similar level and it's 34.4 lbs. But the real question is, will he have fun with this bike and the answer is yes!!! This would be a great solo all-around bike (he may want to get a narrow wheelset for pavement if he is doing that on the side; a gazillion 19-23mm wheelsets out there for dirt cheap). However, I admit I'm not a big SRAM fan and this is an SRAM bike through and through. For climbing, the granny gear is a not quite optimal 0.71 on a 30 / 42 setup so he may need to up the cassette to 11-46. And maybe the brakes, other than that it looks like a solid buy.
    My LBS talked to me about SRAM NX issues (he has had to replace several that failed) and I decided to buy a bike with a Shimano SLX setup. The link below is what I ended up purchasing. https://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2018-k...xfifty-600-18/

This is more XC bike than trail bike..... especially due to the fork and longer stem. I went this route because we have more flowing single tracks with technical elements and rock gardens but not a lot of large jumps or downhill. As my skills grow, I can upgrade with trail specific parts such as a short stem, wider handlebar and fork with 130 - 150 mm travel. He sold it to me for $1175.00 plus they assemble and dial it in for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just saw this post, but I've had a Mason 2 since April and love it. It's definitely not the lightest bike around, but to be honest the bike is a freaking tank. It literally plows over everything I've been on with no problems. Some people might think this is too high, but I have the best feeling on the bike at 28psi on the tires. I feel like with the 2.8 inch plus size tires when you go down too low in pressure the tires feel like they're wallowing around on the rims. It's a weird feeling, like in flatter corners it feels almost like you're bike is about to slip out but it's the tires moving back and forth on the rim. At 28psi I havent had a single issue in turns, plowing over large roots and rocks, it just seriously doesnt care what's in front of it. I say go for it, you'll be impressed for sure!