mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Cool-blue Rhythm 2018 Santa Cruz 5010 Advise!

This is my first post and need advise.

My Jan 2018 Santa Cruz 5010 AL developed cracks on the rear wheel. I am a 51 old rider who upgraded from a Gary Fisher suspended 26 inch wheel bike. Never had any wheel problems on the 26 and now my new 27.5 has cracks around the spokes. I weigh in with gear say at 225 lbs. Do you think I was just unlucky. Are the 27.5 wheels weaker in design( would think they would be stronger). I think the bike shop is working with WTB on the repair and I hope to be covered. Just bummed in general. It says on the WTB site it can take 2 months to resolve. I am a good guy but kind of feel slighted. Maybe just venting!

The 5010 is 100% more fun to ride than the old Gary Fisher but I guess the old bike was a tank!

James

mtbr member
    Sometimes defects happen. See if your shop might have a loaner wheel, until you get your replacement.

mtbr member
    Cracks around the spoke holes often means an improperly built wheel rather than a faulty rim. (it could be the rim was faulty, but WTB rims have a pretty good reputation.) 27.5" rims may be a teeny bit weaker than 26" due to the larger diameter but not in a way that would contribute to cracked rims I wouldn't think. More along the lines of slightly more flex and being just a smidgeon easier to knock out of true. But a properly built wheel made of quality components appropriate to the wheel's intended use will be reliable in any diameter. Anyway, if you don't want to wait for the warranty wheels to grind out a solution, just have the shop order the same model rim that you have and they can just replace the damaged one and build the wheel correctly. (if spokes are damaged too they may need to replace at least some)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the help.

I am going to give them until Monday for a response. I started looking and the DT Swiss wheels and they look good on initial pass. I am not an expert and will need to research this issue. In my opinion the spokes were to tight. I need to learn how to post pictures on the forum. It does look like WTB had a similar problem a few years ago as the pictures look the same. I hope WTB and Santa Cruz stand by the product. I don't feel in any way the bike was abused and they have the bike to review. I am lucky it did not fail while I was going down a hill at 20+ MPH. Word of advise to other people is pay attention to the wheels. The cracks were hard to see and between the tape and Stans I was holding air. It was going out of alignment and the technician caught it on the jig. Lucky he was good!

James

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Cracks around the spoke holes often means an improperly built wheel rather than a faulty rim.
    That is correct. I had a similar issue and had to have the wheel rebuilt. No more problems after that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadtexas View Post
    Word of advise to other people is pay attention to the wheels.
    Thanks for the heads-up. My wife just bought a Juliana Furtado (women's version of the 5010) with WTB rims so we'll be keeping an eye on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My old WTB rims were tank proof. Probably just a bad build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Update:

WTB is going to send parts to my bike shop for repair under warranty! So it's less than 7 days to get it cleared up. They will send tracking number when parts are shipped.

Thanks,
    James

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Glad to hear it's being taken care of. Enjoy that bike! I wanted one, but never got it.
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Latest from bike shop is that parts will ship from WTB on Sep 28. It does seem that 27.5 parts are much harder to come by than 29 or 26. The bike shop thought maybe 60 days for repair and it looks like 45 days if I am lucky!!! I am glad that I did not sell my old bike! I did also have friends offer loaner bikes so that was nice! At the same time they bust on me for not buying a big bike brand.

James

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    No surprise calls from the bike shop that my repair parts have been sent! Looks like they are standing by the Sep 28 ship date. The bad thing with taking so long is it gives me time to search the internet. It is not cool that people get replacement SC frames sent in 3-4 days and I wait weeks for a bike wheel part!!!! How can a frame be in stock and not wheels!!!!!!! I am starting to feel like I made a bad purchase!!! My plan is to head up to the bike shop and really inspect the front wheel. Do you think it's fair to have them break down the front wheel so we can look from the inside? Thoughts?

James

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I received a call today and the bike is repaired and ready to go!!!!!! This makes me very happy!!!!

James

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadtexas View Post
    I received a call today and the bike is repaired and ready to go!!!!!! This makes me very happy!!!!

James
    4 week followup please!👍😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the updates. Like others said, bad builds can happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Update: All good with the rebuild on the rear wheel! The 5010 continues to impress me. It was good to get back on the bike and hit some trails.

James

mtbr member
    Glad to hear things got worked out for you.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk