2017 Nukeproof Mega - Custom build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017 Nukeproof Mega - Custom build

A bit late with this one - thought I had posted it previously.....

After I sold my 2014 Mega TR last year I decided I wanted a newer Mega.

So March last year (2019) I managed to pick up a NOS 2017 Nukeproof Mega 275 for a decent price - and in the best colour - black/yellow.

Also picked up some 160mm Yari's in the CRC sale, and bagged a pair of new Nukeproof Neutron wheels on the CRC eBay store for 100.

A bit more shopping and I got an 11 speed XT groupset with 11-46 cassette and a 30t oval Works components ring, OneUp 170mm dropper, Michelin Wild Enduro tyres, Sam Hill 780 bars, Charge Spoon saddle and SLX M675 brakes.

The build got delayed until July as I had dislocated my thumb and damaged the ligaments - so couldn't use any tools for a while.

Finally got it all sorted and together for July 19.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I rode it in this spec for a few months and decided that as the bike was faster and more capable than I was it needed better brakes........

So I picked up a pair of Saint brakes - those should work better

I also wasn't too blow away with the forks - they had the Solo Air spring and Motion Control damper, managed to pick up a 170mm Debonair spring and Charger 2.1 RC2 damper in the black Friday sales for a ridiculously good price (my Yari 'ultimate' cost a fraction of the price of a similar spec Lyrik).

I got all these fitted by the LBS as I wasn't confident with doing the forks - and the added bonus of having them sorted by an ex World Cup mechanic.

Last edited by dirkpitt74; 06-07-2020 at 02:14 AM.

mtbr member
    The last round of upgrades happened around the start of lockdown - so not had many hours on the bike.

When I originally built it I went for 25mm rise bars - I wasn't getting on with these as the front felt too low and I was getting hand pain. These were swapped to another set of Sam Hill 780's but 38mm rise the same as I have on my Nukeproof Scout.

The final upgrade (is there ever a final upgrade???) was the wheels - nothing massively wrong with the Neutrons but they were budget and I wanted something more in keeping with the rest of the quality. I flipped between ordering Hope Fortus 35's or Hunt Trail Wide - I settled on the Hunts and managed to bag a pair of there ex display wheels for about 30% off - I again paired these with the Michelin Wild Enduro's.

Have been really impressed with the quality of the Hunt wheels - bang in the quoted weights and very well built.

The Neutrons have been swapped to my Nukeproof Scout to replace the 26mm wide Superstar wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Damn!! That's sexy! Nice build!