2017 Giant Stance 2 loose crank and broken thumb shift- Mtbr.com
    Super-Noob

2017 Giant Stance 2 loose crank and broken thumb shift

Well, I let my daughter take out my bike when her friends were over the other day. They went for a cruise at the beach and it appears she took the bike through some saltwater due to some rust. The crank is now loose and there is also a broken thumb shifter. My question is, how do i repair the loose crank its an FSA 24/38? The bottom bracket is a FSA Press Fit. The shifter is Shimano Alivio. Also, what else should I service after the salt water bath?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Giant Stance 2 loose crank and broken thumb shift-vbhwen2drda422htouye5q.jpg  

2017 Giant Stance 2 loose crank and broken thumb shift-xvgf0inwql6iy55ic-74uq.jpg  

2017 Giant Stance 2

Less yap more braaap
    How do you mean the crank is loose? Is there play in the crank somehow? Like its coming from the bottom bracket?

I'd probably take apart the whole drivetrain, hit it with some APC or degreaser, wipe down, then regrease/lube everything that you can. I'd definitely go with a new BB though.

Should be able to go with a Shimano standard 68/73mm BB for 24mm spindle then redo the cranks and see if that eliminates any play.

If you're looking for an upgrade might be worth it to pickup a Deore 10 speed drivetrain (rear shifter, Shadow+ derailleur, cassette, and some cable housing/new cable (you'd want to replace the cable anyways) and you're set).

You can go 1x10 (30t front and 11-40 in the rear) since the thumb shifter is so mangled and you'd need to replace it anyways. You don't really lose too much low end and while you'll lose some speed on the top end it will make the cockpit more simple and cleaner.

While you're at it take a look at the hubs for play as well. I'm 99% sure they're cartridge bearings but if they're cup and cone then you're in luck and it's a relatively simple affair to toss in some new bearings for peace of mind and repack with grease.

Super-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
    How do you mean the crank is loose? Is there play in the crank somehow? Like its coming from the bottom bracket?

I'd probably take apart the whole drivetrain, hit it with some APC or degreaser, wipe down, then regrease/lube everything that you can. I'd definitely go with a new BB though.

Should be able to go with a Shimano standard 68/73mm BB for 24mm spindle then redo the cranks and see if that eliminates any play.

If you're looking for an upgrade might be worth it to pickup a Deore 10 speed drivetrain (rear shifter, Shadow+ derailleur, cassette, and some cable housing/new cable (you'd want to replace the cable anyways) and you're set).

You can go 1x10 (30t front and 11-40 in the rear) since the thumb shifter is so mangled and you'd need to replace it anyways. You don't really lose too much low end and while you'll lose some speed on the top end it will make the cockpit more simple and cleaner.

While you're at it take a look at the hubs for play as well. I'm 99% sure they're cartridge bearings but if they're cup and cone then you're in luck and it's a relatively simple affair to toss in some ne w bearings for peace of mind and repack with grease.

I was able to tighten the crank back down. It had loosened up from the other crank but seemed to be ok. I will take it back down and give it good cleaning. I will probably do the upgrade if Im gonna do the work anyway! Thanks for the help.
    2017 Giant Stance 2

Less yap more braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by SidTheKid View Post
    I was able to tighten the crank back down. It had loosened up from the other crank but seemed to be ok.
    In that case it's fine, though I'd probably hit the crank screw with some Loctite Blue (242 or 243).

Probably don't need to replace the BB at this point but still wipe it down with some light APC (Simple green in a 20:1 or 30:1 dilution). Grease the crank axle then hit the screw with Loctite Blue.

That's going to be a new chain for sure though.

mtbr member
    You need to change your chain man, and by the looks of it cassete and chainring should be dead too. They don't least forever

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk