2016 trek slash 9.8 vs 2016/2017 bronson c s kit vs 2016 intense tracer 275alloy exp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

2016 trek slash 9.8 vs 2016/2017 bronson c s kit vs 2016 intense tracer 275alloy exp

Ok guys i got this big decision coming, base on ur experience or own knowledge, which bike would u choose, i know i have to test ride it first and see what it feels like etc, but just for u to choose between these 3 bikes what is it and why, thank you!!! *try considering budget too lol

2016 trek slash 9.8- $3500
    2017 SC bronson c s- $4500
    2016 intense tracer 275alloy expert- $3600-3700

mtbr member
    I would go with the Slash. The Full Floater suspension with the Monarch is very smooth. I think it does a better job with the small bumps/trail chatter than the VPP. Killer bike.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The only way you're going to get useful help if by posting your riding geography, experience and what you're looking for in a bike. Otherwise, you get a bunch of strangers just posting whatever their personal favorite is; that may or may not have any bearing on your situation.

I live and ride in Phoenix, so big tech, fast, open, rock riding. If you live somewhere smoother or flowy or less tech, the bike you choose will be completely different.

That said, I do own a '17 Bronson C S; I think it's one of the best-spec'd bikes on the market in that price range. I really, really like this bike and the new VPP is more plush and better mid stroke support than earlier iterations.

I haven't owned a Slash, but I did own a '16 Fuel EX. Many folks seem to like it. I can tell you, riding here, it was one of the worst bikes I've ever owned. Using compression switches on the shock was mandatory as the bike was nearly unrideable in open.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    never had a bronson but i did have a 2016 slash with monarch plus. suspension was just out of this world. it literally just dissapears under you
    first you get good, than you get fast

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    never had a bronson but i did have a 2016 slash with monarch plus. suspension was just out of this world. it literally just dissapears under you
    Is that a bad thing or a good thing? Sorry

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    The only way you're going to get useful help if by posting your riding geography, experience and what you're looking for in a bike. Otherwise, you get a bunch of strangers just posting whatever their personal favorite is; that may or may not have any bearing on your situation.

I live and ride in Phoenix, so big tech, fast, open, rock riding. If you live somewhere smoother or flowy or less tech, the bike you choose will be completely different.

That said, I do own a '17 Bronson C S; I think it's one of the best-spec'd bikes on the market in that price range. I really, really like this bike and the new VPP is more plush and better mid stroke support than earlier iterations.

I haven't owned a Slash, but I did own a '16 Fuel EX. Many folks seem to like it. I can tell you, riding here, it was one of the worst bikes I've ever owned. Using compression switches on the shock was mandatory as the bike was nearly unrideable in open.
    I lived in san diego and trails here can be varies, rocks, dirt etc, i go up in big bear too during spring and summer. Im going back and forth between slash and bronson, i like slash cuz its cheaper with good specs and eeverythin but i heard slash are so, so on the climbs, on the other hand the bronson, u can never get wrong with it i think, so the only thing that holding me back on bronson is the price. If bronson and slash perfroms the same or close to same then ill just go with the slash. I just wana get a bike and dont need to upgarade every single time, so basically i want a bike that will does it all kinda thing... Sorry

Trail Rider
    First of all, I'm a Santa Cruz guy, have a 5010 which I really like.

That being said, my third favorite bike (I've owned cannondale/specialized/other Santa Cuz)
    is the 2010 Trek Remedy 26er 150mm front and rear.
    It climbed surprisingly well.

I'd compare that '16 Slash to the Nomad. It has more travel (160mm f&r), slacker than the bronson.

It has (imo) better brakes than the Bronson, nicer wheels (Bontrager Maverick Pro) with fat 35mm rims.

It's a sick bike, geared towards crushing descents, and not hurting too much getting to the top. The price makes it a really good deal.

The Bronson is more of an all around long travel trail bike, and the third generation VPP is great.
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orville24 View Post
    Ok guys i got this big decision coming, base on ur experience or own knowledge, which bike would u choose, i know i have to test ride it first and see what it feels like etc, but just for u to choose between these 3 bikes what is it and why, thank you!!! *try considering budget too lol

2016 trek slash 9.8- $3500
    2017 SC bronson c s- $4500
    2016 intense tracer 275alloy expert- $3600-3700
    Between those.
    I'd pick the Tracer.
    Climbs just as good as the Slash but is more solid on the DH ( less flex)
    I have ridden both and would get the tracer.
    Unless you want a 29er the New slash seems to be it for a enduro 29er currently
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Trek Slash - is the most downhill oriented of the bikes you are looking at. If you have long sustained climbs, and tight trails not the best bike of the three. Worst climber, best descender of the three, but not by much. More comparable to a Nomad than Bronson. Not a "daily driver" unless you live near a bike park.

Bronson - best everyday bike, best warranty, best climber and 1st choice for all day riding. Boost wheels, so the bike technology is to date if you want new wheels in the future.

Tracer - Intense just release all new bikes with new suspension (Spider, ACV, Primer, Recluse), with one exception, the Tracer. Much like the Nomad, the tracer is up for a big update next year. If no boost is not a big deal, and you want something cheaper than Bronson, Tracer is a good option.

If I had only owned one bikes you listed it would be Bronson because it's the most versatile. Good bike park bike, excellent trail bike. Buy once cry once. If excellent bike park bike, ok trail bike Slash is the way to go. Tracer fits right between the other 2. No bad choices here though. Pick one and ride it.
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB6c
    Pivot 4SL
    Litespeed Ultimate Gravel
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX

mtbr member
    I'd say Bronson over all for specs and features but you could get a Carbon Tracer for below 3000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Not sure if you pulled the trigger yet.

But the answer should be the Bronson v2 all day everyday. Easily one of most capable do-it-all/quiver killer type of steeds around. The thing is a beast that is at home in pretty much any setting outside of the hairiest DH shit out there, but most of us aren't bombing that level of DH course. The thing is incredible. I have temporarily inherited one as a buddy as been shipped back out for assignment and I have been putting heavy mileage on it.

I'm in KC currently until I move back to the NE in the next few weeks. But in the handful of months that I've had his bike I got out to Crested Butte a few times (as well as some other CO destinations are they are "reasonably close" to me) and it shredded everything and was begging for me to push it and myself harder. I regularly took it down to Bentonville, just a few hours south of me, and the bike ate those trails systems like six year old digging into a bowl of cocoa puffs. As has been noted here and everywhere you can read anything about the updated Bronson the revised/updated VPP suspension is a very nice improvement that can definitely be immediately felt if you've ever rode an older VPP design.

Of the three bikes the Bronson and far and away the best all around bike of the bunch. As noted by others the Trek is definitely more "DH~ish" and the least "fun to pedal/climb with" though I never thought the one I demo'd was much of a beast to pedal/climb and it is a helluva bike in its own right. The Tracer is nice and with some of the closeouts may be a great choice just because of the steeply cut price point, but the Bronson, IMO, blows both bikes out of the water if you are purchasing it to be your on do it all bike. Whenever my buddy gets back I will be having a serious conversation with my wife about picking up my own, lol.

P.S. Also did get to take the Bronson to my "home turf trails" while visiting family in late summer early fall and had an absolute blast at Highland & Killington.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the answers/comment/suggestion and help guys, we finally got a winner! 2017 SC bronso C 👍👍😁😁, and yes, this bike definitely climbs! I remember with my superlight i had 30T chainring and 45 on the back to be able to climb certain uphills, but now i have 32T fron and 42t and i can climb whatever i could climb with my superlight! And downhill its more fun! The bike pushes you to try harder and harder lol, and the best part i got the bike for less than 4K 😁😁😁😁
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 trek slash 9.8 vs 2016/2017 bronson c s kit vs 2016 intense tracer 275alloy exp-image.jpg