• 02-27-2019
    ubermustang
    2015 Specialized Pitch w/ 26" wheel/tire combo????
    Hey guys...need some help here. My father commutes daily on an '08 26" Giant Rincon to and from work (approximately 8 miles total). He's 70 years old and works as a crossing guard.
    The other day while I was at his place helping him adjust his gears, I noticed a sizable crack on the weld where the downtube meets the headtube. Right now, he's borrowing my hardtail until I can replace his frame.

Yesterday I came across a men's Specialized Pitch Sport 650B frame
    (size small) in a local ad. The seller wants $30 for the frame.
    Now, I understand that the BB height will drop, but is there a way to approximate how much without actually buying the frame?

According to the geo of the Spesh with stock 27.5 wheel/tires, the BB height is 310mm. The BB height on my dad's Giant is currently 305mm, and that's with Kenda Nevegal 26x2.35 tires.

Thanks guys.
  • 02-27-2019
    MagicJade
    Looking at the Schwalbe Tech Support site you have:

For 27.5x2.3 the circumference of the tire is 2240 mm that gives 356.5 mm radius.
    For 26x2.3 the circumference of the tire is 2160 mm that gives 243.8 mm radius.

The difference is 12.7 mm. This estimation is for Schwalbe, so with some +/- you can assume similar for your wheel/tire combo.
  • 02-28-2019
    ubermustang
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicJade View Post
    Looking at the Schwalbe Tech Support site you have:

For 27.5x2.3 the circumference of the tire is 2240 mm that gives 356.5 mm radius.
    For 26x2.3 the circumference of the tire is 2160 mm that gives 243.8 mm radius.

The difference is 12.7 mm. This estimation is for Schwalbe, so with some +/- you can assume similar for your wheel/tire combo.

Much appreciated, MagicJade.

So, I might see a +/- .5" drop of the BB?

I did some more checking, and it looks like the 2015 Pitch came stock with Fast Trak Sport 650b x 2.0 tires, which are not super knobby..... so that 1/2" drop might be fairly accurate.
    I'm gonna pull the trigger on that frame, build it up and test ride it for a while. I'm more concerned about pedal strikes knocking my dad off his bike than anything else.

Thanks again MagicJade