2015 Santa Cruz Heckler vs Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp 2014- Mtbr.com
    New Racer
    Aug 2014

2015 Santa Cruz Heckler vs Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp 2014

I've been looking at both of these bikes, but the Santa Cruz more specifically. It for the most part has me sold. Non Avid brakes, nice color, reasonable price ($3099 option) The Nukeproof looks like a good option too. Which do you guys recommend? One of my issues with the Mega is the brakes. I hate Avids with a passion. I have some Hayes Prime Comp brakes that will fit the Santa Cruz if I don't like the Deores. 180mm in front and 160 out back. Just some thoughts on both of the bikes is appreciated. Also what is the difference between the rear shocks. Monarch vs CTD. Thanks everyone.

More Chasmism
    I've ridden the 2014 Heckler for the whole of this past season and love it -- even more than I expected to. Simple. Reliable. Fun.

hfly

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    2 weeks with a 2015 Heckler R with Pike,. Not much to say objectively, love the bike. Great fit, suspension is far better than my old fox float and FSR. Knew it would descend great, but really surprised at how well it climbs, especially technical tight stuff.

I know nothing of Nukeproof.

mtbr member
    I didn't know Nukeproof was still around. It looks pretty cool though. I am always tempted by smaller more obscure brands, but it would definitely be taking a chance. There is a ton of info on the Heckler, and it always gets good reviews, and you know the company and warranty is solid, and the pivots and frame are reliable, etc.

Nukeproof, might be great, but, who knows. What's the difference in price? It looks like the Nukeproof has a Monarch plus or CCDB, both piggy back shocks, which is a plus.

Brakes are important, but not important enough to make a bike choice, unless all else is equal. And if you have some Hayes you could swap out that you like, you could do that with either bike.

One thing that concerns me when I check the web site is that it says "now for 2013" etc.
    Either they just don't update the site, or the company is not solid, and that could be a problem for warranty issues or spare parts etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    From memory the Nukeproof is quite a bit slacker and longer. So would n't be as snappy as the Heckler. Frame would be alot stiffer though. IMHO if your loooking for a trail bike that your weren't gong to push to hard then go the heckler If your looking for an Enduro ride then go the Nukepoof. The frames heavier too but the Kinematics would give very good climbing/ weight ability.
    I'd be tempted to get one of the TR's as a trail bike. Geometry and Kinematics look good. Chain reaction Cycles will always have pivot kits etc.

If your after a single pivot, one to look at would be the 2015 Commencal Meta AM.The Meta are single pivot nobility and geometry and Kinematics on the Meta's is always spot on. They've dropped frame weight and price this year. USA distributor soon or buy direct.
    Commencal : Bike, Frames, Parts, Textile, Outlet, Second Hand....

If your just after value for money and top of the line suspension performance then Giant Trance or Trance SX has got to be in the mix.

banned
    Feb 2012
    A lot of FUD going on here. Nukeproof is not an obscure brand, it is a house brand of Chain Reaction Cycles that i.e. has factory pro teams in DH and Enduro racing. The brand is solid and reliable and their products offer pretty good value for the buck.

On paper, I like the Nukeproof Mega AM 275 much better than the Heckler, I like its modern geo and the solid build. I wonder why SC stayed with the old and flexy linkage design of the Heckler and did not switch to a much improved APP of the Butcher/Nickel. The Mega AM will be a much stiffer, solid ride. Also note the 1x vs 2x drive train difference between the bikes.

See i.e. EWS Bike Check: Greg Callaghan?s Nukeproof AM 275 PRO | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine How many SC pro riders ride on the Heckler?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    A lot of FUD going on here. Nukeproof is not an obscure brand, it is a house brand of Chain Reaction Cycles that i.e. has factory pro teams in DH and Enduro racing. The brand is solid and reliable and their products offer pretty good value for the buck.
    Thanks for that info. I remember Nukeproof from the old days. Cool hubs and stuff. I didn't know they were bought by CRC.

On paper, I like the Nukeproof Mega AM 275 much better than the Heckler, I like its modern geo and the solid build. I wonder why SC stayed with the old and flexy linkage design of the Heckler and did not switch to a much improved APP of the Butcher/Nickel.
    I was surprised when they dropped the APP bikes as well. Lack of interest I suppose. The Heckler (and Superlight) still have a following. People love them. And although you might say that theoretically, they could be flexy, I don't notice any flex issues on my Superlight.

The Mega AM will be a much stiffer, solid ride. Also note the 1x vs 2x drive train difference between the bikes.

See i.e. EWS Bike Check: Greg Callaghan?s Nukeproof AM 275 PRO | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine How many SC pro riders ride on the Heckler?
    Well, to be fair, SC pro riders have other choices. The Heckler is now marketed as their more affordable AM bike, with the Bronson and Nomad taking the high end market.
    I have SC single pivot and VPP bikes, and like them both, but VPP is what butters the bread over at Santa Cruz.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I wonder why SC stayed with the old and flexy linkage design of the Heckler and did not switch to a much improved APP of the Butcher/Nickel.
    because if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality.........the heckle has proven it's worth for many yrs hence why SC didn't mess with it is one good reason.

mtbr member
    Vs the Heckler the Mega AM frame has an inch longer reach and both the head and seat angles are 1 degree slacker. The wheelbase is also longer and it's a heavier frame (by the scientific method of picking up one of each frame the Mega is noticeabley 'more' frame).

Both frames are reliable, if you ever come to a race in Europe there will be tons of Nukeproofs being ridden by privateers for just that reason. The Heckler is two pivots and a shock mount, they never go wrong either.

As for which to buy, I wouldn't call either one 'better' as such, the Nukeproof is the heavier duty frame of the two and that's what I'd base any decision on. The bigger the places you like to ride and the more you jump (and crash), the more I'd lean towards the Nukeproof.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I didn't know Nukeproof was still around. It looks pretty cool though. I am always tempted by smaller more obscure brands, but it would definitely be taking a chance.
    Really Steve? Really!? Did you not notice the big blue and yellow machine that Sam Hill has been racing for the last two seasons and that he won the last two downhill world cups on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post

Really Steve? Really!? Did you not notice the big blue and yellow machine that Sam Hill has been racing for the last two seasons and that he won the last two downhill world cups on?
    No, I didn't, but thanks for pointing that out.

Ride On

2015 Santa Cruz Heckler vs Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp 2014

The Heckler is a ripper of a bike. Flexy it isn't. I would suggest though that it's a bit different from the Mega AM. The Mega geo is much more along the lines of a Nomad. Great for tearing down wide open gnarly runs. Less fun in the tight and twisties. The Mega TR though is very similar to the Heckler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by geraldooka; 09-28-2014 at 10:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I started my own thread about something similar earlier but aren't getting much traction so thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking at the 2015 heckler frame and 2014 Nukeproof mega tr 275 as a build project, both on sale with the Nukeproof about $200 cheaper, and wanted some opinions.

I have an XFusion sweep RL2 160mm I'm planning to put on whichever one I decide to go with. I ride more trail and all mountain more than anything. Where I live is pretty tight and twisty singletrack and pretty Rocky terrain. There are some trails that allow for some speed too I enjoy but I'm not usually taking consistent drops any bigger than say 5 ft. and never bigger than 8ft.

I really enjoy fast flowy trails and technical single track and am curious with all that being said which frame you guys would recommend. I will be running a 1x11 on it and am 5'10 205 lbs. with muscular build if that matters.

Thanks for any and all replies!