Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

2014 Breezer Repack

I'm not seeing very much love for this bike, does anyone have one? The steepish head angle is throwing me off a bit compared to other 160mm 27.5 AM bikes in its category, but I really like the bike. The only reviews I have seen on this bike have been back from interbike 2013, doesnt seem like any reviewers have gotten a hold of them since? Help me out with some more info on this bike people!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I like the X-Fusion stuff speced on the Expert, and the price and color are nice. I think they went with the 68 head angle to shorten the wheel base.

He definitely needs to get bikes to the press, as it looks like it's going to be a tough sell since it is his first full suspension bike.

WillWorkForTrail
    This actually started off as the one bike I was interested in. I'd love to see one, but none of the three Breezer dealers anywhere near me have one, or plan to get one for floor stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrocks View Post
    I like the X-Fusion stuff speced on the Expert, and the price and color are nice. I think they went with the 68 head angle to shorten the wheel base.

He definitely needs to get bikes to the press, as it looks like it's going to be a tough sell since it is his first full suspension bike.
    Keep in mind like many other the suspension design was farmed out to a company that has made many. So the design comes from experienced engineers.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Have a fealer in Austin with them. They are even doing a free test ride day at a local park soon. Not looking for a new bike, but tempted to check it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrocks View Post

If you take a look at the Breezer Facebookpage they now have published a review from Mountain Flyer Magazine.

They have also a new preview from Dirt Rag Magazine, the full test is to be realeased in Dirt Rag Magazine issue # 176.

I am also stoked on the Expert model, as i have some XT components lying around, i can't see any bike that will give more bang for the bucks in the Enduro segment than the Repack Expert right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I rode one locally and it climbed like a XC bike and cornered phenomenally. I really really liked the bike and I have a 2013 trance 29er and 2014 anthem 27.5. It out handles my trance and moves like the anthem. The demo bikes are pretty heavy but you would not know it from riding it. I loved this bike. Mine had the XT group drivetrain.

WillWorkForTrail
    Now that's a provocative review. I'm still interested in this bike, but still can't find one to ride. I think that comparison works well for me since my LBS is a Giant dealer and I've ridden most of those bikes. It sounds like maybe this IS the bike I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm thinking this could be a hell of a bike that goes unnoticed. Everything I've read states how great the pedaling is. And even with that great pedaling, it eats up the chunk.

I love the spec on the Expert with the X-Fusion suspension and Shimano parts. I just don't love the color. The top two frames look so sharp. Great color schemes. I just am not that into green. Wish you could choose which ever color like some other brands do.

The one review really explains why it has that head angle, but if you don't like the head angle, I wonder if you could slack it out a bit with an angle set?

orthonormal
    Those are some long top tubes! 600 mm ETT for the small and they say it's intended for riders up to 5'6"? That's on the long side of what I like and i'm 5'10". Strange design choice when, according to the reviews, the intent was to keep FC and RC (which also isn't very short at 438 mm) as short as possible.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Those are some long top tubes! 600 mm ETT for the small and they say it's intended for riders up to 5'6"? That's on the long side of what I like and i'm 5'10". Strange design choice when, according to the reviews, the intent was to keep FC and RC (which also isn't very short at 438 mm) as short as possible.
    That's the new trend, long TT short stem. It's not much longer that a small Kona Process.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    That's the new trend, long TT short stem. It's not much longer that a small Kona Process.
    I'm aware of that but this bike doesn't come with a short stem and the design goal was supposedly to minimize the wheelbase. Those long TT/ultra short stem bikes are intentionally lengthening the wheelbase to improve stability.
    Last edited by andy f; 05-25-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Retro on Steroids
    Got mine last week. First ride I fell off a couple of times because the steering is so much quicker than my 29er that I oversteered coming through turns on singletrack. Six inches one way or another on singletrack can be problematic. Not the bike's fault, I just have to adapt my skills.

Climbs great, a little heavy but I'll go tubeless pretty soon and drop a little weight. Stock tires and rims are tubeless ready.

2014  Breezer Repack-breezer.jpg

horn doggie
    I picked mine up last week, too. We sell Pivot and Yeti and Trek and Breezer (Endless Cycles - Castro Valley Bicycles), each with an offering or two in the 650b format. I chose the Repack, as it suits my style of riding (super-D, trail). If you want to drop steep chutes, this bike can accommodate, but perhaps one of the other slacker offerings is better in DH-light mode.

This bike is better suited to carve turns (Think: FLOW), climb and pedal efficiently (absent need for PP, btw) and cover ground through the chop. That's what I like about the bike.

Here's a short clip of my very first descent on a preproduction Repack earlier this year. I'd been aboard the bike for about 15 minutes in order to climb to the top of Cinderella Trail in Joaquin Miller park, Oakland. It's one of the more DH oriented trails there. We were doing A/B tests between it an a Trek Slash. I was able to catch up pretty quickly, but had to stay back due to the dust; my eyes were killing me from contact/dust issues. No goggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlfblntkBrc

Here's another short clip from the same day, this time going down upper Palos Colorado trail, a mine field of embedded roots at oblique angles, ruts and rocks. I was taking an upper line in hopes of catching/passing the Slash, and was successful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJyrw5WUMN0
    Last edited by scooderdude; 06-01-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

horn doggie
    If you're in the SF bay area, Endless Cycles in Castro Valley has one in stock.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

horn doggie
    The wheelbase is within 15 mm of the wheelbase of my S-Works Enduro in 26" wheel format. The difference appears to be in the length of the CS, as the larger wheels do need a bit more room to translate through the suspension arc.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    It's funny how that trend is cycling around again.....Gary Fisher started that with Genesis Geometry in 2000 with the Sugar. I personally like long top tubes and short stems. There are a lot of bikes I would like to try but XL frames with 24.4" top tubes just do not work for me......especially when they have a 67 - 68 degree head tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    cool vids

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've had my new Repack Team Medium (I'm 5'11") since April and get about 3-4 rides a week on it. I ride in the PNW (Seattle area) and have taken a trip down to San Luis Obispo with it. PNW is like BC (trees, loamy and muddy soils, roots, lumber bridges). My time in SLO was on either loose over hard or well packed, dry, clay soils.
    The climbing prowess of this bike cannot be overstated. I can throw out 26 years of climbing technique when riding this bike and it still stays glued to the ground. The only exception to this is that the stock Nobby Nics suck in the wet PNW soils I ride (they were very good in SLO). I switched to WTB Vigilantes (the original tire spec'ed for this bike) and fixed that problem (I've ran both the Nics and the WTBs tubeless with Orange Seal). I also swapped the grips for WTB Moto grips because the originals don't grip enough in the wet (but were fine in the dry). This bike is heavier than my old 26" Stumpy FSR, but my Strava times have dropped across the board. I expected this with the descents, but not the climbs. Why? 27.5 vs 26? M-Link vs Horst? . . . I don't know, but I'm posting faster times on climbs with this heavier bike.
    One of my biggest surprises was how insanely well this bike did in a fast technical rock garden decent (in SLO on Madonna MT). I kept laughing because whenever it seemed like I was screwed and was about to eat it, I was able to pilot this bike out of trouble. This bike rewards you for pushing it a little further. Every time I come into a corner a little harder, with a little less brake I'm shocked at how well it handles. I'm sure there's gonna be a big "oh crap" moment when I finally take it too far, but so far the bike has been very forgiving when I do over cook a corner (first day in SLO I lost a little skin when the front end washed out).
    After SLO I swapped the 70mm stem for a 45mm. I did this because I washed the front end out a couple of times in the wet (PNW). I got the WTB tires shortly there after so I can't accurately comment on how well the new stem helped (if at all) with the front end. The new tires have been amazing. Either way, I no longer have a wash out issue.
    I put a Giant Contact switch dropper post on about a month ago. It works. I don't have an issue with the lack of internal routing for the dropper post. As a former bike mechanic (I always cringe when somebody types those word) I've never been a fan of internally routed cables. The routing for the post was simple and I've had no issues with it.
    Lastly, the full XT kit is amazing. Especially the brakes, and the shifters, and the hubs and the derailleurs . . . all of it.
    Last edited by TucksMedicAided; 06-06-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Retro on Steroids
    In 1978 Joe Breeze made me one of the first real mountain bikes. This bike is now known as "Breezer #2." It resides in the MTB Hall of Fame.

Here I am with Joe and the bike, which recently returned to Fairfax with the rest of the HoF collection.

2014  Breezer Repack-breezer2a.jpg

Here I am with Joe and my new Breezer Repack bike. We are both wearing t=shirts featuring race posters from the real Repack races in 1978.

2014  Breezer Repack-breezer_repack.jpg

WillWorkForTrail
    Oh man, that's seriously cool. The bikes. The pictures. The shirts. The man. Thanks for sharing. It means a lot to a guy who watched as a kid growing up on the east coast as all this stuff was happening to see history like the first picture, and to see the second picture and know, yeah, I can keep doing this as long as I want to.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing the pics, the bikes, the history, and the knowledge, RR.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Love my repack pro. Climbs like a champ xc bike and going downhill is still a blast with it.

2014  Breezer Repack-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is the first time I've heard of Breezer Bikes. Glad you posted this. Nice looking bikes, and the prices seem very reasonable. I hope to hear more details about how the bikes ride. Those are nice trails shown in the videos.

mtbr member
    I want one of these but i wish it was a 140mm travel bike not 160. I might wait and see if they make and trail/all mountain version of the bike. It is this or a Transition Bandit 27.5 or Santa Cruz 5010, all of which I can pro deal through my work. I will just wait it out and see what else comes along.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Why would you want it in 140? These shocks on trail or climb along with the engineering of the frame keep the bike planted and it does not bob on the pedal stroke at all.

mtbr member
    It is just too much travel for my needs. Nothing wrong with their engineering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just ordered the Repack Expert! Looking forward to this thing in a big way.
    Last edited by rdub315; 10-03-2014 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Bike has been assembled and my first impression was that the bike seems big! I have to admit that the top tube, bars, and seat height were a bit intimidating at first. Then again, I had gotten so used to my very old and outdated 26er geometry.

I'm 5'8" and went with the recommended Medium size. During fitting, I had LBS cut down the seat post a bit, and I also ended up installing a shorter stem. Ready to rock this thing on the trails now - too bad it's supposed to rain all day Saturday!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    nice bike, i like the reviews

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    For those who own or have ridden the Repack I would like some size advice. I'm 5'11" with average (32") inseam. Would the appropriate size for me be a medium or large? I can't find a size chart. Thanks!

horn doggie
    I am about your size at 5'10ish and I bought a Medium. The bike seems big, and have wondered if a Small would have been a good choice. A large is clearly too big for you at 5'11".
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude View Post
    I am about your size at 5'10ish and I bought a Medium. The bike seems big, and have wondered if a Small would have been a good choice. A large is clearly too big for you at 5'11".
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    For what it's worth, here's the Geo chart that I went by when ordering.

Breezer Repack Expert Bike 2014 | Breezer

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rdub315 View Post
    For what it's worth, here's the Geo chart that I went by when ordering.

Breezer Repack Expert Bike 2014 | Breezer
    Thanks! Have you already received your bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MONGOOSE View Post
    Thanks! Have you already received your bike?
    Yep - see post# 29 above.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So I just pulled the trigger on one of these off of price point. Got the expert version for $1700 and some change so couldn't pass it up.

That said how are you guys liking them after a couple months in?

I agonized over which size to get and ended up going with a medium. I'm 5'10 with short 30" inseam and long torso so hopefully it'll fit good. I'm coming off a KHS XCT 536 which has a 595mm TT so I thought 615mm would be ok especially with shorter stem.

Anyway I'm super excited to get this thing. I ride mainly trail but am looking at getting into some super D and light enduro for fun and it looks like this bike will be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Coghog - Nice score on the Repack. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. At 5'10" I think you made the right choice on the medium. I'm 5'8" and I'm comfortable on a medium, especially after installing a shorter stem and cutting the bars down a bit. The more I ride it, the more I love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If I didn't get a killer deal on my carbon Sensor expert, I would have bought the exact same bike you just did. Great deal and I really like the XFusion suspension. Never got to ride a Repack, but it looks great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Coghog - Nice score on the Repack. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. At 5'10" I think you made the right choice on the medium. I'm 5'8" and I'm comfortable on a medium, especially after installing a shorter stem and cutting the bars down a bit. The more I ride it, the more I love it.
    Thanks man that's good to hear.

I'm giddy over getting this thing, gonna be a good Christmas for yours truly this year!

I've got some renthal fatbars I cut to 740 and a truvativ holzfeller 60mm stem I'm gonna put on it. I'm also contemplating going to 1x10 too but I'm gonna wait and see if I need the extra gears first for climbs.

I'm sure I'll add some other stuff too like a dropper post but that'll have to wait just a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    If I didn't get a killer deal on my carbon Sensor expert, I would have bought the exact same bike you just did. Great deal and I really like the XFusion suspension. Never got to ride a Repack, but it looks great.
    Those sensors look killer too.

In all honesty I've actually never ridden a repack either so I'm taking a chance. That said the geo is pretty close to what I'm already used to and I did a ton of research before I decided to buy it so I feel good about it and don't think I'll have any issues.

First time buying a bike online too but the deal was just too good to pass up. I figure no guts no glory and I have a feeling this thing's gonna be glorious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    From what I've read you're going to love it. The suspension is supposed to climb very well with no platform. That's what attracted me to the bike.

mtbr member
    I picked up a Repack Pro and got the online vendor to price match. With no tax and free shipping (with a small fee for oversized packaging) it came to ~ $2300 shipped to my door.

I took it on it's maiden voyage yesterday at a really rocky and technical trail and it performed amazingly! I've yet to take it up a long, extended climb, but so far so good. I'm about 5'10.5" and the medium fits really good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasone510 View Post
    I picked up a Repack Pro and got the online vendor to price match. With no tax and free shipping (with a small fee for oversized packaging) it came to ~ $2300 shipped to my door.

I took it on it's maiden voyage yesterday at a really rocky and technical trail and it performed amazingly! I've yet to take it up a long, extended climb, but so far so good. I'm about 5'10.5" and the medium fits really good.
    That's awesome to hear.

I'm feeling even better bout the medium and can't wait for this thing to arrive.

I decided to keep my holzfeller stem on my KHS and went ahead and bought an Easton havoc 50mm to put on the repack. As far as the bars I'll either keep the ritchey trail bars since I've heard they're good, put my renthal fatbars on there, or throw some raceface atlas green monsters on there if the green matches since I think they'd look killer.

Anyway hopefully it'll be here by Friday so I can get it put together. I'll shoot some pics once I do.

In the meantime happy riding and thanks for the replies guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Another question for you guys that already have your repacks and have ridden them.

I was reading that chainslap can be an issue on the drive side. Any of you guys experiencing that any more than usual?

Also does the frame come with any kind of protector? I usually just do the old tube routine since it works but didn't know if that'd be an issue with this particular frame since the pivot is in the middle of the stay.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CogHog View Post
    Another question for you guys that already have your repacks and have ridden them.

I was reading that chainslap can be an issue on the drive side. Any of you guys experiencing that any more than usual?

Also does the frame come with any kind of protector? I usually just do the old tube routine since it works but didn't know if that'd be an issue with this particular frame since the pivot is in the middle of the stay.

Thanks.
    Haven't noticed this at all, as there is a rubbery frame protector that is designed to fit nicely over the stay and pivot area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Haven't noticed this at all, as there is a rubbery frame protector that is designed to fit nicely over the stay and pivot area.
    Oh ok cool.

I thought I saw where it had that but didn't see it in any of the pics of the frame.

That solves that, thanks.

Dusting Trails
    Now you guys need to ride up Pine Mountain and then down Repack to see what your bike was named for - it's a thrill ride to say the least!

And big shout out to Charlie!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    Now you guys need to ride up Pine Mountain and then down Repack to see what your bike was named for - it's a thrill ride to say the least!

And big shout out to Charlie!
    Really want to do this, but wrong coast!!!

Dusting Trails
    Too bad - it's really a blast!

Below is the calm before the storm - it starts out like this and then the bottom drops out. It never gets old or easy.

2014  Breezer Repack-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Really want to do this, but wrong coast!!!
    Ha I'm out too.

I'm in NW Arkansas so land locked right in the middle.

Heck I've never even been to Cali but hope to one day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    Too bad - it's really a blast!

Below is the calm before the storm - it starts out like this and then the bottom drops out. It never gets old or easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	269.8 KB 
ID:	945592
    Would love to give that run a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So took the repack out today for its maiden voyage and must say I think I'm really gonna like this bike. Will have to tweak the cockpit a bit since I threw a 50mm stem on it and my seat was a bit to close so I'll have to slide it back a bit but that was my fault not the bikes.

I will say it's a bit heavy but I didn't really notice it except on the slow steady climbs but to be honest that's likely as much my riding shape as they sucked on the 26er I'm coming off too which was lighter and it was only a slight difference.

Now for the good and it's almost all good. This thing kills on the downhill. It's stable but still a ton of fun. Places where I felt a bit sketchy on my KHS XCT were no problem with this thing whether it be loose over hard pack with washout areas abound or rocky, rooty sections with lots of chatter it ate it all up. It even did really well on tight twisty single track and short, punchy, and rocky climbs.

It flows well, handles well and just plain rips. Another bonus is the suspension. I experienced no pedal bob. None. In fact I never touched the PP on the shock the whole ride. It stayed glued to the trail and was extremely efficient in the pedaling overall which I didn't expect for a 160mm bike.

Lastly coming off a 26er the benefits of a 27.5 tire was readily apparent. I just didn't have to work the bike as much to get it up and over stuff like I did with the 26er and I'm happy I switched.

So overall this thing just works. The only downside is the weight but with a couple tweaks here and there that can be remedied a bit, but it's something I'm happy to live with. For an overall all mountain/trail bike this thing would be hard to beat and does most everything well from my limited experience and I love it so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    I want one of these but i wish it was a 140mm travel bike not 160. I might wait and see if they make and trail/all mountain version of the bike. It is this or a Transition Bandit 27.5 or Santa Cruz 5010, all of which I can pro deal through my work. I will just wait it out and see what else comes along.
    The forks are adjustable down to 120mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Got my Repack Expert last week and finally started to ride it this week (Had to make some adjustments since I purchased online from PricePoint) This bike climbs like no other. Took me a bit to get the rebound adjusted, but once you do this bike rocks it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just finished up my build last week. I only have one ride in so I can't give an accurate ride report yet but will follow up within the next week or two. I pretty much stripped the bike down to the frame and fork and upgraded everything else with parts from another bike. The stock bike weighed about 32.5 lbs and I have mine down to 28.5 lbs. Not bad at all for a heavy aluminum frame and 160mm travel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wu501 View Post
    I just finished up my build last week. I only have one ride in so I can't give an accurate ride report yet but will follow up within the next week or two. I pretty much stripped the bike down to the frame and fork and upgraded everything else with parts from another bike. The stock bike weighed about 32.5 lbs and I have mine down to 28.5 lbs. Not bad at all for a heavy aluminum frame and 160mm travel
    Nice weight loss, what's the build list?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just a quick update. I've had my repack since December riding about 1-2 times a week on it and could not be happier. It's just a great bike.

I'm still amazed at how well this thing climbs given it's travel and it's capabilities downhill as well.

The only upgrades so far are an Easton havoc 50mm stem, raceface green monster handlebars, grips, some raceface crank protectors, and a marsh guard to help keep the crud from flinging up in my face.

Hopefully soon I'm gonna upgrade to tubeless and am toying around with the idea of going 1x10 if I can find a way to keep the gearing I want.

Also will add a dropper post eventually too.

Anyway I'm continuing to love this thing and all that it allows me to do out on the trails.

mtbr member
    I LOVE my Repack Pro. Coming from a xc 29er, this thing just blows it away on the downhills.

I've added a Raceface Atlas 50mm stem, Wolftooth 42t, Wolftooth goatlink, 30t Raceface narrow wide chain ring, MRP decapitator direct mount cover, and a reverb dropper post.

As it stands I am extremely happy with the bike's performance. I am toying with the idea of adding a set of offset bushings to get the head angle to 67 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I LOVE my Repack Pro. Coming from a xc 29er, this thing just blows it away on the downhills.

I've added a Raceface Atlas 50mm stem, Wolftooth 42t, Wolftooth goatlink, 30t Raceface narrow wide chain ring, MRP decapitator direct mount cover, and a reverb dropper post.

As it stands I am extremely happy with the bike's performance. I am toying with the idea of adding a set of offset bushings to get the head angle to 67 degrees.
    I actually had the same thought on the offset for the HT angle. If you decide to do it let us know what you think.

Also how are you liking the wolf tooth components? I was thinking of doing the same thing but can't decide to go wolf tooth goatlink or oneup rad cage with the 42t and a 30t narrow wide up front.

mtbr member
    I actually had the same thought on the offset for the HT angle. If you decide to do it let us know what you think.

Also how are you liking the wolf tooth components? I was thinking of doing the same thing but can't decide to go wolf tooth goatlink or oneup rad cage with the 42t and a 30t narrow wide up front.
    I picked up the bushings, I'll provide feedback once I get them and get a few rides in.

Regarding the 42t. Without the goatlink down shifting towards the middle of the cassette sucked. With the goatlink it shifts fine. Not as good as stock, but good enough that it doesn't bother me anymore. It shifts in and out of every cog just fine now. The b-screw is no longer fully screwed in, it's about halfway. It's a lot cheaper than the rad cage. If you have a long cage shimano, you still need to buy the other half of the cage, the Rad is a mid cage and only replaces one side. Saves quite a bit of change going with the goat link.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice weight loss, what's the build list?
    Hope Pro 2 hubs with Stans flow rims, SLX cranks and brakes, Sram 11 speed drivetrain.
    I changed the tires to Schwalbe Nobby Nics after this picture.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I picked up the bushings, I'll provide feedback once I get them and get a few rides in.

Regarding the 42t. Without the goatlink down shifting towards the middle of the cassette sucked. With the goatlink it shifts fine. Not as good as stock, but good enough that it doesn't bother me anymore. It shifts in and out of every cog just fine now. The b-screw is no longer fully screwed in, it's about halfway. It's a lot cheaper than the rad cage. If you have a long cage shimano, you still need to buy the other half of the cage, the Rad is a mid cage and only replaces one side. Saves quite a bit of change going with the goat link.
    Awesome that's kinda what I was thinking.

Looks like I'll be doing to the same mod in the near future for my 1x setup too.

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

5'8" Modifications

rdub315, I am also 5'8" and wanted to clarify a few things:
    • What stem length and make did you install?
    • Why did you have to shorten the seat post? Could it not drop far enough?
    • Did you just cut the stock handlebars or install a new one? What length do you have now.
    Last edited by Aliby; 04-23-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: update name

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliby View Post
    rdub315, I am also 5'8" and wanted to clarify a few things:
    • What stem length and make did you install?
    • Why did you have to shorten the seat post? Could it not drop far enough?
    • Did you just cut the stock handlebars or install a new one? What length do you have now.
    I got the Easton Havoc stem in 50mm. I ordered this after reading another review by someone who test rode the bike and recommended a shorter stem, but honestly after a bunch of rides I don't think I really needed it.

Correct on the post - had to cut it because it didn't drop far enough.

Yes, I took 3/4" off each end of the stock bars and I think they're perfect now.

horn doggie
    I am toying with the idea of adding a set of offset bushings to get the head angle to 67 degrees.
    What are these bushings you refer to?
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Probably these: Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK

That is a really fun bike, but the HTA is too steep for it's class (imo). Taking a couple degrees out of it would probably be a good idea.

Cheers,
    KP

horn doggie
    As I understand, an off-set HS is not an option because the Repack employs an integrated headset design, where the bearing race is integral to the inside of the head tube. I looked into this solution earlier and was informed of this by Cane Creek. But maybe there's a new engineering solution produced in the last few months to counter this.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    wu501
    Wwhat bike rack do you have in your photo? I think tray style mounts are the way to go and this looks great!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Offset bushings have been around for a long time. They replace the bushings in the rear shock mounts. It increases eye to eye length and therefore pushes the frame into its travel slightly which slackens the head angle. Check out offsetbushings.com, they have a good explanation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Has anyone tried the offset bushings yet?

The White Jeff W
    Repack Team on sale at Price Point for $2200. XT level build.

2014 Breezer Repack Team | 650b
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Repack Team on sale at Price Point for $2200. XT level build.

2014 Breezer Repack Team | 650b
    I got my XL at that price....jumped on it as soon as I saw it dropped in price. I had been looking at the the Pro level bike and then they dropped the team to the same price. Ordered it that day...looks like they only have Small left though. I love my Repack so if you can fit a small I don't think you can find a better deal out there right now. Only thing mine needs is a shorter stem. The 90mm is a little long and puts more weight on the front than I like. Other than that I can't say enough good things about the Repack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Offset bushings have been around for a long time. They replace the bushings in the rear shock mounts. It increases eye to eye length and therefore pushes the frame into its travel slightly which slackens the head angle. Check out offsetbushings.com, they have a good explanation.
    Close! Offset Bushings reduce the eye to eye length, which drops the frame a tad to slacken the head angle and lower the BB.

If you have any questions please get in touch with us at Offsetbushings.com and we'll get you sorted out!

Cheers,

Jeron

The White Jeff W
    Yeah that's the funny thing...the pro is the same price but lower spec build.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The price went down on the Team when they only had XL and S sizes left which I assume are less popular and harder to sell. The pro model had all the popular sizes so not as much of a discount.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi - can anyone help me with sizing? I'm considering a Repack for my wife - upgrade her old hard tail so she can enjoy MTB again.

She is 5'8", about 140 lbs, her arms are on the longish side, and I'd say her inseam is about 31". From the company sizing charts it seems like the Medium would be the choice for her, but I think it's possible the small might work - and maybe be better. Plus if the small works I'd get the Team version from Pricepoint. If she needs a medium I'd go with the Expert.

Her riding style is that she is cautious - she gets intimidated by the roots and rocks here in the Northeast. She's a pretty solid rider though, and we do quite a bit of road biking. She took a bad fall from her road bike last year - long story but basically we were riding into the rising sun and couldn't see a big pothole that was in shade - she broke two ribs and separated her shoulder.

Anyway…she won't be bombing like crazy or whipping the bike around - as I said she will be on the cautious side, if that makes any difference in sizing.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    bump - hoping for some input on my post above on sizing. Leaning toward the medium - I"m concerned the stack on the small will be a problem. If the reach on hte medium is a bit long I can rectify with a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I am 6'2 which put me at XL on their size chart and I found it to be very accurate as the bike fits me quite well. Whether or not that holds up on the other sizes I can't say. I am going to go with a shorter stem though to get my weight back a bit. Mine came with a 90mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I got a medium and it fits me ok (5'8"). However, I started with the seat as far down as the post would go and have since raised it 1" above the lowest point (great for riding, but you get off the seat to put your feet down). As I intend to get a dropper post it will be fine, but at the moment I can't drop the seat much below normal for tech descents. So based on my experience, I expect a small frame may be better for her. Else budget for a 75mm travel dropper from the start. (The only good one I know is the KS Supernatural Seatpost-R 75mm)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I also have a medium Repack which fits me perfect. I'm 5'10 with a 30" inseam so I have short legs but a long torso. Anyway I threw a 50mm stem on it and some 760mm bars and the thing rocks! Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Pulled the trigger a week ago on the Medium. Got it this past Saturday and put it together and stowed it in a neighbor's garage until my wife's b-day next Sat.

Not sure about the size. May have to get a shorter stem. Can't really know until she's on it. If it's too big, I'll just have to keep it for myself and get her a small !

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Picked one up yesterday! Last one I know of around the Front Range.

This will be my first modern proper mountain bike. I've been tooling around on local trails with my dirt jumper, but obviously pedaling any distance on that guy just plain sucks. I've been in the market off and on for the better part of the last two years, but always found an excuse not to shell out the $$$.

Heading over to Alderfer/Three Sisters now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    BILLYYMC
    I put my first ride on my Repack last night. I'm 5'9" with 32" inseam and the bike fits great. I'm coming of a 29er HT. The Repack feels awesome compared to my HT. It should fit your wife great.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Got back from Alderfer and loved the bike. I'd rented a 29er Santa Cruz Tallboy and a 650B Santa Cruz 5010 just to try out 29 vs. 27.5 since I'd never ridden a 27.5 and definitely like the 5010 more, but that bike didn't climb well at all. My rusty skills provided it no assistance. The Repack climbs infinitely better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    5'8" with 29" inseam and 31" sleeve. Small or Medium?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by RSMBiker View Post
    IMO, a medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So these offset bushings...anyone try them yet?

Would like to slacken out my Breezer a bit just to see what it feels like and doesn't seem like an angleset is an option due to the integrated HS.

The offset bushings seems like a cheaper option but didn't know if anyone has tried them yet to see if they work in terms of clearance, etc.

Don't wanna jack up my bike since I love it as is but just curious if slackening it to say 67 will make it even more awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I want to try them on bike. I was able to message with a guy about them that had used them on his repack and this is what he wrote:

"No issues with rubbing, I've bottomed out the suspension and there weren't any clearance issues. The ride is fine, wanders slightly more uphill. I feel more confident on the downhill chunk and steep sections, but that could be the placebo effect. Would I do it again? Probably not, the difference wasn't as noticeable as I thought it would be, but again I don't push the bike anywhere near it's limits so YMMV."

I definitely want to try them. I think it's around $30 for a pair of them so you aren't out much if you don't like it for some reason. I think they would be a plus and don't really see any downside to them especially for the type of riding I do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMountainsBiker View Post
    I want to try them on bike. I was able to message with a guy about them that had used them on his repack and this is what he wrote:

"No issues with rubbing, I've bottomed out the suspension and there weren't any clearance issues. The ride is fine, wanders slightly more uphill. I feel more confident on the downhill chunk and steep sections, but that could be the placebo effect. Would I do it again? Probably not, the difference wasn't as noticeable as I thought it would be, but again I don't push the bike anywhere near it's limits so YMMV."

I definitely want to try them. I think it's around $30 for a pair of them so you aren't out much if you don't like it for some reason. I think they would be a plus and don't really see any downside to them especially for the type of riding I do.
    That's awesone and exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

I'm definitely gonna give em a shot since $30 is worth the gamble to me.

I've personally never ridden anything any slacker than 68 but I'm beginning to push harder on descents now and just curious if a degree to degree and a half will make that big of a difference.

Any particular place better for buying them from?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have seen Offsetbushings.com - Standard & Offset bicycle shock hardware ? Offset Bushings | Shock Mounting Hardware recommended. That is probably where I will order mine from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have seen Offsetbushings.com - Standard & Offset bicycle shock hardware ? Offset Bushings | Shock Mounting Hardware recommended. That is probably where I will order mine from.
    Awesome I was just checking out their site.

Definitely ordering some today and will post back once I've gotten them installed and had a couple rides to see what I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Awesome I was just checking out their site.

Definitely ordering some today and will post back once I've gotten them installed and had a couple rides to see what I think.
    Gotta figure out what size bushing now though on my X Fusion O2 RLX shock.

I emailed that company hoping they might have an idea what I might need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If they don't you can get a cheap pair of digital calipers at harbour freight and measure them yourself. I have a set and they come in handy for a lot of things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah I'll just do that if they don't know what size I need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So just an update. Got an email back and they're not sure which hardware is on my Breezer repack. He said he thought it was standard 22mm hardware but he wasn't sure which bolt diameter. So I ordered some digital calipers that arrived yesterday and will check the size of everything this weekend so I can place my order Monday. I'll post back once I get them installed and get a ride in to let everyone know what I think.

Also on another note just saw the new Fuji auric that's coming out and man that bike looks sweet. Seems to have everything the Repack does but lighter, slacker, and has internal cable routing. Also has the ability to put in an angle set too so might be looking at a frame swap later down the road, maybe. If these bushings work out I'm not sure if it'd be worth it since I can drop weight on my breezer by swapping out the wheel set and the bushings will put the geo just as slack as the Fuji. Ah decisions, decisions. Would have to get a good deal on the frame to make it worth it I guess IF they'll frame it out in the first place, just thinking out loud.

Happy riding in the meantime!

horn doggie
    Quote Originally Posted by RSMBiker View Post
    My suggestion is a Small. At 5'10" and 32" inseam I'm on a Medium, but if I were to do it again I would choose a Small. I put a 50mm Point-1 Split Tail stem on it to shorten the cockpit and that has made a world of difference, but the smaller frame would have been an improvement, too.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

horn doggie

My thoughts are you would get the same or greater benefit by just inducing a few more mm of sag. On the other hand, installing a Fox 36 Float RC2 would likely do the trick due to longer a-c distance. There's your extra degree or more of slack.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast