Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude View Post
    My thoughts are you would get the same or greater benefit by just inducing a few more mm of sag. On the other hand, installing a Fox 36 Float RC2 would likely do the trick due to longer a-c distance. There's your extra degree or more of slack.
    Not sure increasing sag will give the same effect since it wouldn't make a permanent set point like the bushings would since it would vary depending on how weighted the rear suspension was.

Also increasing the sag wouldn't be an option for me I don't think since I'm already close to bottoming out the rear suspension on 3 1/2 foot drops at 185 psi in my rear shock at a BW of 205lbs. Any lower and I think I'll be bottoming out for sure, especially since I'm planning to tackle bigger obstacles down the road.

The change in fork on the other hand might work but at like 25 times the cost of a pair of $30 offset bushings.

For now I think I'll try the bushings first then tweak from there if need be. Quite honestly I'm not sure I even need a much slacker angle anyway but I'd like to try it out without dropping a lot to do so.

That's what makes the bushings a valid option, for me at least.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My suggestion is a Small. At 5'10" and 32" inseam I'm on a Medium, but if I were to do it again I would choose a Small. I put a 50mm Point-1 Split Tail stem on it to shorten the cockpit and that has made a world of difference, but the smaller frame would have been an improvement, too.
    Thanks! I went forward with the deal on bike which was only available in a Small. It actually fits fine with a stock stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone else experiencing bottom bracket creak?

Mine after 8 months or so of riding, through one hard and muddy winter, is creaking like crazy under load and is driving me crazy in the process.

I'm gonna take it to get it seviced but if I can't get it sorted out I'm gonna be getting rid of this frame, no matter how much I love it.

It's that bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    No creak from mine but I've only been out in the wet a few times. Good luck with yours. I hope you can get it sorted out.

horn doggie
    Creaks from the bottom bracket area are usually the bottom bracket needing service or replacing. Why would you toss the baby with the bath water? Take it to a bike shop.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Creaks from the bottom bracket area are usually the bottom bracket needing service or replacing. Why would you toss the baby with the bath water? Take it to a bike shop.
    No I'm definitely going to, taking it today actually.

I won't give up on it immediately but if this continues I will. This is my first PF bottom bracket and I've never had a bike creak like this, ever.

My other bikes were threaded and if it started creaking I'd just tighten it up or take it out, regrease it and good. With this one I can't do it myself because I don't have the tools.

If I've gotta replace one bottom bracket every 8 months or so to keep it quite I'm good with that because I ride hard but if I can't get her to be quite I'm going back to a threaded BB.

Other things too like HT angle and inability to do an angleset are annoying too but I'm hoping to get these bushings soon to try them.

Right now this creaking is really pissing me off though. I'd expect it from a huffy, not a bike that retails for almost 3k.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Did anyone follow through with the offset bushings??? I'm really curious if I should get some for myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been rockin a '14 Breezer Repack since May of this year and have been putting it through it's paces on a regular basis. Other than a seat change, bike is as I bought it from Pricepoint (for a killer price).

Don't feel like typing too much so I'll keep it a simply pro/cons list.

Pros:
    -Climbing ability....it is not just hype, it honestly does climb extremely well.
    -Front end is super stout and strong.
    -XT Components and Fox suspension, all works excellent (especially the XT brakes....long time Hayes fan, I like XT's better)
    -Excellent handling....my first 27.5", was concerned about tight stuff, no issues.
    -Excellent reliability....I've put on probably in the high-hundreds trail miles since opening the box, no creaks, no sloppiness, no bearing issues. Except for the forks, maintenance has been low.

Cons:
    -Heavy. While it rides great for it's weight, I begin to feel it when out on a long multi-hour ride. Climbing ability hides its weight well.
    -Not the best decender. For a 6" bike, you expect to bomb down almost anything, but little sketchy when super bumpy and super fast. Need to pick good lines when going down.
    -Long TT for it's size. It's a good thing and bad thing....good, cause it helps inspire a little more confidence when going down fast (cause you need it due to issue pointed out above), but if you have a small torso or arms, the long TT maybe an issue. Could not recommend a stem any shorter than 70mm due to decending ability.

With all that said, I really really like the bike. It's a super stout frame that will take a beating, XT components rocks, along with the Fox suspenders. It probably wouldn't make the best pick for enduro racing, but a reliable, long-stemmed trail bike, short rides, long rides, tight, loose, up or down....works excellent for me. And for the price/performance value....extremely hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ya I actually have a repack and was just wondering about the offset bushings because I am really disappointed how this thing desends

mtbr member
    Can any of you Repack owners tell me the head tube diameters of this bike? I've got a Pushed 150mm 34 Float I plan to install on this bike once it arrives and I'd like to order a adjustable angle headset to make up for the change in HA with my 10mm shorter fork. Thanks in advance.
    >>"Every chance I get!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitzhym View Post
    Can any of you Repack owners tell me the head tube diameters of this bike? I've got a Pushed 150mm 34 Float I plan to install on this bike once it arrives and I'd like to order a adjustable angle headset to make up for the change in HA with my 10mm shorter fork. Thanks in advance.
    Hey man sorry to let you down but there is no way you can get an angled headset, I've tried everything for mine... I've finally sucked it up and I have to save for a nomad frame...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Breezer supercell

Quote Originally Posted by Austinmason View Post
    Hey man sorry to let you down but there is no way you can get an angled headset, I've tried everything for mine... I've finally sucked it up and I have to save for a nomad frame...
    Ya i found out also, not compatable with any angleset. Thats a bit of a let down.
    So i used offset bushings. Frame space allowed this with trail boss tires
    I have a 2015 supercell xl
    The mods are as follows
    Renthal 780 bars w riser
    Renthal apex 50 mm stem
    140 mm fox fork , i noticed the original fork angled in for a steeper setup, the 140 ened up a bit more slacker
    34t rf chainring
    Shimano zee m820 ss rear d
    E13 chain guide
    Elite dropper
    Two lizard skins jumbo
    This combo has gotten this bike to a 68 ha
    This is enough for now, maybe next year i will sell the frame and swap for something more adjustable. However i am 6'2 @ 195 nude
    I have to say i do enjoy the ride tho. Its a bit pro front end buts thats ok for now. I came from a hardtail and it was such a difference that i cant say anything bad.
    The biggest gripe is my weight.
    I feel heavier riders dont get as plush as a ride as lighter riders get. Peeps say it balances out but.....
    Going to the zee rear s was question 20 speed drive train was just too sloppy.
    My queation is, with this config what frame can i move to ? Later on

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    Ya i found out also, not compatable with any angleset. Thats a bit of a let down.
    The mods are as follows
    Renthal 780 bars w riser
    Renthal apex 50 mm stem
    140 mm fox fork , i noticed the original fork angled in for a steeper setup, the 140 ened up a bit more slacker
    34t rf chainring
    E13 chain guide
    Elite dropper
    Two lizard skins jumbo
    This is enough for now, maybe next year i will sell the frame and swap for something more adjustable. However i am 6'2 @ 195 nude
    I have to say i do enjoy the ride tho. Its a bit pro front end buts thats ok for now. I came from a hardtail and it was such a difference that i cant say anything bad.
    I feel heavier riders dont get as plush as a ride as lighter riders get. Peeps say it balances out but.....
    Haha I just bought a carbon giant reign frame yesterday, finally glad I'm getting rid of the breezer... The giant has a 65 head angle and a 1217 wheelbase so this thing is gonna wreck all the downhills

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    The mods are as follows
    Renthal 780 bars w riser
    Renthal apex 50 mm stem
    34t rf chainring
    E13 chain guide
    Elite dropper
    Two lizard skins jumbo
    How about this one? Niner WFO 9 Frame | 150mm CVA travel | 29r | Enduro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinmason View Post
    It turns out my Float can be extended to 160mm so at least my HA won't be any steeper than 68*. Thanks for the response
    >>"Every chance I get!"

horn doggie
    I had an epiphany a couple of months ago when I had my Repack side-by-side with my SB-6c. They both are to have 160mm travel forks, a 34 on the Repack and 36 on the Yeti. The fork on the Breezer just looked shorter than the Yeti's. Didn't know if an optical illusion due to different stanchion diameters or what. So I measured the exposed stanchions on both and what do you know? The Breezer fork barely had 6" of exposed stanchion (~150mm), where the Yeti had 6.5" exposed. I cycled the fork, de-aired/re-aired, still the same. I contacted both Breezer and Fox and they said it is supposed to be a 160 travel fork (as OE).

So Fox had a fix: an upgrade for the 34 Floats to a 2016 internals. It not only recovered all the missing travel, but is as cush as the 36 Float. The fork stands 1/2 taller which equates to about a 1/2 degree of slack in the HT angle. It's small, but it counts and the bike feels better. It isn't SB-6c "better" in the steeps, but it's an improvement.

Ya'll might consider this.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Finally got a new frame and its up and running. Giant reign advanced. 65 degree head angle so the breezer feels like a POS compared to this. Giant also climbs better which is weird. Just glad I got rid of that crap, I hate that bike.

horn doggie
    Update: I hadn't ridden the Repack since I'd picked up the Yeti SB-6c last May. Just back from a ride on the Repack with the new Fox fork upgrade. I tell you, that bike CARVES twisties like a mofo. I like it better than the SB-6c for most types of riding, short of steep and chunky, which is how I used it yesterday near Santa Cruz.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Update: I hadn't ridden the Repack since I'd picked up the Yeti SB-6c last May. Just back from a ride on the Repack with the new Fork upgrade. I tell you, that bike CARVES twisties like a mofo. I like it better than the SB-6c for most types of riding, short of steep and chunky, which is how I used it yesterday near Santa Cruz.
    No way! You actually like that thing????

horn doggie
    Yup. I said so, and for the reasons cited.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    ^
    Agreed! Just picked up the Repack Expert for $1499 (before tax) this past Presidents day and couldn't be happier with its performance so far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160226_174333.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	1053785

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

New question here.

Are there any shorter riders on a Repack? At 5'5", I am curious how the long-ish top tube feels to someone of similar stature. Also, what is the lowest standover measurement over the top tube (this would be much easier if I could find a Small in stock locally...).

Has anyone else gotten the Fox fork upgrade mentioned by scooderdude? Is this something Fox/Breezer is covering under warranty?

mtbr member
    My wife is 5'3" and I bought her a small / 17" Expert level. Her maiden voyage was last weekend and she absolutely loved it. I did put a 40MM stem on before she ever rode it, the top tube and her reach look great. One note, the seat tube has a bend in it by the suspension linkage which limits the seatpost length. At her height that limited the dropper post options. I used a 30.9 KS Supernatural 75mm and it's perfect for her.
    I am on a large Repack Expert and am about 6'0 and a 125MM dropper fit in but is pretty much bottomed out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Aresab, Thanks for the response...that sounds really promising. Any chance you could measure standover at the lowest point in the top tube on the Small?

mtbr member
    Sure, it is 27 7/8" / just a smidge under 28" at the seat brace weld.
    Last edited by Aresab; 03-25-2016 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks! That is a over an inch lower than the quoted standover in Breezer's specs.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure that they measure standover at the lowest point, maybe middle of the top tube? Good luck with your purchase and I'd love to hear what you think of it if you decide to buy it. BTW, the 14 & 15 are identical, the 14' is $100 cheaper on PricePoint. My wife's is a 14' and mine is a 15', the only difference is she has the cooler seat with green lines/lettering.

mtbr member
    Just took a gamble and pulled the trigger on a Repack Expert while PP had them at 1299. Really hope I like this bike! The reviews seemed pretty solid for the most part. I'm coming off a pretty decked out carbon all mountain hardtail so hopefully this goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    So did I.
    We'll see how well it compares to the 2009 specialized pitch it is replacing, some pretty big shoes to fill as that bike had been extremely good to me over the years on every type of terrain...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Just took a gamble and pulled the trigger on a Repack Expert while PP had them at 1299. Really hope I like this bike! The reviews seemed pretty solid for the most part. I'm coming off a pretty decked out carbon all mountain hardtail so hopefully this goes well

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Congrats, Slow, and let us know what you think. They sound like very capable bikes and, at that price, it's practically impossible to be "wrong."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowupfundown View Post
    So did I.
    We'll see how well it compares to the 2009 specialized pitch it is replacing, some pretty big shoes to fill as that bike had been extremely good to me over the years on every type of terrain...
    Right on looking forward to seeing what you think. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow so barring any setbacks I should be riding by Thursday morning

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    ^
    Bought an Expert back in Feb for $1499 and after PP recent price drop to $1299, had Performance bike price match and refund the difference. At either price the bike is definitely a steal and has performed well so far...couldn't be happier!

mtbr member
    Just got back from first ride on the Repack and I gotta say I'm really surprised this bike isn't getting a lot more attention. Just echoing what others have said but it climbs very very well and is buttery smooth on the downhills. I've owned high dollar bikes from some of the "big" brands and I can't think of anything at all they have done any better. Really feel like I got a steal of a deal here!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I am seriously considering the Repack... Any thoughts on whether the Fox suspension on the Pro version is worth the premium over the Expert with the X-Fusion fork and shock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sportscarfan View Post
    I am seriously considering the Repack... Any thoughts on whether the Fox suspension on the Pro version is worth the premium over the Expert with the X-Fusion fork and shock?
    Honestly the Open cartridge Fox fork on the Pro is pretty terrible. My buddy has one on his bike and just sent it to fox for an upgrade. I rode it and compared to my Team Repack with the FIT damper it is just awful. If you want to upgrade the damper to the new one it can be a nice fork. Personally I would go with the XFusion one and maybe upgrade to the HLR damper if you need it. It is much easier to do yourself than the fox and it is supposed to be really nice. Also not crazy about the float rear shock either. It is one of the few things I want to upgrade on the bike. Before you decide also look at the other components. It might be better to upgrade your fork but have the better components of the pro.

mtbr member

2014 Breezer Repack

Quote Originally Posted by NoMountainsBiker View Post
    Honestly the Open cartridge Fox fork on the Pro is pretty terrible. My buddy has one on his bike and just sent it to fox for an upgrade. I rode it and compared to my Team Repack with the FIT damper it is just awful. If you want to upgrade the damper to the new one it can be a nice fork. Personally I would go with the XFusion one and maybe upgrade to the HLR damper if you need it. It is much easier to do yourself than the fox and it is supposed to be really nice. Also not crazy about the float rear shock either. It is one of the few things I want to upgrade on the bike. Before you decide also look at the other components. It might be better to upgrade your fork but have the better components of the pro.
    Honestly that's partly why I went with the expert, I've never been a big fan of the entry level Fox stuff. I will say that (granted only one ride) the X-fusion stuff felt pretty good, and seems to be reviewed much higher than the low end Fox stuff. Not a fan of the SX23 wheels on the expert but I just today scored a set of take off Roval wheels already setup tubeless. Brakes felt fantastic, drivetrain worked great. So long story short if the original question asker has the funds go team issue, if not the expert is an awesome value

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Mine is here and put together, now I just need to wait a week or two for this snow to melt from this freak storm.
    Initial ride around the neighborhood felt fine, hard to tell anything though. I'll definitely swap over my short stem, 70mm is too long.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Mine is here and put together, now I just need to wait a week or two for this snow to melt from this freak storm.
    Initial ride around the neighborhood felt fine, hard to tell anything though. I'll definitely swap over my short stem, 70mm is too long.
    I went with one of these https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=41767 to replace the long stem hat came with it. That was one of the best mods I did to the bike. I also added a set of higher rise 780mm bars. This increased my confidence on the bike dramatically.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I went with one of these https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=41767 to replace the long stem hat came with it. That was one of the best mods I did to the bike. I also added a set of higher rise 780mm bars. This increased my confidence on the bike dramatically.
    heh, that stem is exactly what I have on the pitch that I'm moving to the breezer, that and the 1x conversion plus my dropper and I'll be ready to hit the trails.... when they're dry

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    heh, that stem is exactly what I have on the pitch that I'm moving to the breezer, that and the 1x conversion plus my dropper and I'll be ready to hit the trails.... when they're dry
    I also did a 1x conversion. I went with a 34 Raceface NW since I'm in Florida and don't have a lot of long climbs to deal with. I did have to add a set of Truativ steel bolts with spacers to correct the chainline since mine started as a 2X. I also added an MRP chain guide/bash gaurd combo to make sure the chain stays put. I'm very happy with mine so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Okay guys, I'm probably going to sound like an idiot here but after not riding at all for ten years, I bought a Repack Expert when Price Point had them for $1299 a couple weeks ago. It is currently at my LBS to get set up. My previous bike was a Cannondale M300 rigid which I still have but, it is beat to death.

I did not see this thread before placing my order and I'm a little concerned that the large I bought is going to be too big for me. It was the recommended size. I am 5'11" with a 31" inseam and a very long torso. Should I be concerned or is this probably the right size for me?

I should have the bike back in a couple days so I will know soon enough but I'm curious what those with more experience have to say. Thanks.

Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I think you will be fine. I'm just under 6'2" and ride an XL. There sizing chart seemed to be pretty on in my case. You can always tweek the fit a little. I run a 40mm stem which helped with confidence on jumps and down hill sections. I also adjusted the seat as far back as the marks allow. I think a Medium would have been too small for you so it sounds like you made the right choice to me.

mtbr member
    I'm 5 11 1/2 and the Large Repack Expert is great. I can use a 125MM dropper seatpost (just barely). I swapped the stem for a 60MM as 80MM felt way too long. I really like the Repack Expert, the green/black combo pops and gets a lot of attention while I'm riding. X-Fusion suspension is awesome and very maintainable by a home user with skills. The bike would have been even better with a 2 ring crankset rather than a 3 ring up front but it really is not an issue since I've converted to 1X10 using Saint Shifters, XT 11-speed rear derailleur and, RaceFace Narrow Wide 30T, Sunrace CS-MX3 11-42 10-speed cassette. I saw a lot of fuss in this and other threads about downhill capabilities and glad I disregarded it, the bike is great!

mtbr member
    Same here, 5'11" and a large fits great

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I think you will be fine. I'm just under 6'2" and ride an XL. There sizing chart seemed to be pretty on in my case. You can always tweek the fit a little. I run a 40mm stem which helped with confidence on jumps and down hill sections. I also adjusted the seat as far back as the marks allow. I think a Medium would have been too small for you so it sounds like you made the right choice to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    I'm 5 11 1/2 and the Large Repack Expert is great. I can use a 125MM dropper seatpost (just barely). I swapped the stem for a 60MM as 80MM felt way too long. I really like the Repack Expert, the green/black combo pops and gets a lot of attention while I'm riding. X-Fusion suspension is awesome and very maintainable by a home user with skills. The bike would have been even better with a 2 ring crankset rather than a 3 ring up front but it really is not an issue since I've converted to 1X10 using Saint Shifters, XT 11-speed rear derailleur and, RaceFace Narrow Wide 30T, Sunrace CS-MX3 11-42 10-speed cassette. I saw a lot of fuss in this and other threads about downhill capabilities and glad I disregarded it, the bike is great!
    Same here, 5'11" and a large fits great

Thanks everyone. I read the early posts in this thread about people feeling the bikes ran large and was a little concerned. I'm really looking forward to getting back out and riding. I put less than half a mile on my old Cannondale and could feel it in my legs so, I'm going to have some serious work cut out for me.

Bob

mtbr member
    I saw those blow out deals at Jenson or Pricepoint and wondered if these bikes were still holding up and living up to the early positive reviews.

Glad to hear they are. That's a screaming deal for a new bike with a pretty good spec. And I'll add my 2 cents to the others that recommended the X-Fusion Sweep over the lower level Fox fork. I've been running one on my bike for the past year have been quite impressed. And, like others said, fairly easy to user modify and maintain.

Thinking about switching out to the Roughcut damper now that I'm due for a rebuild anyway, but I really don't have any major complaints with the RL2 damper with the shim mods I have done.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Pics!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Picked it up from my LBS today. I think the fit is pretty good so I'm happy with the size. I put three miles on it (gently rolling dirt road) and my legs were done. Seat probably needs to come up another half inch. Other than that, I'm just going to ride it for a while and get some legs.

Bob

2014  Breezer Repack-20160421_180836-01_zpsegzdmhjm.jpeg

Jan 2008
    Sharp looking bike, Ranger. But, yeah, from that angle, your seat is way slammed for flat/inclined riding.

Really digging the neon green and black.

Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    And I'll add my 2 cents to the others that recommended the X-Fusion Sweep over the lower level Fox fork. I've been running one on my bike for the past year have been quite impressed. And, like others said, fairly easy to user modify and maintain.
    X-Fusion is legit. I've been riding their shocks/forks for over five years now. Great bang for the buck, easy to maintain, and surprisingly lightweight.

If you decide to replace the Sweep, chances are you'll have to cough up quite a bit of money to come up with a fork that performs better AND is lighter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm having a similar struggle with sizing as a few others in this thread. Having narrowed the search to the repack expert or transition covert 29, I've started digging into sizing.

I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and according to pricepoint's sizing chart that puts me right on the edge of L/XL on the repack. I can get a better deal on the older model but it's only available in XL right now. Is anyone else a similar size who can comment on what size they ended up with?

mtbr member
    One consideration may be if you want a dropper post. I'm just shy of 6' and the 30.9 125mm travel XFusion dropper is slammed to the bottom of the seat tube on a size Lrg. The seat tube has a curve in it so it does not go all the way to the BB. On an XL being 2" longer in seat tube you may only be able to use a short dropper or none at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by spipedong View Post
    I'm having a similar struggle with sizing as a few others in this thread. Having narrowed the search to the repack expert or transition covert 29, I've started digging into sizing.

I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and according to pricepoint's sizing chart that puts me right on the edge of L/XL on the repack. I can get a better deal on the older model but it's only available in XL right now. Is anyone else a similar size who can comment on what size they ended up with?
    With a 32" inseam, I think the large would be the best fit. The standover height feels taller than spec would indicate. The XL would probably put a hurtin' on you. My large Repack dwarfs my old Cannondale M300 which is a large as well.

Bob

mtbr member
    I'm fat and out of shape at the moment but I still managed to PR a bunch of downhill segments yesterday on the Repack. Really looking forward to getting back into riding shape and seeing what it can do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerMadeKnives View Post
    With a 32" inseam, I think the large would be the best fit. The standover height feels taller than spec would indicate. The XL would probably put a hurtin' on you. My large Repack dwarfs my old Cannondale M300 which is a large as well.

Bob
    Thanks for the input! I've ordered the repack expert in large and am looking forward to giving it a try.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Sizing
    an FYI for anyone ordering a repack with a dropper post.

I ordered a medium expert and at 5' 10"/11" with long legs it is a perfect fit and my 125mm reverb dropper compliments the bike well.
    My dad, 5' 8" ordered the small size "Pro" model that comes with the 125mm x-fusion dropper, and, with dropper inserted into the frame as much as possible and extended all the way, is way too big for him. In fact, at that seat height it barely fits me and I have long legs for my height. Price point is closed for the weekend so he will reach out to them on Monday and see if they can swap the 125 dropper for the 100mm one which would definitely work. (tested with my wifes 100mm KS lev dropper)
    Its odd because, even according to breezers size chart, he should be on a medium. Breezer recommend people 5'3" - 5'5" on a size small, but there is no way someone that tall (or short) would fit on that frame with that size dropper post, it really needs to be 100mm.

No rides on the bikes yet, still waiting on snow to melt...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Okay, so I've got a few rides on the Repack now and I have already determined that a dropper seatpost in going to be something I want. There is no way I can make even a 75mm post work for me on my large frame without modification. After checking the specs on all available droppers, I am leaning toward cutting 1.25" off the seat tube and then running a 100mm dropper. I think length-wise the bike fits me well but the seat tube/height is tall for my shorter legs. Seems to me, a bike newly designed with this much travel should have had more consideration for dropper posts.

Bob

Jan 2008
    Are you sure about that, Bob? I haven't seen a large frame yet that won't accept at least 100mm of travel.

Cutting down the seat tube seems drastic. I'm sure it would also void your frame warranty; I would avoid doing so. Besides, that would reduce the amount of travel the frame could accommodate.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I think the issue is that not only do the frames run bigger but also the bend in the seat tube that prevents the dropper post being inserted any lower into the frame.

Jan 2008
    I get that, although from the pictures I've seen of the Repack, it seems there's ample clearance above the bend. And wouldn't cutting down the seat tube 1.25" decrease the amount of available insert?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The issue for me is the height of the seat tube plus the height of the extended dropper. A KS 75mm Dropzone is 141mm from the bottom of the collar to the center of the seat rail. Right now, my seat is set 130mm from the top of the seatpost clamp to the center of the rails and I don't think I could go any higher without shorter cranks. There is plenty of room inside the seat tube for the bottom half of a 100mm dropper even after I cut it down.

I'm not going to be too hasty on this. I don't "need" the dropper right away as I'm not near fit enough to start doing anything remotely exciting. If I haven't found another solution in about a month, I will likely cut it.

Bob

Jan 2008
    So is the frame too big for you? Would you have gone with a medium in hindsight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    So is the frame too big for you? Would you have gone with a medium in hindsight?
    Yes, definitely. I just went back and looked at the frame specs and the Repack's seat tube lengths go up in 30mm increments but top tube increases by 10mm. A medium probably would have been best. Still, for me, a medium would have barely given me the ability to run a 100mm dropper...so, maybe even a small.

Bob

Jan 2008
    That's unfortunate.

How tall are you? What is your inseam? Apologies if you've already posted this. I'm lazy. LoL

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    That's unfortunate.

How tall are you? What is your inseam? Apologies if you've already posted this. I'm lazy. LoL
    I am 5' 11" tall and have a 31" inseam. When looking at the sizing recommendations, I even checked +/- one inch on both height and inseam just trying to be safe and it still put me on a large.

Bob

Jan 2008
    Do you have the seat post extended so that your knee is only slightly bent on the pedal downstroke?

Are you an experienced cyclist? I've noticed that some folks who are new to the pastime have a tendency to set their saddles too low. Maximum pedaling efficiency (i.e., more power for less work) is achieved with the saddle relatively high.

Forgive the basic nature of these questions--don't wish to condescend or pander; just checking all boxes. Something doesn't seem right.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am a 32" inseam and the medium is perfect, my dad is a 30" and the small is fine but needs a 100mm dropper. The seat height/ knee bend is set correctly, with the dropper extended he has to hyperextend to his tippy toes on the downstroke. There are slight bends in the frame that you cant really see from the pictures that prevent the dropper from being fully inserted and rest flush with the the top of the seat tube, otherwise it would be a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I rode a lot in 2000-2001 but I wouldn't say I was serious. I was doing maybe 50-60 miles a week over fairly easy terrain. I have not ridden since then except for the few rides I've done on this bike in the last week. I had my LBS set the bike up for me and then I actually raised the seatpost another 1/2" in the middle of my first ride. My knee is locked out with my heel on the pedal. In riding, my knee does not lock out because the pedal is more forward under my foot. I don't mind the questions; I think this is all beneficial for everyone considering this bike.

Bob

mtbr member
    May 2015
    An update on the dropper post issue. Price point states that the kits are as-is and cannot be swapped. He reached out to breezer and they said the same thing. Just kind of odd cause the only way the dropper would work on a small is for someone with a 31" inseam at least. Oh well, guess he will have to sell the dropper on Craigslist and buy a new one.

Jan 2008
    Wow, that really sucks in both cases. Sounds like the Breezer frames run large.

I've followed this thread because I almost bought one back in December but decided to go with something else. I'm 6-flat with a 32-inch inseam, so I've gone with mediums in the past but my new bike is a large and fits well. Seems like I would've regretted a large for the Repack, though.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Wow, they have ridiculously long seat tubes!
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Wow, they have ridiculously long seat tubes!
    I spent some time last night looking up seat tube length on other manufacturers bikes just as a comparison. The Repack's are way larger than the norm on seat tube length and it is worse on the smaller sizes. I would say the large is about 25mm longer than average, the medium is about 35mm larger than average, and the small is around 35mm larger. With the bend in the seat tube, smaller sizes are further compromised because they have a shallow seatpost seating depth.

All of this seems to add up to a bike that is going to be difficult to fit to (proportionally) shorter legged riders...especially, with a dropper seatpost.

Bob

mtbr member
    I know it may not be opportune, but my wife is 5'3" riding a small and we put a KindShock Supernatural/I950 with a 75MM drop. It works perfect for her. Conversely my older bike, a large KHS XCT525 had a real long seat tube and I could only fit a 100mm drop. I am able to use a 125mm on the Repack large. I'm just under 6.0' and both posts (the 100 on my KHS and 125MM on the Repack) were X-Fusion brand which are really long in depth but I like that they are easily rebuilt. Potentially you can look into posts that have a smaller insertion? An example is the KS Supernatural 100mm is 350MM / KS Lev 100MM is 335MM / KS e-Ten is 385MM long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Is the issue with the small frames not being able to insert the dropper fully into the seat tube (i.e. the bottom of the post hits the bend in the seat tube)? Or is it that the seat tube is tall, and even with the collar on the post bottomed out, the post is too tall for many?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sportscarfan View Post
    Is the issue with the small frames not being able to insert the dropper fully into the seat tube (i.e. the bottom of the post hits the bend in the seat tube)? Or is it that the seat tube is tall, and even with the collar on the post bottomed out, the post is too tall for many?
    I believe both are an issue. For me specifically, it is the latter. I have done a lot of careful measuring and I am very likely going to cut 1.25" off the seat tube on my large and then install a 100mm KS Lev.

As an FYI, my large Repack frame has a max seatpost seating depth of 203mm. Looks like most 125mm droppers can seat very close to all the way in.

Bob

Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerMadeKnives View Post
    As an FYI, my large Repack frame has a max seatpost seating depth of 203mm. Looks like most 125mm droppers can seat very close to all the way in.

Bob
    Yeah, at least in your case, I don't think the issue is post insertion. Just seems like the frame is too large for you.

mtbr member

Fox vs Xfusion

I rode a 2016 Repack today and liked it a ton. Was a Pro flavor and had a Pike on the front. Bike was just buttery smooth. I am now thinking I want one and I keep adding it to my cart on Pricepoint, but not pulling the trigger. I am torn between Pro and Expert model. Is the Fox stuff really that bad? I don't like the 3x10 drive train on the expert. I kinda wish I could get a Pro, but have the XFusion shock on it... unless you guys think that 34 float is OK. The Pike was just.... amazing, so I'm pretty sure anything will feel lesser compared to that. I am not sure I want to spring for the the bike with the Pike though, I could have gotten it for 2500 out the door, which is still quite a bit more than what PricePoint has. So long story short, 2015 Pro (with fox and dropper?) or Expert?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I am new to FS bikes so I have no real frame of reference. I have seen it mentioned on a few occasions that the X-Fusion stuff is better than the Fox as equipped on the Repack. For me, the jury is still out on what drivetrain configuration I prefer but for now I'm quite comfortable with the 3x10 and spend 95% of the time on the 32t cog with an occasional jump to the big ring on smooth downhill sections.

One thing to consider is that the Expert does not come tubeless ready (neither rims nor tires). My LBS said maybe I could make it work but they were not willing to mess with it. The jump to the Pro would have been cheaper than the new Stan's wheelset, Schwalbe tires, and rotors I just purchased. The Pro also comes with a dropper seatpost and I-spec shifters.

I can't speak to the quality of the Fox suspension but, I think the Pro is probably the better value. I am really enjoying my Expert though!

Bob

Jan 2008
    I would definitely go the Pro given the spec advantages that Ranger listed--tubeless ready and dropper post would seal it for me.

Triples are easier than doubles to convert to 1x, of course, but it's not impossible. I converted the exact same crankset on my new squishy to 1x. Had to use chainring spacers since my ride also has a stupid BB92 press-fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I would definitely go the Pro given the spec advantages that Ranger listed--tubeless ready and dropper post would seal it for me.

Triples are easier than doubles to convert to 1x, of course, but it's not impossible. I converted the exact same crankset on my new squishy to 1x. Had to use chainring spacers since my ride also has a stupid BB92 press-fit.
    If you get the pro spec budget money to get the fork upgraded to the new FIT4 damper. The Open cartridge Fox forks are truly terrible and need to be upgraded to a better damper. You could also send it to Push or Avalanche and have it upgraded. This will set you back around $300 or so. Make sure to consider that. I am also not a fan of he rear Fox shock but i is liveable if you aren't riding too hard.

mtbr member

2014 Breezer Repack

I know Pike > Xfusion but I'm pretty damn impressed with the Xfusion stuff and I had a Pike on my last ride. I honestly thought I was gonna hate 3x10 after riding 1x11 for a while but honestly I'm kinda diggin the extra climbing gears when needed. Picked up a take of set of Roval wheels and tires already set up tubeless and couldn't be happier now

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been riding the crap out of mine the last couple weeks. A couple observations:

I do wish the seat went further down to make it easier to put weight back over the rear wheel on steeper sections. Moderately tempted to shorten the post an inch or so.

Also, as others have said, I don't lock out the shocks for climbing, this thing just cruises up like it's nothing. I cut some strava segments by up to 15 minutes literally one day to the next with the only difference being the bike.

Never owned a FS bike before, but I also feel that the rear shock blows through its travel too easily, even at the recommended pressure and above. If I roll off a curb sitting on the seat, that pretty much maxes out the travel. I don't ever feel it bottom out so it's probably fine.

Either way, it's a good looking bike, and I've gotten a few compliments on it. I'm collecting parts for 1x10 and tubeless but otherwise will leave it alone.

Here are photos for some reason, even though it looks like every other repack.

Jan 2008
    Beautiful trails. Bike looks sharp, too. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Wish we had more trees here--for most, we have to work (climb a while) to get into the good stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I agree, nice trails and nice to see a Repack out in the wilds. All our local trails have been closed due to rain (DFW). I was getting pretty tired of riding the farm roads around my house so I have started setting up a singletrack loop on our acreage. It's open pasture with no more than 30-40 feet of total ascending but, it has some challenges. I've got some sections of loose rock and some tight switchbacks and I am thinking about getting the tractor out and building a couple dirt berms. Overall length is about .8mi but my legs are hammered after one loop so it is useful...for now.

I've also been working on my basic skills. I can get it off the ground in a bunny hop just enough to clear a 2x4 laid flat and I can ride down the length of the same 6 foot board pretty consistently. Still having trouble balancing while stopped but practicing every day. Wheelies are hit and miss ...mostly miss.

I already mentioned I have new wheels and tires for it but have not got around to doing anything with them yet. I also ordered a KS eTen 100mm remote dropper. It should be here tomorrow. I will be cutting the seat tube to make it work. I'll post pics.

Overall, I am really into this bike and having a great time. Can't wait to finally get it out onto some of the local trails.

Bob

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I've now gotten a few rides under my belt on our local, most technical trails. Initial impressions are very good. The bike does climb very well and I feel like I have alot of control over the front end, both navigating tight switchbacks and getting up and over technical steps, the front end is very controllable side to side and up and down.

I put my 40mm stem and have already converted to 1x with a 30t raceface, they both compliment the bike and geometry. Is this bike a downhill monster? no. Is it a do it all bike? absolutely, 1-3 foot drops are no issue, long jagged rock gardens, the bike flows right through them. I'm not having the rear shock bottom out issue that some are reporting but I'm lightish at 160. I am very pleased with the x-fusion fork, coming from a Pike this is in the same ballpark IMO.

The bike isnt light, but its not all that heavy either, about where I expect a bike of this travel. The 1x conversion helped, still need to install the dropper and go tubeless which will be easy.
    One thing I've noticed, as has someone else with this bike, is that it really "pops" off jumps, I'm getting more air than I used to on the same trails.
    My biggest issue right now is that I am in bad shape, this winter was not kind to me...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone else having a helluva time doing tubeless setup on the stock wheels and tires (Expert build)? I've taped the rims, used sealant, tons of soapy water, using a compressor and I'm not even coming close to getting the beads to seat. Tired of getting pinch flats on the rear with tubes but a tubeless ready wheel set and tires aren't in the budget this season so I really need to get these to work. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Well, either my tape job sucks or WEB Vigilantes are the most porous tires known to man. Maybe both. Went to air them up this evening with tubes to take a quick ride and found out that my rear tube was leaking. Even with bead seated, it was going completely flat in less than 5 minutes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Totally eyeballing one of these. Sold my 2014 Intense Tracer 275 Foundation build so I could buy a new 2015 Focus Cayo Disc 4.0 road bike, got such a good deal I have $500 in my pocket still from that swap and should get $600-ish from selling my current road bike.

Wondering if I should buy now from Pricepoint ($1402) or wait until Memorial day hoping that it drops another $100 or so?

In case your wondering why I would sell my Intense (Got $2000 for it while I paid not a ton more than that for it almost two years ago). I loved the bike, but I road ride about 75-80% now days so I wanted to upgrade there more. I was content to maybe pick up something FS that was decently used for $1000-1100, but shoot if PP has these new for $1299 again, it seems like to good a deal to pass up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
    Anyone else having a helluva time doing tubeless setup on the stock wheels and tires (Expert build)? I've taped the rims, used sealant, tons of soapy water, using a compressor and I'm not even coming close to getting the beads to seat. Tired of getting pinch flats on the rear with tubes but a tubeless ready wheel set and tires aren't in the budget this season so I really need to get these to work. Any suggestions?
    Are you using anything other than the rim tape to seal it? Have you tried putting on more rim tape? thicker tape would push the tire more into the bead or something like that

Stan's makes some sleeves that are basically half-tubes with a valve that make it pretty easy for the tire to seat.

Or you could take an existing tube, inbed it, and slice it down the middle and put the tire over that. There's a youtube vid out there somewhere of that process. tubes are cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    This morning I cut down my seat tube. If I had bought a medium, instead of the recommended large, I would not have had to do this. Since I got the bike from Pricepoint, had my LBS assemble it, and put miles on it before deciding that I wanted a dropper seatpost, returning it was not an option. Cutting the seat tube down was the only way for me to be able to fit a dropper on a large frame with my 31 inch inseam. It was not very hard to cut down.

First step was to see how much tube I needed to keep for the seatpost clamp to still fit. I measured the depth of the clamp to the top lip.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_085025_zpseduvw29p.jpg

Next I measured up from the top of the weld and added a couple millimeters as a safety margin.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_085129_zpsbeebg6wt.jpg

I checked where my cut line would lay all the way around the tube.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_085805_zpsohih5mlx.jpg

I placed a strip of painters tape around the tube to protect the paint while cutting. I then marked my line on the tape.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_090905_zpsoleua0du.jpg

I then cut the tube with...a coping saw! I had actually planned to use one of my three different sized tubing cutters but, this tube fell right in between the capacity of my medium and large cutters. I decided on the coping saw instead of a hacksaw because the teeth don't have any set and it therefore cuts a very thin, straight line. I also installed the blade to cut on the pull stroke which is standard for coping saws.

I didn't get a pic of actual cutting because it required both hands. I should mention that I didn't just cut straight through the tube; I cut my way around the tube, carefully following the line.

After the tube was cut I cleaned up the top with a large vixen file. These are not a file everybody will have but, they produce an exceptionally clean cut in aluminium.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_093225_001_zpsk9ozpaqq.jpg

Cleaned up the inside edge with a small half-round file.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_093344_zpsmsue9xbq.jpg

Clamp fits cleanly. Slotting next.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_094103_zpsoy8lf7jf.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I don't have a bicycle work stand so, I dropped the wheels and clamped the frame in a vise. I placed a strip of tape to protect the paint and laid out the slot and drilled hole location.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_094815_zpsvtkzgafd.jpg

I drilled the hole in two stages, first with a 1/8" pilot and then opening it up with a 1/4". I then cut the slot with an air powered cutoff tool and a 1/8" thick disc.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_100019_zpsgzeoci5j.jpg

Pretty clean but, if I had to send it to the factory for warranty work, they might figure out something was different.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_100151_zpswwhptgxp.jpg

Ritchey seatpost installed.

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_101002_zpscbymhf5w.jpg

2014  Breezer Repack-20160512_101011_zpsmtr94nzz.jpg

After doing all this, I went to install my new KS eTen dropper and found that the tube was way too long. Apparently, the eTen bottom tube is about 40mm longer than every other 100mm dropper. I sent it back to Jenson and will likely order a Lev.

Bob

Jan 2008
    You're a brave man, Bob. Looks like you know what you're doing, though. Hats off.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dave785 View Post
    Are you using anything other than the rim tape to seal it? Have you tried putting on more rim tape? thicker tape would push the tire more into the bead or something like that

Stan's makes some sleeves that are basically half-tubes with a valve that make it pretty easy for the tire to seat.

Or you could take an existing tube, inbed it, and slice it down the middle and put the tire over that. There's a youtube vid out there somewhere of that process. tubes are cheap.
    Nothing but tape. I'm going to try re-taping it tonight and I'll probably do two full wraps. The first time I just did about a 4" overlap at the valve stem. If that doesn't work, I'll try the tube. In the meantime, I'm probably going to start keeping an eye out on pricepoint and pinkbike classifieds for a true tubeless ready wheelset. It'd ha r to be a screaming deal though. More likely I'll wait and try to take advantage of season ending clearance deals once snowboarding season starts back up.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Pretty sweet move chopping down the tube like that. I had the LBS cut down my seat post to the bare minimum length for my setup and I still wish I could slam the seat lower for downhills. That bend in the tube really limits your ability to slam the seat.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've now gotten a few rides under my belt on our local, most technical trails. Initial impressions are very good. The bike does climb very well and I feel like I have alot of control over the front end, both navigating tight switchbacks and getting up and over technical steps, the front end is very controllable side to side and up and down.

I put my 40mm stem and have already converted to 1x with a 30t raceface, they both compliment the bike and geometry. Is this bike a downhill monster? no. Is it a do it all bike? absolutely, 1-3 foot drops are no issue, long jagged rock gardens, the bike flows right through them. I'm not having the rear shock bottom out issue that some are reporting but I'm lightish at 160. I am very pleased with the x-fusion fork, coming from a Pike this is in the same ballpark IMO.

The bike isnt light, but its not all that heavy either, about where I expect a bike of this travel. The 1x conversion helped, still need to install the dropper and go tubeless which will be easy.
    One thing I've noticed, as has someone else with this bike, is that it really "pops" off jumps, I'm getting more air than I used to on the same trails.
    My biggest issue right now is that I am in bad shape, this winter was not kind to me...
    Agree with all of this. The only trail bike I've personally ridden that gets in the air easier is the Santa Cruz 5010 but the Repack climbs way better. It takes some yoga poses to try to keep the 5010's front end grounded on technical climbs.

mtbr member
    Anyone that went from 3x to 1x feel like the weight loss was significant? I'm kinda liking the 3x at the moment but every once in a while the weight weenie in me comes out with ideas, and that's one of them. Already got a lighter wheelset tubeless which was great.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Spoke with Price Point yesterday and they said they only had 3 Mediums left on the Repack Expert, so I broke down and ordered mine up. Should have it hopefully by the end next week. Cannot wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    You're a brave man, Bob. Looks like you know what you're doing, though. Hats off.
    Quote Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
    Pretty sweet move chopping down the tube like that...
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting a dropper on it.

Anyone that went from 3x to 1x feel like the weight loss was significant? I'm kinda liking the 3x at the moment but every once in a while the weight weenie in me comes out with ideas, and that's one of them. Already got a lighter wheelset tubeless which was great.
    I can't imagine it would feel like a significant (or even noticeable) reduction. I am probably going to go 1x at some point but looking at the weight savings more as an offset to the added weight of the dropper seatpost. After doing the math though, it looks like my tubeless setup is going to drop about 1485gr total. I currently also have 540gr flat pedals so I can certainly lose some weight there. Beyond that, I think the ROI becomes quite a bit lower. Much cheaper for me to lose weight.

Bob

mtbr member
    I converted mine and my wife's to 1X using the Sunrace 11/42 cassette, RaceFace Narrow wide. I also used a pair of SLX M660 cranks on mine from my other bike. She has a Goatlink on the rear derailleur and I have an 11-speed XT (which works just fine 10-speed). I am also using a Saint shifter. We both have droppers, we had to use a KS75mm on her bike based on size. I am a fan of X-Fusion, they are easily rebuilt at home and their support is great. I am using a 30.9 Hilo SL. Here is a pic earlier this year on the maiden voyage.

2014  Breezer Repack-imag00157.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    I converted mine and my wife's to 1X using the Sunrace 11/42 cassette, RaceFace Narrow wide. I also used a pair of SLX M660 cranks on mine from my other bike. She has a Goatlink on the rear derailleur and I have an 11-speed XT (which works just fine 10-speed). I am also using a Saint shifter. We both have droppers, we had to use a KS75mm on her bike based on size. I am a fan of X-Fusion, they are easily rebuilt at home and their support is great. I am using a 30.9 Hilo SL. Here is a pic earlier this year on the maiden voyage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG00157.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	374.6 KB 
ID:	1070472
    Nice! Do you have any back pedaling issues on either setup?

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast