Thread: 2013 rumor

www.EpicCyclist.com

2013 rumor

from here looks promising if true.
    "If our sources can be believed (and they've come through in the past) Fox will unveil a 650b fork in 2013. Rumors have been swirling for some time that a large bike maker has plans to offer a 650b bike and Fox’s move would seem to substantiate that: There’s no way Fox would jump into those waters without demand from a major bike supplier. The grapevine was buzzing that it might be either Specialized or Scott. Specialized told me flat out that they are not working on a 650b model. That leaves Scott and the official I spoke with there said only, "No comment." Hmmm."

mtbr member
    Jamis could also be barking up their tree. Fox is small enough to make it worthwhile. I know a lot of the $$ in the Jamis 650b bikes is in the forks. White forks aren't cheap.

Thanks for the info! I have confirmed no 650b from Spec'd as well, so at least they are consistent.

mk

mtbr member
    I keep noticing tire choice and forks is a excuse used to pass on the 650. I'm from the smoke, farmer, etc days. Even the limited B tires are awsome IMO compared. I also must suck because I can't remember ever saying, If I had such & such tire my ride would be better or faster. The forks are out there too. I'm saving for a X-fusion, something not white.

I predict B in ten years will be very very popular.

My dream bike:::: Cannondale scalpel 650B with a Betty light. OMG.

Blah Blah over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Why is everyone so concerned about FOX and if they make a fork for the 650B. Brainwashing I suppose...I felt the same way until I bought an X FUSION fork...2 in fact. They are just as good, if not better and a whole helluva lot cheaper/lighter than the FOX would be, even though the current FOX forks fit 650B anyways. I've been running the latest one, the new VELVET RL for well over a year and it's been flawless....

Do we really need FOX to "validate" the 650B platform by making a fork.....it seems many will say that once FOX makes a fork, "it's legit!!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    Why is everyone so concerned about FOX and if they make a fork for the 650B. Brainwashing I suppose...I felt the same way until I bought an X FUSION fork...2 in fact. They are just as good, if not better and a whole helluva lot cheaper/lighter than the FOX would be, even though the current FOX forks fit 650B anyways. I've been running the latest one, the new VELVET RL for well over a year and it's been flawless....

Do we really need FOX to "validate" the 650B platform by making a fork.....it seems many will say that once FOX makes a fork, "it's legit!!"

I would suspect that most people riding 650b bikes have built/cobbled them together themselves. Most riders just want to go to the shop and buy a complete bike. They don't want to mess around with measuring clearances, test fittings, wondering if something is really going to fit or work. The reason this is big news is not just for the fork itself, but for the fact that it means some big players must be ready to jump into the 650b market. And ultimately that is good for all of us. This wheelsize cannot survive as a DIY thing. Only if it hits the mainstream will it survive.

So the bottom line is if Fox makes a fork, it means there are going to be more mass marketed 650b bikes. More bikes means more tires, rims and forks. So it is big news, even if it doesn't neccessarily interest us early adopters. I personally would love to not have to hunt for tires and rims. I don't remember how long I had to wait for Stan to make more 355 rims so I could get another. It took me 6 months of searching to finally get some Racing Ralphs. But it also means I don't have to worry about voiding the warranty on my $800 Fox fork by putting a 650b wheel in it, which I technically already have done. I bought a Fox because I wanted a terralogic fork.

On a side note, an interesting question would be why don't manufacturers want to use X-fusion forks and are going to Fox. I would guess because most people associate Fox with being the best, whereas many people know very little about X-Fusion.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    LJSMITH "Most riders just want to go to the shop and buy a complete bike. They don't want to mess around with measuring clearances, test fittings, wondering if something is really going to fit or work."

Thats a shame, tinkering, fitting, and experimenting is half the fun......

The Fox thing is silly as their forks work already. All they really have to do is change their liabilty stance.

30-ton War Machine

Nope, X-fusion is as good as it gets pedal man. The customer service is ridiculously exceptional, the products are SICK. I can't say enough good things about the guys at X-fusion! Pee on Fox and SRAM.

mtbr member

It is all marketing. Product managers know that Fox has done half the marking for them if they spec one of there forks. Fox brand recognition helps them sell bikes.

The LBS employee does not have to sell the buyer on the merits of a Fox fork. It is a known quantity that is associated with quality. This may not be as much an issue for the educated bike geek that lives, eats and breaths bikes, but for the average mtb'er, it matters.

The X-Fusion forks may be superior, but they have some catching up to do re: marketing and branding.

The one knock I do have against the Velvet is that you 'have to' lower the travel to make it 650b compatible...I didn't need to do anything with my Fox. Also, I think they have a hole in there line-up between the Velvet and Vengence. Hopefully, this is address with the 2012 models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post

The Fox thing is silly as their forks work already. All they really have to do is change their liabilty stance.

I read in another thread that Fox forks do not meet product safety standards for fork arch/crown clearance with a 650b wheel/tire, so it's not just Fox being difficult about liability, FWIW.

I think many folks think Fox=quality and simply don't care to ride anything else, so having a Fox product available for 650b will do a lot to raise consumer confidence and interest. I personally would buy another White Bros fork before I'd buy a Fox--I like both my Fluid and Magic better than the TALAS I used to have and the Loop looks even better still...

...I have that to thank 650b for if nothing else--I would have never tried White Bros forks without basically coming down to having few other options...

mtbr member
    Xfusion is getting a lot more OEM spec than ever before. You'll see even more in the near future. It's not just marketing. Product managers need quality product in volume. They'll 'build a brand' if they have to. Spec'd has been working with Xfusion to improve the product so they can spec the product. With the promise of additional OEM spec, Xfusion has improved their product. It's chicken and egg.

I think people are stoked about Fox because it's ANOTHER supporter of 650b. We are all waiting for the tipping point. Fox brings that one step closer. Fox doesn't really have a full product line in terms of price point so that means there will have to be more mid- to high-end 650b product coming if they are talking about production. They would never (yes, I'm saying 'never') build the product strictly for aftermarket, but would do so in a minute for an OEM.

So, this is good news, if you like Fox or not.

mk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Xfusion is getting a lot more OEM spec than ever before. You'll see even more in the near future. It's not just marketing. Product managers need quality product in volume. They'll 'build a brand' if they have to. Spec'd has been working with Xfusion to improve the product so they can spec the product. With the promise of additional OEM spec, Xfusion has improved their product. It's chicken and egg.

X-Fusion manufactured the Specialized forks, but they were labeled as Specialized.

They may be getting more OEM spec, and deservedly so, but they still have nowhere near the rep or brand identity Fox has earned.

In other words, at the moment, it is easier to sell a $5000 trail bike with a Fox 36 than a Vengence...people aren't ready or willing to invest in that kind of coin on a 'new' brand.

Think of all the cost and energy bike companies use towards developing new colors and graphics each model year. Marketing is a huge part of selling bikes. It's silly, but then so is putting an XT rd on a bike that is otherwise deore or below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    X-Fusion manufactured the Specialized forks, but they were labeled as Specialized.

They may be getting more OEM spec, and deservedly so, but they still have nowhere near the rep or brand identity Fox has earned.

In other words, at the moment, it is easier to sell a $5000 trail bike with a Fox 36 than a Vengence...people aren't ready or willing to invest in that kind of coin on a 'new' brand.

Think of all the cost and energy bike companies use towards developing new colors and graphics each model year. Marketing is a huge part of selling bikes. It's silly, but then so is putting an XT rd on a bike that is otherwise deore or below.

One thing to keep in mind is that Specializeds first use of X-Fusion was a complete disaster. They made the Specialized brain shocks in 2008 and 2009, and these shocks were always failing and completely unreliable. There are horror stories about these things in the Specialized forum from a few years back. So much so that they switched back to Fox in 2010.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I read in another thread that Fox forks do not meet product safety standards for fork arch/crown clearance with a 650b wheel/tire, so it's not just Fox being difficult about liability, FWIW.
    On that note, the X-Fusion Velvet technically requires a shim for 650b wheels to reduce the travel in order for the wheel to clear the crown - apparently to give enough margin to make their insurance company happy. I run a 100mm Velvet on my hardtail, with NeoMoto 2.1 tres. Instead of taking the fork apart to install a shim, I let all the air out to see if the wheel would clear the crown out of ther box. It would, with enough space (1/4" ) to satisfy my personal risk level. (As in when was the last time you blew a both seals on your forks so that the uppers compressed all the way) past the crown?

I think many folks think Fox=quality and simply don't care to ride anything else, so having a Fox product available for 650b will do a lot to raise consumer confidence and interest. I personally would buy another White Bros fork before I'd buy a Fox--I like both my Fluid and Magic better than the TALAS I used to have and the Loop looks even better still...
    +1 on the Fluid, which I run on my Jamis B2 (2010 eidiotn).

..I have that to thank 650b for if nothing else--I would have never tried White Bros forks without basically coming down to having few other options...[/QUOTE]

+1
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    All valid responses....I do understand the whole "FOX thing".....I hope it does come to fruition,but I think it's over hyped to a certain extent. There are plenty of choices now for rims/wheels/tires/frames than there was before.......I have people ask me all the time about my Velvet RL.....I always give them great reviews because that's what I have experienced.

Great product, great customer service and most of all a great price point.....cha-ching.

dwt
    mtbr member
    All valid responses....I do understand the whole "FOX thing".....I hope it does come to fruition,but I think it's over hyped to a certain extent. There are plenty of choices now for rims/wheels/tires/frames than there was before.......I have people ask me all the time about my Velvet RL.....I always give them great reviews because that's what I have experienced.

Great product, great customer service and most of all a great price point.....cha-ching.
    All true. I bought my Velvet largely because it was cheaper new retail than any used Fox fork on eBay from the year 2008 forward.

But to put it into perspective: Th effect on the bike industry for a company like Jamis to go all in with 650b trailbikes using White Bros forks (no knock on th quality of either) is not even close to that of a company with the brand recognition and market share of Speciailzed to start selling 650b's with forks with the brand recognition of Fox. That could be game changing.

From what we've heard, it looks like it will be Scott - not Specialized. So the effect will be less dramatic. But not insignificant. I do hope that Scott can figure out from the get go that a Scale 650b is not the place to make a huge impact , because 29 owns that market (unless it was like a full 4 lbs lighter). Maybe also a featherweight Spark 650b could make inroads in the x-c racing market. BUt what they REALLY SHOULD put out is Genius 50s and 60s -MAYBE even a Voltage - because long travel AM is where 650b could really excel and make some sales right away
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

AZ
    banned
    All valid responses....I do understand the whole "FOX thing".....I hope it does come to fruition,but I think it's over hyped to a certain extent.

It's all hype, hype sells product. More available product in a niche sells more niche product. More niche product means competition, competition means better products. Fox in the arena is win/win. My two cents.