2012 Giant Reign or Reign X as 650b...- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

2012 Giant Reign or Reign X as 650b...

Does anyone on here have actual, real life experience seeing either of these set up for 650b? Pulling the trigger on one or the other, but can't quite decide. I have a feeling this will be a two- year 'interim' bike while everyone settles in on the effective dedicated 650 designs.
    Anyone?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Oh, man, thanks. It's all in there. So, should I go X or no X? That is the question...(not one anyone else can answer, it was rhetorical!)

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If the lower linkage will not break I will go for X for sure. Reign is all fine if you can get rid of chain drop problem.
    Last edited by drummercat; 05-05-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Are you addressing 2012 models? I believe they are a but different. I will be running a chain guide of some kind no matter what.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Only Reign X can be installed with a chan guide. Both have press fit BB and Reign doesnt have iscg tabs. so there is basically no way to put on standard chain guides, Reign X can have chain guide. but the Reign X has weak lower linkage from 2010 to 2011, lot of guys broke their lower linkages..........not sure about 2012 models.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    lots of broken links... I broke one, but the replacement is version 2.0 for 2010 and holding strong. lots of guys that are heavier break the 2.0's as well... so they have moved onto version 3.0.

if you do get an X and have link issues, you can always buy a regular reign link and saw off the ISCG tab. I use a front derailleur for my chain guide duties and have NEVER dropped a chain yet.

mtbr member
    I am in the same spot. Was looking at the Tallboy LTC, the Carbine and the Satori and now considering a new 2013 Reign whenever they become available. There is some decent rumor that they are going ot be offering a carbon version and 142 x 12 and I have a few friends running 650b on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i like my '11 plain reign with 650b rear and 29 front. but as usual, always looking to try something different so this morning i started setting it up back to 650b front/26 rear...

No Stranger to danger....
    if you go n look in the giant forums people are still breaking the link on their 2012 reign x, the new 2013 standard reign has new tabs to set it up for 2 speed, i have a standard 2012 reign, its a great bike n great bang for the buck, i stayed away from the reign x after reading hundreds of complaints over broken lower links, its poor form from giant, they could do better.....

Members who have read this thread: 0