mtbr member

2008 C'dale Rush w/ 2.1 Neos!

I have this wheelset (Stans rims, XT hubs) kicking around, waiting on my custom 650b due soon, and with the arrival last week of my 2.1 Neos, I just had to pop them into the Rush and see how they fit. Rainy all day today so a perfect day for such projects! Tomorrow I'll take it out and see how they roll...

Clearance at rear with brace removed:

And at front with Fox R fork:

Now I have to install the brake rotors and computer magnet, and re-calibrate the computer and I'm set!

mtbr member
    Well, I took the 650b'd Rush out yesterday--It was a good ride--I suffered in the 90+ heat, but I got a good impression of both the wheelsize and the Pacenti tire design.

The Rush's handling was always a bit nervous for me with 26" wheels--I found myself having to make steering corrections and adjust lines more often than I'd like and it was easy to get off track when I got tired or distracted. At slow speeds, it would feel quite tippy and unstable. With the 650b wheels, the bike was definitely more secure and settled, not slow or ponderous but much more precise and relaxed. I could pick a line through a curve or a rocky section and the bike would track it very accurately. I could also easily correct a line in mid-turn if I needed to, without the bike getting squirrelly and needing to be wrestled back in line. I could come to a near stop (actually did stop briefly once or twice--trackstand!) and the bike would just settle and wait for me--no sawing at the bars or weight shifts required!

Over roots and small bumps, the ride was notably improved. The Rush isn't a plush bike in any case, but I could tell the bigger wheels smoothed things out a bit.

The tires felt fast and secure--nice! The rear gripped very well climbing on loose, gravelly stuff and over roots. It grabbed well when braking and the bike cornered very securely. It certainly tracked better through sand than with 26" tires--it would still swim and wallow a bit in deep sand if I wasn't careful about my weight placement and angle of attack, but if I came into a sandy patch with my weight back it would roll right through, and in loose sandy corners it would drift in a very controlled fashion and drop right into the groove. I actually found myself enjoying a bit of two-wheel drift in some corners whereas before I would've been feeling out of control in this situation. It's simply a better bike (for me at least) with these wheels!

The 2.1 NeoMoto felt very similar up front to the 2.3--secure and hooked up. I think I prefer it's rounder profile for cornering on hardpack but overall it felt about the same. Maybe a trifle faster due to the lighter weight and lower knobs but the 2.3 never really felt slow to me, so this is a modest difference at best. I should stick the 2.3 on the front of the Rush for a fair test--it's on the Rawland right now and the bikes are quite different...

The only downside I found was a bit more "zzzzzinnnggg," rotor contact in the back, due I suspect to the swingarm brace being removed and/or the larger lever of the bigger wheel or a combination of the two. Not a huge deal, but enough that I will likely sell this bike eventually with 26" wheels and buy a dedicated 650b full suspension. Any other Converted Rush riders encountered this?

mtbr member
    I suspect it has to do with the "lightened" and "braced" swing arm on the 08 and up Rush. I didn't have any problems with my non braced/ beefier yet supposedly less stiff 07 swing arm. No zinging to speak off with 160mm rear rotor and 180lbs rider.

Members who have read this thread: 0