mtbr member
    Aug 2018

2.6" 27.5 bikes out there?

I was all about a new Plus hardtail, but now I might be leaning toward one with 2.6" tires (I know, 1/5 of an inch...). What's out there? What do you love? Budget $1,500-$3,000.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I got a specialized stumpjumper 2019 27.5 medium. It comes stock with 2.6 inchers, but they say it can take up to 3.0 inches, which I don't think it can, maybe 2.8 inchers.

Anyways I highly recommend it, although the comp will be right at your 3000 mark.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    2.6 Nobby Nic works well on the 650b version of the Giant Trance (mine's a 2014 if it matters). If you're trying to hit a pricepoint, there's always used.

mtbr member
    Still looking for a hardtail? Are you looking for something more on the XC side of things or the more aggressive side?

I've been eyeing the Nukeproof Scout this year. Currently out of stock, but their top end model is a really good spec.

A little higher end would be a Chromag build from JensonUSA, like the Wideangle SLX or Wideangle XT

I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there, but those are a couple I have been dreaming of

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I've heard good things about the canyon spectral. Great price point, awesome reviews, though as with anything do some research as I feel like I've heard mention of frame issues with the aluminum version.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing most boost frames will now take 2.6" tires. I have a 2016 SB5c that takes the 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nic on a 35mm inner rim, and my wife's 2017 boost version would take a 2.8 (she's running 29mm rims).

2.6" seems to be the sweet spot for me.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 08-21-2018 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yea, come to think of it I just ordered a 30mm id wheelset for my release and was looking at 2.5-2.6" tires for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    I've heard good things about the canyon spectral. Great price point, awesome reviews, though as with anything do some research as I feel like I've heard mention of frame issues with the aluminum version.
    There was a weld issue on the aluminum chainstays which is still being resolved via mailing out new 'stays. (Also affects the carbon front + alu. rear triangle models). The problematic weld did not crack on all the bikes, but you can read about a few that did in the Canyon forum. It's possible that new orders will not be affected, but availability may be low.

Sounds like the OP wants a hard tail though.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnmtb View Post
    I was all about a new Plus hardtail, but now I might be leaning toward one with 2.6" tires (I know, 1/5 of an inch...). What's out there? What do you love? Budget $1,500-$3,000.
    Trance 2 fits budget @ $2850. If too much travel you can beef up the rear tire and run a 2.6 up front on the Anthem 2 @ same price point.

Spectral 6.0 as mentioned(has my interest but watching the breakage posts). Jeffsy will fit them as well I believe.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....