1st Bike and Ride! - Giant Talon 2!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

1st Bike and Ride! - Giant Talon 2!

The last time I had a bike was 1994 and the day I got my drivers license I threw the bike in the lake and never looked back, haha. Flash forward and I'm looking for something fun to do that won't necessarily feel like getting on a treadmill for an hour. I watched a ton of videos and there are lots of trails around me.

Went to the local bike shop and tested a couple bikes and walked out with the Giant Talon 2, a cage and water bottle, upgraded pedals, padded shorts, and a helmet. I ordered a pump/repair kit and multi tool online.

I had an appointment to drop my truck off for service so I took the opportunity to ride my bike home for the 1st time. It was only 4 miles and mostly on a paved rail trail but it was great. I'm sooo out of shape... It's going to be a rough couple weeks but I'm going to keep at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st Bike and Ride! - Giant Talon 2!-bike.jpg  

Bikesexual
    Nice! Congrats!

You chose correctly, orange is the fastest color.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I like biking because it isn't tough on your knees like running. I can get out and bike hard every day of the week.

Hi There!
    Ride on brother, ride on!
    NTFTC

jcd's best friend
    Congrats on the bike! My buddy has been mountain biking for years and he still rocks a really old Giant Talon. He has beaten the bike to death on some of the craziest trails here in WA. He also rode some enduro lines with it and the bike is still kicking! He has yet to find a way to destroy it. He also jumps the bike off everything to include tabletops. It still rides perfect.

I'm almost scared to see what he can do on his next bike he plans to purchase: a Diamondback Release!
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

the half breed devil
    looks like you made a good decision to get you back into things! i have a friend looking for a first MTB, i'll point her this way!

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Did a 4 mile ride around my neighborhood this afternoon. Man, I am really out of shape but at least I did it. I did a track with my garmin watch so I'll do this little loop for a week and see if I can start to improve.

On another note, any recommendations for some kind of little bag to keep my phone and license in?

mtbr member
    Rogue Panda Alamo

Co Springs
    You can get seat bags just big enough or bigger, frame bags and bar bags, stuff sacks etc... Search bags and bikes with them pictured and think ahead to other or future needs to get the best for your needs. Congrats! I rode Sunday with a buddies on a 15 or 16 Talon 2. Each ride will feel just a bit easier.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    You can get seat bags just big enough or bigger, frame bags and bar bags, stuff sacks etc... Search bags and bikes with them pictured and think ahead to other or future needs to get the best for your needs. Congrats! I rode Sunday with a buddies on a 15 or 16 Talon 2. Each ride will feel just a bit easier.
    He might not have room for a frame bag in the triangle? here are a couple of ideas, Amazon has some too for cheaper, I have used the Amazon ones.

https://www.jensonusa.com/TIMBUK2-Goody-Box-Stem-Bag-12

https://www.amazon.com/Roswheel-Bicy...ateway&sr=8-44
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by TTA89 View Post
    Did a 4 mile ride around my neighborhood this afternoon. Man, I am really out of shape but at least I did it. I did a track with my garmin watch so I'll do this little loop for a week and see if I can start to improve.

On another note, any recommendations for some kind of little bag to keep my phone and license in?
    Great to hear you got out there. I remember when I could barely ride 5 miles. Years later, it's my warmup! Give it time and your body will catch up to your activities! Just don't let it discourage you from getting out there and riding.

As for bags, I use 2 different ones. I use a Dakine Hot Laps 2L bag for park rides and local trails. I also have an Osprey Raptor 14 bag that I use for longer adventures. It carries a lot of stuff and holds 3L of water. It was designed for mountain biking which is great! It's a bit more expensive but worth it if you go on longer excursions. The Raptor bag is on sale for $84 (MSRP $140) through Osprey's website.

Dakine bag: https://www.rei.com/product/126494/d...s-2l-waistpack
    Osprey bag: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...-RAPTOR14.html

Cycologist
    Wait'll you hit an actual mtb trail, that's when the fun really begins!

Also the pain: learn to embrace the pain, it's part of the fun.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Co Springs
    If it Must be a frame bag, they are a bit persnickety on size and shapes per bike application.
    Just suggesting looking at the tons of options and images that give some good basics. These other minimal size goodie bags are perfect for lesser carry needs and other placement.
    * Ideally, you cut out a cardboard template as per measurements to line up the frame to a particular bag candidate.

With a frame bag, consideration for losing or moving cage mount water bottle options is a common thing. I moved to cages on the forks and one underside downtube but in reality, my frame bag can hold a 100 oz bladder plus stuff I want to carry. I maximized things for overnight camp / multi-day carry plans.

For frames- Blackburn makes two or 3 sizes (outpost) and the lower triangle part can stay closed to keep it more rectangle or zipped open to utilize the entire tri section.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/blackburn-outpost-frame-bag?v=sm00000&adl=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwvuzkBRAhEiwA9E3F UiZPz0ZNDQeGLmpuABZjARpYAiSHVlxNB49gLdai5ZbLcNlaxM uBGBoCnYoQAvD_BwE

" carry on !! "
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Good looking bike. Welcome to the club. Here Is another small Hydro Battery you could look at to start with. On sale for $30 and has a pouch to hold keys, cell etc...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Camelbak-Classic-Pack
    2019 Kona Honzo
    SOLD - 2018 Specialized Pitch Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I did another 4 miles around my neighborhood after lunch and then I did another 4 miles to pickup my truck at the dealer this afternoon. I didn't have to stop and rest on either ride. Woo Hoo!

I also jumped off my 1st curb ha ha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Vaude Hyper 14+3 liter is a good deal in a backpack. Very breathable suspension back panel. $64 at Chainreactioncycles but I don't suggest black if ever riding on a street.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Great bike choice! I picked up a Giant Talon 3 a few weeks ago (the silver one). My last bike was a 2001-era Giant NRS 1, but I sold it about four years ago since the fork and shock were both leaking and I couldn't find reasonably-priced rebuild parts.

Now I'm saving for a Trance 3...

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    1st Bike and Ride! - Giant Talon 2!-bag.jpg

I ended up just buying a small cheap bag off of amazon. It just needs to hold my multitool, license, and phone. I rode with it today and it's fine, doesn't hit my knees and seems to stay where it't supposed to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I rode my 1st "Mountain Bike Trail" today about 10 min from house. It looped around a small pond with some good scenery. It was labeled as easy online but man, if this is easy then I'm going to be in trouble. It was loaded with roots and rocks, not a lot of smooth sections that I could actually just pedal and ride. Still, it was challenging and fun and highlights how I really need to just keep doing it. I had to stop and rest like 100 times.

1st Bike and Ride! - Giant Talon 2!-bike2.jpg1st Bike and Ride! - Giant Talon 2!-bike1.jpg

Bikesexual
    Next time, you will stop 97 times, then 92...and so on.

So much fun, no?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

jcd's best friend
    I did another 4 miles around my neighborhood after lunch and then I did another 4 miles to pickup my truck at the dealer this afternoon. I didn't have to stop and rest on either ride. Woo Hoo!

I also jumped off my 1st curb ha ha.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bag.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	438.7 KB 
ID:	1244433

I ended up just buying a small cheap bag off of amazon. It just needs to hold my multitool, license, and phone. I rode with it today and it's fine, doesn't hit my knees and seems to stay where it't supposed to.
    Just wait, you jump off curbs now...months later, you will be going down the jump lines! Nice bag too! Those bags are very versatile and I see quite a few commuters use them. Just make sure your stuff is secure in the bag. When you ride on trails, your stuff will bounce around inside of the bag and just make a lot of noise. If anything, stuff a rag or two inside of the bag to keep your stuff from rattling too much.

Other than that, it sounds like you are having a great time out there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I rode my 1st "Mountain Bike Trail" today about 10 min from house. It looped around a small pond with some good scenery. It was labeled as easy online but man, if this is easy then I'm going to be in trouble. It was loaded with roots and rocks, not a lot of smooth sections that I could actually just pedal and ride. Still, it was challenging and fun and highlights how I really need to just keep doing it. I had to stop and rest like 100 times.

Name:	bike2.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	1244434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	1244435
    Reminds me of my first time going off the walking path and into the woods. I got hooked and loved it and then started wishing I had bought a bike with an air fork for future difficulty. You have just entered a place of no return. I also met @Battery on here and started spending money. LOL that will come for you as well. Take the breaks when you need them as they will become less and less as you push yourself further each time. That is really a good looking color combo on that bike. Stands out and looks mean. Did you ever upgrade your pedals? Also look at some padded riding shorts to wear under normal shorts or whatever you prefer to wear, that will help with riding longer as well. Enjoy man and don't stare directly into the light, you may not return to civilization.
    2019 Kona Honzo

Cycologist
    The "trick" to riding those roots and rocks is to hit them with some speed. Speed will give you momentum to carry you over them whereas hitting them too slow, you'll do more bouncing up rather than moving forward. Ride light, distributing yourself across you hands, feet and butt, and stay loose. When you hit a particular rough spot, rise slightly off your saddle and let your legs and arms absorb the hits while your bike bounces below you. I know the tendency is to death grip the bars but relaxing and staying loose makes it much more comfortable.

Also, your saddle looks a little low. You might want to read up on saddle height.

As jcd said, keep at it and you'll quickly see improvements!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Out spokin'
    Congratulations, newbie graduate. You're ready for a $7000 full suspension enduro bike. Prepare to bust Mr. Wallet out.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelMTB View Post
    Did you ever upgrade your pedals? Also look at some padded riding shorts to wear under normal shorts or whatever you prefer to wear, that will help with riding longer as well. Enjoy man and don't stare directly into the light, you may not return to civilization.
    Good eye, yes they talked me into upgrading the pedals when I bought the bike. I'm glad they did as I got my feet wet and they def help keep my feet on the pedals.

I also did buy a pair of padded underwear and shorts when I bought the bike and they seem to work. It rained yesterday so I didn't ride and probably good that I gave my ass a rest day. I ordered a few different kinds of shorts and padded underwear off Amazon to try as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    The "trick" to riding those roots and rocks is to hit them with some speed. Speed will give you momentum to carry you over them whereas hitting them too slow, you'll do more bouncing up rather than moving forward. Ride light, distributing yourself across you hands, feet and butt, and stay loose. When you hit a particular rough spot, rise slightly off your saddle and let your legs and arms absorb the hits while your bike bounces below you. I know the tendency is to death grip the bars but relaxing and staying loose makes it much more comfortable.

Also, your saddle looks a little low. You might want to read up on saddle height.

As jcd said, keep at it and you'll quickly see improvements!
    I'm an avid snowmobile guy and it's much the same motion and body english as riding a sled through a bunch of garbage. The problem is I can't just "throttle through" since I'm the throttle and my legs have no strength and endurance yet, haha.

I'm a short guy, barely 5'7" and the seat seems fine to me but I will look at some videos, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Good eye, yes they talked me into upgrading the pedals when I bought the bike. I'm glad they did as I got my feet wet and they def help keep my feet on the pedals.

I also did buy a pair of padded underwear and shorts when I bought the bike and they seem to work. It rained yesterday so I didn't ride and probably good that I gave my ass a rest day. I ordered a few different kinds of shorts and padded underwear off Amazon to try as well.
    We are pretty much the same height and I found my first pair of padded on eBay and then my next couple of sets from JensonUSA with a clearance sale they had. I grabbed some light weight shorts from Sams that are water wicking with side pockets for a good price to wear over them. I cant find a link to the other pair but I can find the brand when I get home and I will add that info to this post. I grabbed 3-4 pair of them due to comfort and light weight. One pair is below.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/colema...lp_product_1_4
    2019 Kona Honzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I also did my first MTB ride in 18 years on Saturday. Was "only" three miles, but it was a fun trail. Was actually uphill about 3/4 of the way (mild uphill). My Talon 3 did far better than I had expected. The stock tires were great even in the somewhat loose conditions, the cheap fork did a good job, and I had a great time.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Nice! Congrats!

You chose correctly, orange is the fastest color.
    Orange is the new red? When did that happen?
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

Nothing seems to kill me

Name:	bike2.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	1244434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	1244435
    There's the old saying, " It never gets easier, you just ride harder". While that may not be completely true as it will probably get easier for a while until you start pushing limits. It will always be fun and challenging. Mountain biking still puts a smile on my face after 30 years of riding.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Those other shorts I use are Denali brand from Sams Club. I throw those over my padded shorts.
    2019 Kona Honzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I did my 1st 5 mile ride today around the neighborhood and you don't realize how many hills there are until you ride them on a bike! Legs are juuunkkkkk but I think my cardio is getting better. It's only been 6 rides...

My ass is sore for sure but with only 30-40 min rides at this point I'm doing ok. I just walked down the stairs to let the dog out and had to hold the railings ha ha.

I think I'm going to ride a trail on Thursday with a friend of mine. Looking forward to that!

jcd's best friend
    I did my 1st 5 mile ride today around the neighborhood and you don't realize how many hills there are until you ride them on a bike! Legs are juuunkkkkk but I think my cardio is getting better. It's only been 6 rides...

My ass is sore for sure but with only 30-40 min rides at this point I'm doing ok. I just walked down the stairs to let the dog out and had to hold the railings ha ha.

I think I'm going to ride a trail on Thursday with a friend of mine. Looking forward to that!
    Drink a lot of water and bring trail snacks! You still need to take in some carbs for energy.

mtbr member
    Yup, that saddle tore me up for like two weeks. I also used to take 1/2 gal + of water and drink it all on about a 5 mile trip.Now its like no butt pain and a few sips on a 10 - 15 miles trip. So riding all the time every other day for sure will help reduce the pain and increase stamina. Got over the water but carry two 16 oz just in case. Also just have back pack w/ 13 lbs of tools. Have 3 bike and having all in back pack makes for an easy switch to any bike.
    MONGOOSE LEDGE 3.1 29ER 2013
    DIAMONDBACK RECOIL COMP 29ER 2013
    MOTOBECANE FANTOM DS COMP 29ER 2018

Co Springs
    Congrats.
    Bike looks great and the scenery there should provide gumption to get out and ride a lot.
    Even in the same areas, conditions change , trail detritus and rubble changes and each ride can be different on a few levels to keep it interesting and challenging. Use your eyes for the path you want and not to overly focus on stuff you want to avoid. Trust your peripheral vision to that. As others said, a soft rag or cloth to take up unused volume in the bags keeps things quiet and less distracting. Power down on the pedal stroke to pop the front wheel up and over things and let that momentum carry you through and over things you will seldom have to contemplate or think about.

The subtleties of balance, weight transfer and intuition come before you know it and each ride nets you skill, experience and legs that will be a great surprise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Making progress... 6.2 miles around the neighborhood today. My breathing/cardio is much improved already and I can feel my legs getting stronger as I can go about 30 minutes without stopping now. I'm pretty sure if I ride out to the rail trail where it's flat I can do 10 miles with a steady pace. I might try it tomorrow...

I'm also getting a lot more proficient at changing gears and using the whole 2x9 range through my neighborhood. There are some mild hills where I'm downshifting to 1st gear just trying to keep going without having to put my feet down and rest my legs. lol...

Bikesexual
    Sweet! Keep it rolling!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I rode 10.11 miles yesterday! I can't believe it! My tailbone is soooorreeee today. I'm taking today and this weekend off, next ride on Monday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st Bike and Ride! - Giant Talon 2!-lakebike.jpg  

1st Bike and Ride! - Giant Talon 2!-icebike.jpg  

jcd's best friend
    Come join our thread here and share your adventures: https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passi...ay-988566.html

mtbr member
    The last time I had a bike was 1994 and the day I got my drivers license I threw the bike in the lake and never looked back, haha. Flash forward and I'm looking for something fun to do that won't necessarily feel like getting on a treadmill for an hour. I watched a ton of videos and there are lots of trails around me.

Went to the local bike shop and tested a couple bikes and walked out with the Giant Talon 2, a cage and water bottle, upgraded pedals, padded shorts, and a helmet. I ordered a pump/repair kit and multi tool online.

I had an appointment to drop my truck off for service so I took the opportunity to ride my bike home for the 1st time. It was only 4 miles and mostly on a paved rail trail but it was great. I'm sooo out of shape... It's going to be a rough couple weeks but I'm going to keep at it.
    Nice I have a talon 3 and had many fun rides over two years with it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk