1st agressive Hardtail choice- Mtbr.com
    Urban7
    May 2020

Hope 1st agressive Hardtail choice

Hi , recently back into biking and Coming from full suss Iím having difficulty deciding between 3 Hardtails . Havenít test riden any as of yet but need some info off any owners out there of the -Nukeproof scout comp , the Vitus vrx and the Sonder transmitter Nx ( all 27.5), pros and cons would be very useful , Probably been asked before but any info would help me a great deal before purchase , Regards Urb

mtbr member
    Those all look like solid choices. You might add the Ragley Marley to that list. I have one and really dig it a lot. It's far more capable than I was expecting.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Urban7
    May 2020
    Thanks for your input👍 . I heard whispers the Ragley Marley was noisey, any thruth in that in your opinion ? And what Is the weight like ?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Personally, I would go for the nukeproof, although I recommend the Commencal meta ht, a friend has been using it for months, you can do it all on that frame.

Trail Ninja
    What model Vitus?

VRX is the spec level. I think it goes: VRX top, VRS 2nd highest, VR 3rd, no suffix/Deore lowest?

Sentier VRX would not be in the same price range as those others, but even its lowest spec version would be the best option of the 3 (gets perfect ratings in 27.5 guise). The VR gets upgrades worth the upcharge though, but they're usually all sold out fast and you likely have to wait for next year's batch.

The Nucleus has QR rear; QR doesn't play nice with disc brakes.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

Urban7
    May 2020
    Ahh sorry itís the Sentier VRX with revelation charger fork , XT m8000 brakes ,SLX/ST groupset.
    VRS IS 200 Notes cheaper , RS Revelation motion control shock, SRAM Guide R brakes ,Eagle groupset ... all the bikes Iím eyeing are around £1500 ish . The Vitus was my first choice but The Mail order and the waiting times are putting me off , also my local bike dealer has the Nukeproof bikes in stock 🤔🙄

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    What model Vitus?

The Nucleus has QR rear; QR doesn't play nice with disc brakes.
    Luckily, my mongrel bike didn't get that memo.1st agressive Hardtail choice-normal.jpg

Urban7
    May 2020
    Nice pic Speedygz, what model may I ask ?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban7 View Post
    Nice pic Speedygz, what model may I ask ?
    Ha ha. She's a real mongrel bitser bike that one, that I built up myself. Bought the frame online from Wiggle, for the princely sum of $165 AUD. It's a Brand X HT-01. My bikes are never finished, they may be complete, but always in a state of flux.
    Rear wheel is a Sun Ringle Duroc with a 30mm rim, quick release. Front is a Shimano XT. Can't remember the rim width. Thru axle. Both straight pull spokes/hubs.
    Running a Fox float 29er fork, 100mm travel. Frame geometry is specced to suit a 120-130mm 27.5 fork, I don't want that much travel, the 100mm 29er fork has exactly the right crown to axle measurement to suit. Love it.
    Running XT front brake with 180 center lock disc, 180mm 6 bolt rear with a Deore caliper. IS to post mount adapter for the caliper.
    2x10 XT crank, 11-40 cassette in the photo. I've since gone 1x, with a shimmed to suit Chinese 30T narrow wide front, & the 11-42 cassette. Waiting for an 11 speed 11-46 SLX 1x group set to turn up in the mail as I write this. Might go up to a 32t chain ring then. We'll see.
    Bars are cheap Chinese carbon Race face knock offs. Some cheap no name 40mm stem.
    Seat post is a Carbon Ritchey pro. Just long enough to make minimum insertion.
    Seat is some obscure Chinese brand eBay special. Pretty light, & comfortable.
    Pinned nylon Chinese specials for pedal. Nice and broad, & comfy. Relatively light for the size, & so far been bomb proof.
    The bike is way more than the sum of its parts would suggest. Absolutely love it. It's a great ride. Comfy, agile yet stable, reasonably light, bomb proof. One of those bikes that you hop on, & it just feels right. My absolute favorite bike so far.

Urban7
    May 2020
    Awesome work👍.. , love it when guys build freak bikes and love em!!.. that one looks A blast !

Urban7
    May 2020
    Can I ask what model Marley you ride Curveball? Itís just become a serious contender lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    +1 on the Nukeproof Scout. That's gonna be my HT frame for 2021.

Urban7
    May 2020
    Trinimon , it does strike me as a very good option , can I ask what helped you decide ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Trinimon , it does strike me as a very good option , can I ask what helped you decide ??
    I rode with a guy on one of the trails last summer and he let me demo his Scout 275 medium size for a part of it. It's nice and nimble, I felt like I was "in" the bike and not "on" it. It also climbed nicely and the reach for my 5'10" 31" inseam was almost perfect fit. I didn't do too much crazy stuff as it wasn't my bike and I sure as heck wouldn't want to crash this stranger's bike. But from that little demo, I was hooked on the Scout. I was looking at the Commencal Meta HT frameset as well. It's cheaper than Scout 275 but I KNOW how the Scout rides and the reviews of the Commencal frame being too stiff and lack of complaince was a negative for me. I've already spent my $$ this year on a Reactor 275 frameset so the HT gets an upgrade next year. Hopefully Nukeproof gets nicer colours for the 2021 Scout framesets. The complete bikes have different colour options. The battle green (nice but not for for my bike) and that baby blue... Blech. lol

mtbr member
    Can I ask what model Marley you ride Curveball? Itís just become a serious contender lol
    It's the higher end one, I think the 1.0. It's quiet, but not light. Lighter wheels would probably make it come alive.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Urban7
    May 2020
    Great feedback thank you Trinimon, this is the info Iím looking for to make my mind up. And Iím 5.10 with a 31 leg 🙌🤔🤣

Urban7
    May 2020
    Thanks for your input curveball ,very helpful, knowledge is power 🤛.

Urban7
    May 2020
    How are you getting on with Reactor , I also toyed with the idea of one of them ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    How are you getting on with Reactor , I also toyed with the idea of one of them ?
    lol, I'll tell ya in a couple days after I build it. I ordered my carbon frame at the end of January but unlucky for me, Nukeproof warehouse was out of stock on medium frames. Then all hell broke loose with covid19 in China etc. Finally, my fame is supposed to be delivered today. The reach on the Reactor is a little bit longer than the Scout but the rep says medium will be a good fit for me if I rode a medium Scout and liked it. First FS bike for me so it's all a Hail Mary build. lol

Urban7
    May 2020
    Ah I see , will be a great adventure once built Iím sure ... Iím coming from an Orange 5 to Hardtail so new ground for me too!.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Ah I see , will be a great adventure once built Iím sure ... Iím coming from an Orange 5 to Hardtail so new ground for me too!.
    lol, were switching roles. Actually I think a FS and a HT are great combos to have. My GF thinks differently though...

Urban7
    May 2020
    Indeed...I think itís a must, I had to sell my 5 but will go Hardtail for now and hopefully add a full suss to the collection again at a later date .I do like the 2020 scout Comp in Grey Btw!! 👍😜

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    If you were just buying a frameset, the 2019 models came in a nice dark blue and that cement grey colour. The 2020 model is basically the same as the 2019 other than the new blah colours. Other colours are available depending on which model you buy.

Urban7
    May 2020
    Yes I tend to agree with you .

Urban7
    May 2020
    Hurry up and let me know what that reactor is like 😜👍

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Hopefully Nukeproof gets nicer colours for the 2021 Scout framesets. The complete bikes have different colour options. The battle green (nice but not for for my bike) and that baby blue... Blech. lol
    Finally someone agrees with me! I think the blue looks like Blu Tack, boring AF.

Ragley on the other hand are just lovely - Ragley Bikes

Urban7
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Finally someone agrees with me! I think the blue looks like Blu Tack, boring AF.

Haha they are not the best ... shut up about Ragley bikes!!, I thought I had my mind made up for a minute 🤣🤣🙄

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Haha they are not the best ... shut up about Ragley bikes!!, I thought I had my mind made up for a minute
    Sorry, that said they have no stock until late July to late August.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Urban7
    May 2020
    Sorry, that said they have no stock until late July to late August.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

I got the mail order and waiting time Problem with all of them bar the Nukeproof , oh or maybe a Whyte!樂

mtbr member
    I got the Sonder last year and love it.
    But I only got the frame and build the rest together myself.
    The only thing that sucks is the internal english moto style cable routing.

Riding wise it feels like a hardtail version of my Capra 27,5 XXL
    I was realy surprised how well and fast it is on the descents.
    Also the frame with the slim toptube is an eyecatcher.
    1st agressive Hardtail choice-1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2020

A rattle can of matte black paint fixes all issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I recently switched from a Scout to a Ragley Piglet and I love it!
    A little bit smaller as I wasn't getting on with 29" wheels

1st agressive Hardtail choice-whatsapp-image-2020-05-14-11.33.09.jpg

Urban7
    May 2020
    [QUOTE=OneTrustMan;14747047]I got the Sonder last year and love it.
    But I only got the frame and build the rest together myself.
    The only thing that sucks is the internal english moto style cable routing.

Riding wise it feels like a hardtail version of my Capra 27,5 XXL
    I was realy surprised how well and fast it is on the descents.
    Also the frame with the slim toptube is an eyecatcher.
    Lovely looking bike I must say

Urban7
    May 2020
    [QUOTE=davetrials1;14747833]I recently switched from a Scout to a Ragley Piglet and I love it!
    A little bit smaller as I wasn't getting on with 29" wheels

Love the look of the piglet although a bit out of my price range I think . Iím gonna go with 27.5 wheels whatever I choose Dave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I think frame only is quite cheap, I've also never had a steel frame before and you can really notice the difference, it sort of flexes in a good way

Urban7
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by davetrials1 View Post
    I think frame only is quite cheap, I've also never had a steel frame before and you can really notice the difference, it sort of flexes in a good way
    Yes Iíve heared steel is nice , never had the pleasure tho,nearly went for a Cotic Soul or BFE A few years ago but decided against due to price,I may look into it Dave.樂

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Anyone ridden a Whyte 905?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    How does the Piglet ride?