mtbr member

$1500 for a trail oriented 27.5" hardtail - what to get?

What catches your eye for a $1500 27.5 trail hardtail? Plus or not - a bike like the Giant Fathom 1. What should I be looking at? Thanks.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    What is the intended purpose for this hardtail? Do you have other bikes already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    CRC has the '16 Blue Pig complete build on sale for $1500. Decent build with a Mattoc, solid wheels, SLX spec'd (XT RD). It is 2x10, so that may be a draw back as I know many are looking for 1x drivetrains, but depending on what your intended usage will be that may not be a factor. The frame has pretty good clearance in the rear that will fit up to a 2.8 without any issue. It's a great, aggressive trail hardtail if you like the feel of steel. If not the Mmmbop & Marley are also on sale on CRC and great alu choices. There are a lot of others as well.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you have a Specialized dealer near you, they should be able to sell you one of these (2016 Fuse Expert 6Fattie) in either a medium or large for just under $1,400:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fu...6fattie/106977

They would likely have to order it, but it should only take a few days to get one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by avidthrasher View Post
    CRC has the '16 Blue Pig complete build on sale for $1500. Decent build with a Mattoc, solid wheels, SLX spec'd (XT RD). It is 2x10, so that may be a draw back as I know many are looking for 1x drivetrains, but depending on what your intended usage will be that may not be a factor. The frame has pretty good clearance in the rear that will fit up to a 2.8 without any issue. It's a great, aggressive trail hardtail if you like the feel of steel. If not the Mmmbop & Marley are also on sale on CRC and great alu choices. There are a lot of others as well.
    THis is your answer. I don't own a blue pig (but an NS eccentric) and at that price point I'd be all over it if in the market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You might as well go Plus so you get decently wide rim wheels and a fork with space.
    For that price the Diamondback Mason Comp 2017 has a FIT4 cartridge Fox 34 and wide rims. CorpSponProg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Haro Subvert fits the bill also.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    NS Bike Eccentric or On One 45650

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ideas. That Ragley is sweet and for $1199! Dang - problem is they only have the 14" and 16" bikes left........I'm 5'-11"

As for what the intended purpose is - to have fun, be able to pop off little things and catch some air, wheelie, and plunk around on. I will also commute on it ~ 5-10 miles per day depending on route.

I currently have a Trek Rumblefish 29'er Full Suspension that just plows over stuff that used to be fun to jump and play on.

Not sure about the Plus size tire thing, especially with 1,000 miles of commuting each season involved. But they are just tires, wear them out and get another - right?
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Ah, ya, didn't look too hard at sizes when scoping them out quickly, bummer!

Could give the Commencal Meta HT line a go. The Meta HT AM with a RS Yari is on sale for $1299 and they have 19" & 20.5" frames available depending on how long limbed you are at 5'11. Commencal's are always nice and playful and love getting rowdy in my experience. Second link is a significantly better spec though it's at the very top end of your proposed budget, but a Lyric over a Yari and 1x NX groupo over x5/7 is well worth the extra bit imo.

There's also stuff like the On-One 45650b & Deedar if you don't mind a bit of extra expense & waiting for shipping. I like CRC because I like free shipping. Of course there are other places that offer free shipping too. I know CRC is also UK based, but they get shit out fast!

Commencal Meta HT AM Essentail Bike 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Commencal Meta HT AM Race Bike 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    On-One DeeDar is a sweet looking ride,,

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The DeeDar is rather short. Just FYI for sizing purposes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Not sure about the Plus size tire thing, especially with 1,000 miles of commuting each season involved. But they are just tires, wear them out and get another - right?
    ... I think you have to try it for what you're riding.

Ill pass on 2.4's for the smaller versions, for trail riding with zero street use. The 2.0 xc tires on another bike I have feel sluggish on the street, and those are all lightweight "small" tires compared to the plus stuff today.

Its not just a little bit of weight. It ends up being a whole lot of weight... or you can use paper thin tires with no grip, which end up still heavier, but now you have to take it easy or the sidewalls tear.

Im sure theres some areas where plus is the perfect setup. It might not be your area (or it may!). I open up trailhead gates here and im climbing uphill for an hour+ right off the bat. Im not worried about getting a little more traction, im focused on slugging a bike up a mountain for an hour. Anything that makes that harder is unwelcome.

mtbr member
    How hard is it to get On-Ones in the USA?
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    How hard is it to get On-Ones in the USA?
    Place order on website. Wait for shipment to be received.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    ... I think you have to try it for what you're riding.

Ill pass on 2.4's for the smaller versions, for trail riding with zero street use. The 2.0 xc tires on another bike I have feel sluggish on the street, and those are all lightweight "small" tires compared to the plus stuff today.

Its not just a little bit of weight. It ends up being a whole lot of weight... or you can use paper thin tires with no grip, which end up still heavier, but now you have to take it easy or the sidewalls tear.

Im sure theres some areas where plus is the perfect setup. It might not be your area (or it may!). I open up trailhead gates here and im climbing uphill for an hour+ right off the bat. Im not worried about getting a little more traction, im focused on slugging a bike up a mountain for an hour. Anything that makes that harder is unwelcome.
    You saying stay with 29'ers? I do hear you on the easiest ride to the top is best.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    You saying stay with 29'ers? I do hear you on the easiest ride to the top is best.
    Not so much that. I just dont believe plus bikes are the magic solution for every rider in every situation. It more seems that they work best for certain situations only, like rolling hills. Or places where you dont really need a granny gear.

I prefer 27.5 over 29, but I also prefer 2.2-2.35 tires. If you feel that your current bike is already steamrolling everything, a plus bike probably will do the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I bought a dee dar frame and currently in the build process. Shipping was 68 to usa but arrived within 5 days of order. No extra charges from dhl or customs. Frame is wonderfully made.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidthrasher View Post
    Place order on website. Wait for shipment to be received.
    How long does it take?
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    How long does it take?
    I'm in nc. Took approx 5 days from ordered to delivered.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    If I was looking into a hardtail right now I'd be all over the Commencal meta's.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Go directly to FS. See trance thread above.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Salsa Timberjack GX1 $1399

TIMBERJACK 27.5+ GX1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Ask about these at the local shop - they are not available. I did see one in a town about 2 hrs away, should have bought it then.
    I wanna ride!

Captain Climber
    I'm in the same situation and everyone keeps saying stay away from aluminum frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Multi

Roger that.
    Last edited by Individual1; 02-23-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Offended

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual1 View Post
    Im 45 and ride my bmx to work during the summer on a one way 2 mile commute...
    No offense but you might want to start your own thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    I'm in the same situation and everyone keeps saying stay away from aluminum frames.
    Not everyone.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I just picked up a jamis dragon pro 650b steel hardtail and the ergs and feel are fantastic for a more aggressive trail rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Not everyone.
    Alu :FTW:

NB, this is a 29er... Nukeproof do make same frame in 27.5...

...and...

It's a 'Slayer'

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Consider this bike on sale from On One...For $950 plus another $150 shipped. Still under budget for $1100......

094 - On-One 456 Evo2 SRAM X9 Mountain Bike 18'' Hot Smoked Paprika - New | Planet X

The classic 456 is constructed from double butted 4130 DN6 chromoly, hand welded to precise standards, and above all incredibly fun to ride. In this Evo2 form things have been revised further, now dropper post compatible, with asymmetric s bend profile chainstays and increased tyre clearance. Overall the weight is down and the strength up courtesy of some slick externally butted tubing on top.

SRAM X9 benefits from the American component manufacturers dedication to the cause for innovation and advancement. Features trickle down from the top and dont get watered down along the way. The X9 Type 2 rear derailleur has Exact Actuation that increases shifting precision and cable pull efficiency, coming into its own when your slogging through the mud or bouncing off the rumble, and also features the SRAM Roller Bearing Clutch that eliminates chain slap without sacrificing position; The X9 trigger shifters have a slick ergonomic design and action that partners the front and rear mechs perfectly, theyre fixed alongside the Avid Elixir 7 carbon levers in an integrated clamp, allowing a seamless action from shifting to the hydraulic powered stopping.

Up front things are kept smooth and plush with the RockShox Revelation 140mm fork, balancing out the rigid hardtail ride well. The Revelation comes loaded with key up-to-the-minute features such as Motion Control and Solo Air, ready for some proper trails to showcase their worth. The level of responsiveness and reaction to the terrain on the Revelation is second to none, only exemplified by the external rebound adjustment options.

If you want to experience a proper steel hardtail ride then the 456 Evo2 is the go to choice, as it has been in all its forms throughout the years. Although tweaked and modernised along the way, the thrill of the 456 ride is still firmly in place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Need moar advertisement copy/paste action...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    At this budget, I'd be all over that Blue Pig.

Ragley Blue Pig Hardtail Bike 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

All sizes are in stock

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Chameleon seems like it could be an option.
    Yeti SB6c
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Team
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The new Devinci Kobain could be add in to.
    DEVINCI - KOBAIN RS

mtbr member
    SC chameleon all the way. It blows everything else away in this price range by a huge effin margin.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    If OP wants to go the steel frame route, this seems like a solid buy:

https://www.merlincycles.com/transit...016-87649.html

Almost pulled the trigger on one in February, but my local dealer gave me a screaming deal on an Instigator 2.0 frame.