Worthwhile to "refresh" '06 Giant Anthem?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Worthwhile to "refresh" '06 Giant Anthem?

Hi all-

I lost interest in MTBing about 10+ years ago (once I got a car and started rock climbing and backcountry skiing) and my treasured 2006 (I think) Giant Anthem 1 has since sat in the garage collecting dust. At the time I knew "big wheels" were coming but I figured its a gimmick to make everyone buy new bikes.

I just came from https://forums.mtbr.com/26er-bikes/2...y-1108981.html and so I'm up to speed on modern bikes/geometry etc.

Question is: my Anthem (Asia spec so it's prob a bit differently specc'd; mixed XTR/XT, raceface carbon; original Hayes brakes oil gummed up and swapped for XTs about 4 yrs ago) is still at least worth to be tuned up/spruced up/XC trail ridden right? It's in good shape, will need to be cleaned/lubed, brakes drained/filled. I'm less sure about suspension...13+ years old never serviced will probably need more love than my LBS can handle yes?

I can't imagine any servicing needed will be more than a few $hundred...any "modern" bike < $1000 can't possibly be more worthwhile than resurrecting my "antique" right? Please educate me on worthwhile servicing to look into (I can handle simple stuff).

(It's not about cost, it's about worthwhile fun...if you tell me I need to spend > 1K to be relevant, I'll tell you I'd rather buy new BC skis and let the bike collect more dust). I realize I'm on a MTB forum, so I'm bracing for the s**t.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worthwhile to &quot;refresh&quot; '06 Giant Anthem?-anthem-1.jpg  

Worthwhile to &quot;refresh&quot; '06 Giant Anthem?-anthem-2.jpg  

Worthwhile to &quot;refresh&quot; '06 Giant Anthem?-anthem-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think it would be worth sprucing up.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Both the fork and shock should still be serviceable, they're not some crazy proprietary or defunct brand so you should be good on those.

Does anything specifically not work on it now?
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Just looking at the bike from the pics and the history you give, I would take it to my LBS for tune-up that includes an assessment of the shocks. I wouldn't think it would cost too much.

I'm still riding my 2000's hardtails without issue and there are others here with older mtbs.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I gave a buddy my 06 Stumpy FSR. He fixed it up and rides it now. He keeps up just fine.

As long as you can still get the seals, then your LBS should be able to service the suspension, I would think. Probably use fresh shifter cables and housing. At least clean and lube them good. Might need some fresh grease in your BB and hubs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    As far as the suspension being 13 yrs old without service isn't a big deal unless it had a ton of use on it before sitting around. The oil in the dampers doesn't go bad. As long as the oil isn't contaminated from use, and the seals are still holding air/oil, you're good to go. If the brakes still feel ok I wouldn't spend money on bleeding them. Mineral oil doesn't expire, it's just a matter of whether any air or water has gotten in. Mineral oil doesn't draw in water from the atmosphere like dot so you're probably good to go.

I would lube the chain, check your bolts, and hit the trails! No need to spend money just because it's been sitting around. Make sure your tires aren't dried and cracked. You can dramatically transform the way your bike will handle with some new tires. There's still lots of 26" tire options.

mtbr member
    Id get the suspension serviced, with fresh seals and oil. After 13 years, it's overdue. Seals dry up or get contaminated after awhile. If you're going to "refresh" it, start there. Nothing like hitting the trails only to notice your shock doesn't work 5 miles in, and you have a puddle of oil all over your BB.

mtbr member
    Hell yeah...looks sweet. I would think about new tires, lube cables and maybe do a fork/shock service. Have you ridden it at all to assess how the suspension is? Maybe all you need to do is set sag and go ride!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    The reba is extremely easy to service (entirely) yourself at home, with no special tools. Just common oils you can find at any bike or motorcycle shop. Totally worth servicing. The seal kit is about 40 bucks for the complete kit, or about $15 for the partial kit. Id do the whole thing.

The shock... I wouldn't even bother. Those old foxes sucked, and they're not cheap to service. Even after a service, they still suck. You can pickup modern new shocks for under $100 lately. If you felt so inclined, you could pull off the air can and lube it up, but I wouldnt actually spend money on it.

The rest of the bike is normal maintenance that any bike needs. Cables, chains, lube up your pivots and bearings etc.

3 on the tree
    Ride it, it's a nice bike! I recently started up again after a thirteen year hiatus on my Yeti 575. I had to replace my exploded Hayes 9 brake and a bald rear tire, but other than that, it was good to go. The Fox fork and shock hadn't lost any air in all that time sitting - that doesn't suck.
    Smog builds character.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I agree with the above. I had an '08 (basically the same bike) and it was awesome. Sometimes wish I hadn't sold it since I bought a newer Anthem and they don't ride all that different.

In addition to what OnePivot said, I'd consider adding a dropper and doing a tubeless tire conversion if you haven't yet...probably $300 or so...but those can happen down the line if you stick with the sport.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Fix it yourself, should not be a big problem. If in doubt about anything regarding suspension go to https://www.huckingkitty.com/ ask there. There is an expert that is kind and friendly and surely will answer any question.
    This bike is as good as most of the new bikes unless you believe in bigger is better.
    3x can climb steeper trails than 1x if somebody say different it is wrong.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit

mtbr member
    I just redid my '05 SC Heckler. I know in the end it is probably not money well spent but I still really like the old thing. I was able to do all the work myself. I am however having the fork serviced at the lbs. Just put a new DVO topaz on the back (not pictured) and now the old Pike feels like crap.

really need to make this one last a few more years then the kid can "inherit" it. My buddy and his wife are now on 27.5 and 29's. I used to run them over and now have a hard time keeping up....lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worthwhile to &quot;refresh&quot; '06 Giant Anthem?-heckler-maxxis.jpg  

Worthwhile to &quot;refresh&quot; '06 Giant Anthem?-heckler-brakes.jpg  

mtbr member

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    My buddy and his wife are now on 27.5 and 29's. I used to run them over and now have a hard time keeping up....lol.
    Maybe we are all just getting older and less fit. Don't blame the bike.

it is harder to get fit than to stay fit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by las-palmas View Post
    Maybe we are all just getting older and less fit. Don't blame the bike.

Ive been riding with him for almost 20 years. He is a year younger than me though. His wife on her 29er is a novice, but is only 40 and qualified for the Boston Marathon this year so is in really good shape.