Is it worth it?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Is it worth it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Is it worth it?

New member, hello forum. Here's my question: Is moving up to a 29" mtb going to benefit me THAT much? I realize the first generic (understandably) is going to be "What kinda riding do you do?" To that I answer just regular street riding. Curbs, speed bumps, pot holes, gravel, some dirt. I breifly owned a road bike and I swear when I turned into parking lots the impact into the seams in the pavement from street to concrete felt like my fillings were being jarred loose. Plus, only the highly skilled road cyclists can regularly do bunny hops and w/ my 40lb Schwinn Protocol I can hit anything but it feels like a tank compared to my previous 18lb road bike.

Flying on my road bike was fun but bumps and dirty pock marked pavement made me return it. Did I do the right thing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is it worth it?-protocol-1.0.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCurb2Hi View Post
    Flying on my road bike was fun but bumps and dirty pock marked pavement made me return it. Did I do the right thing?
    No, you have made a terrible, terrible mistake. But there is hope.... get yourself down to a local real-bike shop and have a look at some of the fatter-tire gravel/road bikes they have out. For your kind of riding, you might like a flat-bar road/gravel bike but you probably don't need front suspension, definitely don't need rear suspension. You can find a much lighter bike than your current rig that is still going to smooth out the small bumps in the road.

If you know what you're looking for, an older, used Mtb with a rigid fork could be the way to go. Saves you money too.

Sergeant Spandex
    From your description of the type of riding you do I bet you could stick with what you have

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I agree

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    it sounds like you just need a bike to do a bit of everything,
    have you considered a 26" bmx criuser bike? (for example, heres one that would be 1 million times better than your schwinn right now https://www.the-house.com/qfrt626bb1...bmx-bikes.html)

it would get you where you need to go and still have some fun on it.
    if your riding street most of the time (only thing i would so is change the rear brake to a hydraulic one)

and if you prefer a 29er, they make the same version in that wheel size as well
    (here it is https://www.the-house.com/qfrt929wg2...bmx-bikes.html)

good luck on your cycling adventure! hope you find what your looking for!

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCurb2Hi View Post
    Plus, only the highly skilled road cyclists can regularly do bunny hops
    Woohoo! I'm a highly skilled road cyclist! Na, I'm a numpty, but even I can bunny hop on a road bike, it's super easy.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Your past me, although that isn't saying alot.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Ride the bike that you have. If your skills ever supersede the limits of your bike, figure out what you think you may be looking for and then come back to the forums and some competent riders can assist you. For now, just go ride your bike. Cheers.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks I will.