Will the 26er ever rise from the ashes?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CS2
    mtbr member

Will the 26er ever rise from the ashes?

Being a diehard vintage MTB guy I just can’t let go of the 26” wheel. I can see the advantages of a 29er. But a 650B just doesn’t have any real advantage over a 26 or 29.. It’s almost like the worst of both worlds. It just doesn’t do anything well enough to justify even tooling up a separate bike model. These are just the ramblings of an old guy stuck in the Seventies.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    No. Never. If you want another bike, buy a new 29" bike. They absolutely rock. If you are not looking to buy a new bike, ride the bike you have. You can still get 26" tires pretty easily on eBay and through European sites. I still ride a 26" 5-Spot and also have a new Ripley that I ride. Love both.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Do you still have green shag carpet in your living room?
    I brake for stinkbugs

A voice in the wilderness
    My prediction is that the industry will need to shift buyers into a new product line. 27.5 will be "obsolete" next. The press will rave about the newly discovered size, wonder how anyone ever ever rolled on any other size. Buy a new bike.

But seriously, I'm hearing more and more about riders who are sick of the whole "$3000 bike" phenomenon digging out the old 26 and remembering how much fun it can be to FEEL the trail instead of CRUSHING it. The best way to revive the 26 market is to buy parts. There are still wheel builders making new wheelsets in 26, tires are still available, marketing is the only reason the size "went away".

Maxxis cult follower
    At least one pro on here still rides 26" tires. Personally I like something between 26 x 2.4 and 26 x 2.8, and I do put them on a 27.5" frame often. There is nothing necessarily wrong with a 26" tire if it's wide enough. After all, a 26 x 2.8 measures (depending on the rim width) somewhere between 26.8 and 27.2 inches high, so it's really not a 26" tire, it's a 27" tire.

It's the 26" frame that sucks for downhill mountain biking, as in more than an 8% decline. For lighter riding it's perfectly fine. For steeper declines it's not very reassuring to feel like you are going to tip forwards right over the bars at the slightest divot in the trail. A dropper post can help but only so much.

But there is a way around this:
    BEIOU 3K Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Frame 26-Inch Glossy Unibody External Cable Routing T700 Ultralight MTB B005X $299

It's modern geometry!!! However, I still got a 27.5 version from a similar Chinese manufacturer...because I don't want to ride 26" tires all the time. Yes, I know that sometimes you can fit a skinny 27.5 x 2.1 in the back. But I want the option of going burly, as in 2.4 to 2.6 front and back with 27.5 tires and so I got a 27.5 frame, because you can always put on 26" tires but not always vice-versa.
    We ALL have something to learn here. Post helpful solutions instead of flaming for your own sadistic need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    At least one pro on here still rides 26" tires. Personally I like something between 26 x 2.4 and 26 x 2.8, and I do put them on a 27.5" frame often. There is nothing necessarily wrong with a 26" tire if it's wide enough. After all, a 26 x 2.8 measures (depending on the rim width) somewhere between 26.8 and 27.2 inches high, so it's really not a 26" tire, it's a 27" tire.

It's the 26" frame that sucks for downhill mountain biking, as in more than an 8% decline. For lighter riding it's perfectly fine. For steeper declines it's not very reassuring to feel like you are going to tip forwards right over the bars at the slightest divot in the trail. A dropper post can help but only so much.

But there is a way around this:
    BEIOU 3K Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Frame 26-Inch Glossy Unibody External Cable Routing T700 Ultralight MTB B005X $299

It's modern geometry!!! However, I still got a 27.5 version from a similar Chinese manufacturer...because I don't want to ride 26" tires all the time. Yes, I know that sometimes you can fit a skinny 27.5 x 2.1 in the back. But I want the option of going burly, as in 2.4 to 2.6 front and back with 27.5 tires and so I got a 27.5 frame, because you can always put on 26" tires but not always vice-versa.
    I have an old Stumpjumper with 217 rims and nice hubs. Made tubeless and with lite 26 X 2.0 tires (Wild Racer Advanced) the bike absolutely flies. And with the old style set up (26, 36, 46) you can really hammer and the speed is shocking. Technically a lot more challenging to ride - both up and down, but fun none the less.

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    My prediction is that the industry will need to shift buyers into a new product line. 27.5 will be "obsolete" next. The press will rave about the newly discovered size, wonder how anyone ever ever rolled on any other size. Buy a new bike.
    Yep , exactly !!

Maybe the 26er will be the next big thing (when completely extinct) to make us buy new bikes but my guess is another new wheel size.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I have an old Stumpjumper with 217 rims and nice hubs. Made tubeless and with lite 26 X 2.0 tires (Wild Racer Advanced) the bike absolutely flies. And with the old style set up (26, 36, 46) you can really hammer and the speed is shocking. Technically a lot more challenging to ride - both up and down, but fun none the less.
    Would you say your 26" bike climbs and accelerates faster than your big wheeled bike?
    Last edited by JPL65; 09-28-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Music & Bikes
    lighter wheels will always accelerate/descelerate faster

Basic physics

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    lighter wheels will always accelerate/descelerate faster

Basic physics
    When was the last time a hydraulic disc brake with a 180 mm rotor had trouble stopping due to the difference between a 26" wheel and a 29"wheel?

It may be basic, but it seems you haven't done the physics on it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    That’s hitting below the belt.

mtbr member
    I think it's possible we'll see 26'' in the shops again simply because there is so much 26'' hardware out there already. Tyre and rim manufacturers could reintroduce or ramp up 26'' production very easily so making a few bikes would no be too hard to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post

What? I never mentioned bell bottoms and platform shoes.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    When was the last time a hydraulic disc brake with a 180 mm rotor had trouble stopping due to the difference between a 26" wheel and a 29"wheel?

It may be basic, but it seems you haven't done the physics on it.
    Is the conversation about brakes ?

I might have missed something .....

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    It’s green but it isn’t shag.

mtbr member
    26ers will be re-introduced when the Dynamic VR17 in a 207 cm gets re-introduced. I get it. I'm 67 and possess some degree of nostagia....just not if it impedes my ability to kick the a$$es of young whipper-snappers! On a 29er, I can do that, at least for the next couple of years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think the problem as of this year is that the tire selection in 26" has really waned. I have two 26" bikes and the tire selection is just terrible compared to even 3-4 years ago. There are tires in every category, but even with dozens of tires available, the selection is less than ideal compared to 584 and 622. Sadly, I think this will be the death of 26.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL65 View Post
    Would you say your 26" bike climbs and accelerates faster than your big wheeled bike?
    If the trails are right, the gearing on that bike allows me to be faster then on my Ripley. This is an old bike at my parents house. I ride it in a park that is pretty flat with smooth trails and lots of miles on grassy fields. You can really move in a 46 big ring with a 11-28 cassette! But this bike would kill me in a place like Pisgah.

But, if the ride is longer, I am always faster on the 29er. After about 2 hours on the old bike, my neck and ass hurts.There are trails where I am faster on my other 26" bike (5-spot) as well. But overall, the 29er is faster and leaves me much less fatigued.

mtbr member
    26er's will come back. "They are so light!" "The acceleration is amazing!" "Stiffer wheels!".

Some of my fastest strava times were from 2012 when I was riding a Rush SL6 that was too big and using crappy flat pedals. I could gain speed really fast with that bike and I was riding it with a 1x9...

I think a 26er with modern geo would be pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    26ers will be re-introduced when the Dynamic VR17 in a 207 cm gets re-introduced. I get it. I'm 67 and possess some degree of nostagia....just not if it impedes my ability to kick the a$$es of young whipper-snappers! On a 29er, I can do that, at least for the next couple of years.
    As a ski racer I remember the VR17. Our ski area had a retro weekend a couple years ago, cracked out the Fischer RC4 SL's in 207cm, best weekend of the year.

mtbr member
    As a ski racer I remember the VR17. Our ski area had a retro weekend a couple years ago, cracked out the Fischer RC4 SL's in 207cm, best weekend of the year.
    Indeed....people can still rock them....and 26ers too (just not me!).
    You may have seen this, pretty funny.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZbLWub7ybs

They're still making new 26 wheelsets
    Bicyclewheelwarehouse.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ironically 650b is exactly where 26" was in 2014. We no longer hear anything about 650b being fast, or the "best of both worlds," It's the "fun" size now, not the sweet spot that was supposed to take over the indusry. We hear the exact same pros and cons for 650b as we did for 26. Considering people have accepted 650b as the size for fun and play, instead of speed and rollover, I wouldn't get my hopes up. We are only talking about 1" after all. That said, never underestimate the industry's wllingness to change standards. Fox is about to bring back 20mm axles, steerer tubes are going to 1.8". Standards will never stop changing. If 650b sales contiue to slump, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a marketing push for fun retro 26'ers.It would take little to no investment bring it back considering all the major tire companies still have tire molds, and geo modes to size down 1" are easier from the manufacturing side of things compared to sizing up 1". Companies like Banshee are still producing bikes that can run 26 and 27 wheels by just changing the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Is the conversation about brakes ?

I might have missed something .....
    I thought so - how do you decelerate on your bike?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So you're saying we don't have a retro trend pattern in our culture? When I look at kids today I see what I looked like in the 80's and 90's lol. Many riders today started on 650b. 26" very well could be the cool retro thing anytime in the future. I'm surprised how long the current 80's 90's retro trend has lasted. What's next? Shag carpet!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Ironically 650b is exactly where 26" was in 2014. We no longer hear anything about 650b being fast, or the "best of both worlds," It's the "fun" size now, not the sweet spot that was supposed to take over the indusry. We hear the exact same pros and cons for 650b as we did for 26. Considering people have accepted 650b as the size for fun and play, instead of speed and rollover, I wouldn't get my hopes up. We are only talking about 1" after all. That said, never underestimate the industry's wllingness to change standards. Fox is about to bring back 20mm axles, steerer tubes are going to 1.8". Standards will never stop changing. If 650b sales contiue to slump, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a marketing push for fun retro 26'ers.It would take little to no investment bring it back considering all the major tire companies still have tire molds, and geo modes to size down 1" are easier from the manufacturing side of things compared to sizing up 1". Companies like Banshee are still producing bikes that can run 26 and 27 wheels by just changing the dropouts.
    Just call 26” 559 and and no one will be the wiser.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Indeed....people can still rock them....and 26ers too (just not me!).
    You may have seen this, pretty funny.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZbLWub7ybs
    Thats a great video, Bridger is my favorite place to ski out West.

This place needs an enema
    26" still exists. On fatbikes. And in the kids dep't.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    So sayeth the guy with lacemine29 dot com in his signature.
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains, resolving itself into works

So sayeth the guy with lacemine29 dot com in his signature.

You mean the guy that builds wheels all day every day?

The guy that builds whatever people need (or want) for their bikes?

The guy with a pile of 26" rims on his shelves collecting dust? And, for that matter, a pile of 27.5" rims with an equal amount of dust?

I thought so.

Nope, I meant the guy with stakes in the game. The guy profiting off 29er hype. The guy on the 26" forum. If 26 is dead, why would you still be building them?

Nope, I meant the guy with stakes in the game. The guy profiting off 29er hype. The guy on the 26" forum. If 26 is dead, why would you still be building them?

Hype? Ohhhhhhh -- I thought we were having a rational conversation. My bad!

If you remove fatbike wheels and kids wheels from the equation, I've built one set of 26" wheels in this calendar year. That's exactly as many as people have asked me to build.

I'm not trying to get you to remove your head from the sand. You get to put it wherever you want to, and besides -- it seems like a good spot for it.

I'm merely telling you that no one is asking for 26" wheels anymore, except for people that need them for their fatbikes, or for kids.

You can do with that info whatever you like.

Your business is called LaceMine29, with the tagline '29" wheelset for your...' and you expect 27.5 and 26 to be flying off the shelf? And that, to you, seems rational?

Your business is called LaceMine29, and you expect 27.5 and 26 to be flying off the shelf? And that, to you, seems rational?

I don't expect anything to be rational to you.

I build at least as many 27.5+ wheels as I do 29". And roughly the same amount of fat.

Neither of those -- by my maths -- have anything to do with the 29" moniker you seem so afraid of.

EDR
    Your business is called LaceMine29, with the tagline '29" wheelset for your...' and you expect 27.5 and 26 to be flying off the shelf? And that, to you, seems rational?
    Not that I have a dog in this fight however from where I sit you're attitude seems irrational at best.

Mikesee does not manufacture 29'' hoops. He builds wheelsets from parts widely available, hoops/spokes/hubs. Makes no difference to him if you pay him to build a 26'' wheelset or 29''. Dude still gets paid. He's just saying he's in the wheel building game, all day every day so I'm gonna bet he has a finger or two on the pulse of what people are asking for, more so than you I'm guessing.

Just watch, when 26'' wheels are all the rage, his website will be WWW.lacemine26.com

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

Just watch, when 26'' wheels are all the rage, his website will be WWW.lacemine26.com
    But that doesn't rhyme

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

If 26 does come back, I'm sure zero percent of the old 26 frames, wheels, forks, etc will be compatible with the new standards.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    If 26 does come back, I'm sure zero percent of the old 26 frames, wheels, forks, etc will be compatible with the new standards.
    26" wheels, now with NEGA-BOOST!!!!

mtbr member
    Oh man...VR17's were awesome! The sweetspot was about 50mph LOL.

If we are all 'supposed to be' on 29ers I'm still behind the times. Ridden 30 years and just got a 27.5 last year by choice. Tight, technical trails combined with an XL frame makes for a HUGE bike at any size so I went with 27.5. I still see a fair amount of 26ers on the trails around me.

EDIT...I've never had a 29er but my next bike will be 29 just to see what all the fuss is about!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

I want to be clear, I have nothing against 29" wheels, people who build them in general, people who ride them, and nothing against mikesee specifically either. I am not afraid of the moniker 29, or the wheels either. I've ridden 29. It was fun. However, this thread is about wether 26 will rise from the ashes. So when a person comes on and says that 26ers are for kids, and fat bikes, a person with a business selling 29 wheels, I'm pointing that out! It's called disclosure: you indicate that you have a financial interest in the discussion.
    Please explain how I'm being irrational in doing this. I'll admit, I was a wee bit snarky, though! Sorry if I got too edgy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hype? Ohhhhhhh -- I thought we were having a rational conversation. My bad!

If you remove fatbike wheels and kids wheels from the equation, I've built one set of 26" wheels in this calendar year. That's exactly as many as people have asked me to build.

I'm not trying to get you to remove your head from the sand. You get to put it wherever you want to, and besides -- it seems like a good spot for it.

I'm merely telling you that no one is asking for 26" wheels anymore, except for people that need them for their fatbikes, or for kids.

You can do with that info whatever you like.
    And you're surprised people aren't asking for custom 26" wheels years after the industry replaced 26" with 27"? How many 135mm QR hubs are you selling? Or 142 for that matter? 27" is just another standards change. Had the industry started with 27", then marketed 26" like they did 650b you would be talking about how no one askes for 27" wheels anymore.

mtbr member
    29ers are just hype? CRAP I have to sell my fuel now.

I too hated 29ers until I found the right 29er. Now I’m in love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poser Administrator

But seriously, I'm hearing more and more about riders who are sick of the whole "$3000 bike" phenomenon digging out the old 26 and remembering how much fun it can be to FEEL the trail instead of CRUSHING it. The best way to revive the 26 market is to buy parts. There are still wheel builders making new wheelsets in 26, tires are still available, marketing is the only reason the size "went away".
    But it'll be an ebike.

There are other options besides going expensive and 26er. A rigid plus size or even standard bike is all one needs to feel the trail and are actually worth the fun you will have.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    I am still surprised how there is still angst against wheel sizes.

I rode 26ers for decades. Tried all the things, the tires, the tubeless, the over the bars. Then I got a 29er and realized that riding could be better. I stopped going over the bars, started cleaning climbs I could never clear before, descended faster, lamented the lack of tire options but realized it was the future. Still have my old 26er but it just hangs in the garage with flat tires, kinda sad really. I have been debating have a local builder add disc mounts to it so I can put 650b commuter tires on it and use it a commuter to supplement my gravel bike, just so I gets use. Otherwise it is just a Ind Fab Deluxe no longer enjoying life.

I understand 27.5 as it can fit in a 29er frame in a larger size, similar to how I could put 650b fat tires in my 700c Width limited gravel bike if I wanted and get a much fatter tire, if that was what I was looking for, or you could mullet it or whatever but I can't imagine that 26ers will come back as a mountain biking size. Even with the newer progressive geometries it wouldn't make sense.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    When i first saw this thread I thought about posting but refrained.

I feel bad for Mikesee, as it’s a new low/twist in the wheel size “wars” to get accused of bias for how you name your business.

Okay, so 26” wheels will come back when you, the general riding public with $ to spend demand them.

Why not email a brand like Santa Cruz and tell them you want a 26” option. Encourage others to do the same. Tell us how that works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when a person comes on and says that 26ers are for kids, and fat bikes,

Go back and re-read what I originally wrote.

I stated a fact -- that those are the places that 26" bikes/wheels exist these days.

You presumed the derogatory context.

mtbr member
    Was riding some trails on Colorado's front range last week, and while talking shop at a trail head after a run down Lower Bitterbrush at Hall Ranch, two of the riders in the group I was following admitted they'd consider buying a modern geo 26" with good components if someone made it. They prefer the agility of 26" over larger wheels on the trails they ride. I feel wheel size really needs to align with what you're riding. Lower Bitterbrush is about as technical as it gets with its rock gardens and boulders. Me personally, I'd wouldn't even consider a 29" on that trail for me. For the same reason these guys would consider riding it on a 26". I tend to agree with them.

If all I rode was XC kinda stuff without the slow steep techy, rooty, rocky, ups and downs I like to hit, I might consider a 29". But that's not what I like to ride, so I'm on a 27.5 I've tried 29" on and off since my first attempt in 2001 on one of Gary's bikes. I know other's will disagree, but for me... just not as nimble and playful as a non-plus 27.5. And far less confident feeling for me on real technical stuff.

I'm one of those that believe 27.5 is "best of both worlds". A bit more roll over ability, a bit longer wheel base, but not as unwieldy tall. I do believe 27.5 allows a good height to length ratio design. But I'm 5-10 with shoes. So that's another factor. Someone at 6' will feel differently.

Every now and then I take out my old '08 Fisher full suspension 26". Every time, the first thing I notice is how quickly it accelerates, and how quickly I can climb a technical obstacle. It's slower coming down, but with it, I can hop it where I need to be.

After thinking about what the guys at Bitterbrush said, and if I frequented that type of trail on a daily basis, I do believe I'd also go against hype and marketing push, and consider a new decent 26"er if it were available. I think 26, 27.5, and 29, all have their place. It's like comparing off road vehicles. Some are meant to rock crawl (26"), some are meant for Baja (29"). Choose your weapon.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    When i first saw this thread I thought about posting but refrained.

I feel bad for Mikesee, as it’s a new low/twist in the wheel size “wars” to get accused of bias for how you name your business.

Okay, so 26” wheels will come back when you, the general riding public with $ to spend demand them.

Why not email a brand like Santa Cruz and tell them you want a 26” option. Encourage others to do the same. Tell us how that works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz already offers a 26" option, it's called the Jackal. It's been in their line up since their days of in house welding. You would be better off contacting Pon Holdings who owns SC now anyway. That goes for most companies now who are under the umbrella of larger corporations many of which don't even have roots in the sport. Times have changed since the days of rider owned companies. The industry drives what we buy, not the other way around.

If 26 comes back it won't be because riders demand it. It will be because 650b sales are so poor companies decide to rehash something old to a new audience. The new fox 38 appears to have 110x20 spacing. Sound familiar? Many riders never owned that spacing so it's new! To think the industry won't rehash 26 to a new audience is being ignorant of how the industry functions. They will probably make it slightly different though kind of like how 110x20 in 2020 is different than 110x20 in 2002.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz already offers a 26" option, it's called the Jackal. It's been in their line up since their days of in house welding. You would be better off contacting Pon Holdings who owns SC now anyway. That goes for most companies now who are under the umbrella of larger corporations many of which don't even have roots in the sport. Times have changed since the days of rider owned companies. The industry drives what we buy, not the other way around.

If 26 comes back it won't be because riders demand it. It will be because 650b sales are so poor companies decide to rehash something old to a new audience. The new fox 38 appears to have 110x20 spacing. Sound familiar? Many riders never owned that spacing so it's new! To think the industry won't rehash 26 to a new audience is being ignorant of how the industry functions. They will probably make it slightly different though kind of like how 110x20 in 2020 is different than 110x20 in 2002.
    Are 650b sales will plummeting? Last I hear, they were not doing so well but don't know if it had turned around. I could see 26" bikes coming back in ebike form.

Music & Bikes

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post

It's the other way around : it's the industry , the magazines , the sponsored race riders who creates, promotes new standard and post how it's the best thing since hot water , then people follow blindly.....

Do you think people will buy a 26er when everyone and their mother says that it's not cool to ride them ?

26ers looks so bad on Instagram....

Make 26er with "modern" approach , it will be more fun than any 26er you've ever tried.
    I know , I custom ordered a 26er frame wich is my main MTB.
    (because nobody makes them anymore)

And cycling is not the only place where industry imposes trends , I work in music business....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Are 650b sales will plummeting? Last I hear, they were not doing so well but don't know if it had turned around. I could see 26" bikes coming back in ebike form.
    No idea, just speculating. It's pretty clear 29'ers are moving in on every market not currently occupied by 26", so it's not hard to imagine declining 650b sales. So much will hinge on if 29'ers continue to grow in popularity. All signs point to yes. So imagine a market where 29'ers dominate sales in every market other than tiny markets like SS, DJ... Where does that leave 650b? In that market it actually makes sense to rehash 26". Hybrid slope style/trail bikes along side 29'er trail/race bikes. 650b was always an attempt to blend those two worlds but it seems that marketing push has died. If people buy 29'ers in the xc through DH markets, 650b starts to look kind of silly compared to 26. Does anyone think the 50 to 01 crew is better off on 650b? They ride 650b because that's what their sponsors make, not because it's better than 26 for how they ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I think the problem as of this year is that the tire selection in 26" has really waned. I have two 26" bikes and the tire selection is just terrible compared to even 3-4 years ago. There are tires in every category, but even with dozens of tires available, the selection is less than ideal compared to 584 and 622. Sadly, I think this will be the death of 26.
    It's really only new mold tires that are absent. Maybe it's where you're shopping that's giving you trouble finding tires? Chainreactioncycles right now has nearly as many 26" tires as 29. Minion's are still offered in 26". If there are better tires I haven't tired them and my main bike is 650b so I've tried multiple options I can't get in 26. Currently on the new Assegai. I'm going back to DHF/DHR like my 26'er.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    26er's will come back. "They are so light!" "The acceleration is amazing!" "Stiffer wheels!".

Some of my fastest strava times were from 2012 when I was riding a Rush SL6 that was too big and using crappy flat pedals. I could gain speed really fast with that bike and I was riding it with a 1x9...

I think a 26er with modern geo would be pretty awesome.
    One of the most talented DH racers going today feels the same way. He says in this interview he timed faster on 26" compared to 650b, geo held constant. He raced 650b because that's what his sponsor makes.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Ma...g-Serious,1853

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Yes....the bike industry is in the midst of doing so as we speak! Ponder the new 650 PLUS gravel bikes
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Thats a great video, Bridger is my favorite place to ski out West.
    It's toss up between BB and Big Sky for me but I did just by my 21st season pass for Bridger Bowl yesterday!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Being a diehard vintage MTB guy I just can’t let go of the 26” wheel. I can see the advantages of a 29er. But a 650B just doesn’t have any real advantage over a 26 or 29.. It’s almost like the worst of both worlds. It just doesn’t do anything well enough to justify even tooling up a separate bike model. These are just the ramblings of an old guy stuck in the Seventies.
    who cares? I love riding my NOS 26er and also enjoy my 29er and 650b. I don't care if people think i'm a dork. My 26er is FUN...nuff said. As a side note here is an affordable 26er frame from NS bikes, hard to come by any 26er frame these days other then dodgy frames from China. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod152990

mtbr member
    I think I’m actually picking up a 2006 stumpy FSR tomorrow. I’ve been looking for a cheap but rideable bike for camping and it might just fit the bill.

I’m no geo expert but the geo on it doesn’t look that bad. I expect it will be pretty fun on my local trails but I bet it’s gonna suck on technical climbs. Sometimes I need my bulldozer to clear roots and rocks while climbing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think that the 26er will come back... It may take some time but it will happen. The comeback will be announced on the internet with articles titled "Are 26ers more fun to ride than 29ers?"... then some folks in Colorado who never rode 26ers will try them and love them... so the new fashion of riding the antique bikes will be a thing.

These days I'm riding my Ventana Pantera and Titus Loco Moto - very similar but different bikes with the single pivot design that makes them quite durable and fun to ride. Both are over 16 years old, they weigh 24 and 26 pounds respectively. Very quick to turn and still looking great with their black anodized finish... riding them with flat narrow bars and bar ends - and I love that set up. If they last another 16 years, I'll be in my 60's so who knows what I'll be doing then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A 26" wheel is the perfect size for a BMX cruiser. I think it is dead for mountain biking anywhere with rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

I stated a fact -- that those are the places that 26" bikes/wheels exist these days.

You presumed the derogatory context.
    And dirt jump bikes.

There are always going to be 26in wheels as long as people are riding DJs.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The way I see it : the other sizes (27.5 and 29) did not negate the need for 26er. Along with + tires and geometry its all tech evolution , it just made certain things to do with bike better. There is no need to revert back to less standards because the 3 we have now each found their niche. That and the fact that each niche overlap (geo, tire sieze) but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that we need yet another size at the moment. Actually we are going back to a geometry standardization across each niche.

More and more like the way all small SUVs tend to look alike because each has to pass the same wind turbine test . Manufacturers keep the change that is working is working until they all look alike and then the sport evolve and then the cycle repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I will never go back to 26" but the rider is more important than the bike. I ride with a guy who rides a 26" and he has no problem kicking my ass.

FWIW, I don't see much need for a fat bike. They are probably not the best tool for the job in most conditions. People still have fun riding them all the same. If you like 26", go for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    I will never go back to 26" but the rider is more important than the bike. I ride with a guy who rides a 26" and he has no problem kicking my ass.

FWIW, I don't see much need for a fat bike. They are probably not the best tool for the job in most conditions. People still have fun riding them all the same. If you like 26", go for it.
    Skills > tool, we agree.

Where you saw a fatbike I saw an all around bike with swappable wheels than I can use all year round for everything , everywhere. The early Fatbikes were really awfull for all of that, but the ones right now are stellar! And they they too found their niche.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    So you're saying we don't have a retro trend pattern in our culture? When I look at kids today I see what I looked like in the 80's and 90's lol. Many riders today started on 650b. 26" very well could be the cool retro thing anytime in the future. I'm surprised how long the current 80's 90's retro trend has lasted. What's next? Shag carpet!
    Yeah, but that's just fashion. You may see people start dressing like it is 1985 and pretending that Phil Collins' music did not suck at the time, but they are not buying tubed TVs and carrying around cell phones the size of toasters.

MTB fashion may bring back purple anodized components and neon paint schemes, but canti brakes, elastomer shocks, and 26" wheels are probably done for trailbikes, outside of niche markets.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A 26" wheel is the perfect size for a BMX cruiser. I think it is dead for mountain biking anywhere with rocks.
    So you never rode a 65 or slacker 26'er? Such angles create front attack angles that are more aggressive than 650b's with steeper HA's. Rear attack angle is more about your frames axle path not wheel size. A more vertical axle path on a 26"er will carry more speed though chunk than a 650b with a less vertical axle path. Remember, the difference between 650b and 26" is not 1.5", it's 1", and you half that for attack angle. If you bog down in the chunk on 26", you will bog down on 650b too. There simply isn't enough difference in the radius between those sizes to make a real difference in attack angle. This is a big reason why 29'ers are selling like hot cakes. 650b does not do big wheel things like naturally providing an aggressive attack angle.

BMX curisers are 24" right? Never heard of a 26" BMX cruiser. That's called a DJ, or SS bike.

You've never heard of 26" bmx? You need to learn some history! The whole reason for 26 on mtb is because of the new 26" bmx class that came out in like '79. Suddenly, alloy wheels were available in 26, and became the MTB standard Otherwise we might all be arguing over wether VV of America's 20" mountain bikes would ever rise from the ashes.
    Heard of Cook Bros? Put your bib on to catch the drool, here's a 26" Cooks BMX.Name:  th96VPFH7A.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  39.4 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Yeah, but that's just fashion. You may see people start dressing like it is 1985 and pretending that Phil Collins' music did not suck at the time, but they are not buying tubed TVs and carrying around cell phones the size of toasters.

MTB fashion may bring back purple anodized components and neon paint schemes, but canti brakes, elastomer shocks, and 26" wheels are probably done for trailbikes, outside of niche markets.
    Yeah, but the point is that 26" wheels and tires are lighter and faster than 27.5" wheels and tires. It is like having the iPod and going to the Sony Walkman and being told it was better!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, but the point is that 26" wheels and tires are lighter and faster than 27.5" wheels and tires. It is like having the iPod and going to the Sony Walkman and being told it was better!
    Actually, the point is the one I was responding to: retro-fashion (Look at what I was quoting and responding to)
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post

True. My fashion/pop culture analogy isn't directly relevant. What is relevant is the industry has a history of rehashing old stuff to a new audience. Examples: wide rims, 2.6 to 3.0 tires, coil forks, inline coil shocks, tri spoke composite wheels... 26" is just a rim size, it's hardly like digging up canti brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You've never heard of 26" bmx? You need to learn some history! The whole reason for 26 on mtb is because of the new 26" bmx class that came out in like '79. Suddenly, alloy wheels were available in 26, and became the MTB standard Otherwise we might all be arguing over wether VV of America's 20" mountain bikes would ever rise from the ashes.
    Heard of Cook Bros? Put your bib on to catch the drool, here's a 26" Cooks BMX.Name:  th96VPFH7A.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  39.4 KB
    Did not know about 26" BMX and I raced BMX from 83 to 85. Everyone at my local tracks rode nothing but 20"ers. I always heard 26" came from beach cruisers well before 79. The only BMX cruisers I've ever seen were 24".

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Was riding some trails on Colorado's front range last week, and while talking shop at a trail head after a run down Lower Bitterbrush at Hall Ranch, two of the riders in the group I was following admitted they'd consider buying a modern geo 26" with good components if someone made it. They prefer the agility of 26" over larger wheels on the trails they ride. I feel wheel size really needs to align with what you're riding. Lower Bitterbrush is about as technical as it gets with its rock gardens and boulders. Me personally, I'd wouldn't even consider a 29" on that trail for me. For the same reason these guys would consider riding it on a 26". I tend to agree with them.

If all I rode was XC kinda stuff without the slow steep techy, rooty, rocky, ups and downs I like to hit, I might consider a 29". But that's not what I like to ride, so I'm on a 27.5 I've tried 29" on and off since my first attempt in 2001 on one of Gary's bikes. I know other's will disagree, but for me... just not as nimble and playful as a non-plus 27.5. And far less confident feeling for me on real technical stuff.

I'm one of those that believe 27.5 is "best of both worlds". A bit more roll over ability, a bit longer wheel base, but not as unwieldy tall. I do believe 27.5 allows a good height to length ratio design. But I'm 5-10 with shoes. So that's another factor. Someone at 6' will feel differently.

Every now and then I take out my old '08 Fisher full suspension 26". Every time, the first thing I notice is how quickly it accelerates, and how quickly I can climb a technical obstacle. It's slower coming down, but with it, I can hop it where I need to be.

After thinking about what the guys at Bitterbrush said, and if I frequented that type of trail on a daily basis, I do believe I'd also go against hype and marketing push, and consider a new decent 26"er if it were available. I think 26, 27.5, and 29, all have their place. It's like comparing off road vehicles. Some are meant to rock crawl (26"), some are meant for Baja (29"). Choose your weapon.
    If you want to try a modern 26'er, try a mini mullet. Just drop a 26" rear wheel in your frame. I'm doing that with a nomad3. 180mm fork sets my BB back to stock but even with the same fork you won't drop much. There's some synergy going on with 26/27 wheels. It's like the rear follows the arc the front carves in corners just a little tighter which lends itself to drifting, and tight inside lines. Of course acceleration is pure 26'er, and the whole attack angle benefits of 650b which is way over emphasized IMO, ends up being essentially identical to full 650b assuming you're not on a hardtail.

Mini mullet is the ticket for riders that want 26" but also want new geo. My mini mullet's numbers are pretty dialed: 64 HA, 75 ST, longer reach, 13.4" BB. Maybe one day we'll see 26'ers with such numbers. Until then, you can basically have it with a mini mullet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There are a few still made. The Fairdale Taj is an example.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    This is a big reason why 29'ers are selling like hot cakes. 650b does not do big wheel things like naturally providing an aggressive attack angle.
    Yup : A single front sus 29er with 2.8 tire is a do everything go anywhere fun machine that define the sport I call MTB in 2019. IMO. You can call it a trail bike.

Other bikes are for MTB "Discipline" -> DH, Vert, DJ, 4X, Enduro, Their popularity tend to vary per decade.

mtbr member
    If you want to try a modern 26'er, try a mini mullet. Just drop a 26" rear wheel in your frame. I'm doing that with a nomad3. 180mm fork sets my BB back to stock but even with the same fork you won't drop much. There's some synergy going on with 26/27 wheels. It's like the rear follows the arc the front carves in corners just a little tighter which lends itself to drifting, and tight inside lines. Of course acceleration is pure 26'er, and the whole attack angle benefits of 650b which is way over emphasized IMO, ends up being essentially identical to full 650b assuming you're not on a hardtail.

Mini mullet is the ticket for riders that want 26" but also want new geo. My mini mullet's numbers are pretty dialed: 64 HA, 75 ST, longer reach, 13.4" BB. Maybe one day we'll see 26'ers with such numbers. Until then, you can basically have it with a mini mullet.
    Yeah... the mullet thing. That may have some influence on whet the OP originally asked (Will the 26er ever rise from the ashes?). 26" may find new mainstream life in that way. Not really a new idea though. Our motocross bikes were 'mullet' back in the 1970's. We didn't call 'em mullets though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'd honestly like to see 26in make at least a mini comeback. I think at this point 29ers are going to continue to dominate the mountain bike market and for good reason. 27.5 will continue to be around because of 27.5+.

But there is a reason why dirt jumpers haven't switched from 26 and why they are still loved by park guys. They are better for trick based riding and they always will be. With jibbing and the like becoming more popular (see the 50 to 01 guys), it would make sense for some companies to release bikes that are more trail capable then dirt jumpers for this kind of riding. A 26in wheel is going to be stronger for when a 360 or 180 is landed sideways. A smaller wheel is going to make the bike more flickable. This is always going to be a niche market but so is fat biking or rigid or single speed but people still make bikes for that and I am glad that they are.

I highly doubt they are ever going to make a comeback for XC or enduro bikes though.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I highly doubt they are ever going to make a comeback for XC or enduro bikes though.
    Maybe they will make a comeback, maybe they won't. But everything old is new again. I'm heavily vested into Eighties MTB's so that's the only reason I like them. It's a good size wheel for just tooling around. The 650B just doesn't do anything that much better than a 26" to justify its existence. But it exists so people are voting with their wallets and that is all that matters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Maybe they will make a comeback, maybe they won't. But everything old is new again. I'm heavily vested into Eighties MTB's so that's the only reason I like them. It's a good size wheel for just tooling around. The 650B just doesn't do anything that much better than a 26" to justify its existence. But it exists so people are voting with their wallets and that is all that matters.
    I mean enduro bikes are increasing going 29er and XC bikes have been that way for a while and 29ers are faster that is what matters on those bikes. I agree that regular 27.5 doesn't do anything better then a 26er but unless 29+ kills off 27.5+, 27.5 will be around in some form. My big worry is smaller wheels will pretty much die completely.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I mean enduro bikes are increasing going 29er and XC bikes have been that way for a while and 29ers are faster that is what matters on those bikes. I agree that regular 27.5 doesn't do anything better then a 26er but unless 29+ kills off 27.5+, 27.5 will be around in some form. My big worry is smaller wheels will pretty much die completely.
    27.5 plus is already on its way out unless the industry starts calling 2.6 plus. We are already seeing fewer 27.5+ options in both tires, and frames. There's been little to no marketing for it so that should tell us the industry isn't looking to make further investments in tire molds, frames...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    27.5 plus is already on its way out unless the industry starts calling 2.6 plus. We are already seeing fewer 27.5+ options in both tires, and frames. There's been little to no marketing for it so that should tell us the industry isn't looking to make further investments in tire molds, frames...
    I don't completely agree with that. It seem that more and more aggressive hardtails offer the ability to run 27.5+ as well as 29 and a lot of rigid and adventure bikes offer 27.5+. It does seem to be going away on full sus bikes though and becoming more of a niche thing but I don't think it will die. Much like fat bikes it is settling into a niche.

Personally I see the market becoming mostly 29. With 27.5+ becoming a niche for adventure/touring/rigid/ hardtails. 29+ for adventure/touring/rigid. 27.5 for the bike park/ trick based trail riding group (another niche). Fat bikes for snow, sand and adventure (niche). 26 for dirt jumping.

The only way I see 27.5+ dying completely is if 29+ takes over the adventure/touring market.

mtbr member
    For 2020, there is a high end trek remedy in 27.5. There is a 27.5 high end carbon enduro from spec for 2020. Giant has 27.5 high end carbon trances for 2020.

Thats just the big 3, a gagillion small brands offer an array of 27.5 bikes.

Not only is it not on the way out, brand new models, forks, tires, and wheels are rolling out all the time. Full blown support and innovation.

The problem with mullet 26/27 bikes is that the rear wheel is already pretty close in size. You end up running an old outdated rim for no good reason.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    For 2020, there is a high end trek remedy in 27.5. There is a 27.5 high end carbon enduro from spec for 2020. Giant has 27.5 high end carbon trances for 2020.

Thats just the big 3, a gagillion small brands offer an array of 27.5 bikes.

Not only is it not on the way out, brand new models, forks, tires, and wheels are rolling out all the time. Full blown support and innovation.

The problem with mullet 26/27 bikes is that the rear wheel is already pretty close in size. You end up running an old outdated rim for no good reason.
    Anyone that wants to run a 26" rear wheel doesn't have to run an "outdated rim". I'm running the same rims Bruni just took worlds and the overall title in 26". We are one is offering in house made 26" carbon rims for 2020. Yes options are limited and that might get worse, but kind of like tires, some of the best options are still available. Yes 26/27 wheels are similar in actual size but there are real differences in handling. You get the acceleration and snappiness of 26" with the extra .5" of attack angle of 27, but what really stands out to me is how that .5 difference in radius plays out in the corners. It's almost like you're angled better for cornering like camber on a sports car.

Anyway, it's a good option for anyone that wants a "modern" 26'er that's not made by banshee.

mtbr member
    Somewhere, Nicolas Vouilloz is drinking a nice glass of wine, reading this and muttering "quelle chatte"...

Co Springs
    I guess the short answer is likely a "NO" from your title question.

I don't see why it matters really though.
    Ride what you like or love, keep it up and in good operation. Buy parts as you need or available, make them if you have to.
    Your fun and enjoyment isn't defined by how many others are riding 26 at any given moment or if it is, get some counseling or help.

People are still shootin' black powder or carrying revolvers, I see sourpuss faces on people riding around in those $58,000 Wranglers and happy grins in 72 CJ-5's that sold new for $2,955. I have two 26 ers too sturdy to burn. Whatever the ashes, they were born of something else.

bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    26"wheels rock, the industry sucks!!
    I only last year changed my dual sus to 27.5. Honestly cant see myself riding a 29er. I dont like it, its dead, not as playful as a 26er neither is 27.5 but at least its a little better. I was the last of our group to change wheel size. I was faster than all of them 29" and 27.5" guys and some of them are better riders than me as well as at least 5 years younger. I am mid 40's. Probably is an old man thing but 26 are much more agile and playful. A friend of mine went from 29er hardtail to hightower, to a 27.5 bronson and guess what. He bought himself and old 26er dual suspension mtb. He rides the 26er the most. He started on 29 as thats what everyone convinced him to buy as its "industry standard"
    I still have some parts and would like to build another 26er, but the 26er bmx(I know about these, but forgot) sounds very tempting too!!

mtbr member
    I really like my 29er but I can see why some people don’t like them. IMO they are faster in a lot of situations but they do kinda dub down some trails. I’ve been setting a lot of PRs this season with my FS 29er and a lot of it is due to it being a tank.

Most of my PRs were set on a 2007 Rush SL6 which I really liked. I had a HT XC 29er that I hated and then a 27.5 Breezer repack that I hated.

Big wheels have their place but I would like to see some smaller wheel options out there. Acceleration and DH was amazing on the Rush.

Bipolar roller

I stated a fact -- that those are the places that 26" bikes/wheels exist these days...
    bike park? 26” dominates there. Pump track, dual slalom, DJ, rhythm dirt jumps, flow track, slope style etc. Not just for fat bikes and kids, at tournament I went to a couple weeks ago most all were riding 26”. My next new mtb will be a DJ and of course 26” .

Now, with 26” the go to size there and 29ers now pretty much dominate all other forms of mtb, what is it that 27.5” is best at again?
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Where the return to prolific 26" would be great, and where the hole is now, is for youth and other such short people who are ready for a real MTB but too short for a decent 27.5"-wheeled bike -- and that's a lot of people who are then shunted off to department store crap.

For those with 26ers still out there, it's the tire availability that's killing us over time: wider, better tires are rare and expensive. Narrow stuff is still out there, of course.

mtbr member
    I sold my 2014 commencal meta sx to a 14 year old. His dad was are you sure you dont want a 29er, he was like no, this is better.
    Even the geo of the commencal is modern. I bought new tyres for it early last year. Continental de kaiser projects. You still get a range from continental.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In this corner, we have the 29er, a 2018 Trek Top Fuel. 100mm front and rear, and the highly regarded RE:aktiv shock.
    Weight: 28.5lbs, including trail bell, bottle cage, mini frame pump, a saddlebag with a spare tube, patch kit, Crank Bros multitool, tire levers, extra zip ties, padded bag for keys, and extra chain link.
    Has bar ends (yes, bar ends, I like them), a carbon post, Bontrager XXX front wheel with Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29x2.25 Addix Speedgrip tubeless, and custom built rear with DT Swiss 350, Stan's rim, with a Continental Race King protection (Black Chili) tubeless. Two of the fastest tires out there.
    XT and SLX 1x11 drivetrain, Fox Rhythm 32 fork with Push seals.
    Shimano hydraulic disks. Nice, short 50mm stem, 730bars, mino link in the low, slack position.
    In short, it has all the goodies to make it a slayer of the old-school.

In the other corner, we have the 26er: a lowly 2001 GT I-Drive Team, 80mm front and rear.
    Weight 28lbs fully loaded, including trail bell, bottle cage, mini frame pump, a saddlebag with a spare tube, patch kit, Blackburn multitool, tire levers, extra zip ties, small knife, padded bag for keys, and extra chain link. Also has a wired computer and wheel weight.
    Has bar ends, old XTR/Mavic 217 front wheel and LX/217 rear. Specialized S-Works 2.2 Fast Traks with Michelin Aircomp Latex tubes. 3x9 drivetrain, mix of XT and LX stuff from the early 2000s.
    2002 or so Manitou Six Deluxe: coil and a small elastomer with TPC damping.
    The elastomer and seals are hardened, and one of the seals is missing the foam ring. It is on its last leg.
    Shimano V-brakes with Kool Stop pads.
    100mm stem, grips are 610mm apart.
    It has a short wheelbase, low BB, tiny wheels, narrow low-tread tires, narrow bars, long stem!!!
    This doesn't look like a fair fight.
    Oh, the horror! I'm gonna die trying to ride that thing on a trail!

The trail: 7.3 miles of fun, intermediate twisty singletrack in Southeast Michigan. Dry, fairly smooth, loose over hardpack, with blown out sandy gravelly corners. Some very fast downhills, jumps, with bermed and non-bermed switchbacks. About 700' climbing.
    Some guys ride with full face helmets because you can get some serious air on numerous jumps.
    It isn't a hard trail. But, it tricks you into riding faster and faster until you hit a sandy gravelly turn at speed and the bike shoots away from you so fast you don't even have time to get your hands off the bars to help break the fall.

The results, excerpted from my log:

July 14
    Trek: 70 degrees, somewhat humid, nice trail conditions. Slowed 3 times to pass other riders.
    39:49. This was my first time under 40mins. I rode the Trek 5 more times over the next 2 weeks.

July 28
    First ride on the GT this year: 85 degrees, very humid 77%. Hard to breathe. Trail very nice.
    Slowed by 3 riders. Pulled off trail for a pair of faster riders about 20 seconds apart.
    39:41. This was the second time under 40mins.

There are more examples like this in my log.

Ok, so the times are pretty close.
    But, how is this even possible?
    For the past 2 years I have ridden the Trek about 20x as often as the GT, so I am very used to it.
    29ers are supposed to be all that and a bag of chips. It has super fast/wider tubeless tires, better suspension, newer geometry (pretty long and slack compared to the GT), light weight.

I know how it is possible: the GT handles beautifully. It is quick handling, but not twitchy (but it will punish inattention). It is supremely confident on tight switchbacks. It feels composed almost everywhere (the Trek is better over some giant roots and rocks).
    In fact, the front tire on the GT sticks better in the corners than the Trek, probably because of better weight distribution and a shorter wheelbase. ?

Lately, I've been running much more aggressive tires on the Trek (DHF, DHR and XR4) to try to get better grip. The front end tends to feel just a bit pushy, I think because of the rearward weight bias, length of the bike and the big wheels.
    Isn't the big 29er contact patch supposed to lay down amazing grip?

On another related note, I've measured weight distribution on both bikes.
    In order to make the fore/aft weight the same on the Trek, I have to drop the bars to shift the weight forward.
    This places a lot of pressure on my hands. I have never had hand pain before. The combo of wider bars and short/low stem is the primary reason.
    The same weight distribution on the GT has less pressure on the hands, because the overall weight is a bit more forward.
    My engineer father in law helped confirm this with scales and pressure sensors on the grips.

Back on topic: The GT also accelerates quickly, and despite some differing opinions, I firmly believe that the bigger 29 wheels require much more effort to accelerate and turn. I can feel the bike trying to remain straight, whereas the GT dutifully follows subtle commands.
    I waste a lot of energy forcing the Trek to turn.

On bigger, more open trails (the Poto, in my area) the long, low, slack bikes are probably better. But on the tight, twisty singletrack with a lot of accelerations and shorter, punchy climbs, (DTE, Brighton, Maybury) the little GT reigns.

I'm an artifact in that I had a period of nearly a decade (2006-2016) where I was mostly out of the mountain biking scene. I rode, but didn't have time to pay attention to the trends.
    I was excited to try the newer tech, and treated myself to a 27.5 Anthem, but couldn't get comfortable on it, so I picked up a Top Fuel.

Will 26ers rise again? Probably not.
    I can see where larger wheels benefit taller riders in particular. Many like the modern geometry.
    I get it. If you are having fun, that is what counts.
    I'm torn. Certain aspects work for me, but overall I prefer oldish geo, and smaller wheels.

Another side note:. The GT isn't as short and steep as you may think. The HT angle is 70-70.5 degrees. The reach is within millimeters of the Trek (the I-Drive Team model had longer reach than other GT models), the stack is actually 20mm higher.
    The biggest difference with the Trek is the giant wheels, and the wheelbase, which is 100mm longer.

I see some posters proclaiming that new geo is universally awesome, but this doesn't reflect my experience.
    I paid way more for the Trek than I did for the GT, yet in my experience, they are roughly equal in performance and fun.
    Long live the 26er...

Bob

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm considering a "Maxi-mullet: a 29" fork and wheel on the front of my old Ellsworth Joker.
    I've done such a conversion before on an all-rigid Jamis Dragon frame, and it worked well on the downhill handling.

So, anybody know of where I can still get a 170mm 29er fork with a straight 1/18" steer tube?

-Ray

mtbr member
    Well yesterday I just blew my friends bubble with his newly acquired jeffsey. His previous bike was a 27.5 reign. On the climb up we were chatting, he was like this thing is so plush, it rolls over stuff and feels very coil like etc etc. So I ask him, dont he think the playfulness is less and its almost as if its dumbing down the trails. He goes quiet for a while. ANyway, he has 2.6 inch tyres front and back and he was like this is the first bike he feels so confident about. So i talk to him about tyres and widths and how they react. Wider tyres helps alot.
    So anyway on the decent this is a guy who is normally on my wheel ended up being 20 or so seconds back. He certainly was not slow as we left the other guys for days. Could of been due to all the extremely tight, some steep, some wall ride berms.
    On another day, maybe he will be faster, but I can certainly agree, no one bike is faster, no one wheel size is faster. Ride what you like, and enjoy. Industry is there to push sales, survive the world of business and continue to grow. If not, then they will have to close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinbob View Post

July 14
    Trek: 70 degrees, somewhat humid, nice trail conditions. Slowed 3 times to pass other riders.
    39:49. This was my first time under 40mins. I rode the Trek 5 more times over the next 2 weeks.

July 28
    First ride on the GT this year: 85 degrees, very humid 77%. Hard to breathe. Trail very nice.
    Slowed by 3 riders. Pulled off trail for a pair of faster riders about 20 seconds apart.

I don't doubt that you're faster on your old 26" bike but without power meter data and a lot more runs that info doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Interesting nonetheless.
    I brake for stinkbugs

No known cure
    I've decided to send my custom Ventana back to be reconditioned and inspected rather than buy a new bike. The geo is the same as current bikes, except for the HT angle. I feel I"m slack enough at 67* and can always get a -1* headset if I want. I don't want to ride a chopper.

The CCDB and Zoke 44 RC3 Ti both need to be serviced and I could probably bump up from 9spd.

Other than that, there's no need to spend any more money.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    It did it's called 26 plus...now dead also!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For those that want a "modern" 26'er here's one way to do it. I ran this as full 650b, mini mullet, and full 26'er as seen here. I sold this frame because it was longer than I like (444 reach), but I will say it was super fast and stable at speed, I just prefer a shorter wheel base and a more compact feel. Here's the numbers you can have with 26" wheels: 64 HA, 75 ST, 14.5 BB, longer reach. This frame was great to try as a 26'er because it had a taller than average BB. Basically any 650b frame can be set up for 26" or mini mullets. The used market is spilling over with killer deals on 650b stuff because it's no longer the new thing everyone wants. No need to bitch about a lack of "modern 26'ers" for those that build rather than buy complete bikes. Just because you can't order up a 26"er with the geo you want doesn't mean you can't have it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will the 26er ever rise from the ashes?-p5pb16416996.jpg  

mtbr member
    For those that want a "modern" 26'er here's one way to do it. I ran this as full 650b, mini mullet, and full 26'er as seen here. I sold this frame because it was longer than I like (444 reach), but I will say it was super fast and stable at speed, I just prefer a shorter wheel base and a more compact feel. Here's the numbers you can have with 26" wheels: 64 HA, 75 ST, 14.5 BB, longer reach. This frame was great to try as a 26'er because it had a taller than average BB. Basically any 650b frame can be set up for 26" or mini mullets. The used market is spilling over with killer deals on 650b stuff because it's no longer the new thing everyone wants. No need to bitch about a lack of "modern 26'ers" for those that build rather than buy complete bikes. Just because you can't order up a 26"er with the geo you want doesn't mean you can't have it.
    Good point! That opens things up for the smaller and younger rider looking for a "real" bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Good point! That opens things up for the smaller and younger rider looking for a "real" bike.
    Probably tough to build a 650b with 26" wheels for a kid considering how long bikes are now. The bike pictured is size M but has a TT and reach of a size L or XL from 2012. Even this frame in size S runs longer than all the size M's I ran in the past. A kid would be better off buying an old 26'er in size S or XS. A great kids bike would be a 24/26 old 26'er. Considering old bikes are tall you would still have a manageable BB height.

mtbr member
    In this corner, we have the 29er, a 2018 Trek Top Fuel. 100mm front and rear, and the highly regarded RE:aktiv shock.
    Weight: 28.5lbs, including trail bell, bottle cage, mini frame pump, a saddlebag with a spare tube, patch kit, Crank Bros multitool, tire levers, extra zip ties, padded bag for keys, and extra chain link.
    Has bar ends (yes, bar ends, I like them), a carbon post, Bontrager XXX front wheel with Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29x2.25 Addix Speedgrip tubeless, and custom built rear with DT Swiss 350, Stan's rim, with a Continental Race King protection (Black Chili) tubeless. Two of the fastest tires out there.
    Shimano hydraulic disks. Nice, short 50mm stem, 730bars, mino link in the low, slack position.

In the other corner, we have the 26er: a lowly 2001 GT I-Drive Team, 80mm front and rear.
    Weight 28lbs fully loaded, including trail bell, bottle cage, mini frame pump, a saddlebag with a spare tube, patch kit, Blackburn multitool, tire levers, extra zip ties, small knife, padded bag for keys, and extra chain link. Also has a wired computer and wheel weight.
    Has bar ends, old XTR/Mavic 217 front wheel and LX/217 rear. Specialized S-Works 2.2 Fast Traks with Michelin Aircomp Latex tubes. 3x9 drivetrain, mix of XT and LX stuff from the early 2000s.
    The elastomer and seals are hardened, and one of the seals is missing the foam ring. It is on its last leg.
    It has a short wheelbase, low BB, tiny wheels, narrow low-tread tires, narrow bars, long stem!!!

The trail: 7.3 miles of fun, intermediate twisty singletrack in Southeast Michigan. Dry, fairly smooth, loose over hardpack, with blown out sandy gravelly corners. Some very fast downhills, jumps, with bermed and non-bermed switchbacks. About 700' climbing.
    Some guys ride with full face helmets because you can get some serious air on numerous jumps.
    It isn't a hard trail. But, it tricks you into riding faster and faster until you hit a sandy gravelly turn at speed and the bike shoots away from you so fast you don't even have time to get your hands off the bars to help break the fall.

July 14

July 28

For the past 2 years I have ridden the Trek about 20x as often as the GT, so I am very used to it.
    29ers are supposed to be all that and a bag of chips. It has super fast/wider tubeless tires, better suspension, newer geometry (pretty long and slack compared to the GT), light weight.

I know how it is possible: the GT handles beautifully. It is quick handling, but not twitchy (but it will punish inattention). It is supremely confident on tight switchbacks. It feels composed almost everywhere (the Trek is better over some giant roots and rocks).
    In fact, the front tire on the GT sticks better in the corners than the Trek, probably because of better weight distribution and a shorter wheelbase. ?

Lately, I've been running much more aggressive tires on the Trek (DHF, DHR and XR4) to try to get better grip. The front end tends to feel just a bit pushy, I think because of the rearward weight bias, length of the bike and the big wheels.

In order to make the fore/aft weight the same on the Trek, I have to drop the bars to shift the weight forward.
    This places a lot of pressure on my hands. I have never had hand pain before. The combo of wider bars and short/low stem is the primary reason.
    The same weight distribution on the GT has less pressure on the hands, because the overall weight is a bit more forward.
    My engineer father in law helped confirm this with scales and pressure sensors on the grips.

Back on topic: The GT also accelerates quickly, and despite some differing opinions, I firmly believe that the bigger 29 wheels require much more effort to accelerate and turn. I can feel the bike trying to remain straight, whereas the GT dutifully follows subtle commands.

On bigger, more open trails (the Poto, in my area) the long, low, slack bikes are probably better. But on the tight, twisty singletrack with a lot of accelerations and shorter, punchy climbs, (DTE, Brighton, Maybury) the little GT reigns.

I'm an artifact in that I had a period of nearly a decade (2006-2016) where I was mostly out of the mountain biking scene. I rode, but didn't have time to pay attention to the trends.
    I was excited to try the newer tech, and treated myself to a 27.5 Anthem, but couldn't get comfortable on it, so I picked up a Top Fuel.

I can see where larger wheels benefit taller riders in particular. Many like the modern geometry.
    I'm torn. Certain aspects work for me, but overall I prefer oldish geo, and smaller wheels.

Another side note:. The GT isn't as short and steep as you may think. The HT angle is 70-70.5 degrees. The reach is within millimeters of the Trek (the I-Drive Team model had longer reach than other GT models), the stack is actually 20mm higher.
    The biggest difference with the Trek is the giant wheels, and the wheelbase, which is 100mm longer.

I see some posters proclaiming that new geo is universally awesome, but this doesn't reflect my experience.
    I paid way more for the Trek than I did for the GT, yet in my experience, they are roughly equal in performance and fun.
    Long live the 26er...

Bob

And on both bikes you are basically averaging 11 mph. With 700 ft climbing in 7.2 miles, that is impressive and your level of fitness and the trail itself may be playing a role here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, thanks for the compliment Vespasianus!
    I last raced in 2001. I'm in decent shape, and generally ride for fun but also love to compete against myself sometimes.

And you are correct: I tend to excel on trails that aren't super technical, but have shorter/steeper climbs (don't like rough trails too much).
    I'm guessing must race because you have a keen sense of my performance.

I must say, I'm impressed by the folks that ride some of the super-techy stuff, especially out west. I've ridden some of it, and it was fun but some of it scares me.
    Our trails are not as crazy, but sure are a LOT of fun!

Anyway, if ya like your bike, just proudly ride it and have a good time. I'd love to clone my little GT, because the handling is so intuitive.

Take care,
    Bob

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks for the compliment Vespasianus!
    I last raced in 2001. I'm in decent shape, and generally ride for fun but also love to compete against myself sometimes.

And you are correct: I tend to excel on trails that aren't super technical, but have shorter/steeper climbs (don't like rough trails too much).
    I'm guessing must race because you have a keen sense of my performance.

I must say, I'm impressed by the folks that ride some of the super-techy stuff, especially out west. I've ridden some of it, and it was fun but some of it scares me.
    Our trails are not as crazy, but sure are a LOT of fun!

Anyway, if ya like your bike, just proudly ride it and have a good time. I'd love to clone my little GT, because the handling is so intuitive.

Take care,
    Bob
    Agree. This weekend in a group ride there was a giant guy - maybe 6"7 ridding an old 26" HT. Guess who was the fastest guy there?

Austin, Texas
    I ride my 29er probably 85% of the time, but I still love to ride my frankenstein 26er on certain trails. I just ride with a bit more concentration, a bit more attention to detail with lines, etc...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The guy with a pile of 26" rims on his shelves collecting dust?
    Do you by any chance have super light 26" XC rims on the shelves? Specifically: Stans Valor?

mtbr member
    I had a brand new set of Atomlab Pimplite hoops hanging on the wall in my garage for years. I decided it was time to lace them up to a new pair of Hope Pro-4 hubs and set up my old SX Trail with a 1x11 drive train. I'm so glad I did, this thing is a beast.

Will the 26er ever rise from the ashes?-sx-trail.jpg

mtbr member
    I could imagine in like 10 years a retro come back to 26.
    check out my youtube channel if you want: https://www.youtube.com/HACKANDRIDEBIKES

Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    Do you by any chance have super light 26" XC rims on the shelves? Specifically: Stans Valor?
    Silly human! You aren't supposed to want those. The industry said so. Remember, ashes, never to rise from, and all that?
    JK, Stock up on sixes, if you got a pile of them, it doesn't matter what the trend is!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityryder26 View Post
    I had a brand new set of Atomlab Pimplite hoops hanging on the wall in my garage for years. I decided it was time to lace them up to a new pair of Hope Pro-4 hubs and set up my old SX Trail with a 1x11 drive train. I'm so glad I did, this thing is a beast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SX Trail.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	1286943
    That's one 26'er that will not lose value. As I'm sure you know the trail sx has a cult following. Bearclaw's SX from Roam had me drooling for one. I just watched that vid for the first time in many years because of Lunn passing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    OP, I gotta admit your thread title is quite comical. 26"ers will never go away. The industry just wants more funding on the inflow, or the other wheel sizes would be things of the ephemeral realm. 26ers will continue to be able to do everything you could want from a bicycle, and do them very well.

Just wait a bit, and see what's still there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    OP, I gotta admit your thread title is quite comical. 26"ers will never go away.
    They'll never come back either though. Quill stems, bar ends, rigid forks, triple chainrings and 1.9" tyres haven't gone away either....

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

July 14

July 28

Long live the 26er...

Bob
    Very good post ! I sold my last two 26 a while back but sort of miss them (RacerX and RM Blizzard). Recently built a custom Seven 27.5 HT and really like it in CA. Also ride a Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    They'll never come back either though. Quill stems, bar ends, rigid forks, triple chainrings and 1.9" tyres haven't gone away either....
    I mean rigid forks are still a thing that really isn't that uncommon....

Unlike those other things (minus rigid forks) though I think there is a good reason for 26s to come back.

mtbr member
    Unlike those other things (minus rigid forks) though I think there is a good reason for 26s to come back.
    What significant advantage do they offer over 27.5"? If there was no real reason to change from 26" to 27.5" (other than the bike industry illuminati creating more marketing hype) then surely the same logic applies for the reverse now that 27.5" has become entrenched as the industry standard "small wheel" size for most MTBs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    What significant advantage do they offer over 27.5"? If there was no real reason to change from 26" to 27.5" (other than the bike industry illuminati creating more marketing hype) then surely the same logic applies for the reverse now that 27.5" has become entrenched as the industry standard "small wheel" size for most MTBs?
    26in wheels should be stronger and can allow for short back ends. Also less rotational mass to make them more flickable To me they make more sense for park riding, jibbing, freeriding and obviously street and dirt jumping. Basically any trick based riding. There is a reason dirt jumpers and slopestyle bikes still run 26. And why you still see 26s on bikes at Rampage and the Fest series.

To me the question is what advantages do 27.5 offer over 26.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityryder26 View Post

Name:	SX Trail.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	1286943
    I had an '07. My favorite of all the bikes I've owned.

CS2
    mtbr member
    To me the question is what advantages do 27.5 offer over 26?
    Exactly why I started the thread.

mtbr member
    To me they make more sense for park riding, jibbing, freeriding and obviously street and dirt jumping. Basically any trick based riding. There is a reason dirt jumpers and slopestyle bikes still run 26. And why you still see 26s on bikes at Rampage and the Fest series.
    So basically everything other than the normal every day mountain biking that about 90-something percent of mountain bikes sold are used for?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So basically everything other than the normal every day mountain biking that about 90-something percent of mountain bikes sold are used for?
    Yeah but for 90 percent of the time 29ers make the most sense...

I think 26s make sense to come back as a niche market like fat bikes or 29+. I mean why not why would it hurt. I wouldn't own a 26 as my only bike but as a dick around bike for jibbing, pump tracks, 4x, etc, I would. I am planning on building one up just for that.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah but for 90 percent of the time 29ers make the most sense...

I think 26s make sense to come back as a niche market like fat bikes or 29+. I mean why not why would it hurt. I wouldn't own a 26 as my only bike but as a dick around bike for jibbing, pump tracks, 4x, etc, I would. I am planning on building one up just for that.

What all the people who say 26" will never come back are underestimating is just how much of the market 29'ers could takeover. Since the early days of 29'ers there have been people saying one day 29" will be the standard. People laughed at that but look at where we are now.

29'ers could kill 650b because they compete in the same markets. 650b never completely killed 26" because 26" occupies its own markets. If 29" swallows the 650b market it will actually die. The idea that 26" is coming back like before 650b and before 29'ers became really popular is what's laughable. 26" being an alternative to 29, is looking more and more likely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You could be on to something here. At least I as a 29er trail bike driver am pining for something more nimble and less expensive to complement the big beast. Actually I'm going to build a SS street/dirt/light trail rig out of a 2008 Jamis Komodo next winter. It's going to be the first 26" I have ever owned.

Music & Bikes
    To me the question is what advantages do 27.5 offer over 26.
    None
    It will make you buy a new bike and a lot of new parts and tires.

If you look at odometer charts , a 650 with 2,1 tire is 75mm more than a 26er with a 2,1.
    I call BS for the "so much better roll over" of 650.

Will the 26er ever rise from the ashes?-jbihrbiu4bf.jpg

My 700 wheeled MTB is collecting dust.
    These wheels feels like boat anchor.
    (I agree for the better roll over though)

mtbr member
    It won't come back as 26. It will come back as 26.75! That way, everything will have to be all new!

mtbr member
    None
    It will make you buy a new bike and a lot of new parts and tires.

If you look at odometer charts , a 650 with 2,1 tire is 75mm more than a 26er with a 2,1.

Name:	jbihrbiu4bf.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	1287333

My 700 wheeled MTB is collecting dust.
    These wheels feels like boat anchor.
    (I agree for the better roll over though)
    I don't think anybody sells a bike with a 27.5 X 2.1 tire anymore! Bikes with 27.5 X 2.6 tires are interesting and very different than the old 26" bike. In some ways, they are the gateway drug to 29er.

mtbr member

One could just as easily call bs on 26" wheels being "so much lighter and more flickable" than 27.5
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a 2012 Transition Covert that had about the most "modern" geo at the time. 150/160 travel and the 26" wheels don't hold it back too badly. My new 147/160 Ripmo though, climbs even better and descends and jumps vastly easier. Stability over large jumps is not even close. It's the geo, tires, wide wheels and latest suspension that make all the difference. The best modern 29ers are so nimble handling wise, there's no reason to ever go back.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    One could just as easily call bs on 26" wheels being "so much lighter and more flickable" than 27.5
    Then why are dirt jumpers still using 26in wheels...

mtbr member
    Then why are dirt jumpers still using 26in wheels...

Probably because dirt jumpers ride on super smooth groomed tracks but that wasn't really my point.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Probably because dirt jumpers ride on super smooth groomed tracks but that wasn't really my point.
    Or maybe it is cause it allows for stronger wheels when you land sideways on a 360 attempt, allows for a shorter backend and all things being equal lighter wheels which make the bike more flickable.

Music & Bikes
    Yep but my 26er is paid.
    The 650 that I will not buy isn't.

mtbr member
    Or maybe it is cause it allows for stronger wheels when you land sideways on a 360 attempt, allows for a shorter backend and all things being equal lighter wheels which make the bike more flickable.

Why not 20" wheels? They're even stronger and more flickable.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Yep but my 26er is paid.
    The 650 that I will not buy isn't.

I'm by no means anti 26, they have their place for sure. Can't see them making a comeback for mountain bikes though.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Why not 20" wheels? They're even stronger and more flickable.
    Because they don't have the rollover needed for mountain biking...

Whereas 40+ years of mountain bike has shown 26in has adequate rollover.

Co Springs
    My 6fattie is the same od as a 29'r, hell I dunno even know who to argue with.

Oh, and my 26'r won't goes to ashes. Just remembered the Black Forest Fire from years ago and our friends aluminum ladder. It was a liquefied stream. I guess my bike will just be a puddle I step over.
    I'll be ready !!

When's this gonna happen ?
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    The best modern 29ers are so nimble handling wise, there's no reason to ever go back.
    Road bikes are so smooth riding - there is no reason to ever go offroad... Yeah, that is not how biking works - everyone rides where they like and what they like - hey - you want to go off road on 1 wheel - have fun! I don't really get the whole "26er is dead" mantra that some folks seem to keep repeating - does it offend you to see 26ers on the trails? I'm equally amazed at manufacturers that they don't see an opportunity to make good parts for folks who want to maintain their older bikes - they don't want to make money?
    I love mountain biking as a whole package - riding and building my bikes up from a frame - I have 4 bikes Titus Loco Moto, MotoLite, Yeti 575, and Ventana Pantera - and even though thesa re different manufacturers and the bikes were made between 2002 and 2006 - I can swap all the parts between the Ventana and MotoLite, and between the LocoMoto and 575 (except for front derr). What that means is that at any given time I can keep at least 1 bike running. These bikes all ride differently and each is a ton of fun, I've had them all since new, built them all up, modernized over time and they suit my riding style on the technical east coast trails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    I have a 2012 Transition Covert that had about the most "modern" geo at the time. 150/160 travel and the 26" wheels don't hold it back too badly. My new 147/160 Ripmo though, climbs even better and descends and jumps vastly easier. Stability over large jumps is not even close. It's the geo, tires, wide wheels and latest suspension that make all the difference. The best modern 29ers are so nimble handling wise, there's no reason to ever go back.
    Your 2012 covert didn't have the most modern geo at the time. You had the same geo as an 2006 nomad, or enduro for example. If you want to compare apples to apples you need similar geo to suss out what wheel size is doing for you.

banned
    Nov 2014
    In the near future it is highly unlikely. It is not just a question of availability of frames, hoops, and other 26" components. It is a question of how are bikes being used - and more and more people are going for more rough technical trails.

However in some years, we might experience some small vintage market, and of course, if it happens that bmx/dirt/freeride disciplines became more popular (which is not very likely) 26" are coming back in big style. But the problem is - those few disciplines where 26" inch wheels are clear advantage are themselves a bit adolescent-gimmicky, to say the least. And adolescents do not have a big disposable incomes to lure bike companies back into the 26" game.

Maybe, but this is a highly hypothetical stretch - if China (and India, and some other developing countries) develop MTB culture, we might see return of 26" in big style. The logic is, that USA and Europe are the main markets for bikes, and people in those regions (especially Europe) tend to be a lot higher on average. People in China are a lot smaller, and they simply do not fit 29" geometry properly. So if Chinese people start riding proper MTB (instead of just producing bikes and parts), we might se future with 29" and 26" bikes (as it was a few years ago).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    26" wheels can handle any trail that 29" wheels can. The rougher more tech trails are more easily negotiable because of suspension improvements, mostly, and frame geo for the rest.

Don't ever forget that the big corporations control the way you think.

'

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrmxd View Post
    In the near future it is highly unlikely. It is not just a question of availability of frames, hoops, and other 26" components. It is a question of how are bikes being used - and more and more people are going for more rough technical trails.

However in some years, we might experience some small vintage market, and of course, if it happens that bmx/dirt/freeride disciplines became more popular (which is not very likely) 26" are coming back in big style. But the problem is - those few disciplines where 26" inch wheels are clear advantage are themselves a bit adolescent-gimmicky, to say the least. And adolescents do not have a big disposable incomes to lure bike companies back into the 26" game.

Maybe, but this is a highly hypothetical stretch - if China (and India, and some other developing countries) develop MTB culture, we might see return of 26" in big style. The logic is, that USA and Europe are the main markets for bikes, and people in those regions (especially Europe) tend to be a lot higher on average. People in China are a lot smaller, and they simply do not fit 29" geometry properly. So if Chinese people start riding proper MTB (instead of just producing bikes and parts), we might se future with 29" and 26" bikes (as it was a few years ago).
    More and more are riding rough technical trails? I've rode all over the country. Hands down trials are easier and more sanitized than in the past. here's one example: I recently rode the whole enchilada. It's laughable at how much more tame it is now. They built a bridge over the burrow pass creek gap, sanitized the notch even after putting in the snotch for those that can't ride it; all the technical sections of pork rim single track have been rock ramped or rerouted to easier lines. I can go on and on just in the moab area. Don't get me started on machine built "modern" trails compared to hand built, or old school DH tracks. There's no comparison, bikes have become more capable, trails have become easier. Maybe when 29'ers take over people will want technical again? I won't hold my breath though. The pattern has been clear over the past 10+ years. It's going to take a major culture change in the MTB community that I'm not seeing any signs of.

mtbr member
    Silly human! You aren't supposed to want those. The industry said so. Remember, ashes, never to rise from, and all that?
    JK, Stock up on sixes, if you got a pile of them, it doesn't matter what the trend is!
    I already have stocked up. ;-)
    And in contrast to many I can think for myself and find out what works for me. Building a super light 26" XC bike ATM, this is why I need light rims. If 29" wheels can go down to below 1200 g, then 800-900 g 26" wheels should be possible as well.

Co Springs
    26" wheels can handle any trail that 29" wheels can. The rougher more tech trails are more easily negotiable because of suspension improvements, mostly, and frame geo for the rest.

Through the years, I've seen a lot of those 'test' videos putting rubber to the trail. Same bike and variations on wheel size with same tire have proven many specs on paper and fractions of an inch or a few mm here or there doesn't really show up at the finish line or on the timed runs.
    The same rider trying to hold the exact same line each run and variations on the dirt or traction in any 10 foot path of the route does make a difference though. A slight stumble or a more confident run will be just the nuance to make a difference as well. When it's clear the riders exploit the traits and personality of the bike adapting to it's strengths and work around the rest, you see the tire choice or even the psi they run can be "the" differential.

Maybe for some, the specs really just spark a mind set for expected results or a slight advantage like leading witness testimony or the red Mustang looks faster than a blue one.

banned
    Nov 2014
    More and more are riding rough technical trails? I've rode all over the country. Hands down trials are easier and more sanitized than in the past.
    I am coming from the XC world, and here where I live (Austria) XC is pretty much 90% of mountain biking. And it IS getting more and more technical. Also, majority of people here do NOT ride in parks, we ride in nature (Austria is nicknamed "Alpine Republic").
    Perhaps it is truly different where you live.

banned
    Nov 2014

'
    True.
    However, all other things being equal - 29" are more capable. And majority of sold bikes are still HT bikes, and for them 29" is a clear advantage.
    I must also confess - I am a bit unfairly in favour of 29". That is because I am 193cm tall (6'4''), and therefore for me 26" wheels are like clown wheels (I look a bit clownish when riding a 26"). That being said - I am soooooo happy 26" died and along came 29"!

mtbr member
    Everyone or most people appose dumbing down trails. Then ride 29ers because of the better rollover etc created by a 29" wheel. So now you are mechanically dumbing down the trail. 26ers are fun. Guys who have only ridden a 29er on a trail, please try a 26er, see how much work u put in and what you rewarded with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Through the years, I've seen a lot of those 'test' videos putting rubber to the trail. Same bike and variations on wheel size with same tire have proven many specs on paper and fractions of an inch or a few mm here or there doesn't really show up at the finish line or on the timed runs.
    The same rider trying to hold the exact same line each run and variations on the dirt or traction in any 10 foot path of the route does make a difference though. A slight stumble or a more confident run will be just the nuance to make a difference as well. When it's clear the riders exploit the traits and personality of the bike adapting to it's strengths and work around the rest, you see the tire choice or even the psi they run can be "the" differential.

Maybe for some, the specs really just spark a mind set for expected results or a slight advantage like leading witness testimony or the red Mustang looks faster than a blue one.
    Nicely stated.
    I do like my 29er a lot. I've worked to adapt to its strengths and weaknesses, and to adapt it to me. I have 6 different stems, 5 handlebars, multiple seatposts etc to allow me to fine tune my position.
    It really is a great bike, but I admit that it doesn't readily mesh with my style. I bought it because it looked the most similar to the GT.

I'm able to exploit the GTs capabilities in ways that I can't with the Trek. We have a lot of tight turns and switchbacks, and it can easily turn inside the Treks line. 100mm shorter wheelbase results in a much tighter turn radius.
    There are trail sections where you are turning every 5-10 seconds for minutes at a time.
    The GT slaughters this stuff.

I think a person used to 29ers would flail on the GT. You must ride very quiet, with small inputs, or it will dart all over.
    Whereas the (much stronger than me) 29er rider would probably employ much more body input (steering from the hips), and get into trouble.

I'm hoping I can find a 29 or maybe 27.5 that more closely mirrors the GT's handling, as it is getting pretty long in the tooth.
    I hear Ibis may have something...

Bob

banned
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
    26ers are fun. Guys who have only ridden a 29er on a trail, please try a 26er, see how much work u put in and what you rewarded with.
    Well, I'm not that young - for the good part of my life I was forced to ride 26er. They were always sketchy to me cause, like I said, I'm 193cm, so I have a high centre of gravity. Also, 26er of those days had really steep HT angle, which was even worse for a tall rider like myself. And I did not had more direct feeling of trail cause my handlebar was kinda far away from front hub axis.
    Now I say again, I am 193cm tall. That basically mean that everything (including the trail itself) is relatively smaller for me. If someone is let's say, 174cm tall, pretty much the whole universe is about 10% bigger from his or hers perspective. Hence, that person thinks that tight turn of the trail is 2.70 meters in diameter, for me it is 3.0 m.
    Also, I had more traction issues with 26er, for the same reason, me being taller and heavier. And the facts that my peak power is above 1000W and I have +85kg, and good part of that is upper body, was also problematic for 26er.
    So to conclude, if someone is let's say 174cm tall, has 70kg, and peak power 700W, it makes sense that 26er is more fun for that person. For me it is the 29er thats more fun. But I admit, that perhaps 28er would be ideal for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just came across this video on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

I think there is some truth to what they say in the video. The timing of Gravel bike emergence certainly coincides with the "sunsetting" of the 26er. And make no mistake about it - 26er was sunsetted to force people not to buy them. The first 29ers that everyone was so eager to buy did not have the modern geometry, or all the new standards that emerged to address the shortcomings of the 29er... so essentially they were buying fairly imperfect bikes just because they heard they were better.

There is certainly truth to the fact that most people don't live in Alpine Edens of Europe or Colorado, and in truth, if the 29er is so much easier to ride - then where is the challenge? I've noticed that on east coast the trend is to build new trails that are smooth and flowy, yet the main benefit of the 29er was to roll over rocks better... so why not making the trails more rocky? Where I ride the terrain is pretty technical with rock gardens (actually man made by farmers over a hundred years ago) and glacial slickrock - I love riding these on my FS 26ers.

So why sunset the 26er? Truly, I have no idea. I have a sneaking suspicion that with the 26er present, the 29er and 27.5 would not have taken off as they did. So sunsetting was done to disrupt the sport for commercial reasons. How else to explain that time, effort and money was spent on promoting gravel bikes, fat bikes etc, yet 26 was deemed unworthy? Why were so many new standards generated and then lastly what has happened to parts pricing, serviceability, and manufacturer support? I feel that the industry is now much more calculating and less passion driven - which is good for the bottom line, but I'm not sure it is great for the consumer.

What does all this have to do with 26er coming back from the ashes - well... if money motivates this industry, then that's it - if there is money in bringing back the 26ers back then they will be back.

mtbr member
    Its funny that people still think its a conspiracy.

These are luxury items that none of us in any way "need". Its pretty hard to force someones hand on completely optional purchases. Even now in 2019, I still see people trail riding on 90's bikes. The standards that people claim to be "forced" into, you can still readily buy the old stuff anywhere you look.

People just dont want to buy it. Riders overwhelmingly want the new stuff. Its always been rider driven.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am coming from the XC world, and here where I live (Austria) XC is pretty much 90% of mountain biking. And it IS getting more and more technical. Also, majority of people here do NOT ride in parks, we ride in nature (Austria is nicknamed "Alpine Republic").
    Perhaps it is truly different where you live.
    You are right, xc has become more technical than in the past. I'm referring to general trail riding and DH in USA. I live on Colorado so I'm well familiar with Alpine riding. A lot of our alpine gets dumbed down. It's only the remote, less frequently used trails that stay natural and technical. Basically anytime a trail becomes a popular MTB trail either individual riders or trail crews sanitize it to some degree. I've seen this pretty much everywhere I ride outside of my local trails too. I'm jealous of your MTB culture over there. You guys seem to value technical challenging terrain a lot more than here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post

Another thing to acknowledge is that the very forums we discuss this stuff on are industry driven. So, corporate funded, industry 'research comes up with the conclusion that the latest is better than the prior, and the retail sales keep going.

Then the products are 'tested' by forum staff, who always praise whatever it is they test. Especially if it's coming from a big corporate sponsor. The forums shill the products, and the regular joes then endlessly argue the merits of them, or just parrot the reviews or that 'research'.

The motto here used to be "swag ho!"

Of course, there's an exception to every rule. My favorite bike for the last 6 years has been a 29"er, but then again, I'm an 'old man'. I'm out of the 'loop' of bs altogether...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There's no BS about 26" being lighter. That's like saying it's BS that a 2.3 tire is lighter than a 2.5. All things equal a 26" wheelset with tires will be around .25lbs lighter. While that's not a ton it's worth more to me than .5" bigger attack angle.

mtbr member
    ^you missed the point, I never said they weren't lighter.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emax View Post
    I just came across this video on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA
    I think there is a lot of truth to that. Honestly back in the early 90's, in some of the races people showed up on cross bikes and schooled us on mountain bikes. I partly think that is one reason people started to think of 700cc wheels (29ers) for mountain biking.

Today, I see more people on gravel and cross bikes on the trails than ever. As the video says, I think it is partly because the trails are easier and on a 29er with 2.6" tires, pretty uninspiring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Its funny that people still think its a conspiracy.

These are luxury items that none of us in any way "need". Its pretty hard to force someones hand on completely optional purchases. Even now in 2019, I still see people trail riding on 90's bikes. The standards that people claim to be "forced" into, you can still readily buy the old stuff anywhere you look.

People just dont want to buy it. Riders overwhelmingly want the new stuff. Its always been rider driven.
    Believe what you want... but these days marketing is pretty advanced, and with the use o "influencers" bikers aren't forced to buy anything they are influenced to buy. Spending money makes people feel good about themselves - and the newer and more expensive thing they can buy the better they feel. People can have a tom of fun on their old 26ers, but the marketing materials switched on the 29ers right away - and that's what people wanted. Look - single speed, unsuspended bikes are still around - and that's not the latest tech - so why so much hate for the 26er? When you say that you can buy old stuff everywhere you look - that's true - but what? they can't make the new old stuff? And it's not like there is much choice in a straight 1/8 steerer 26er forks out there, or triple cranksets, and even the choices of tires are getting slim... there is only so much new old stock that's going to be out there.
    To me the clearest evidence of industry imposing its will on riders is the disc brake on road bike thing... pros resisted it, and the majority of riders didn't ask for it (after all how many folks ride road in the rain). But like I said - believe what you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emax View Post
    To me the clearest evidence of industry imposing its will on riders is the disc brake on road bike thing... pros resisted it, and the majority of riders didn't ask for it (after all how many folks ride road in the rain). But like I said - believe what you want.

I don't ride my mtb's in the rain but I still like disc brakes on them, and if you live in a mountainous area disc brakes on a road bike are a really good thing imo. With most bike models the choice is yours so the market will decide which is preferable.

I don't think there's any hate for 26'ers, I just don't think most people care much one about them one way or the other as long as there are good bikes available to ride. And there are.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    stay off the internet and go back to your radio.....this modern stuff is too new for you

mtbr member
    Basically anytime a trail becomes a popular MTB trail either individual riders or trail crews sanitize it to some degree.
    I started riding during the rise of mountain biking in the 90's stopped riding around 2k when the grown up world caught up with me. I recently started riding again when my 11 yo son picked up mountain biking. I dusted off the old 26'r and he's been riding a 26r we built up for him. People talk about how different the bikes are, to me the trails are the biggest difference between now and then. They feel like an amusement park ride with all of the pumps to jumps and big banked berms. All the trails feel like they are about carrying big speed and hitting big jumps. All the technical bits where you can't carry speed and you need balance and good bike handling to make it through without putting your foot down seem to be gone. Sanitized is a good way to word it.
    -DeoreDX

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think there is a lot of truth to that. Honestly back in the early 90's, in some of the races people showed up on cross bikes and schooled us on mountain bikes. I partly think that is one reason people started to think of 700cc wheels (29ers) for mountain biking.

Today, I see more people on gravel and cross bikes on the trails than ever. As the video says, I think it is partly because the trails are easier and on a 29er with 2.6" tires, pretty uninspiring.
    It does make sense. I just read today's PB article on the Pisgah. The guy was talking about the Black mountain trail being reworked because it was rutted and un ridable. Riders used to handle that and tougher Pisgah trails in a more raw technical condition with no suspension, rim brakes, and OTB geo. Eroded root drop offs, ruts with rocks and woods litter in the middle... That's always been its condition and we never had to walk anything even with crap bikes. I know the Pisgah, especially the northern Pisgah still has proper tech, but more and more areas that used to be known for technical terrain are being widened and smoothed out so we can go faster on our stretched limo, raked out, 29'ers. It's just a weird era we are in were bikes are better and trails are easier. If I could take a young enduro bro back in time with their modern 29'er they would probably struggle with what parts of the Pisgah used to be like, but they think today's wide bermed out trails are gnarlier because now there's a built sender that gaps 20' out but requires no more skill than the ability to hit it at speed and not freak out in the air. I like to send it as much as the next guy, but let's leave tech trails technical, and not widen and smooth out everything thinking you can bring back the challenge in the form of a built jump. Jumps can be built in Kansas, you can't build Pisgah tech.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I believe they've already made a comeback. They just call them gravel bikes now.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    stay off the trails and go back to your internet.....this mountain biking stuff is too old for you
    Fixed it for you!

banned
    Nov 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mnpikey View Post
    I believe they've already made a comeback. They just call them gravel bikes now.
    And on the roady side now they are trying to spread the story about that new (actually) forgotten „french“ road wheel standard.
    Personally I find the gravel thing to be both fascinating and dull.
    Fascinating for blurring borders between road and mtb world, and dull for bringing no truly new technology and no truly new capabilities of bikes (in terms of where and how you can ride bikes).
    And yes, 26“ old school rigid mtb is the closest thing to gravel in 2019.
    But here is one thought - that „french“ standard is damn close to 26“ mtb. Maybe we see some „quasy gravel 26“ mtb love story“ in the near future???

Maybe we see some „quasy gravel 26“ mtb love story“ in the near future???

Is this the sort of thing you mean by '„quasy gravel 26“ mtb love story“'?

https://forums.mtbr.com/gravel-bikes...e-1113641.html

The debate over whether it should be done gets pretty heated at times.

https://forums.mtbr.com/gravel-bikes...l-1022755.html

banned
    Nov 2014
    Hard to say. World market is so complex that even high paid marketing expert teams make misses (27.5 anyone?)

Hitching a ride
    Wheel size didn't matter to me but when I broke my 26" frame I tried to get a nice light one with clearance for 2.6 tires and couldn't find one. Got a 27 instead. It's basically the same.

banned
    Oct 2019

Not likely in the near future but not impossible and here are the reasons:

- Trends often come multiple times (like those air soled sneakers).
    - Technology is already there cause machines that are now being used for budget 26“ do not care if you use more quality materials for more expensive 26“.
    - Marketing teams coping with market saturation might push them again.
    - China is a huge market and they are getting richer. If they got into MTB sport, they could opt for 26“, cause people are a lot smaller there and 29“ geometry is not optimal for most.
    - Rise in more upscale bike market for kids/adolescents could spark general 26“ reemergence.

That being said, I believe 29“ are here to stay for a long time cause they do offer clear advantages. However, if 26“ were „dumb“ or „weak“ they would not last for decades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I do think 26 will come back but it will be a long while & in the meantime 26 will stay a niche size, that a lot more people than the bike co's will admit, still ride. I do know is I will never own a 29'er I can't stand them & I have tried many many of them ... & yes the latest ones. They are about as much fun as going to the dentist.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I do think 26 will come back but it will be a long while. In the meantime 26 will stay a niche size, that a lot more people than the bike co's will admit, still ride.

I do know I will never own a 29'er I can't stand them & I have tried many many of them ... & yes the latest ones. They are about as much fun as going to the dentist.

kk2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    IMO 26ers are done forever - unfortunately. That's why I got a 27.5 in a not too slack geometry. And 27.5 in a XC geometry has also disappeared. Sure 29ers are more stable and tad faster on more open terrain but, in my area there is still plenty of tight and twisty trails where small wheels outshine the large ones. That's why I have the small wheeled bikes. Depending where I ride that's the bike I take. If I was going to keep only one bike it would be 27.5. As for my 26er one thing that I would like to change in it is the taper head tube and through axle. The bike feels a bit flexy. Also due to its size it is the easiest bike to toss in the back of my station wagon when I go for longer trips or put it on the plane.
    Pivot Mach 4C
    Trek Procliber 9.9 SL
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    Santa Cruz Blur 2.0 C
    Specialized Fatboy C

DHer since 05’
    I think that 26ers are dead, and will not come back. The Mountain biking industry is shifting from maneuverability, to speed, fast. 26ers are the best for maneuvering around, and dirt jumping, while 27.5s offer a mix of speed, and maneuverability, and 29ers don’t turn, or jump as well, while still going faster. This is a rick/trade off that major bike company’s are willing to take.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_Rider_JaKoby View Post
    I think that 26ers are dead, and will not come back. The Mountain biking industry is shifting from maneuverability, to speed, fast. 26ers are the best for maneuvering around, and dirt jumping, while 27.5s offer a mix of speed, and maneuverability, and 29ers don’t turn, or jump as well, while still going faster. This is a rick/trade off that major bike company’s are willing to take.
    The industry is "shifting from maneuverability, to speed." Speed has been the focus since enduro and Strava blew up many years ago. It's hard to say what future trends hold, but we won't just keep trending exactly the same. What bikes look like when trends change is speculation, whether trends change isn't speculation, it's guaranteed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anyone need some 26er tires... :P

The whole thing is a bit of a joke in the end.

My "26x2.35" nobby nics have the same actual diametre and my "27.5x2.1" thunder burts, and also the same as my "700x33" x-one's.

Point being, theres tons of overlap, and between the super extremes of say, 26x1.5 vs 29x3, most of its in your head regarding the actual wheel diametre. The geometry of the bike is mostly what you are going to notice. 29ers are built tall and long... they dont necessarily have to be, but they usually are to accommodate the extreme end of things. If you built a 26 with the same proportions, you likely would have a hard time telling the difference.

sorry

banned
    Oct 2019
    You know that Steve Jobs famously said that he does not give to people what they want cause people do not know what they want before being told. And he therefore tells people what they want.
    I guess we should wait till key industry people tell us that speed is soopid, and we should love maneuverability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well, when you have an industry that makes a product that is basically "good enough" and lasts years and years, you need to invent reasons for everyone to throw it away and buy new bikes.

Tell everyone their wheels are wrong. That's a good one. Change the diameter by a few mm. Change the axles by a few mm. oh my god, how are you riding that obsolete POS?!

Then find that picture of john tomac in 1989 racing with drop bars... Whole new industry selling you the bike you already had before they told you it was all wrong!

I do like that things are not being driven by pro racing anymore at least. Road being the last to really snap those ties with discs being considered more important than UCI rules. In this 90's, you could buy race inspired mountain bikes, and race inspired road bikes, and very little else. Even the $99 department store bikes were "race bikes".

I also used to be able to ask for a "mountain bike wheel" and that meant something that would fit on my bike... So there is a downside. I have 4 mountain bikes and none of them can share a wheel.

26 is dead. It didn't need to die, but it did. It wont come back because there's no reason to, since there was no reason to change in the first place, other than to sell more new bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Trends come and go. 650b had its day in the sun. It never killed 26" but 29 very well could kill 650b. I'm not betting on a return of 26", but it's safe to say it's not going anywhere. I have zero confidence the industry won't pull the plug on my 650b super enduro bike sometime in the future. 26" died in the mainstream, it never went anywhere for the most skilled riding styles in the sport. It's good to see the goat of slope back in the mix this year!

https://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/feat...4655/sspomer,2

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    They seem to be doing something inteligent with 29 now. it was fading away a few years ago.

But, the trend now is that smaller sizes get 27.5, and larger ones get 29. I could imagine a point where the extra small / women's bikes get 26.

My GT is a small, with 27.5, the size up has 29.

kk2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smashysmashy View Post
    Well, when you have an industry that makes a product that is basically "good enough" and lasts years and years, you need to invent reasons for everyone to throw it away and buy new bikes.

Tell everyone their wheels are wrong. That's a good one. Change the diameter by a few mm. Change the axles by a few mm. oh my god, how are you riding that obsolete POS?!

Then find that picture of john tomac in 1989 racing with drop bars... Whole new industry selling you the bike you already had before they told you it was all wrong!

I do like that things are not being driven by pro racing anymore at least. Road being the last to really snap those ties with discs being considered more important than UCI rules. In this 90's, you could buy race inspired mountain bikes, and race inspired road bikes, and very little else. Even the $99 department store bikes were "race bikes".

I also used to be able to ask for a "mountain bike wheel" and that meant something that would fit on my bike... So there is a downside. I have 4 mountain bikes and none of them can share a wheel.

26 is dead. It didn't need to die, but it did. It wont come back because there's no reason to, since there was no reason to change in the first place, other than to sell more new bikes.
    Excellent Point. The same now applies to geometry of XC bikes. I hear "As the XC trails evolve and become more technical the racers need more stable bikes with more suspension". Sounds more like the industry is pushing for more technical trails so that they can sell new models of XC bikes. Today XC bike is more like yesterday trail bike.
    Pivot Mach 4C
    Trek Procliber 9.9 SL
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    Santa Cruz Blur 2.0 C
    Specialized Fatboy C

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I’m eagerly looking forward to the return to popularity of the 12er bikes. Smaller the wheel size, the greater the rider skill involved.

I deem the subject matter involved in this thread to be a waste of anyone’s time posting; go out and RIDE your 12er.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

banned
    Oct 2019

Quote Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
    Excellent Point. The same now applies to geometry of XC bikes. I hear "As the XC trails evolve and become more technical the racers need more stable bikes with more suspension". Sounds more like the industry is pushing for more technical trails so that they can sell new models of XC bikes. Today XC bike is more like yesterday trail bike.
    I still think most of the MTBs of today are overengineered and more capable that the trails really need. But hey I‘m just a guy who rides only HT bikes, and do not salivate when watching those red-bull rampage videos or whatever. And the main reason I ride 29“ is because I‘m very tall and I ride XC. Otherwise, I would ride 650B for XC, and 26“ for FS technical.

To conclude, even though 29“ and FS are more capable, 26“ and HT are capable enough for the most of the trails most of the guys ride.

mtbr member

Very well said.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Actually bikes are being driving more by pro racing than ever before. Long, low and slack all came from eduro racing. The whole "down country" thing stems from XC race tracks being more technical than in the past. 29'er DH bikes are all from racing. If you like bikes that aren't influenced so much by racing that era has passed. AM and FR bikes were developed for trail riding and jibbing, not racing. Enduro replaced both those markets with race bread bikes that are highly biased towards stability at speed. My guess is before long we will see trends swing away from race bread bikes to something akin to AM of the past. Meaning trail bikes meant to be capable of whatever the rider wants while not being focused on anything in particular. My guess is such a bike will be steeper in the HA say no slacker than 66, reach will be shorter but not old school compact. I say this because I don't see today's stretched limo, raked out, speed machines trending for too much longer. Most don't have access to enough gravity to make use of such bikes. As far as being able to go into a shop knowing they have what you need? We'll never see that again. It was nice while it lasted wasn't it! Tires, rims, axle standards, BB's, chain rings.... Never did we wonder if any given shop had what we needed. Shops blame online shopping for their struggles. It's like the industry wasn't to make life as tough as possible for shops which in turn makes our lives more difficult too. No matter, the money is flowing like never before so there is no problem from their standpoint.

mtbr member
    As far as being able to go into a shop knowing they have what you need? We'll never see that again. It was nice while it lasted wasn't it!

Well stocked shops still exist.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It's not about well stocked. its about being all different. if I taco the rear wheel on my GT pantera, I cant take the wheel from my giant, or my other gt, or my cannondale. 3 spare high end wheels, all useless for each other.

Now, im the dumbass that bought them, soo.... :P

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Actually bikes are being driving more by pro racing than ever before. Long, low and slack all came from eduro racing. The whole "down country" thing stems from XC race tracks being more technical than in the past. 29'er DH bikes are all from racing. If you like bikes that aren't influenced so much by racing that era has passed. AM and FR bikes were developed for trail riding and jibbing, not racing. Enduro replaced both those markets with race bread bikes that are highly biased towards stability at speed. My guess is before long we will see trends swing away from race bread bikes to something akin to AM of the past. Meaning trail bikes meant to be capable of whatever the rider wants while not being focused on anything in particular. My guess is such a bike will be steeper in the HA say no slacker than 66, reach will be shorter but not old school compact. I say this because I don't see today's stretched limo, raked out, speed machines trending for too much longer. Most don't have access to enough gravity to make use of such bikes. As far as being able to go into a shop knowing they have what you need? We'll never see that again. It was nice while it lasted wasn't it! Tires, rims, axle standards, BB's, chain rings.... Never did we wonder if any given shop had what we needed. Shops blame online shopping for their struggles. It's like the industry wasn't to make life as tough as possible for shops which in turn makes our lives more difficult too. No matter, the money is flowing like never before so there is no problem from their standpoint.
    I've largely ignored enduro. I think all my "newer" bikes (2015, 2018, 2019 models) would be classed as trail riding hardtails. Not XC (well maybe someone would call a cannondale trail sl1 xc), not enduro for sure. The base bikes are not "high end" though. they run in the 1-2k range as sold in the store. (i've made them all more fancy of course)

The market differs in different countries as well I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I deem the subject matter involved in this thread to be a waste of anyone’s time posting; go out and RIDE your 12er.
    Translation: "I have time to waste, and advice that's good for others doesn't apply to me"

CS2
    mtbr member
    Translation: "I have time to waste, and advice that's good for others doesn't apply to me"
    Agreed 100%. It's starting to get cold so we all need to put our 2 cents in.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've largely ignored enduro. I think all my "newer" bikes (2015, 2018, 2019 models) would be classed as trail riding hardtails. Not XC (well maybe someone would call a cannondale trail sl1 xc), not enduro for sure. The base bikes are not "high end" though. they run in the 1-2k range as sold in the store. (i've made them all more fancy of course)

The market differs in different countries as well I think.
    Regardless of whether you care about the enduro trend, or even actively try to avoid it, it likely influenced the HT's you ride. If your HT's are longer, lower, or slacker than their predecessors, they were influenced by enduro racing. It's hard to find anything from 2015 and up that didn't grow in reach, slacken to some degree, and lower a bit. All that came from enduro racing. I guess you could say DH was doing it first, but enduro brought it to every market even XC hardtails. Now we call xc bikes with enduro influenced geo "down country."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That's a good one. Made me laugh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Enduro sucks.

:P

Those are fair points.

Now excuse me while i take my new 12 speed SLX hub to the lathe so it can fit a QR frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's a good one. Made me laugh.
    i had to go to 6 shops today to find someone that sold.. SPOKES!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Enduro sucks.

:P

Those are fair points.

Now excuse me while i take my new 12 speed SLX hub to the lathe so it can fit a QR frame.
    Haha. The things we do for compatibility. I'm sticking with sram because I have three xd drivers. If Shimano would have used that standard I would go shimano. No matter, every shop always has sram or shimano 11 and 12 speed standards, as well as everything I need for my 26'er. It's not like adding another spline standard makes anything more difficult for riders or shops. It's just a matter of being well stocked.

mtbr member
    i had to go to 6 shops today to find someone that sold.. SPOKES!

Spokes are about the hardest thing for shops to stock, you can have $10,000 tied up in spokes and still not have the ones a customer comes in for.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    What is this, 1902? Order your spokes online like a civilized human, you savages!

Things change. Even the well stocked bike shop is on its way out. It's just plain not necessary. I can have anything I need in any standard or size, usually by tomorrow morning. Sometimes same day. It's seriously faster to sit home and order than wait until I can swing by the bike shop on a Saturday.

But that has nothing to do with bikes. Entire malls are closing down, people just dont shop like that anymore.

We get a new iPhone every year that sells out before it's even released. People buy a weird amount of "upgrade" TV's all the time. For some reason people still believe it's a conspiracy when bikes make a small change every so often.

mtbr member
    Things change. Even the well stocked bike shop is on its way out. It's just plain not necessary.

You and many others on this forum are you the minority. There are people who have no idea how to even inflate a tire, much less install one. Lots of people don't have the tools or knowledge to do basic repairs like installing a cassette or a chain and have no desire to buy the tools and learn how to use them.

Good shops are still busy and I'm guessing they'll be around for awhile.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    In fairness, if you're looking for spokes, you are probably doing your own work

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You and many others on this forum are you the minority. There are people who have no idea how to even inflate a tire, much less install one. Lots of people don't have the tools or knowledge to do basic repairs like installing a cassette or a chain and have no desire to buy the tools and learn how to use them.

Good shops are still busy and I'm guessing they'll be around for awhile.
    You're talking about service. All the comments have been about parts in stock. You even said "well stocked shops still exist." Even when I worked at a shop in 08 before standards went off the rails, and 90% of riders were on 26, I can't tell you how many times I said "we can order it for you." The shop I worked at was a big one in Denver that had three locations to move parts around and still, "we can order it for you."

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    "You cant sell what you don't have...."

It only takes a few days to a week to order stuff in these days, but, it also takes me a few days to get it from an online seller in a different country - where its almost always cheaper.

Local shops are all but entirely out of the mid to higher end parts game - regardless of how shimano and sram try to manipulate cross border sales.

But spokes!? :P

mtbr member
    You're talking about service. All the comments have been about parts in stock. You even said "well stocked shops still exist."

Well stocked shops do exist, depending on what your definition of"well stocked" is. Any good service shop needs to have a healthy parts & components inventory.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well stocked shops do exist, depending on what your definition of"well stocked" is. Any good service shop needs to have a healthy parts & components inventory.
    You're delusional if you think times haven't changed. I don't believe any of your LBS's have all the bases covered for any rider that walks in with whatever bike. Those days are gone, and you are living in lala land.

mtbr member
    Yes, all of our shops have every base covered for any rider on any bike. Pretty sure that's what I said.

Times have changed?
    I brake for stinkbugs

Yes, all of our shops have every base covered for any rider on any bike.
    A good selection of 26er rims with QR hubs? That's awesome! Exactly what this thread is all about! Care to share the name? The best way to keep it going is to support the shops and manufacturers that cater to this market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Our local shop has a sign that reads" if its in stock, we have it"

Music & Bikes

Times have changed?
    Yep

Let's just talk rear axle standard , a guy with a 170mm QR 36 spokes hub fat bike enters the shop and a guy with a 150mm TA 32 spokes enters , the chances that the shop has both standard in stock are very slim me thinks. And that's very sad.
    With the multiplication of different standards , shops simply can't keep up with all this gear for the "who knows , someone might need this someday"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    In fairness, if you're looking for spokes, you are probably doing your own work
    Yes, or you broke a spoke, and need a shop to fix it for you. Any good shop needs to be a reliable service center for those that don't know how to replace a spoke. It's sad, but we can't even count on shops to stock 26" j bends anymore. Times have changed.

mtbr member
    A good selection of 26er rims with QR hubs? That's awesome!

I didn't say that shops carried antique stuff, most don't stock 52" solid rubber tires for those old high wheel bikes either.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast