Where to get replacement handlebars?- Mtbr.com
    3 on the tree

Where to get replacement handlebars?

I'm posting this here because I assume most 26ers are still running a 25.4mm stem clamp. I went for a ride on dirt for the first time in over a decade, and steering felt super twitchy. I'm assuming a wider bar (mine is 610mm) would help.

It doesn't seem that there are many 25.4mm compatible bars for sale anymore. It seems wasteful to mothball a nice Thomson stem, so I'd rather not switch to 31mm.

Any suggestions on where to find a wider 25.4mm handlebar?
    Smog builds character.

mtbr member
    Looks like nashbar has some to choose from...

https://www.nashbar.com/mountain-han...tPrice&lg=fk16
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member

3 on the tree
    Didn't know nashbar was still in business, thanks!
    Smog builds character.

3 on the tree
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I found those through internet searches already, I just figured people here would know of other, maybe local lbs, sources. Thanks for your sarcastic input.
    Smog builds character.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamthief View Post
    I found those through internet searches already, I just figured people here would know of other, maybe local lbs, sources. Thanks for your sarcastic input.
    "Any suggestions on where to find a wider 25.4mm handlebar?"

They're 25.4mm and wider than your current bars. They're exactly what you want. Jenson has them, Modern Bike has them, Amazon, eBay..... Do you want us to buy them for you too?

Maybe your local LBS has them too, but how would we know where you live?

3 on the tree
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    "Any suggestions on where to find a wider 25.4mm handlebar?"

They're 25.4mm and wider than your current bars. They're exactly what you want. Jenson has them, Modern Bike has them, Amazon, eBay..... Do you want us to buy them for you too?

Maybe your local LBS has them too, but how would we know where you live?
    How would you know what exactly I want? I'm looking for the maximum amount of options. I bet you're the life of any party you go to.
    Smog builds character.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would suggest the internet, your LBS, or the back right corner of my garage.

I'm actually pretty fun at parties too!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Those thompson stems weren't as great as thompson made them out to be. Id get a new stem and bars, your options WAY open up, and stems are dirt, dirt cheap these days.

Wider bars without changing the stem will mess up the way the bike fits. As you go wider on the bars, you need to go shorter on stem or your bike will "grow" and feel larger, but even worse, all that weight is going forward.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamthief View Post
    Didn't know nashbar was still in business, thanks!
    They actually aren't. Performance/Nashbar went out of business and sold the rights to the names/logos to a 3 store California chain.

I can be pretty fun at parties as well.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ebay and pinkbike. The used market is the best place for unsuported standards.

It's kind of funny you think most 26'ers are running 25.4. The indusry switched to 31.8 around 04. You really have been out of the game a long time. Welcome back! Open your wallet, bend over, you'll fit in just fine!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Those thompson stems weren't as great as thompson made them out to be. Id get a new stem and bars, your options WAY open up, and stems are dirt, dirt cheap these days.

Wider bars without changing the stem will mess up the way the bike fits. As you go wider on the bars, you need to go shorter on stem or your bike will "grow" and feel larger, but even worse, all that weight is going forward.
    I've seen more than one cracked face plate on those old thompsons. People loved them back in the day, but yeah, nothing special. Just a CNC'd block of aluminum with a pretty ano finish. They do have a nice finish I'll give them that.

OP, 31.8 stems 60mm or longer are selling for pennies. 31.8 bars narrower than 740mm, pennies. The Used market is great these days, just not as a seller lol.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Hey OP, don't forget to get a gallon of this whenever you pick up your new handlebars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I would not limit myself to 25.4 just to keep a Thomson stem. Sure, in 1999 they were the bees knees and stiffer than a lot of what was out there, but nowadays there are a ton of good 4-bolt face-plate stems that are just as good for a lot less (just not as pretty).

If you are just trying to save money, and find an inexpensive bar you like in 25.4, then great, go for.

I decided a while ago to just make the switch to 31.8. At some point I realized that the longer I kept buying 25.4, the more incompatible stems and bars I was going to end up with once I went 31.8.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.