mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Wheel upgrade from quick release to thru axle.

I have a quick release alloy wheel I am trying to change it to a 15mm or 20mm thru-axle. The bearings in it right now or 30mm outside diameter 10 mm inside diameter and 9 mm deep how do I change this to a thru axle that is 15mm. I do not have any press on incaps like you see your most through axles. The incaps that I do have screw onto the 10mm rod to the 9mm quick-release skewer. I want to do this so that I can upgrade my forks. All the forks for my specific needs are 15mm or 20mm thru-axle. Oh I also forgot to mention that the bearings in there are cartridge bearings.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Can you post a picture of the hub or the model? In short, you either have a convertible hub where you buy replacement end caps, or you need to buy a new one and rebuild the wheel.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I can't take a picture right now but this link is similar to what I have. https://www.amazon.com/magnesium-whe.../dp/B01KI2EROE

They are magnesium alloy wheels that came on my e-bike. I don't particularly like them but the motor is in the rear and it looks just like the front and if I change the front it will look really weird. All that was inside the hub of these magnesium wheels was two pressed in cartridge bearings and the hollow tube for the skewer.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no.

Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Yup, sorry to say you'd need to remachine the hub, make you're own axles and mod your rear dropouts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    What I was thinking of something like this. Change out the bearings for these.

https://www.123bearing.com/bearing-6...BoCGEkQAvD_BwE

And then to put a corresponding sleeve for the fork with something like this.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...xoCze8QAvD_BwE

The way I figured it the bearings will take the load the sleeve to keep the tire positioned in the middle. These are just examples that I was thinking about to get to work. The only thing I can't find is the outside diameter of the sleeves if they are 17 mm or 16 that have to be more than 15 because the inside diameter is 15.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Save your time and effort and get a new wheel. There are plenty of inexpensive options. The amazon link was a 26" - is that what size you need?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yeah it's a 26"

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Just as an example, here's a 15mm (non-boost) 26" wheel for $100 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EASTON-EA70...X/232636385625

A brand new fork will almost always come with the "sleeve" (aka thru axle) so no need to buy one separately.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragonf View Post
    The way I figured it the bearings will take the load the sleeve to keep the tire positioned in the middle. These are just examples that I was thinking about to get to work. The only thing I can't find is the outside diameter of the sleeves if they are 17 mm or 16 that have to be more than 15 because the inside diameter is 15.
    No offense, but if this is indicative of how you think working on bikes normally happens, you might want to take a pass on it.

If you're really into machining or fab or such, and just didn't mention how good you are at making amazing stuff from nothing, please go ahead and disregard this post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Indeed..
    You better can buy a new set of wheels