V-Brake Questions from a Total N00b- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

V-Brake Questions from a Total N00b

I recently purchased a 1989 Miyata SportRunner. It's my first MTB in a long while. I am looking to get rid of the orginal canti's that came with it. I purchased some 95mm Tektro 930AL V-Brakes. I thought I had done my checks about this purchase beforehand, but apparently I missed something. The wheels are 26". I am curious, am I gonna run into problems with this length of v-brake and should get some 107mm instead, or will it be alright? Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Standard v-brakes will work but you'll need new brake levers, v-brakes have a different pull ratio than canti's.
    I brake for stinkbugs

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by portagekix View Post
    I recently purchased a 1989 Miyata SportRunner. It's my first MTB in a long while. I am looking to get rid of the orginal canti's that came with it. I purchased some 95mm Tektro 930AL V-Brakes. I thought I had done my checks about this purchase beforehand, but apparently I missed something. The wheels are 26". I am curious, am I gonna run into problems with this length of v-brake and should get some 107mm instead, or will it be alright? Thanks for your help!
    These are halfway between a mini-v one would use on a Cyclocross bike and standard V one would use on a mountain bike. Potentially they may work with your current brake levers but will be limited in tire size that you can use. If you upgrade to the longer arms you will be able to use any mountain bike tires size but as JB Weld noted they will not work with cantilever brake levers, which pull too little cable. You will need to upgrade to a v-brake specific lever. The shorter arms pull less cable to hit the rim so might work with your levers, guess it just depends on whether you plan of hitting dirt or just pavement and dirt paths, and what tire you want to use to do so.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons