upgrade question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

upgrade question

I have a 2000 Rocky Mountain Element, i built up the frame in 2005 with XT and Raceface. Bike currently has XT hollow tech 2 3 ring cranks.. Middle chain ring is 32 teeth. ( i never shift out of middle chain ring) Rear cog is a shimano HG-CS-M770 (9 speed 11-32). Im running V brakes also but frame is disk compatible (don't laugh) this was my spare bike back then.. I want to buy disk ready tubeless 26' wheel set . and convert to 1X drivetrain. I will need shifters also because mine are XT integrated. Can this be done if I buy a new 1x drivetrain say a sram GX? Any other suggestions? Thanks...

mtbr member
    I did something similar with my Raliegh M80 - I ended up using a SRAM NX drivetrain, got a takeoff set from a person on classifieds, yet they are available new. The NX rear casette is compatible with your current wheelset. GX will require an upgrade to an XD driver hub. But if you need a new wheelset for 6-bolt brakes, those are also very affordable compared to 29er counterparts. Try these guys https://www.coloradocyclist.com/26-i...bike-wheelsets Avid Speed Dial 7 brake levers are inexpensive and high quality. The best mechanical disc set on the market is TRP Spykes https://trpcycling.com/product/spyke/

My take-off setup was only a 30t boost- I had to buy a 36t non-boost chainring in order to get my set-up tuned in for my use. Do the math GX vs NX, figure out what works best for you. Hope that helps. Good Luck for the build! ~Patrick
    I race XC with a 2005 Raleigh M80. Yes, I really do.