Tyres for 26" Giant NRS3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Tyres for 26" Giant NRS3

Hi everyone!

I need some help. I've got a 18yr old Giant NRS3 mountain bike which I'm about to start using again off and on road and need new tyres. I've googled stuff but being out of the game for a long time, I need some help/clarification on getting new tyres for it.

Currently, it has Mavic X139 rims, with one Hutchinson Python tyre (which I believe is tubeless though I stand to be corrected if wrong) and one Continental Vapor tyre. I want new tyres because they've been flat for years.

Questions:
    1. The rims state 1.5" to 2.1" but most tyres seem to be 2.25" and above. Can I fit tyres on that are 2.25" - 2.35" etc? Or is that a no?

2. Will all tubeless tyres fit onto these rims? I've read about different standards by varying manufacturers?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Miggyboys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tyres for 26" Giant NRS3-rims-landscape.jpg  

Last edited by miggyboys; 05-10-2020 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    559x17 so you're ideally limited to 2.0" (at 3:1 width) you could push it to 3.5:1 59mm 2.32" but its pushing it. 2.25 would work fine is the tire does not rub on the frame.

Tubeless needs tubeless rims (UST) Tubeless Ready, or Tubeless

Get a new tire and new tubes.
    Chain Reaction Cycle (Ireland) will ship quick to UK I assume with the way you spell Tyre.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The NRS 3 is a giant, not a trek...

Max tire width in the rear on that bike is 2.25, so that will dictate your tire choice, regardless of rim.

Those rims wont be safe with tubeless. the NRS 1 came with mavic x3.01 ust rims and Hutchinson UST tubeless tires. If you want tubeless, you need new rims/wheels, but you still will be limited to 2.25 tires.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi matt4x4

Thanks for the reply and info, yes I'm in Leeds, England. Glad to hear 2.25" should still work...!

Regards

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi smashysmashy

Many thanks for the correction, you're right, it's a Giant, not Trek. I've updated the thread.

So 2.25" is the limit and I need clincher tyres. I appreciate your help.

Regards

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any tire will work on the rims, you just cant run them as tubeless because they don't have a proper bead seat. So just pick any tire you like up to 2.25 and use a tube.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I understand. Great, thanks for the info, I know what to do now!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I cant remember the tracking info from Chain Reaction Cycle, I think packages enters England through Liverpool very quickly, within a day easy. But who knows now, with the china virus.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks pal. To be fair, there are a lot of cycling shops and cycling ecommerce firms in the UK now. The UK has gone cycling crazy in the last 20 years and each year that passes, there are more people getting into it. The money people are now spending on upgrades, parts etc has gone through the roof. Mountain biking is massive and most North American bikes / products are available here, next day delivery.

Wiggle, Tredz, Evans and Halfords are the big four online retailers and there are tons of independent stores in each town and city. Have a look, you might see a lot of European products that you perhaps don't see in North America.

In Leeds, Yorkshire where I am, there's beautiful countryside outside of the main cities. A Tour de France stage was held here in 2014 and it really put cycling on the map. The number of people that turned up to the hill climb was nuts:

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/featured/news/2014/07/how-tour-de-france-image-was-made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfakXv6_Bt0&t=19s