suspension forks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

suspension forks

I have old 26 titanium frame bike (KGB cycles, sorry I did not name this brand).I know very little about bike geometry, not sure if it was built for suspension fork.Currently Bike has 80mm Exotic rigid fork.I was thinking of installing suspension fork of the same vintage 90's and that's where I need your help. What brand should I consider if buying used? Are parts still available for those forks? I don't want to rise front end of the bike like a chopper, just to get a bit of a relief from arthritis in my wrists.
    I'm a lifelong roadie with thousands of miles ridden yearly here in So. California but don't know much about MTB. Can you school me on different types of forks,brands etc. Also with my current 80 mm fork raising front any more would definitely affect handling.I think I saw older forks with 65 travel? (does 80mm fork collapse to say 70mm?)
    I posted a pic of my bike in bike pictures thread and looks like one member was a bit offended by its name (KGB) As a survivor of of communist regime I can assure you nothing is more satisfying than thrashing this bike on every ride.
    cheers

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by SP-rocket View Post
    I have old 26 titanium frame bike (KGB cycles, sorry I did not name this brand).I know very little about bike geometry, not sure if it was built for suspension fork.Currently Bike has 80mm Exotic rigid fork.I was thinking of installing suspension fork of the same vintage 90's and that's where I need your help. What brand should I consider if buying used? Are parts still available for those forks? I don't want to rise front end of the bike like a chopper, just to get a bit of a relief from arthritis in my wrists.
    I'm a lifelong roadie with thousands of miles ridden yearly here in So. California but don't know much about MTB. Can you school me on different types of forks,brands etc. Also with my current 80 mm fork raising front any more would definitely affect handling.I think I saw older forks with 65 travel? (does 80mm fork collapse to say 70mm?)
    I posted a pic of my bike in bike pictures thread and looks like one member was a bit offended by its name (KGB) As a survivor of of communist regime I can assure you nothing is more satisfying than thrashing this bike on every ride.
    cheers
    I have found that a low A-C suspension fork from the late 90's / early 2000's work well for this application, and don't negatively affect handling for these older bikes. I am currently parting out my 26" titanium framed bike and have a very nice, recently serviced Fox F100X fork that I will be listing for sale (along with everything else) Send me a message if you are interested in it.

suspension forks-img_3559.jpg
    suspension forks-img_3556.jpg
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    First figure out if it has a normal 1 1/8in headset or if it has a 1in.

After that, I'd be looking for an older Marz, RS, or Fox 63 - 80mm fork from the mid to late 90's unless you can figure out if it took a larger fork. I briefly searched but couldn't find much in the terms of geometry or specs on this, I'm guessing it was designed for a 63mm fork. But, first figure out what the headtube size is, if you're dealing with 1in, you're virtually in unobtainium territory unless you want to spend a bunch on something.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Guys, appreciate your reply to my question.Looks like (dont ask me how) I created another thread on the same subject "suspension fork for vintage bikes" and that's where I got many helpful replies.Based on all the information I decided, at the advice of one of the members to purchase rebuilt Mazocchi fork from https://www.mtbforksbymark.com/
    Like I mentioned before there is very little information on those bikes except they were built in Russia (same as early Colnagos) and painted locally.Geometry is a mystery except what can be easily verified with measuring tape.Were those frames suspension compensated I can only assume.Currently I have Exotic Alu. fork I believe for 80 mm comp. frame.Rides ok but feels like 65 would be better.Definitely my Vintage 90s Kona Explosif was way better with longer top tube and steeper head tube angle. (apologies for maybe mixing some terms, but this old timer rodie just revisited his youth, majority of riding was on road bikes)
    Thank you for your fork offer, if I saw your post earlier I definitely would be interested.Thank you guys again and sorry for not responding earlier.
    cheers

seat is lower now, different pedals, stem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

monster member
    Yes, an 80mm fork would be more like 70mm or maybe you could set it up for 60-65mm for level riding if you wanted. But I was just looking at some forks on ebay, and there seemed to be a couple of ~63mm forks available.

That said, I have an old, circa '88 Cannondale frame that was not meant for any front suspension, and I have an 80mm Manitou Magnum R on it and like it. I think it sags about 1.5" on level riding under my 195 lbs / 205 lbs with Camelback.

But, I'd never ride mtb with the bars that much lower than the saddle, personally, so my tastes might be different than yours.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    But Iím 5 minutes on this forum. Iíve been reading for at least two hours now. https://british-grand-prix.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Wheelspeed, picture was taken just after bike was assembled.Seat is much lower now, new titanium American Classic seatpost, stem and pedals.Next week I should have rebuilt Marzocchi xfly fork.At the advise of this forum I contacted Mark at mtbforksbymark.com After fork is installed I will post a pic. Thank you for your response.
    cheers