Stem for older mtb?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    135

    Stem for older mtb?

    What kinda stem can I use for mtb from 2000? I guess the new ones won't fit right? I would like to get shorter stem for my bike. And different angle. I feel like it's to far for my taste. Thanks.

    It's 2000 Specialized StumpJumper FSR XC

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,561
    The key thing is to measure the clamp diameters of your bars. They're likely 25.4mm (most modern bars are 31.8mm). Then just buy a threadless 1-1/8" stem with the appropriate clamp, and the length and rise you want.

    This site is great for seeing what different stems do to your rise and reach:

    Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,048
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    The key thing is to measure the clamp diameters of your bars. They're likely 25.4mm (most modern bars are 31.8mm). Then just buy a threadless 1-1/8" stem with the appropriate clamp, and the length and rise you want.

    This site is great for seeing what different stems do to your rise and reach:

    Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net
    What seat_boy said!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    135
    Thank you guys. I am so glad I joined this forum!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    The key thing is to measure the clamp diameters of your bars. They're likely 25.4mm (most modern bars are 31.8mm). Then just buy a threadless 1-1/8" stem with the appropriate clamp, and the length and rise you want.

    This site is great for seeing what different stems do to your rise and reach:

    Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net
    So in theory I can buy 31.8 bar with 1-1/8" stem which has appropriate clamp right?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,561
    If you buy a new 31.8mm bar, and a new 31.8mm stem, then yes, they'll work fine together.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    If you buy a new 31.8mm bar, and a new 31.8mm stem, then yes, they'll work fine together.
    I was planning to buy new bar so you guys helped me a lot. I would probably lose some money while experimenting.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    135
    Still stem related. What are those 3 things under the stem? Can I lower the position of stem if I remove one, two or even 3?Stem for older mtb?-wp_20190526_002.jpg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    233
    Those are headset spacers and yes, when you remove and replace your stem you can install them above or below the stem to adjust bar height.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    Those are headset spacers and yes, when you remove and replace your stem you can install them above or below the stem to adjust bar height.
    So maximum number of headset spacers is related to the tube from forks am I right? Does anybody cut the top of forks so they don't need spacers on top of the bar? Just wondering...

  11. #11
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,159
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCookie View Post
    So maximum number of headset spacers is related to the tube from forks am I right? Does anybody cut the top of forks so they don't need spacers on top of the bar? Just wondering...
    I personally cant stand spacers on top of the stem. Find your optimum stem height, figure out how much needs to be trimmed including an eighth for the stem cap, then screw the stem cap bolt into the star fangled nut inside the steerer tube and drive it down some, then carefully trim the tube down. There is a specific too to use as a guide. I use a pipe cutter then dress the cut with a file. You can also use a hose clamp as a guide. Remember, once you hack, you can't go back.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I personally cant stand spacers on top of the stem. Find your optimum stem height, figure out how much needs to be trimmed including an eighth for the stem cap, then screw the stem cap bolt into the star fangled nut inside the steerer tube and drive it down some, then carefully trim the tube down. There is a specific too to use as a guide. I use a pipe cutter then dress the cut with a file. You can also use a hose clamp as a guide. Remember, once you hack, you can't go back.
    I was thinking the same. I don't wanna have some big *I'll censored that* on top of my tube.

    I was checking a little stems so this one should work right? It's just an example:
    Stem for older mtb?-bontrager-rhythm-pro-stem-ev164455-8500-1.jpg

    But this one which is made for downhill looks kinda different. This one wouldn't work right?
    Stem for older mtb?-prsss0239.jpg

  13. #13
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,159
    The bottom stem is a direct mount for dual crown down hill forks. The stem up top is what you want. Find your length and rise and you're good to go.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The bottom stem is a direct mount for dual crown down hill forks. The stem up top is what you want. Find your length and rise and you're good to go.
    I am already checking if I can get something nice. That link from seat boy will help bunch.
    No guessing game, you can decide easier with it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2015, 08:13 PM
  2. 80mm Stem, 100mm Stem, or no Stem
    By TeamVolvo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2014, 06:46 PM
  3. Older guy looking for Older bike parts for a 3x8 drivetrain.
    By Steel-is-real in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-17-2012, 07:34 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 12:35 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Members who have read this thread: 43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.