So, when do we roll this forum in to vintage/retro/classic?- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: At what point is 26er and vintage synonymous?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • 26 for life and get off my lawn!

24 41.38%
  • screw you scottzg, 26'ers could be modern if they were supported by manufacturers! it's a conspiracy!!!1!1

20 34.48%
  • 2014- when major manufacturers stopped producing them

5 8.62%
  • 2016- when you couldn't choose 26" tires at your LBS

8 13.79%
  • 2001- when a couple 29er hybid bikes were introduced to an apathetic public

4 6.90%
  • I went from road bike -> 29er. 26 was a temporary setback like 650b+

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mbtr member

So, when do we roll this forum in to vintage/retro/classic?

Personally, i hope we never do. MTBR's glorious excess of forums is the reason i keep coming back to ignore most of them.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sneaker man
    You can't the vrc forum cuts off at 1997, if you bung anything newer than that, it won't go well...

need to have an Almost but not quite vintage/retro/classic forum and a Newish but not modern vintage/retro/classic forum.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hopefully never. Kids and short adults need a frame size between 24" and 650B. That's too big a gap.

EAT MORE GRIME
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    It's absurd to allow a market-driven forum site to continue to pretend it's independent of industry control.
    If we, the alleged individuals who "drive" this site, wand a separate 26-er form, then, by god, let it continue.

We are not ALL corporate fan-boiz.

What's a 26er?
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Up In Smoke
    Any steel curly bar bike=retro/vintage/classic
    26er=end of an era performance wise

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I guess you don't follow slope style, 4x, rampage, or pumptrack. When 26" is no longer used for those forms of competition you'll have an argument to make.

Until then it's ignorant to say 26" is vintage. Maybe rephrase and say vintage for racing? Actually that doesn't work because 4x is racing, so is pumptrack for that matter. How about vintage at your LBS?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    What's a 26er?
    650b minus 25mm

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Funny I was checking pinkbike and just noticed an article about a 26'er today. The facts are in 2019 we still see top pros opting for 26" wheels. They often have to modify just to get that 1" smaller wheel they want. Either that or Giant is making custom 26'ers for their pros like some other companies have been doing.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/must-w...ight-path.html

mtbr member
    26er is modern to me. Always will be.

Moderator Moderator
    Not sure why we would even think about rolling this forum in to vintage/retro/classic. We are starting to see mfg's come out with new 26" models for shorter riders in the 5' and under range.

Rock Shox even introduced a new REBA 26" that is even valved for lighter weight riders.

What was old is new again.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Never will, now millennial bikes.... 5 years or so should do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Things always come around 29 and 27.5 aren't new. I feel like 27.5 seems to be in as much danger if not more, it seems everyone in racing is using 29. 26 is staying in the world of freestyle, dj/street, slope-style, and so on. So where does that leave 27.5? gravel bikes and a plus option most people don't use. Maybe I'm wrong though. My personal hope is that at some point it wont matter and adjustable geometry will give the consumer more choice. Personally I don't mind the vintage label, I'm probably gonna be on my 26er for the next 8 years and after that Ill swap the parts to a custom frame with adjustable geo and never care about standards again. No fussing with 5k enduro bikes made in china, not my riding style anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Amen to that Radium

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    It's absurd to allow a market-driven forum site to continue to pretend it's independent of industry control.

We are not ALL corporate fan-boiz.
    Quote Originally Posted by CromolyCowboy View Post
    Things always come around 29 and 27.5 aren't new. I feel like 27.5 seems to be in as much danger if not more, it seems everyone in racing is using 29. 26 is staying in the world of freestyle, dj/street, slope-style, and so on. So where does that leave 27.5? gravel bikes and a plus option most people don't use. Maybe I'm wrong though. My personal hope is that at some point it wont matter and adjustable geometry will give the consumer more choice. Personally I don't mind the vintage label, I'm probably gonna be on my 26er for the next 8 years and after that Ill swap the parts to a custom frame with adjustable geo and never care about standards again. No fussing with 5k enduro bikes made in china, not my riding style anyway.
    26 is just fine, leave it where it is. People want cheap standarized bicycles and not a new "technology" every cpl yrs. I want to be able to use my 1-1/4" fork on whatever bicycle I buy new, or used and not have to wonder is that a 1.5" or wonder what bb it is, or whatever other garbage bike corps are pushing.

This place needs an enema
    Don't do that to the VRC crowd! They *happily* acknowledge that they're riding relics. Dumping a buncha 26-ain't-dead sycophants into their laps is like sticking a trailer park into an upscale retirement community -- little good will come of it.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Don't do that to the VRC crowd! They *happily* acknowledge that they're riding relics. Dumping a buncha 26-ain't-dead sycophants into their laps is like sticking a trailer park into an upscale retirement community -- little good will come of it.
    Kinda tacky to hop in some else's forum just to shit-talk them, isn't it?

Mikhail Kalashnikov

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Kinda tacky to hop in some else's forum just to shit-talk them, isn't it?

I have both a 26" bike and a vintage bike in my tiny fleet, so I consider this "my" forum as much as anyone else's.

But tacky? If you mean the way I dress, then sure...

Ride what you like!
    Jamis Dragonslayer. Jamis Komodo\Eden. Surly Lowside.
    New bikes available in 26, nothing vintage or retro about them.
    I guess wheelsize doesn't determine the age of a bike. Maybe we should use the age of the bike to determine the age?
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Every one of those are 26+. Not 26.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    ^ And they're all crusty old vintage bikes.

Meatbomb
    29er is just a fad...

Ride what you like!
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Every one of those are 26+. Not 26.
    Point taken. Maybe the Plus forum is redundant
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    May 2008
    2020 edit featuring a 2020 26'er

https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/memb.../iceman2058,94

If after 7ys of 650b replacing 26 in the mainstream and we are still seeing fresh edits featuring new 26'ers, it's safe to say 26 has settled into its niche. With 29'ers taking more and more of the mainstream market, 650b might become vintage?

mtbr member
    Its niche was walmart bikes, but now walmart bikes are coming in 27.5, 29, and plus of both. Now that the super low end has finally killed off 26 too, I think its officially a dinosaur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I haven't seen a 26" bike around my local trailhead for a while, and when I do its mostly Walmart bikes.

26" is old, impractical, and better sizes such as 650b, 29, and 39 have arisen.
    If You didn't start on a Hardtail you're doing it Wrong

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    Maybe we should use the age of the bike to determine the age?
    Department stores do sell normal sized 26" bicycle shaped objects.
    Bikes Direct
    SportsChek

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Its niche was walmart bikes, but now walmart bikes are coming in 27.5, 29, and plus of both. Now that the super low end has finally killed off 26 too, I think its officially a dinosaur.
    Seriously? You don't think 26" has a niche? Maybe in 10 years when 26" is still used for rampage, crankworks, darkfest, joyride... people will stop talking about 26" being dead, or vintage. Probably not though. There are people that still think the earth is flat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Seriously? You don't think 26" has a niche? Maybe in 10 years when 26" is still used for rampage, crankworks, darkfest, joyride... people will stop talking about 26" being dead, or vintage. Probably not though. There are people that still think the earth is flat.
    26" is not dead by a long shot.
    Its still alive and well.

Cruiser bicycles are 26"

mtbr member
    Five or six people compete in rampage once a year, and most of them are on 27.5 bikes. Rampage is more of an oddity than anything, I wouldnt call that a niche. The one off events you listed kind of prove how dead 26 is, as they're dominated by 27/29.

World cup DH? 29ers are taking over that too! Its still mostly 27.5 bikes though.

Its dead man. Theres no rims coming out for 26 anymore, tires are VERY quickly being discontinued in 26. Anyone who does happen to try to sell a 26er ends up having to sell it for 50-75% off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There is a wide selection of rims for 26"

Laced a few up last year, had plenty to choose from. More then enough.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Five or six people compete in rampage once a year, and most of them are on 27.5 bikes. Rampage is more of an oddity than anything, I wouldnt call that a niche. The one off events you listed kind of prove how dead 26 is, as they're dominated by 27/29.

World cup DH? 29ers are taking over that too! Its still mostly 27.5 bikes though.

Its dead man. Theres no rims coming out for 26 anymore, tires are VERY quickly being discontinued in 26. Anyone who does happen to try to sell a 26er ends up having to sell it for 50-75% off.
    You're tough to argue with because you don't seem to understand the diversity of the sport itself. SS and FR are niches within the sport. They were niches long before 650b, they are niches now. Nothing has changed in that regard. I get it, 650b replaced 26 in the mainstream. I'm not arguing against that. My argument is that 26 isn't dead. FR, SS, pumptrack, dual slalom, 4x, trials... All still have 26 bikes in competition, and you can buy these niche bikes in 2020 from major and boutique companies. Yes they are a tiny percentage of the whole market but it's always been that way. 650b didn't change that. You can say 650b killed 26 from xc through dh, but saying 26 is dead just shows ignorance.

Ironically this just came out today: new company enters the niche SS MTB market with full suspension and hardtail options.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-...ope-Bikes,3512
    Last edited by slimat99; 04-02-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Here, diagonally!
    There are a large number of riders on 26" bikes (I suspect they may be somewhat less likely to be on a mountain biking forum posting about the latest and greatest mtb hardware).

There is a need to share information on 26 parts availability and new products if nothing else. Kind of a no-brainer it should stay. I won't specifically call out the other forums with less traffic....
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

monster member
    I don't know, the choices were unclear. But I like my old 26ers, but I think 27.5ers could take their place for the under 5'-4" crowd,...so.. ?
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Saw this a few years ago. Figure we could all use a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    You're tough to argue with because you don't seem to understand the diversity of the sport itself. SS and FR are niches within the sport. They were niches long before 650b, they are niches now. Nothing has changed in that regard. I get it, 650b replaced 26 in the mainstream. I'm not arguing against that. My argument is that 26 isn't dead. FR, SS, pumptrack, dual slalom, 4x, trials... All still have 26 bikes in competition, and you can buy these niche bikes in 2020 from major and boutique companies. Yes they are a tiny percentage of the whole market but it's always been that way. 650b didn't change that. You can say 650b killed 26 from xc through dh, but saying 26 is dead just shows ignorance.

Ironically this just came out today: new company enters the niche SS MTB market with full suspension and hardtail options.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-...ope-Bikes,3512
    All of mountain biking is a niche sport. Calling a niche inside of something thats already a niche is dicing it up pretty thin .

And come on, freeride has been dead for years now too. The bender/super monster T days are long gone.

mbtr member
    I love that my troll thread is being taken seriously.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Im just glad there is 26er forum activity. The 8 people total who still own 26ers can only post so much content!

mbtr member
    Im just glad there is 26er forum activity. The 8 people total who still own 26ers can only post so much content!
    To be fair, this was started in july 2019 when 26ers where much more relevant.

(most of my miles in 2020 have been on two 26ers, hahahah)
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Dark Meat
    650b minus 25mm
    Whatís a 650b???

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That video is hillareous. Bicycle companies starting new component sizing to get more money, so true.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    To be fair, this was started in july 2019 when 26ers where much more relevant.

(most of my miles in 2020 have been on two 26ers, hahahah)
    26'er were more relevant in 2019? I would say 26'ers have had the same status since around 2015. Little has changed since around 2014/15 when mainstream 26" options dropped to nearly nothing. In 2020 we actually have more 26" rims and tires to choose from than in 2015. Chromag just released new wheels in 26" for an example. I'm spending much more on 650b stuff these days, but I know there are a lot of riders like me that have a 26'er they'll never sell. Clearly there's enough money in 26" to keep rims and tires coming. That and the SS/DJ market that's essentially identical to what it was in 2012 is what's going to keep 26" alive.

https://nsmb.com/articles/chromag-phase30-wheels/

mbtr member
    26'er were more relevant in 2019? I would say 26'ers have had the same status since around 2015. Little has changed since around 2014/15 when mainstream 26" options dropped to nearly nothing. In 2020 we actually have more 26" rims and tires to choose from than in 2015. Chromag just released new wheels in 26" for an example. I'm spending much more on 650b stuff these days, but I know there are a lot of riders like me that have a 26'er they'll never sell. Clearly there's enough money in 26" to keep rims and tires coming. That and the SS/DJ market that's essentially identical to what it was in 2012 is what's going to keep 26" alive.

https://nsmb.com/articles/chromag-phase30-wheels/
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes I get it you're trolling with the vintage thing. I took a big bite out of that one. Half of mtbr is trolling. I'm happy to kill the time one way or the other. I was commenting on 26" being more relevant in 2019 than now. I assumed you were being serious with that one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm spending much more on 650b stuff these days
    Yeaup them parts are expensive.