Small (155mm?) crank suggestions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Small (155mm?) crank suggestions

    Hi all,
    I am building a 26er for my daughter. The frame is 41x92mm BB92 bottom bracket. I think 155mm crank length is about right (possibly a bit too long but I don't want her to outgrow it too soon.

    Any suggestions of cranks given the frame and what BB should I get to go with them?

    Thx, Lloyd
    Last edited by lloydus; 11-11-2018 at 12:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,765
    There are three pretty popular upgrade options, but all seem to be GXP style BB:

    Trailcraft Direct Mount 152mm
    https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...-mount-cranks/

    Brood Styx 155mm
    https://spawncycles.com/brood-eldorado-syx-155

    SRAM NX 155mm
    https://www.amazon.com/Sram-Nx-Crank.../dp/B01BZBTDSC

    Trailcraft are the most expensive, but have an alloy bottom bracket spindle to keep the weight low and come with an alloy chainring. They are about 150+ grams lighter than a SRAM NX 155mm which uses a steel spindle and comes with a steel chainring. Not sure if light weight is important or not, but that's about 1/3 of a pound. More pics with weights here https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2425155/

    For BB, since you have BB92 I think you will need a BB92 to BSA 24mm spindle BB adapter.

    https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...nks-black.html

    Best thing to do is to figure out what cranks you want then contact Wheels Mfg to verify you are getting the right BB. But I think the one linked above is what you need.

    Hope it helps!
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Very helpful. Thank you.

  4. #4
    Hardtail Steel Forever
    Reputation: jestep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,994
    The NX is a good one for the money. It and the Brood are GXP and not straight 24mm so if you do go that route, make sure to get the appropriate 24/22 bottom bracket or adapter and not a straight 24mm one.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Thank you Jestep. So I am going to for a trailcraft 152mm crank which "use a BSA (Shimano standard) 24mm spline", primarily because it is substantially lighter than some of the alternatives.

    I am still confused about which bottom bracket and what the pros and cons of the various choices are at https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...indle_dia=7121.

    I have 2 questions:
    1) Can someone help me decide among:
    -ABEC-3
    -Angular contact
    - Thread together ABEC-3
    - Thread together angular contact
    2) Are there alternatives to these Wheels mfg bottom brackets that might be lighter or less expensive?

    Here's a link to the trailcraft crank:
    https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...-mount-cranks/

    In case anyone else is reading this I found a few others in the 152mm to 155mm range. Here they are:
    1) SRAM NX 1x X-SYNC™ Crankset 30t (not bad choice but heavier than trailcraft)
    2) Trailcraft 30t ($170 incl cog and lightest)
    3) Suntour 1x ZERON 30T Aluminum Crankset hollowtech 2 (quite heavy but least expensive)
    4) Canfield Brothers*DH 83mm Crank with BB (heavy not sure weight)

  6. #6
    Hardtail Steel Forever
    Reputation: jestep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydus View Post
    Thank you Jestep. So I am going to for a trailcraft 152mm crank which "use a BSA (Shimano standard) 24mm spline", primarily because it is substantially lighter than some of the alternatives.

    I am still confused about which bottom bracket and what the pros and cons of the various choices are at https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...indle_dia=7121.

    I have 2 questions:
    1) Can someone help me decide among:
    -ABEC-3
    -Angular contact
    - Thread together ABEC-3
    - Thread together angular contact
    2) Are there alternatives to these Wheels mfg bottom brackets that might be lighter or less expensive?

    Here's a link to the trailcraft crank:
    https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...-mount-cranks/

    In case anyone else is reading this I found a few others in the 152mm to 155mm range. Here they are:
    1) SRAM NX 1x X-SYNC™ Crankset 30t (not bad choice but heavier than trailcraft)
    2) Trailcraft 30t ($170 incl cog and lightest)
    3) Suntour 1x ZERON 30T Aluminum Crankset hollowtech 2 (quite heavy but least expensive)
    4) Canfield Brothers*DH 83mm Crank with BB (heavy not sure weight)
    If it's for a kid, I'd just get this one and skip the angular contact bearing setups which are better but probably overkill for a light rider. https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...no-cranks.html

    Someone should be able to confirm but you should be good with this with a standard 68/73 24mm spindle crankset like the trailcraft.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Have to update this post. There are two good alternatives.

    1) Brood Bike co Styx direct mount crank is 155m and 590grams excl BB and chainring for $115. Add on a light chainring for $36 and 50g and you are all in for $151 at 640 grams for a 155mm.
    2) Trailcraft who have a $159 price for a 152mm crank with a 28t chainring weighing a total of 573 grams.

    Good enough choices.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,670
    suntour XCR cranks are about 40 bucks. I went with one for my kid, in 155mm.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    I was interested in a single speed crank that would fit a BB92 frame. I could not find a Suntour XCR 155mm using a google search. I could find a Suntour XCT 152mm however this was a triple and not a single. I looked on the suntour website at ChainwheelÂ*- SR SUNTOUR Cycling and could only find one single speed crank. It is the ZERON ZERON-1X which is available in 152mm but when I went to find one for sale on the web I was not successful. Also it has a minimum 30t chainring.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    252
    I've got a very lightly used Trailcraft square-taper 2x+bash setup, if that interests. 152mm arms w/BB.

    Works great as a 1x with the RaceFace 30t NW ring, but we're keeping the ring...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Sorry the frame for my build is BB92 so can't go square taper. If I did there'd be lots more choices!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    205
    Hey Lloydus.

    You can find our crank and crank parts on our North American website.

    www.srsuntour.us

    Let us know if you have any questions.

    Best, Nick
    [email protected]
    SR SUNTOUR North America

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    24
    Plenty of BMX cranks using square taper and 5x110/130 chainring fitment, such as Sinz, if you wanna go down that route. 145/150/155 arms.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydus View Post
    I was interested in a single speed crank that would fit a BB92 frame. I could not find a Suntour XCR 155mm using a google search. I could find a Suntour XCT 152mm however this was a triple and not a single. I looked on the suntour website at ChainwheelÂ*- SR SUNTOUR Cycling and could only find one single speed crank. It is the ZERON ZERON-1X which is available in 152mm but when I went to find one for sale on the web I was not successful. Also it has a minimum 30t chainring.
    I'm looking at these for my son. 152mm 899 grams. comes with the BB.

    https://www.srsuntour.us/products/ze...nt=45338041742

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by 53sled View Post
    I'm looking at these for my son. 152mm 899 grams. comes with the BB.

    https://www.srsuntour.us/products/ze...nt=45338041742
    I finally ended up going with a more expensive and lighter product. Trailcraft 152mm cranks (511 grams) and trailcraft 30t chainring (71 grams). Total cost $159. You can choose among 26t, 28t, 30t and 32t chainrings.

    https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...-mount-cranks/

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Update: Trailcraft 152mm cranks are working well. They are part of a super light weight hard tail bike - and best of all (according to my daughter) it's BRIGHT PINK.

Similar Threads

  1. wicked good deal on kids push bike kids woot
    By MattyBoyR6 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
  2. B-day Idea for kids and big kids..
    By SKULLY in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Members who have read this thread: 49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.