Shift lever upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Shift lever upgrade

I have Shimano Alivia shift levers on my Giant Stance. I'm starting to have problems with my thumbs. Even though it doesn't seem that it takes much pressure to shift, shifting my bike makes it much worse. Is it possible to change the shifters to a higher end model without changing the drive train? From the research that I've done so far, I've learned that I should change out the cables and casings, since the bike is two years old, and they haven't been changed yet. But aside from changing the cables, would a shifter upgrade be an improvement? Is it feasible? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Have you tried changing the shifter positions, both rotational and distance to the brake lever? The person who assembled the bike had no idea what might be the most comfortable for you.

It is possible to change to other 9sp Shimano shifters without changing the drive train. However, Shimano no longer makes better 9sp shifters. You will be limited to older used models deore, slx, xt and xtr. While better shifters are more precise, lighter and last longer, the thumb pressure is about the same since that is more related to the derailleurs and cable friction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks rlouder. I haven't tried this. I'll experiment to see if I can find a more comfortable position for them. So, with new cables/housings, the most relevant factor to thumb pressure is the der?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There is no getting around the Der spring by design. Companies often pinch pennies on bikes by using cheap cables/housing. Check the drive train section to see what quality cables and housing people recommend. The better cables last longer besides having less friction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I took it in to the shop to replace cables/housings. They said they would use shimano parts. When I get it back I'll experiment with the positioning. The problem with the Alivios (for me) is the throw on the levers as much as the pressure. At the shop they suggested I hold out for e-shifters. The Giant rep happened to be there and he said that they would be offering them on some models by next year. I'm a little skeptical, but they sound interesting.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds expensive. What about grip shift?
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I have grip shifters on an old bike that I ride around the neighborhood with my wife. I just replaced them actually. Theyíre not too precise. Maybe there are better quality models.

Thanks,
    Steve

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I bought these (https://www.amazon.com/MicroShift-Tw.../dp/B00FSRTEXO) afew years ago and ran them one season before I cracked my i drive. They're cheap and shifted great. Only problem was if your bouncing around on the rocks and roots they'll shift on you unless your just holding your bike grips. I still have them if you want them for $10

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Owl,

Thanks for the tip. These may be better than the srams I have on my old bike. A commenter on Amazon said that he replaced his Alvios with these and they are working great. I am concerned about inadvertent shifting though - lots of rocks and roots around here. Something to think about none the less. Thanks for the offer as well, I'll let you know if I decide to go this way.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    yes you have to just hold your grips, long bars help a lot

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Triggers usually work fine unless someone has a medical issue. Is it possible that your current setup is concentrating the hand pressure to the part of the palm next to the thumb instead of spreading the pressure evenly, causing numbness and reducing thumb range and strength?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If the shop canít get it sorted out to your liking, and $120 is in the budget, you may consider a new Sram x9 9 speed rear derailleur and some XO shifters off eBay. The difference will be significant. I canít advise whether spending money on 9 speed is a good idea - thatís on you.

For comparison, upgrading to 11sp full XT would run you $360 for a whole new drivetrain. This might be a better way to go but thatís up to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Microshift Advent group is $125 for shifter, clutched RD (clutched RD makes a HUGE difference) and 11-42 9sp cassette.

https://www.microshift.com/en/introducing-advent/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...rivetrain.html