Seeing more old school 26ers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Seeing more old school 26ers

In the last month or two I have been seeing more older 26ers on the trails around here

I am enjoying this trend.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I still ride mine. 26 isn't dead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Maybe some more will be sold or will show up in second hand stores (when these folks decide to modernize and get new bicycles) 👍

I need to expand my collection of 26 inch mtb

local trails rider
    I'm a little concerned about the availability of good tires (I like 2.4" width, or even a little over). I suppose they are out there.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Maybe some more will be sold or will show up in second hand stores (when these folks decide to modernize and get new bicycles)

I need to expand my collection of 26 inch mtb
    I bought my Santa Cruz Superlight for cheap. It's ridiculous the value in 26" bikes. The entire bike is high end components. There just isn't that much difference with 27.5" to justify the insane prices. A comparable 27.5 would be $3.5k plus. I also own a 29er as well and I love them both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by hsakkire View Post
    I bought my Santa Cruz Superlight for cheap. It's ridiculous the value in 26" bikes. The entire bike is high end components. There just isn't that much difference with 27.5" to justify the insane prices. A comparable 27.5 would be $3.5k plus. I also own a 29er as well and I love them both.

I agree. I love them all as well.

I noticed Amazon is getting thin on 26er parts

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    26" is still alive and kicking

Its just many people went into their shed to grab their rusted bicycles out for a quick tune and ride. They'd probably throw it in the dumpster when they upgrade to a 27.5 or 29 or fat bike. Always keep your eyes peeled for bicycles abandoned, I scored some old school thumb shifters so now I save $10. I also took the seat, seat post and will probably go back for the crankset. Which reminded me to do that today before its tossed in the dumpster 30' away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I agree. I love them all as well.

I noticed Amazon is getting thin on 26er parts
    Still plenty on ebay. Frames, forks, and rims, all being sold off for cheap cause it isn't in demand rn. Particularly the stuff that is too new to be considered vintage.
    íRodando Por Ti!

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Thousands of dollars for the consumer on-top of the millions of dollars of new tire production, fork lowers, etc. that the industry has spent. All for less than a half inch difference in radius. 29ers have their place but 650b? Only makes sense as a plus option for 29ers or on a gravel bike.

Also considering that wagon wheels have taken over racing, and 26 will always be used in dj, slopestyle, & street, 27.5 seems to have the most uncertain future. So us oddballs might be ahead of the trends 10 or 15 years from now.
    íRodando Por Ti!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Love my fully rigid 1990 trek 930. It hangs with all the expensive fancy bikes on most of the foothill trails in NM. I'm a firm believer in the "Indian not the arrow" metaphor for 80% of life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    I'm a little concerned about the availability of good tires (I like 2.4" width, or even a little over). I suppose they are out there.
    Maxxis has a bunch of super looking 26" tyres.

I'm partial to Surly Extraterrestrials 26"x2.5".

Schwalbe also has a fine selection of 26" fat tyres, BigApples, BigBen, ect...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hey y'all. Just joined the forum. I just started riding again last year after nearly 20 years off. Rescued a nearly unridden 2001 Gary Fisher from my dad's garage. Probably had fewer than 25 miles lifetime. Having a ton of fun riding all the singletrack options around my hood. Now I've got the bug so doing some work on it. 1x conversion in progress!

I also got my 13yo kid into it last summer. This spring I scored him an old Bianchi Denali with XT and XTR components and he is killing it on that bike and I paid $120 for it. Put about that much back into it (tires, tubes, grips, pedals, tune-up) and that bike is a sweet little ride for a 13yo kid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake January View Post

So does Continental. And the rolling resistance of many of these brands are really good so you an have a really nice, low weight, fast rolling meaty tire now.

And honestly, a 30mm+ Chinese carbon rim with nice spokes built around a good hub is not that expensive and gives a great ride.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake January View Post

The street tyre situation isn't bad.
    I've been on Schwalbe Fat Albert for some time on my 26" rigid SS bike. The rear one is starting to look a bit used. Schwalbe and Continental, at least, list some trail tyres that should work.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Michelin just released the DH34 in 26x2.4. We are still seeing some new mold 26" options in addition to those that never went away. Fewer options compared to 27 and 29 for sure, but there are still many great options.

mtbr member
    May 2008

It's interesting in that I'm seeing very similar used market pricing on 650b stuff as we had in 2014 when everyone unloaded their 26'ers. I picked up a few 26" frames that retailed for 2 to 3k new for 800 to 1k in 2015, and I've recently picked up a few 650b frames that retailed for 3k+ for 1k. 650b is literally the new 26 with roughly the same resale value respectively.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thegildedgopher View Post
    Hey y'all. Just joined the forum. I just started riding again last year after nearly 20 years off. Rescued a nearly unridden 2001 Gary Fisher from my dad's garage. Probably had fewer than 25 miles lifetime. Having a ton of fun riding all the singletrack options around my hood. Now I've got the bug so doing some work on it. 1x conversion in progress!

I also got my 13yo kid into it last summer. This spring I scored him an old Bianchi Denali with XT and XTR components and he is killing it on that bike and I paid $120 for it. Put about that much back into it (tires, tubes, grips, pedals, tune-up) and that bike is a sweet little ride for a 13yo kid.
    Welcome and great job getting your son involved! My son and I ride together as well. With 26" rides this cheap, it's suddenly an affordable sport unlike LAX, Soccer, etc. You'll drop more on fees for a season than you will on a couple of bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    So does Continental. And the rolling resistance of many of these brands are really good so you an have a really nice, low weight, fast rolling meaty tire now.

And honestly, a 30mm+ Chinese carbon rim with nice spokes built around a good hub is not that expensive and gives a great ride.
    Ali Clarkson on youtube uses Light Bicycle chinese carbon rims on his 26 trials bike, he seems to get along with them pretty well, doing 8 foot drops on rear wheel hoping onto square edges. With how light these things are compared to their larger diameter brethren is pretty sweet.

You can pay Enve 600 or more just to get a rim thats a hair under 500 grams. You can get a rim below 400grams from light bicycle for less than 200 bucks. Also you can get an alloy rim that weighs less than an enve for 100 bucks lol. Plus shorter spokes make for a stronger wheel build in general.
    íRodando Por Ti!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Im into my retro bikes, I love GTs from the 90's! Ali's was awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudalumps View Post
    Im into my retro bikes, I love GTs from the 90's! Ali's was awesome!
    RIP though he cracked that GT frame. Such versatile bikes though you can turn them into anything you want. Check this bad boy out: https://stridsland.com/portfolio/gt-...e-rubber-goat/
    íRodando Por Ti!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Check that bad boy out! I saw something somewhere similar with a 1991 GT Zaskar! Talking about cracks im actually over here looking for a user, people refer to him as FTW? I heard hes good at replacing headtubes, im looking to get a kids zaskar 9.5" with 20" wheels to use as a trials and or when got kids kids bike agian...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There is plenty available for 26" rims and tires, might not be a good selection at rei/mei or on the shelves at your local bicycle store, but you just gotta look outside the box. I get all my 26 stuff from online stores, and I stock up when I order to reduce the overall shipping hit. I just purchased 4 Alex DM24 36H rims for a few builds I am doing currently that have already been sold. I find it more difficult to find 36H rims then anything else, and most builds have to be 36H for hub systems. I can work around flat sides for V's, or disc rims and compromise on rim widths depending on what people want for tire sizes. But there is a standard lineup that is the go to. I thought Alex DM24's were all out of stock, then all of a sudden places have them in stock, in the shop. Crystalyte rims are so so, non eyeletted but a deep well for the nipples. For the bigger heavier folks, old steel frames for a good little cruiser to get them out and about moving around. The Trek ###'s or ####'s are a dime a dozen, but people who convert usually already have a bike in their shed to electrify which is fine. Whatever gets people out and about, riding and enjoying the outdoors, the animals, their friends and family. There was a group of deer just in from the pathway yesterday, a crowd had begun, its like they are seeing a pop star. I have deer around my house all the time, so its nothing new but people are amazed like they never seen a deer in the flesh before. I'd say the majority had what looked like 29" bicycles and a few had older bicycles 26".

local trails rider
    My locals are pretty hopeless for 26" parts. Major online stores look much better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    My locals are pretty hopeless for 26" parts. Major online stores look much better.
    Haven't even tried to buy 26 stuff in person since a local bikeshop tried to sell me a new bike when all I needed were some fresh tubes and tires. I got lucky at a performance bike onetime 30 miles from home, they had exactly 2 sets of 26 mtb tires. I needed it too since my tires from 1994 were literally falling apart, and I had no other means of transport other than the bus. Online is definitely the way to go, or if your LBS is cool and they are willing to order stuff for you with their dealer accounts.
    íRodando Por Ti!

mtbr member
    In the last month or two I have been seeing more older 26ers on the trails around here

I am enjoying this trend.
    Just curious, where in GA? There are plenty of trail systems in the SE that are tight and twisty, even some new built ones, where a 26er is much better suited. I keep and still occasionally ride mine for that very reason.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Why would you want to pay retail anyway? I get the support your LBS thing, but let's be real, shops are just retail outlets selling stuff at prices that are easy to beat. Online has been the way to go well before 26" stopped being the main size. I'm not into overpaying to help keep a retail business going. Shops can sell what their local riders want at competitive prices or the free market will do its thing.

I literally had a Santa Cruz dealer in my town tell me they didn't have a hanger for my nomad2 because they don't sell 26" stuff anymore. The guy didn't even know SC was using the same hanger for just about every model regardless of wheel size lol. Rather than tell him that I bought online just because of his attitude. Forget about your LBS for parts, use them for service if you don't wrench. That's where their real money is anyway. That and accessories. Buying parts at a shop is like buying bottled water at the airport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Why would you want to pay retail anyway? I get the support your LBS thing, but let's be real, shops are just retail outlets selling stuff at prices that are easy to beat. Online has been the way to go well before 26" stopped being the main size. I'm not into overpaying to help keep a retail business going. Shops can sell what their local riders want at competitive prices or the free market will do its thing.

I literally had a Santa Cruz dealer in my town tell me they didn't have a hanger for my nomad2 because they don't sell 26" stuff anymore. The guy didn't even know SC was using the same hanger for just about every model regardless of wheel size lol. Rather than tell him that I bought online just because of his attitude. Forget about your LBS for parts, use them for service if you don't wrench. That's where their real money is anyway. That and accessories. Buying parts at a shop is like buying bottled water at the airport.

As for up selling you when your in your LBS for tubes. That's some balls there from the salesman. Was a hail mary by the salesman but might as well swing right. Thats some skill if it was done slick.
    A big turn off 4 sure.

I know I've stopped going to certain LBS because of even minor things. Not sure if it was a store stock issue or inexperienced store employee, but I always turn up back at their store. Also the little things can be what sticks out whether good or bad, nothing really bad for my LBS experience, just minor things, not having spoke washers and not bothering to look at the catalogue, so busy employee most likely or they knew spoke washers werent in the catalouge and why bother.... who knows but the little things, the little things. I still go back because the two LBS play off each other, I dont like one so I go to the other, then one LBS will give me a free spoke or whatever.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by thegildedgopher View Post

That's awesome. Getting your kid involved.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I'm just getting back into Mountain biking after a 5 year hiatus. So instead of going out and spending a few thousand on a new one I found a 2001 Trek 8000 frame and have been building it into a very nice bike. Only a few components to go till I'm done. Decided to make it a 1x10. Can't wait to get it done
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seeing more old school 26ers-trek2.jpg  

Seeing more old school 26ers-trek3.jpg  

Seeing more old school 26ers-trek1.jpg  

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Thanks to previous, stay-at-home orders - the 26er bike is enjoying a resurgence at the moment. I tried finding period-correct parts for my 1997 Cannodale F1000 and was met with price gouging I have not seen, since 2008:

Seeing more old school 26ers-98_f1000_cad3.jpg
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post

Sometimes it is nice to just walk into a store, buy a part, install it, and ride the same day. Also, I like having a local around for facing a frame when I'm building a bike (been a while since last time, though).

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Just curious, where in GA? There are plenty of trail systems in the SE that are tight and twisty, even some new built ones, where a 26er is much better suited. I keep and still occasionally ride mine for that very reason.
    More so in neighborhoods/neighborhood trails 👍