Rojoteís 1999 K2 Zed X- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm Rojoteís 1999 K2 Zed X

Original owner purchased in 1999. Retail list $899 paid 670 something.
    7005 series aluminum frame, LX cranks, LX brakes, LX f derailleur

Noteworthy upgrades:
    Mavic 517 SUP wheelset w/ Mavic MX601 hubs
    Truvativ Hussefelt DH 4 bearing bottom bracket
    Shimano M System LX shifters/brakes
    Ritchey headset
    Ritchey stem
    Kore riser bar
    XT rear derailleur
    XT cassette
    Gorilla V brake booster
    WTB Podium titanium rail gel seat
    Marzocchi Atom 80
    Bell 26 road slicks 1.90Ē
    Rockbros 4 bearing CNC pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -d4c00dd1-7a0e-432a-b75b-f3a8e7d0c5c3.jpeg  

-6e82ccc2-cd69-4af9-ba6f-d5bfd63ed6c8.jpeg  

-a02b44c3-2fdd-40ec-ac78-744cc0880c50.jpeg  

-3ff208d3-0eb9-49b5-9275-f848923e36b2.jpeg  

-2016cb6c-fa28-42c5-8f2a-bc96f1e38677.jpeg  

Last edited by Rojote; 07-31-2020 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Just picked up some slicks for road use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -b442d26f-5b3c-45f2-891a-44cb1d203823.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    New 4 bearing pedals in route.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -08ae5466-5eb6-4810-997c-5696867f2d34.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    21 years with this bike. Do not like the downhill geometries of these newer mtbís. Good to revive this true XC hardtail as she rides again. New (used) fork, tires, and pedals. Ready for another 21 years...

Out spokin'
    Itís gorgeous. Hope to see you on the trail.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Itís gorgeous. Hope to see you on the trail.
    =sParty
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Updates: Bike is an urban beast now. Huge difference in road feel, speed, responsiveness compared to the treaded tires. Wow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -22b58f4d-b29f-4cd9-b042-20f3ac025c5d.jpeg  

-bbd84ee3-5137-4215-bcef-5522fc951579.jpeg  

-2ef63cf3-afaa-427d-a697-e575cedfe526.jpeg  

-1f7f305d-ecc9-485a-874c-20401e687ecb.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Funny. Walking through the bike shop yesterday (carries 4 top brands) I was not impressed with the $3-6000 mountain bikes overall. Full suspension reminds me of little girl bike frame shapes...lol. Glad I just revamped my old school setup. Sorry to offend any newer bike riders.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojote View Post
    Funny. Walking through the bike shop yesterday (carries 4 top brands) I was not impressed with the $3-6000 mountain bikes overall. Full suspension reminds me of little girl bike frame shapes...lol. Glad I just revamped my old school setup. Sorry to offend any newer bike riders.
    Think whatever you want, youíre not offending anyone. But those of us whoíve kept up with the times might be chuckling a bit at your perspective.

Not that thereís anything wrong with it. Itís just that todayís mountain bike is far, far more capable, safer, stronger, more ergonomic ó more everything ó than 1999ís mountain bike or even 2009ís mountain bike.

Iíve averaged a new bike every year since getting my first mountain bike ó a 1984 Diamond Back Mean Streak. Iíve loved almost every mountain bike that Iíve owned since then (only a couple dogs in the bunch) but anyway in each case the new bike eclipsed its predecessors in terms of performance & capability.

Your old gem is perfect for what youíre using it for. Glad you love it ó thatís all that matters. Iíve still got my Ď84 Mean Streak, too (well, it hangs from the rafters of a bike shop in Oakridge, Oregon where they keep it on display for me) and I wouldnít want to part with it nor any of the wonderful memories it spawned. But just to set the record straight, new bikes are immeasurably more capable than our old steeds.

Meanwhile, keep loving your Ď99. Itís a classic.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hope

Think whatever you want, youíre not offending anyone. But those of us whoíve kept up with the times might be chuckling a bit at your perspective.

Not that thereís anything wrong with it. Itís just that todayís mountain bike is far, far more capable, safer, stronger, more ergonomic ó more everything ó than 1999ís mountain bike or even 2009ís mountain bike.

Iíve averaged a new bike every year since getting my first mountain bike ó a 1984 Diamond Back Mean Streak. Iíve loved almost every mountain bike that Iíve owned since then (only a couple dogs in the bunch) but anyway in each case the new bike eclipsed its predecessors in terms of performance & capability.

Your old gem is perfect for what youíre using it for. Glad you love it ó thatís all that matters. Iíve still got my Ď84 Mean Streak, too (well, it hangs from the rafters of a bike shop in Oakridge, Oregon where they keep it on display for me) and I wouldnít want to part with it nor any of the wonderful memories it spawned. But just to set the record straight, new bikes are immeasurably more capable than our old steeds.

=sParty
    Knew that comment would stir the nest a tad. Thanks for the reply.

Agreed on most points. Unless you live next to and use downhill type terrain or man-made purpose built terrain (for downhill bikes) you will never use the said advantages. Itís all a trend is really my point. Started in Colorado like areas with ski slopes and lifts that the Manufacturers jumped on (to start the trend) and pumped a ton of money (marketing/riders/etc) into. Follow the $$$.

I understand there are technology improvements and tweaks being made as time goes on. My v-brakes still work 90-95% as well as my hydraulic disc brakes on my Cannondale. Very comparable for my use. There are still guys winning on 26ís in XC racing. Am I the kind of guy who canít let go of the past and embrace the new...maybe. .

Do not dig the looks though. I personally will never buy anything that is not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. .

Cheers! Good discussion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hope

More shitt. .

Ti bolts with Carbon cages. New seat post clamp. Bling bling!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -6b4abc9d-99ba-4138-a463-c90362a75c84.jpg  

-2211d241-382d-4a55-834c-365bc81bf802.jpg  

-6787b653-6d21-4f1b-bc69-d2ac69fe0d87.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Race Face

-e05c68ca-9529-4434-8690-78451c639826.jpeg

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Name:  40757B18-5F0C-4603-B8D7-B10A8CCB9FA0.jpeg
Views: 146
Size:  26.8 KBlooking good...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Itís all a trend is really my point. Started in Colorado
    You funny!

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You funny!

Yeah road bikes are next! Have you seen the new downhill setup??

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    More pics, waiting on carbon seat post clamp. Fun...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -d06b7bc9-3824-4209-99ef-24bf2664abd7.jpeg  

-67fccf15-d470-4225-b60b-6441944f109d.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    . But just to set the record straight, new bikes are immeasurably more capable than our old steeds.
    How so?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    They are better at ski slopes and down specific built terrain only....

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Emax View Post
    How so?
    Such a short question... such a long answer.

Improvements have come in all areas. Every corner of the bike. Frame design (geometry), frame construction (strength/integrity), innovations (ie: dropper post), components (shifting & brakes), suspension, ergonomics, tires & wheels. Everything.

One thing leads to another. Early mountain bike adapters were roadies, so they utilized existing components available to them on their mountain bikes. This was in the 80s. Throughout the past 40 years or so, mountain bikes have come into their own and every year the mountain bike looks and acts more like a purpose built human powered off-road vehicle. Some improvements have been borrowed from off-road motorcycles, like the thru-axle.

I could write a chapter on any of the areas described above, but wonít do so here & now. Sorry but it would take more time than Iím interested in spending (although at the same time it would be kind of a fun exercise.)
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    A new bike every year for 35 years!!

The amount of money I spent on 2 mountain bikes I thought I'd never need to buy another one!

=sParty

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Such a short question... such a long answer.
    Other than describing how older MTB's were developed, and the fact that new bikes have improved, you really haven't explained the immeasurable capability of the new bikes over old.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Emax View Post
    Other than describing how older MTB's were developed, and the fact that new bikes have improved, you really haven't explained the immeasurable capability of the new bikes over old.
    Busted!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewjjolly View Post
    A new bike every year for 35 years!!
    Think about it... thatís only 35 bikes.

Life is short. Hopefully I have time to acquire 35 more.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Great conversation!!!

I have a downhill slope park (purpose built) 5 miles from my house. Sure the new high $ shitt works great on it. Not my trendy cup of tea. Will it stick long term only time will tell?? I get it. Going 100 mph plus on the water in a catamaran boat is not cheap nor necessarily trendy. lol...
    Last edited by Rojote; 08-23-2020 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    -c80fb37f-74cb-4ee7-8a16-0ce5ee499d71.jpeg26.2 pounds ready to ride with dual bottle cages, rear brake booster, and heavy ass Marzocchi Atom 80. Tank!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I did the same with my 2003 Giant Warp DS. Although I did end up buying a new FS Scott Spark in 2017. I ride both and like the suspension on my giant a bit more than the Scott. The shocks on my Giant are both coil and are so supple and smooth. The only real difference in the 2 bikes is the Scott is a 27.5 and seems to roll over some stuff that the Giant requires some skill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -3486fa3a-c319-40d9-9662-9057792e02ae.jpg  

-68c09292-d819-45f1-9172-3c3cc95e7cc9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithD42 View Post
    I did the same with my 2003 Giant Warp DS. Although I did end up buying a new FS Scott Spark in 2017. I ride both and like the suspension on my giant a bit more than the Scott. The shocks on my Giant are both coil and are so supple and smooth. The only real difference in the 2 bikes is the Scott is a 27.5 and seems to roll over some stuff that the Giant requires some skill.
    Badass rides Keith! That Giant was ahead of itís time!

Shartacular Spectacular
    Rojote, I hate to ďbrakeĒ it to you, but you wouldnít be allowed to even put that pinnacle of mtb engineering and design on the lifts at my local parks, but itís a hardtail so I suppose you could just climb. Apparently, despite being only 90%-95% performance of disk brakes, rim brakes arenít allowed for safety/insurance reasons. Must be marketing pushing the insurance companies.
    18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    Rojote, I hate to ďbrakeĒ it to you, but you wouldnít be allowed to even put that pinnacle of mtb engineering and design on the lifts at my local parks, but itís a hardtail so I suppose you could just climb. Apparently, despite being only 90%-95% performance of disk brakes, rim brakes arenít allowed for safety/insurance reasons. Must be marketing pushing the insurance companies.
    Donít worry as no plans to ride it at downhill parks. Never have and never will. I will however will pass you on the street. lol. Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Let me clear up this thread for those that appear confused. A 1995-2005 model era hardtail is NOT a downhill bike. LOL. My usage includes street, trail, gravel, and pub hopping. So no, the newer ďdownhill specificĒ bikes are not going to excel in this type of riding compared to my old relic K2. Especially from a value proposition. Why all the downhill guyís feeling the need to correct my perspective in a 26íer section...? Oh and I actually get to pedal up hills versus being chair lifted. LOL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Badass rides Keith! That Giant was ahead of itís time!
    While that is a nice example of that model and year, by 2003, that type of single pivot bike wouldn't exactly be considered 'ahead of it's time'.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    While that is a nice example of that model and year, by 2003, that type of single pivot bike wouldn't exactly be considered 'ahead of it's time'.
    Maybe more of an effective simple design. Timeless! I would like to find a nice K2 Razorback team with the push (Turner designed) rear suspension w/ lock out. Another oldie, but a goodie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    K2 Razorback team
    Speaking of cool color schemes - built this up out of spare parts for a friend's son last fall.

-img_1886.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Speaking of cool color schemes - built this up out of spare parts for a friend's son last fall.

Way cool!! What year frame?

Saw this on Ebay today in Muncie Indiana. Thatís my bike!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -6c2c3a1d-f44f-4158-b247-79cf29ebb6ef.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Way cool!! What year frame?

Saw this on Ebay today in Muncie Indiana. Thatís my bike!!!
    2001 I believe.
    It's a neighborhood cruiser/pumptrack build. Kid loves it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    -b4d392df-b39a-43a9-b6f9-05604fd0be53.jpgScore...!!!

XTR M960 lightly used crankset. .

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hope

-94ca91e5-c996-4ec8-ab94-03975c830e28.jpeg-1df174fa-1837-4651-9cba-96dba3e21613.jpeg-7ad38f5e-fed8-4c03-8b5d-7b7c0b51735a.jpegDone upgrading the old Zed. Put on some lightly used XTR crankset on to finish the bling ding. Awesome street cruiser now that surprisingly gets up and goes. Now a 25 pounder total weight with new cranks. . K2 lives...

Out spokin'
    Nice! I recall about 15 years ago when all the coolest singlespeeders were cutting the spiders down on those cranks to make super sexy SS-specific cranks.

Just think Rojote, soon youíll run out of components to upgrade so youíll be upgrading your frame. ::gasp::
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm

Nice! I recall about 15 years ago when all the coolest singlespeeders were cutting the spiders down on those cranks to make super sexy SS-specific cranks.

Just think Rojote, soon youíll run out of components to upgrade so youíll be upgrading your frame. ::gasp::
    =sParty
    Yes, the 2003-2005 XTR M960ís were popular single ring conversions. Funny you say frame upgrade. I saw an old Klein Adroit Race sitting up on a wall (display) at my local bike shop today. Circa 1999-2002 my guess in full XTR and Sid Race fork. Drool city for me. May try to contact the owner to see if it is for sale. No new stuff... Lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

1999 K2 Zed X mountain bike

-c0baf740-67b9-4099-871f-eab6285bb139.jpeg-e782addb-9b85-4634-a1e4-cc0406e2e8a3.jpeg-c35b4f48-e690-4d2c-a0b6-c4b929620653.jpeg-6da10c51-c4c7-437c-8a93-a317bdfbf69a.jpegMore glamour shots...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    -f632992e-1537-466d-9bf7-3e248db97f1c.jpgShimano Ultegra 12-25 cassette in route. ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    -28ac9e56-b4ab-4089-af3b-10b4b1edcea2.jpeg-4cff046e-29d6-4c4d-855b-f5d1b1066976.jpeg-aeaaa0ab-b9ac-43a0-a393-cf43b061f121.jpeg-5d438e85-5650-4a7e-9830-c7d592b11b66.jpegThe K2 Zed thread that will never die... Lol!

So finally got too adding the Ultegra 12-25 cassette. Dropped another 110 grams like I care. Dialed in that rear derailleur near perfect. Feels like a completely different bike with the upgrades. Been fun and thanks for joining me on the ride...

Only thing left stock on the 1999 K2 Zed X is the LX v-brakes, LX front derailleur, and frame. Cheers!

Out spokin'
    Donít stop now, Rojote! Keep pumping cash into that beauty! Thereís so much more you can do!
    Think titanium...
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Wink

Donít stop now, Rojote! Keep pumping cash into that beauty! Thereís so much more you can do!
    Think titanium...
    =sParty
    Lol! Being that Iím original owner over 21 years now she has a soft spot in my heart. Still spent a 1/4 of going new tops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Wink

Forgot what a nightmare these v brakes can be. Had some Kool stop pads on back that I should have left alone. The fronts where (original 1999 pads) not working well and sounded like sandpaper. So I ordered up new front and back Shimano shoe/pads and must have over tightened a brake arm by accident. Spent 2 hours trying to figure out wtf the fronts would not operate correctly. Lol. Got it sorted finally...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Can Rojote quit buying shit for his 21 year old beater bike...? No! Lol. Incoming to replace XT M750 rear derailleur.

Low use M960 XTR derailleur to match XTR crankset. .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -af959a44-0a7c-4956-87bf-9afdc341a1e9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Yes....yes....yes.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -b7e9f9ca-9060-4222-8e97-9d166ad1db13.jpeg  

-c923aa0b-5a8e-419d-916c-0d20ed1e1b91.jpeg  

Ride what you like!
    Think titanium...
    =sParty
    Lol yup, keep spending, and you'll be near to what Sparty spent on replacement thirty something years ago.
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Yes balz deep into this one. Been fun experience to hop up an oldie. Checking the box finally on this one. Added a more road saddle/post with Selle Royal Viper on Ritchie. .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -d6e9ef04-14b4-4d95-b345-7229cc4fd2b0.jpeg  

-2928b460-61e8-4b76-8fef-656b68f010a9.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Couple more shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -a89aae46-041f-43d7-8348-46a2e61f5528.jpeg  

-558bc7fb-3397-49cc-a886-59221aed2aff.jpeg  

-cf7cf654-a9e3-4a5c-b595-c69595b4f1bb.jpeg