Replacement frame suggestions for old Giant ATX860 1997- Mtbr.com
    b1_
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Replacement frame suggestions for old Giant ATX860 1997

The frame on my old Giant ATX860 1997 has failed at the chain stay. I'm wondering if anyone knows an equivalent frame I could buy as a replacement, then just transfer all the bits over.

I had modified it over the years, adding reinforced wheel rims, rigid forks, grip shifters and various drive trains.

I rode that bike everywhere over the years and found it very reliable and versatile and would like to keep the same configuration.

My budget is US$200 or less if possible, but can consider more if the frame is good. I've tried Aliexpress.com but can't find a 26" wheel, v-brake, 20.5inch(52cm) sized frame, rigid front fork, hardtail, 1 1/8 inch head-stem, english crank (not integrated), steel alloy frame. I just don't know where I'm supposed to look, and all the tech has changed since 1997.

Here are some Aliexpress frames I've come across but not the right type:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285...f-6033c66f2305
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...6-88aaad5d736b
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...f-6033c66f2305
    Where else could I source a bike frame?

I am in Australia. I am 182cm tall, 5'11".

Can anyone help?

Specs:
    https://bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/65912
    - Giant ATX860 1997
    - 19.5inch frame (a little small for me, I think I need about 20.5inch frame or 52cm)
    - I got it down to about 11kg in total
    - V-brakes
    - I running 1.75inch wide slick-tread tires atm
    -
    Some old pics before I changed to rigid front forks
    Replacement frame suggestions for old Giant ATX860 1997-dscf0616.jpg
    -
    Replacement frame suggestions for old Giant ATX860 1997-my-bike-20090815.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'd try to find a used Trek, Giant, Specialized, GT, Fisher, Diamondback, etc on the Australian equivalent of craigslist.

Other than the headset, I don't think there were too many conflicting standards to worry about in the 1990s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How bad is the damage? Can it not be welded / repaired?

b1_
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bholio2 View Post
    I'd try to find a used Trek, Giant, Specialized, GT, Fisher, Diamondback, etc on the Australian equivalent of craigslist.
    I am doing this but not having much luck so far. This method takes time and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Here2Learn View Post
    How bad is the damage? Can it not be welded / repaired?
    It's a clean break just beyond chain-stay cross piece. I've been told that the alloy steel in the frame is harder to repair than both plain steel and carbon, so not worth it - new frame would be similar cost (but I haven't actually enquired myself yet).

I also didn't look after the frame too well so I wouldn't be surprised if rust had got inside the tubing.

The frame is labelled CU92 alloy.

I may consider doing this depending on whether I can find another frame - thx for bringing it up.

---

I have looked through the "List of 26" bikes still being sold new" thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/26er-bikes/l...ew-981417.html . A lot of those listed in there seem no longer to make 26", that list having been created about 3 yrs ago.

I have not been able to find a cheap frame on Aliexpress. The only frame manufacturer I have found that seems to take 26" wheeled bikes seriously is Surly and the Long-Haul Trucker 26" frameset. I might pay the premium for the frame and build something like this from my old bike parts:

Replacement frame suggestions for old Giant ATX860 1997-surly_long_haul_trucker_flatbar_26wheel.jpg

The mechanic at my local bike shop seems to think I could find a cheap frame, so I guess I will talk with him again and see what he can come up with. Otherwise the Surly Long Haul Trucker 26" it is.

mtbr member
    The long haul trucker is a good bike for its purpose, which is loaded touring. If that is suitable for your needs then go ahead and spend the money. I'm a fan of Surly and I believe you would get a life long frameset as long as you maintain it. However, I agree with your mechanic and I think that $200 for a decent used steel frame is certainly possible. When I look at the 'bay and filter by steel frame, 26" wheels, and under 200 there are 139 listings. I would first look locally though. Are there any mtb groups around that might list frames/bikes for sale? Happy searchin'!

You may find some options on the 'bay such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TRE...YAAOSwrgVddU~l

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breezer-Thu...wAAOSwBL1deFbQ
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b1_ View Post
    The only frame manufacturer I have found that seems to take 26" wheeled bikes seriously is Surly and the Long-Haul Trucker 26" frameset. I might pay the premium for the frame and build something like this from my old bike parts:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surly_Long_Haul_Trucker_Flatbar_26wheel.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	1278427

The mechanic at my local bike shop seems to think I could find a cheap frame, so I guess I will talk with him again and see what he can come up with. Otherwise the Surly Long Haul Trucker 26" it is.
    Ya cannot go wrong with an LHT, wonderful bike, super sturdy, fine riding comfort and stability especially with heavy loads..
    The other great option would the the Surly Troll if you can find a used frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    The long haul trucker is a good bike for its purpose, which is loaded touring.

Sure the Long Haul Trucker is good for loaded touring, but it also happens to do everything else very well too.
    If I had to pick one bike from my 26er stable (Trek, Merida, Troll, LHT) to be my one and only, it would be the LHT.

That $99 Trek frame is indeed a freaking bargain... I'd buy that in a heartbeat too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake January View Post
    Sure the Long Haul Trucker is good for loaded touring, but it also happens to do everything else very well too.
    If I had to pick one bike from my 26er stable (Trek, Merida, Troll, LHT) to be my one and only, it would be the LHT.
    I don't disagree that the LHT can do more than just loaded touring, commuting, coffee runs, gravel, etc. However, I would want something more spry for trail use, just personal opinion. That said, I'd certainly be happy with it if I had one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a 1998 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, but it's 18.5".. probably too small for you eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri View Post
    I have a 1998 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, but it's 18.5".. probably too small for you eh?
    I can't speak for the OP, but I'm 5'11 and ride an '07 Blizzard with a 90mm stem and 740mm Salsa bend bars. Works very well for me.

It's a good suggestion.