mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Regular Maintenance

If you ride on trails weekly on a FS bike, what are you doing as regular maintenance and how often?

Thanks

All fat, all the time.
    Fork and shock rebuild once a year.
    New chain/cassette/chain ring as needed.
    Brake pads twice a year depending what you ride.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Always keep chain clean and lubed and clean the bike overall every few rides.

I pretty much deal with everything else as needed, shocks, gears, cables, brakes, bushings, etc.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Check out some Bike Check videos on line, it should give you some ideas.
    Some things you should do at least once a week if not every ride. Check all of the suspension joints for play. This is easier then it sounds. Lightly pick the bike up from the back of the saddle and see if you feel a slight clunck before it comes off of the ground. This usually means you have warn bushing in the shock. Take a wrench and check all of the pivot bolts. These all have specific torques based on what bike they are on and what type of bearings are being used. So the goal is not to tight down monkey tight but to make sure they are not loose, meaning almost finger loose. Spay some soapy water or simply green on the seals around the suspension and dropper post. Use a clean cloth to wipe off cleanser to remover the dirt that collects on top of the seals. If you are the kind of person that is going through two sets of brake pads a year then check all of the bolts on your bike once a month. Lastly spin your wheels to check for trueness and squeeze the spokes to check for looseness.

-Check suspension pivot bolts.
    -wipe down suspension and dropper post seals
    -check all other bolts
    -squeeze your spokes in pairs.

This sounds like a lot but it can be down pretty quick, you are not check exact torque of everything, just making sure nothing is so loose it is going to be dangerous. Cleaning the seals will help them last longer, and checking your wheels can keep you from really damaging one.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Can be lots of swill where I ride...especially during late fall/winter/early spring. I'm not too good about keeping my bikes spotless but I try to keep drivetrain and suspension clean and lubricated to prolong life. When weather is good there's less maintenance needed.

If ride is wet/mucky I let things dry overnight then do the following...takes about 10 minutes:
    - Clean around pivot points and give them a squirt of lube. Even though most have sealed bearings it helps keep things quiet.
    - Clean grit from fork/shock tubes and give them a little squirt of silicone spray for added slickness and prolong life of rubber wipers.
    - Sometimes I hit the rotors and pads with brakeclean to get all the grit out of them.

Maybe once a month or so:
    - Lubricate shift cables / adjust settings as required to extend life between replacement.
    - Check all fasteners for tightness
    - Check for loose/broken spokes...true wheels as needed
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...